WOMEN'S HEALTH
COMMUNITY
Getting a tattoo while pregnant...
by NikiP, Aug 10, 2006
Hi everyone.

I have a tattoo on my thigh of my ex-boyfriends name whom i have not been with in over 6 1/2yrs. After dating my fiance and getting serious he told me that i needed to get rid of the tattoo, then i got pregnant with my daughter who is now 4. I am pregnant again, 11 wks today. I really need to get rid of this tattoo before having this baby. I want to get it covered up with another tattoo. I tried laser removal, and it seriously hurts more than childbirth so i never went back. i have been reading articles whether or not it was safe to get a tattoo while pregnant and i'm confused. Although there is no medical proof that getting a tattoo while pregnant is dangerous to the fetus,  some articles say yes, others say no. What do you guys think?
Member Comments (45)
by jgonzales, Aug 10, 2006
I would cover it up with a bandaid or something..
They will not remove a tattoo while pregnant!
by AnnieBrooke, Aug 10, 2006
The problem with tattoos is that even though they change needles for each new customer, they don't open new ink for each person, and so you are getting ink that has been exposed to other people's body fluids.  (This might differ state by state, and an astute tattooist would have figured out to pour the ink into little dishes and toss the excess, rather than dipping into a bigger pot, but that was the way it was when I got a tattoo.)  The worry is about AIDS and hepatitis, as well as infections.  

Removing a part of a tattoo can also be done by making a z-shaped cut in the skin and cutting it out, if it is on a place on your body where there is some excess, a la the derriere.  You wouldn't do this for a large tatt, but you could do the letters of a name.  And I don't think doing that during pregnancy would cause any problems.  

See if you can talk over your options with a good dermatologist who would understand your desire not to go around branded with "Mr. Ex Lover, Hot Stud" when having your current man's babies.

Good luck!
by justlittleolme, Aug 10, 2006
I got two tatoos while pregnant (well one during two of my pregnanices). This was when I did not know I was pregnant. All was well and the drs were not really worried about it since I went to shops that use single use needles HOWEVER a tattoo place is not supossed to tattoo you if they know you are pregnant... and even though the risks are small, I wouldnt get one if I had known I was pregnant.

If it bothers him, keep it covered... The baby's health should be more important to him than the tattoo
by mumwith#4, Aug 10, 2006
Hi - I agree with sailorswife - Unless you're aboslutely positive that no harm will come to the pregnancy you shouldn't do anything until after the baby is born. I mean really if your fiance has not enforced it until now - he surely can wait a bit longer. If he has faith in your love for him then waiting until it's safe should not be an issue. But if he is really pursuing it now - you have to wonder why? Have a talk with him - tell him you want to respect his wishes but that the most important thing at the moment is the wellbeing of your unborn baby and that comes first. Tell hime you have done some research and you too want to get rid of the tattoo as soon as possible but that it will have to wait until after the baby is born. Let him know that you love and respect him and that that's why you're marrying him and having his children. This might help to allay his concerns about the tattoo still being there. He cannot keep punishing you for something that you felt before he came onto the scene. Sure if you had your time again and knew you were going to end up with him you might not have got the tattoo to begin with - but the fact is you did but that does not mean you feel any less about your fiance. Best of luck - be strong!
by NikiP, Aug 11, 2006
Thank you all for your comments.

I am not showing at all thats why i was just going to get the tattoo done now. My fiance has been mentioning it through out the whole time we have been together, and everytime i would have plans to remove it something like financial issues would come up. Now that i have the money, and i end up pregos. My fiance's silly self wont pay for it, he says i should have never got it done in the first place.
by jen2006, Aug 12, 2006
Good Morning All... my brother owns a tattoo shop and I asked him while I was pregnant about why (or why not) he wouldn't tattoo a pregnant woman. He said it isn't necessarily a health issue, it is because often the pain is too much and may put the person being tattoo'd into shock (of sorts) and can cause the baby stress. And if they are farther along, the stress/pain can put them into labor.  It isn't totally out of the question.. but it isn't a great idea. Hope this helps!