Genital warts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Genital warts

Hi!
I recently discovered a wart in the genital area so I went to a gyn.  She mentioned that it is a wart but needed to check if it was from HPV. She did not want to confirm it came from HPV. She said that HPV may also be infected from public restrooms and the use of hygene products, specifically tampons (I do wear tampons the whole time during the 4 first days of my period).  I have investigated on the internet, but most of the information only makes reference to having multiple sexual partners to be infected.  I have been in a monogamous relationship with my current husband for 5 1/2 years and most of the time we are together even at work so I know he have not had any other partner during this time.  We did have other partners before we were together. My previous pap (2 yrs ago) was ok, only found an infection because of  apparently I 'cleaned' my genital area way to much or at least that's what I was told. My age is 32.
The questions are:  1) are there any other reason for genital warts? I got a friend that her 'genital warts'  were actually fatty deposits...
2) what are other possible sources of infection to get HPV besides sexual contact?
3) is it possible that common warts (which my husband has in his hand) can be passed on to genital warts (to me)? I found info that says it is possible and some other where it says is not possible...
4) If I got HPV years ago, is it possible that warts show up until now (assume 6 + yrs latest)? I also found that some sources say it is possible and others where it says that if warts show is only after several weeks after being infected...
Please clarify since my appointment back to the gyn is in a week and I'm getting really paranoic :)
agez
I read that~
there are 100 different types of warts most of which are harmless,  30 are spread through sexual contact. and are either low risk or high risk. In low risk cases, “genital warts cause single or multiple bumps that appear in the genital areas” of men or women. High-risk types of HPV cause cancers of the cervix, vulva, vagina, anus, or penis.
# 1  #2 & # 3  --  They are VERY contagious.You can get them during oral, vaginal, or anal sex with an infected partner. You can also get them by skin-to-skin contact during vaginal, anal, or (rarely) oral sex with someone who is infected. If you are infected but have no symptoms, you can still spread genital warts to your partner.
# 4   --  -It says that the hpv can lay dormant for  months or years before symptoms may occur.

So did your dr. do a hpv test?  Are you going back to dr. in a week to get the results?

I wish you well and hope for HPV free.