Getting off of Depo Provera after 11 years - need advice
I have been on depo for 11 years. I would be due for my next shot on 9/27 but my Doctor has advised that I stop having it. She has been treating me for migraines and depression with Imitrex (when needed) and a daily dosage of Prozac of 10mg. The Imitrex thankfully, works, and the migraines have also been lessened by the Prozac. However, I continue to have nasty "low" days when I can barely function and have also experienced symptoms of hypoglycemia and panic attacks and or crying jags for no reason.

I have been reading a lot about the Depo side effects some women have had and they mirror mine. I've had a thyroid test and it was fine, so I don't think that I'm diabetic.

I have been trying to eat well and clense with milk thistle to try to hasten the exit of the Depo.  

At the beginning of this week,I developed a yeast infection and did the 1 day Monistat. It seemed to work after 3/4 of a day, but now the yeast infection is seeming like it's back. Ugh.

I'm wondering if there is more that I can do to get it out of me or something I should request of my Dr? I don't want to take more drugs for the panic/anxiety, but will if it's going to be a long haul to "detox" from this stuff. I'm assuming that the yeast infection may be due to the hormones trying to kick back in or the fact that I was working out in the hot sun all weekend and was definitely sweating (don't think I need to say more on that).

If anyone can shed some light, I'd appreciate it. I don't know why all of these nasty symptoms appeared over the last 2 years when I'd been on it so long.

TIA!
hi. i've been on the depo for 4 years and i have had enough. Im switching to cerazette in 3 weeks when my next shot is due. I was told when i went on it that my periods would stop. I've had irregular bleeding for 4 years, sometimes light spotting other times heavy bleeding. I've had bleeding during and after sex, weight gain, migraines and terrible tender breasts. And my mood swimgs are really bad. The bleeding is the hardest to deal with, and constantly feeling bloated. I still need contraception so im going to try cerazette, a proestogen only pill. I cant take the combined pill becauseo of my migraines. I wouldnt recommend this injection to anyone, its ruined my life.
My boyfriend and I have been discussing the option of having a baby.  We said we would wait until Feb next year (for financial reasons).  I am 35 this year and have been on depo since I was 21, so 14 years.  After skimming through these comments I am now very frightened.  We decided I would go off the injection around Feb and if it happened, it happened.  I've never really wanted to have a baby until now, and if it doesn't happen for natural reasons it wont bother me, but if its because of this injection, I will be mortified!  Why do medical professionals allow us to keep going with this for so long without proper check ups and discussing the side effects fully with us?  Why do they not advise us to go off it and give our bodies a break?  This information needs to be made known to people when they want to make a decision about going onto it.
I decided to stop depo; my last shot was in march and when june came around i decided to just say no. i am excited and scared all at the same time. Dawgcr, I have been doing to my current OBGYN for the past 4 years and he make me take a bone density test every year and will not write my prescription unless it is in normal range. I lied to him because i was afraid he would not give me the shot. It has been almost 4 months for me and no AF not even spotting.  i really havent had any major changes but figure after 13 years on depo, it may take some time.  I have an appt with the doctor to discuss alternative birth control methods later this month.  I have no ideal what i want to switch to and not sure i even want a AF.  Michelle I am glad to hear things are going good with you, kinda like a motivation for me.  So i will let you all know what happens, thanks!!
I was on Depo for 7 years or so. It was like a dream for the first 5, I loved not having a period! After 5 years, I noticed a huge drop in my libido. By the time I had been on Depo for 7 years, I had no sex drive at all whatsoever, to the point where I no longer felt like a woman, I didn't feel attractive, and I didn't want to go out at all. I made the choice to go off Depo, and onto birth control pills to get some estrogen into my body, and get a controlled period back.
Two years of flip flopping on many kinds of pills, I find out I am hypertensive, and my doc refuses to renew a prescription for the pill. As I do not intend to bear children, I was offered Depo once again as a viable method of birth control that would not affect my blood pressure. One shot was enough to drive me over the edge! I gained 25lbs in a little over a month, cravings through the roof, mood swings, hot sweats, you name it! I made the choice to not continue on Depo, and instead to try and get the money together for a Mirena IUD. I also decided to detox my body from hormones for the first time in 11years.

I was due to get another shot at the end of May. It's now end of July, and I have not had a period yet. I've lost 17lbs in the last 2 months (without changing my diet or daily habits). Not being on an effective form of birth control is affecting my sex life, as my partner and I have a strong aversion to condoms, and I haven't been able to get in to get the Mirena due to a string of unavoidable events. I really just want to get a period, more than anything, as not getting anything terrifies me into thinking maybe I'm pregnant! I also have been plagued with TERRIBLE yeast infections while coming off Depo... ugh

I would not recommend Depo Provera.
I started Depo in Nov of 2004 after the birth of my son.  It's been almost six whole years and I'm now 41 years old.  I loved not having periods, too- no spotting and bleeding for me. I, too, raved about Depo as the greatest thing since sliced bread...BUT the bone density loss concerns over time definitely scares me..and the weight gain and bloating made me want to stop. I was due for a shot July 6, 2010 and didn't go... My husband hasn't made the appointment for a vasectomy (yet)- can't afford to miss work to recover, even for a week or a few days.  I'm glad I found this forum- learned a lot from all your posts.I, too had a bone scan two years ago- and it was normal.  
Mood swings?  If anything, I feel more moody this month since going off Depo- but I was almost suicidal in May this year...so maybe things are gradually better (just crying at the drop of a hat now- not wanting to die)It's August and still no period, but I have had a few cramps and I was hoping (sort of hoping) that it was my period- but no period, yet...reading your posts, it might be awhile I guess- or not!  No breast tenderness yet- but most of you say that starts in a month or so after going off it...so I'm dreading that starting.  I thought I might have gotten pregnant already, but the dollar store preg test was negative (phew!)
I've tried the IUD in the past, but the cramps and bleeding were so uncomfortable I wanted it out within the month I tried it.  Plus, sex was painful with it. I have tried the pill in the past (teens and 20's) but it made me so naseuos (sp sorry) I had to stop.  That's why I loved Depo- no pain, no cramps except right before I was due for a shot, and no feeling sick to my stomach.  (Just weight gain and mood swings)
Soooooo, I await my period, the big "V" for hubby, and relief of having this hormone gone from my body.  The other fear I had on Depo was, being a smoker, that it can increase your risk of a stroke.....I'm also trying to quit that, too. :o)

i was a 10 year depo user. i began taking the depo when i was 13 and for years thought it was the greatest thing. i loved not havng periods!! i never had any anxiety or depression luckily but the loss of boss density and being infertile for life made me re-evaluate my situation and quit getting the shot. have now been off of it for about 4 months and all was good so far including the fact i lost 34lbs. but for the last month and a half my boobs have hurt so bad that even to just look at them makes me want to cry (and i have went from a 34B to a full C since i stopped the shot and im sure the depo had something to do with that.) about two and a half weeks ago i started what i thought was my period, it was extremely heavy and painful but i figured it had been so long i just forgot what it was like. it lasted about a week and a half and quit for two days. i then began bleeding moderately again. this afternoon i had the worst cramping and vaginal pain of my life almost like someone was stabbing me with a knife, a few hours later when i stood up i began bleeding heavily all over myself (literially running down my legs and into my boots). i am a paramedic and yet i was shocked at the excessive amount of free flowing blood EVERYWHERE!! the bleeding has continued at an insanely heavy rate still 4 hours later. lucky for me i am at work and close by an ambulance in case something really bad happens. my blood pressure has seemed to maintain so far but who knows. i am scared to go to a doctor in fear they will try to coax me into adding another hormone or birth control POISON into my system. I am glad i found this post so i know that i am not alone!! i wouldnt recommend this TORTURE to my worst enemy!!
Ok, so I have been reading all of your depo experiences and FREAKIN A WOW! I started using the depo shot after my 3rd child who will be 4 in April of 2011. My last shot was exactly on May 5th, 2010, because I like to allow mother nature to take its course just once atleast every 3rd shot. I usually get a FULL BLOWN HEAVY period as I did before depo, but this time I spotted maybe 3 to 4 drops in late September and nothing since. I havent had any withdrawl issues, but I have noticed that I am waaaay more active in EVERY aspect of life. I have lost weight, the heart palps have stopped and I love my man again! So, we just recently (early October) decided to start trying for our 4th child(hopefully a girl cuz I have 3 boys). It is now November 7, 2010 and I have been experiencing some major nipple and ovarian soreness as if I have been working them out for the last 2 weeks. I have taken urine tests and they are all neg. Im thinking I should wait for my HCG's to accumilate or if Im not pregnant, should I still wait for a real period? I mean, is there any risk in recovering depo users of having still-borns or even mentally retarded children? I know I havent been on it as long as most of you on here, but everyone is different. Well I hope I am pregnant, but meanwhile, I wish you all the best in recovering. I have to call my sister now (depo user) and try to convince her to get off of it, because she just started taking prescription drugs for her depression...stupid doctors! God Bless you All!
I AM SOO GLAD I FOUND THIS WEBSITE!!!! I am going on 18 i have been on depo since i was 14. when i first got on the shot like everone else i loved not having periods. I didnt have any weight gain (which i had hoped for because i was only 100 lbs) i was due for a shot in September but i didnt get it because i was thinking about getting off until i got those first couple of periods i also had yeast infections and extream breast pain(but they did grown when i got off). then i just got back on it last month now i am really considering getting off for good that i have seen all these things that you ladies hav go through...nex shot is due in feb but im not getting it so does anyone have any detox advice
thankx <3
I was off & on depo for approx 16 years. I didn’t put weight whilst on depo, in actual fact it assisted with my fibrocystic breasts – the lumps just went away.  I put this down to depo decreasing the amount of estrogen we produce in our bodies – which is the cause of fibrocystic breasts.  Anyway, every time I tried to come off depo I would go through revolting hormonal surge periods like I was going through menopause.  I had no idea what was happening to me, other than it was hell.  I finally resolved in going off depo for good 2 years ago & still feel like my body is finding its hormonal balance.  After researching symptoms I do believe since coming off depo I experience ‘Estrogen Dominance’ – look up Dr Lees book called ‘Hormone Hell to Hormone Well’.  No amount of exercise, healthy eating, water intake, vitamins actually fix this hormone imbalance.  I finally come across natural progesterone cream which has certainly taken the edge off my anxiety – feel a lot calmer.  My stomach has lost the pregnancy bloating feeling that happened immediately after I came off depo.  The last thing I’m trying to treat is my enlarged breasts….when ever I tried to come off depo my breasts would increase in size & really hurt…the progesterone cream has not addressed this, so I’m now taking: DIM supplements and have ordered Lugol’s Iodine.  Apparently Iodine fixes fibrocystic breasts and reduces swelling.  Some posts I’ve read have actually experienced breasts shrinking.  I do hope I can achieve this as well – as I’m very uncomfortable.  I expect to pick up the iodine liquid at the end of this week, so I will come back to this site after a week to let you know how I get on & if any improvement.  I do hope this post has helped.  Doctors have no idea what they are giving us…we need to research & share our stories & let each other know what natural alternatives have worked.  The reason why iodine is not widely known about is because it is natural & can’t be patented and therefore pharmaceutical giants can’t make millions.  The same goes for the bio-natural progesterone….which is made out of wild yam…DO YOUR RESEARCH AND DON’T BELIEVE EVERYTHING A DOCTOR TELLS YOU.
Eliza
I started taking Depo when I was 14 years old I am now 26. I was off of it for a couple years and was on the pill called seasonal because my Dr said it wasn't good to be on it for more that 2 years at a time, due to their studies showing it lowers bone density. I went back on it after being off of it for a couple years because my Dr said that they did more studies and apparently it was safe again. I took my last shot in October 2009, I didn't get a period until April 2010, then I got it again in May and started getting it every two weeks. I called my Dr because I hadn't had a period in so long I was not ready to deal with one every two weeks, she put me on the pill for 3 months to regulate my periods. I stopped the pill in September and since then I have been getting a period but they have been coming every 32-36 days. I have had horrible cramps, mood swings, breast tenderness and I don't like these side effects. My boyfriend & I have been trying to get pregnant it is now the middle of April 2011 and still no luck. I am very irritable and I have no idea why, I start crying for no reason. I put on about 85lbs while I was on Depo and I haven't been able to lose more than 15lbs, I'm sure part of it has to do with depression which has seemed to get better since being off of it. After reading all your posts I'm glad I found this site makes me feel like I'm not alone. I have had Drs tell me that it can take between 12-18 months to get pregnant after Depo but its getting quite frustrating after trying for so long and having no luck. The last week or so I have had some lower abdomen cramps that come & go and some weird lower and middle back pain, not sure if its stress or that maybe I'm finally pregnant. If I would have known it would be this hard getting pregnant after getting off of it I would have never taken it. And my dr still can't tell me if I'm ovulating regularly or not, they claim that as long as I'm getting a period every month i should be ovulating. I will check back in a few weeks and post again if I have any news. Thanks for all the info it has helped a lot!
I'm just getting off Depo after almost two years. In that time I have gained almost 40lbs, experienced the depression stage (went on Wellbutrin, Zoloft, and Trazadone). My sex drive went from 100 mph to a crawling 10 mph (lost my husband to several affairs too). Oh, not to mention diabetes and high blood pressure too (both hereditary, but aggrevated and elevated by the depo). I was experiencing shortness of breath, significant hair loss, always hungry and heart futtersm. I literally felt like I was dying at 33. I would diet and exercise and not lose a pound! My diabetes and mood swings were out of control so that's why I decided to stop the shot. I wanted my life and health back. I was due for my next shot April 2011, I didn't get it. For the past three weeks I've been dieting and exercising like crazy. Low carb dieting, an hour of taebo plus a 3 mile walk everyday, and I have not lost 1 pound! So frustrating! Not to mention cramps beyond belief with chocolate colored mucus spotting every now and then. I'm starting to have bouts of hot flashes and headaches (which I'm confused about maybe its my high blood pressure). I'm sorry I'd advised all women to stay away from this method of birth control!
Hi everyone!
First and foremost, I want to thank each and every one of you for keeping this board alive! I found you all last year, around January, and let me just say, it changed my life entirely. I was doing some research, just Googling around "depo support groups and advice,"

Let me introduce myself. My name is Brittany, I'm 22 and I'm an ex-depo survivor. I began it in September of 2008, and it's officially been out of my system, or to be blunt about it. I FINALLY GOT MY PERIOD AGAIN in May 2010. (Happy 1 year to me!)
I gained 40lbs during that time & DID NOT bleed once! And along with the rest of you, I experienced serious anxiety and depression issues. I began to see a therapist also, and they prescribed me, Gabapentin (aka Neurontin) AND Seroquel. I suffered a side effect called "tardive dyskinesia" from the Neurontin. It's the equivalent of having tourettes syndrome. (in fact, the two are difficult to diagnose as their symptoms are similar.)
It was so bad. I would just sit there and twitch. My head was out of control. My neck always hurt and I couldn't sleep still.. sometimes at all. Too afraid of not waking up. Afraid my brain would explode. I was a nutcase. My boyfriend, (who has loved me and has been there by my side through all of this) could tell you how bad it was. He doesn't like to admit to it, and I hate thinking about it but there would be times where he would just yell at me to stop twitching, and I'd cry because I couldn't. I'd lay there and just keep wondering when things would go back to normal. When would I feel normal again? Would I ever feel normal again? Maybe?
I was sort of forced off of the Neurontin, in December 09. I was visiting family in IN, and my therapist office informed me that my case had been canceled, and I was no longer a patient of theirs. (for missing 3 weeks, that I made sure to tell them I'd be missing.) They didn't say anything about my medicine, just tossed me off to the side.
So I figured.. "If I'm getting off of this stuff, I might try to get off of Depo, and try something else also"
And so I found you ladies. You're all so wonderful.
I remember showing Steven (boyfriend of 4 years<3) all the posts, and how much sense it made to us.
Everything just CLICKED. A light went off. A weight was lifted. A sigh of relief was taken.

I switched to Loestrin 24FE last April, and 1 month later, I was back to bleedin.
I don't mean to sound gross or weird when I say this but to me, it was a beautiful moment.
I was an early bloomer (10yo!) and I felt like my sense of self as a woman was straight up stolen from me.
I didn't feel sexy. Didn't really feel like I was 'normal'
So when I called my Dr to tell her I was bleeding and hear the excitement in her voice too, made it that much more of a happy moment for me.
(ain't it funny when a Dr. actually wants you to bleed! LOL)

And now.. It's been a whole year (time flies) that I've been taking the pill faithfully at 9:30pm.
I bleed like I'm supposed to.
I feel like I'm supposed to.
There's no more depression, or anxiousness.
No more awful head twitching.

I'm finally back to me.

Oh and by the way.... I cannot seem to shed 1 single pound either!! If anyone finds the cure, LET ME KNOW!

Thank you all very very much.

Brittany
OH my gosh!! I just found this site while trying to figure out whether or not I was losing my freaking mind!

I was a 10 year depo user. My mom (who is a NP) put me on it when I turned 13. I never knew it was BC until I was about 17, but I never had a period while on depo. My parents went through an awful divorce in 2006, and I have dealt with depression from what I thought was that! Clearly my depo had a LOT to do with my horrible moods!!!

My last depo shot was due Jan 6th of this year and I did not take it. I had 1 AF in April, but it would be on then off..on then off.. and that lasted for about a week total. Between Jan and April, my husband was almost ready to kill me - I was almost bipolar! My OB-GYN told me this was NOT normal (obviously he's clueless) and put me on Pristiq. Since having the Pristiq, I've been better hormonally, but in the last week the bipolar crazy woman has returned. I notice that I get SO angry over STUPID stuff - and it's like I'm watching someone else because I can't do anything to not be mad!!

My husband and I are TTC, and I should have ovulated within the last 2 weeks. For the past 3 days, I have been having random bleeding - it's dark in color, and if I use 1 tampon it's enough. At first I thought this might be because I was pregnant and the baby was implanting, but after reading these posts I'm not so sure!! The odd thing is, I don't actually bleed out onto my panties, so it's just hanging out inside my vagina. I also have this strange...pressure?... in my ovaries/uterus. It almost feels like someone is squeezing them, and it doesn't exactly hurt but it feels very odd. I am only 22, so I am hoping that we can conceive sometime soon. Since I'm young, maybe it won't take as long - but I can't imagine having to wait over a year!

Anyone with any updates PLEASE share!
Hi, i'm 36 (37 in sept) and was on the depo for 13 years since the birth of my  second daughter, separation, divorce, death in family, loosing the house, i'd had enough and came off it, 18ish months later, two very very heavy periods, (changing the pad every hour and it was a night time one) the doc put me on cerazette, non stop bleeding for 5 weeks until i can off it, since the nowt, nothing, nada, my new bf and i are trying to get pregnant, but i'm so scared that my time has run out.

Any advice? And thank you to all, i just wish i'd know this before xxx
I just found this blog and OMG! I never realized how bad the Depo was for you and that you weren't supposed to use for 15 years like it had been.  At my last shot, the doctor told me that now than I am 40 I can't use any BC with estrogen or progestern and that I would no longer get the shots.  So I didn't get my shot last month.  Thought I should google Depo and see when I might get my period or pregnant and found this site. It's been one month w/o Depo and so far so good.  No period, but no other weird stuff either. I'm terrified of getting pregnant, but unsure about what to do now.  If I had health insurance I'd have more options, but I'd need a better job.  Thanks for being here for those of us who needed the info. Good luck to all of us.
i really REALLY need some advice. Ive been on the depo shot for around 4-5 years. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia around 2 years ago. It literally hurts when someone pokes me in the arm. to the point i want to cry. I also have been having headaches recently, and have had ALOT of weight gain. My next shot is due at the end of this month and im trying to decide if i should get it. Im wondering if my fibromyalgia may be linked to my depo shot. Is there any good BC to switch to? and has anyone else had pain issues being on the depo. My back hurts all the time to the point i can barely sleep. im on pain meds, muscle relaxers and sleep meds. my body hurts ALL the time. and its awful :( can anyone give me any advice?
IAm 22 and was put on depo at 11 for extreme bleeding. Every single day of my life I need to expect bleeding. It comes on whenever it wants and as heavy as it wants. I just had surgery a month ago and found out things that have made me miss out on slot at my age because of depo. My bleeding never stopped I bled for weeks at a time. I now take anxiety and depression meds. I am in early stages of menopause. Depo caused my body to fill clots Iam now on a blood thinner. I can't drink alcohol anymore because I instantly feel unsettled and shaky. My boobs hurt extremely but I feel they r growing. During my surgery there was a risk issued of sterilization caused by depo aside the fact that the surgeon lacerated my cervix severely and almost caused me to hemorrage. I have not had sex in over a year I had 2 mis carriages on depo.  I have no urge to have sex as it hurts when I do due to being dry. I am off since my new ob found out how long I had been on the drug and the damage it caused. I have had  periods sine my surgery which was a mnth ago. My bleeding still ***** and I've been dealing with this since I was 11 . I dk wat else to do. But Iam waiting to see if I'll ever b able to carry a child or they can reverse the menopause. Iam only 22
Hello all.. I was on the pill for about 10 years, and then I got a blood clot (DVT) in my calf (which is a whole other story) - I was advised to go on Depo as the pill would increase my rick of further blood clots, and with the advantage of not getting my period, why would I say no... I have only had 2 injections and I am not getting a third.. I have gained weight, been anxioius, had major mood swings, no sex drive, am tired all the time and I get irritated at the most simple things that I used to just laugh at. I just dnot feel like myself at all.. My next injection is due at the end of September - I cant wait to be free of these un-natural hormones.. I am a little bit nervous about the withdrawal effects, but at least they will have a light at the end of the tunnel.. Can anyone tell me how long it took for them to conceived after coming off Depo.. my partner and I want to start trying at the start of the year (as I was told by my Dr that it would only take about 3 months to go back to normal.. ) but after reading this and several other threads I am starting to think that it is going to take a lot longer than that...If there is someone out there that has sucessfully conceived post depo I would love to know how long it took you..

Good luck to all out there.. at least we know we are not alone :)
I was on depo for only a year and a half, but I always had a period with the shot. I recently quit the shot (about 5 weeks ago) and had the worst period of my life right afterwards. My doctor told me that this was a good sign, she said it might mean that I actually ovulated. My husband and I have decided that we would life to conceive. We have been trying and I am late for my period...hopefully all goes well. I am nervous though after reading about how depo can cause MC's. Also, after reading other posts I now understand why my heart raced and my sides would start killing me. I unfortunately started to have depression from the shot and had decided to switch...then decided to just get off of everything completely and try to conceive. I also read on here about ladies gaining weight...I fortunately have lost weight. I was 145lbs when I started taking depo and now I weigh 130lbs. Hopefully, this helps someone...I believe there is hope for our bodies health after taking depo. I just wish someone would have told be about all these side effects before I started taking the shot.
Oh...and I almost forgot in the 5 weeks of being off depo my breast have grown a size...whether it be pregnancy or depo it's nice to be a b instead of an a...
I am yet another person who has been on the depo for over 10 years, found it amazing and had very few issues, loved not having a period, but it did give me acne and a few years ago did decrease my sex drive, but I still had it as I was so used to it and had many issues with the pill. I never wanted to have children, but now I have met the right man I do!!! I was so anxious about coming off, it has been such a reliable contraceptive and overall I cannot complain. I have gained some weight, but over 10 years the chances are that was going to happen anyway. I am 34 now and hoping to start a family next year. After talking with my partner, GP and seeing this site, I made the decision not to have my last shot, that was due 15th Aug. I must say, I have not had any depression or anxiety that other people have talked about and I feel like I am going into the unknown. My breasts hurt like mad, I keep getting bouts of what I call "phantom" period pains, but these are nothing like what I remember period pains to be like, so again, I guess I can't complain. When I went on this there was very little information available, in fact, I was on the pill for 7 years (many different ones as none really suited me) and back then they advised  not taking the pill for more than 7 yrs, thats why I had the depo as the pros seemed to outweigh the cons. I would say to anyone that sees this site on researching the depo, if you think its for you then dont be put off, just bear in mind all the comments that have been posted. We are all different, I am still dreading things returning to normal and still wonder if they will. At 34 I should not have acne, I am slightly overweight but as I eat healthy and exercise 3/4 times a week I am confident I can lose this. I hope that I my skin will clear for my wedding next year and things will start to return to normal. I am very concerned about MC's and my heart goes out to those who have dealt with this. I do feel like I am 11 again, wondering if that first period will catch me off guard and embarrass me!!! But, as much as I am dreading that day, I think I will feel like a woman again. In my early 20's, any period ofg time without periods seemed like the best ever thing, now I am not so sure. I know this is early days for me and will keep you all posted. I hope this helps, as this site as really helped me, otherwise I would still be on it- they say it MAY take 18 mths to get back to normal, but if you want to start a family best use condoms while you let the drug come out your body.
I only got the depe shot once. I have been off it since june 20th. I had withdrawls, very intense nausea, depression, minor emotional breakdowns. I seem to be back to normal now except for spotting. I keep spotting, overall i would say its a lot of liquid coming out of my body but its not like a period, its very thin, looks pink, but enough comes out for me to have to wear a pad or tampon. I had this happen around the time my period was supposed to come, so I was very glad, but it lasted for 9 days instead of the usual 7. Then a week and a half later it came back again and now i have been spotting non stop for four days. Does anyone have any advice please
WOW.

I am floored. I thought, literally, I was losing my mind. I'm 41, have been on depo since 2003 and have had so many strange and "seemingly" unrelated mental and physical symptoms come up since then that it never occurred to me depo may be the reason. Like many here, the first couple of years seemed fine - but the past 6 years have been a slow slide into awful depression, and recently anxiety as well. Since going on depo I have experienced over time:

- Weight gain in the first couple of years (I was able to lose this, but only through extremely strenuous exercise daily and a very restricted diet)
- Depression that has grown worse over time from mild depression to complete loss of interest in everything and zero ambition (which has greatly impacted my career)
- Memory loss that started in 2004 where I can't think of very obvious names or words
- Leg and buttock muscle pain that started in 2006 that comes and goes and is horrible - seems to get worse as the time for my shot nears - had every back and muscle test in the land, no apparent cause
- A strange skin issue in 2006-2007 that the doctors were completely unable to diagnose and ended up giving me Accutane for (which worked, but is an awful drug) - only after they tried every cream, soap, lotion and anti-biotic in the land
- Sweating so bad starting in 2007 that seemed to come out of nowhere and has had me constantly worried for years in social and work situations
- Adverse reaction to all medications, vitamins and anti-depressants which started in 2006 - drugs that I've taken in the past with no adverse effects whatsoever - ALL of them now cause tingling in my legs and feet that is unbearable
- And recently, just for fun, anxiety - which I have never, ever had in my life and would not wish on anyone.

I am interested to hear from anyone who has experienced any of these things.

Looking back, I realize that these things have each slowly gotten worse over time, and that absolutely not one of them was in play prior to going on depo. After reading these posts it was the depression that really made sense to me, it took this forum for me to realize how bad it is now, and how it has progressed over time for no apparent reason.

The amount of money I've spent on therapists, doctors, treatments, tests, holistic solutions, and more is insane. All of these issues have been a vicious circle where one thing seems to make the other thing worse. I have been to 28 different types of doctors - no answers. And no one ever asked me about the depo, though it was in my files.

I am due for my shot this week, and have decided not to go in. I lost my boyfriend recently due to all of these issues constantly being on my mind and making me nervous, worried and depressed. So, don't need BC. And, true to form, because it's time for my shot, the leg pain has resurfaced.

I am very excited to see if going off the depo helps return me to normal. I used to be very active, engaged, fun and excited - now am just sad and uninterested. I need to remind myself to be patient as I know it takes time to get out of the system but having read the posts here I am positive that a large number of the things I have been going through have been due to this drug - it is the only constant across all of these issues. Thanks for all of the great insights!
My daughter (16 years old) was given a depo injection to control her migraines which she was getting monthly.  What a nightmare!  She has had a migraine for 3 months straight.  Having only had one injection, we are waiting for the depo to leave her system and hopefully she can get her life back.  She has missed 13 days of school this semester because she could not function.  She has lost 15 pounds, has dark circles under her eyes and is in contant pain.  She has trouble concentrating and is very moody.  We were not told of any of these possible side effects or she would never have had the injection.  She finally had her first real period 2 weeks ago and actually went 2 days without a headache.  Just when we thought we were on the downhill side of things she has now had a headache for 3 days straight.  If anyone has any information on what we can do to help the detox, please let us know.  If anyone is considering getting the depo shot.  Please for you own sake, don't do it.
wow, this truley blows my mind!!! i just got off the depo shot a year ago, bc me and my boyfriend wanted to have a baby, i was doing some reaserch about how long could it take to get pregnant and i came across this site, i am stilll i guess you would call it "detoxing" depression, axiety, the feeling im pregnant and everything seems to be getting worse not better, and ive been off the shot now for a year, a few months ago i started having a period of i guess what i thought was one it was brown for a while, then about 2 months ago it started getting red again, the past month i only had my period for 2 days thinking and praying maybe i was pregnant, im glad to read all this because now i dont feel so alone, i just thought i was stressing myself and maybe thats why i was depressed and so on, but after reading your storys it makes complete sence, i forget things all the time, i also have been havin sever back pain and extreme pain like a period cramp but much worse, also i said something to my OBGYN about my off heart beats they said to just go see my dr. i cant believe this has been going on this long and the drs are still giving this to people! i hope this hurrys up and gets outta my system soon, i feel like im loosing myself, and my mind! and i want so bad to finally have a baby with the one i love...i hope things change soon!! i hate being this "person"!
Hi. I had been having the injection for 8 or 9 years and came off last year. I had one period then nothing until last month. Lately I have this over whelming feeling I am pregnant but have dont a test and it was negative. I have been feeling depressed and like I am going crazy, I am so moody and on the edge of crying all the time. I am tempted everyday to go for a long walk and just keep going. I am normally so happy, but at the moment like I am not me if that makes sense. I didnt feel like this when I first stopped having the injection but it has hit me the last 2 or 3 months. I had no negative symptons when taking it.

I have read people get depressed on depo but not sure if people have after stopping?
ive didnt get the way i am untill afterwards either, its called "detoxing" and it *****!!!! :(
I had been on Depo since November of 2004. My Depo was great for the first full year. I had no period which was awesome at the time; I used to be laid up in bed for three days because I couldn't walk more than a few feet without soaking a super-plus tampon AND pad. No weight gain. Felt normal. Very active sex life with my partner.

Then right before my fifth shot (November 2005), it all hit the fan. I literally went into full blown mood swings so bad, they gave me HEAVY antidepressants and benzos. I gained 25 lbs in a month and had NO sex drive. (To be fair, part of these issues were medication-related due to the Depo-induced mania) I gained an additional 35 lbs over the next five years.  The worst part were the uncontrollable rages I would have every few months. Rages in which my partner would literally have to tie my hands and sit on me to prevent any harm to the house, myself, or him. I began tracking the rages and realized they were cyclical and coincided with the last two weeks of a Depo cycle. Then I lost the additional 35 lbs this year through hard work but the initial 25 were sticking despite continued rigorous exercise and diet changes. I had also been suffering from that Depo haze where I lost track of what I am saying, couldn't remember words, and general memory loss. That was the last straw!

I had a Paragard IUD inserted last week after my Depo shot I had in July. I got really lucky with my new insurance and they covered everything with a $30 copay! I can already feel my head clearing up, mood stabilizing, sex drive revving and I'll be doing a Master Cleanse as a detox in January to move the hormones out of my body. I already am drinking close to 12 glasses of water a day and upped my fruits and veggies.

I can deal with normal menstrual mood swings and even the god-awful cramping and bleeding compared to everyone thinking I'm crazy and putting me on brain chemicals and hormones. Depo may be the biggest mistake I have ever made.
I have be on the depo shot since Aug of 2009, after i gave birth to my amzing little girl. I am only 21 years olds and have also been diagnosed with panic disorder and have been taking zoloft and lorazopam as needed, well...lately it seems like a month early of me getting my shot I get extremely agitated and i feel like i could cry and run away from myself all at the same time. this ***** because i honestly think that the depo is what triggered everything to come on. I was on normal bc pills, but I had to stop them due to the fact i was getting pains in my legs. The depo works wonders with keeping me from getting pregnant, but I don't have a sex drive either! I stay dry and it takes everything I have to have sex with my fiance, I just am not in the mood anymore.....also I just find it interesting about the side effects...also I do not want to end up losing all of my bone mass due to this. Just confused and I hate this. I am due to get my next shot at the end of jan 2012, but I dont know yet what I want to due because i keep going through these cycles!
I myself am getting ready to go off of the shot. Unfortunately, I to have experienced serious problems in my marriage. It has almost cost me my marriage. I have been on it for 8 years. I have experienced every side effect listed, on every website except the bone density loss thankfully! I think the only thing that saved me besides the calcium supplements was the bad acid reflux I get and the amount of tums I eat! I am nervous myself as I am a week out from being due and am feeling horribly fatigued, anxious, angry, and the headache and cramps have started. It is going to be a long next couple of months. Steph
Dear Kimmie,
Could you give me some weight loss advice?  I was on Depo for about 2 yrs, then stopped it because I gained 50 pounds in 2 years, regardless of working out all the time and eating healthy (I even kept a food journal to control my calories!)  After stopping Depo, I took Yaz (which also contains progesterone) for about 4 months, but then stopped taking all hormonal B.C. altogether.  Now my hubby & I use alternate, non-hormonal methods, and I've been off Depo for over a year now.  My question for you is this:  is there ANY way to kick-start my weight loss?  Any legitimate supplements or "detox" things you know of that can help me start burning fat?  Thanks so much for your help, and I wish I had known about the horrible side effects of this drug before I began it!  
Sincerely,
Rachel L.
I have been receiving Depo for the past 11 years, as my Dr's solution to dealing with an unplanned pregnancy that ended up being full term still born. Prior to the shot I had a severely light 3 day cycle every 2 months at best. I was advised that being so irregular, the shots were the best thing for me. I have never checked the side effects of it since I was put on it, and of course was assured it was absolutely safe.
Since beginning the shots, I have had a total immune shutdown. Muscular and nerve breakdown. I'm being treated for swelling in my brain that causes severe bleeding, and have had a global motility shutdown of my lower stomach and intestines, with a delay in esophageal function. Not being able to eat or digest properly I was put on a liquid diet and still gained 120lbs in 4 months- undiagnosed. 8 years spent in a diagnostic center, and still completely undiagnosed in regards to everything - just heavily medicated with a chemical cocktail to control the symptoms, and put on disability. The depression and anxiety I developed over the years was always attributed to the loss in the quality of my health.
Last year I spoke to my Dr about coming off of the Depo, as later in life my husband and I wanted to try for a family - and was advised I had been on it too long and had less then 5% chance of ever conceiving. I was also refused the option to switch to something else.  After 2 more shots that year, I decided to just no show my next appointment and boycott the shot.
That was the end of October. November I had what appeared to be a normal cycle, but at what should have been the end of it - it became increasingly worse. I called my Dr's multiple times, and was told not to worry about it. December came, and was worse then November. Still, no action from the Dr's. January came, and by the middle of the month I was having to change pads every 30 minutes, my breasts felt as though they had been mutilated, I couldn't eat or drink, and I was losing consciousness. I was finally hospitalized, and quickly discharged with direction to see my gynecologist first thing in the morning.  At this appointment I was lectured for missing my shot, advised I had no other options to resort to, and told the only way to stop the bleeding and other symptoms was to get another shot.  That was January of 2011, and as of today I am still on the shot with my next one due March 1 - and I so desperately want off of it.

If my Dr will not provide any support for me discontinuing the shot, are there ANY options that I possibly have? I live in an area that once you're lucky enough to have a Dr take you on as a patient, you can't just decide to go to someone else.
I am thinking of going off the depo and have the same fears as you, I see you went off in 2009, how did it go? I am nervous. Any info you can give me will help greatly. Thank you so much.
Hi there,

Just wondering how long it took for the depo to wear off? I am struggling with the die off and want to speed things up, even considered having another shot as I was having it for endometreosis pain and I am really struggling with the aching, paranoia and vision problems. I can barely leave the house cos i feel so strange.

Any advice or help from anyone would be much appreciated.

Thanks alot.

mary
I'm 25 and was on depo for 8 years. I have now been off of it for almost a year and haven't felt right for the past 9 months. It started with an inner ear infection but after that cleared up I still didn't feel myself, usually just kind off lightheaded or foggy feeling. My dr. Said to start my anxiety meds back up but it didn't change anything. I also had a thyroid test and full bloodwork done and everything came back fine. When my periods started back up they were a normal monthly cycle. 2 months ago I started having a cycle every 2 weeks then every other week. This past week I've had pain by my left ovary that spread to my back and I've been very lightheaded. I went to the dr. And they repeated bloodwork and did a regular and transvaginal ultrasound which all came back fine. I have an appointment with an OB in a few days but just wanted to know if anyone had symptoms like these?
I realize that your post is from several years back. I am just wanting to put out there that I am so glad that I found other women that totally understand what I have gone through in the last 10 years. I have been on the depo for 13 years now and am 40 yrs old.  I started out with thinking this was the best thing ever!  Having twins I knew I would not remember the pill everyday and not having periods a bonus! I gained some weight but was able to excercise and eat better and that made a difference with the weight gain. It wasn't until several yrs into taking the depo did I start having mad rages, anxiety, severe depression, mood disorder, loss of concentration, just over all fogginess.  I really really truly just thought I was going crazy and also getting up in age.  Until reading all these forums did I realize that I wasn't the only one going through this and that it is the depo. I am now getting ready to go off the depo with the help of a new gyn. I say that because my old gyn just told me I could go off the depo with no problems or side effects. NOT! After hearing all these stories I was and am terrified of what is about to happen. So, after much research I found a gyn who is awesome. She is going to put me on a very low dose of b/c to help with some of the problems that can come with started your period after not having one for 13yrs. I know alot of ppl say way put more hormones in your body, but I rather be weaned off the just jump in the water also she is doing many test on me, like bone denisty, thyroid which I was dx with a high thyroid, and some other blood tests that are suppose to be done with on depo let alone being on it for so long.  I just wish I had known all this when I first got on depo which that dr didn't even give me a pamplet about it. Because, I just about lost my marriage, my mind and my whole self worth over this horrible ordeal of the depo shot. Since, you have been off of this for awhile please let me know that life does get better and any tips about getting off depo.  
Hi , I had been on this Depo Shot since 2004 . I stooped taking the shot August 2012 , so yea 8yrs. I haven't had my AF yet, I'm going to start a Detox , I'm not trying to get pr-ego just want to get my body back to normal.Wen i started my first shot i was like 120lb max this past year i was weighing 156lb . I'm only 5.3 so this is allot. I currently weigh 140lb not sure if the depo was causing it .The weight started to creep up on the last two yrs. during the first 4yrs my normal wight was 133lb max  so just this  past yrs was wen I started gaining a lot more  weight.Also i was producing milk for not allot but i notice one day wen my nipples were really itchy and i decided to squeeze it and out of nowhere little drops of milk came out . I was scared. That's the reason I didn't continue with the shot . I have been  of the shot for one month now .so will see how it goes ....
oh and also not sure about being depress i thought that the way I was just not friendly .But will see ill keep u guys updated
I have been on Depo since i was 19 years old. I am now 45! So that means i have been on it for more than 25 years! I have had two children and it took me 8 months to have a period before i conceived. I had another baby pretty soon as i was scared that if i went back on it i would take a long time to conceive again. I have had not a period in over 23 years and have experienced no problems with it - EXCEPT NOW - i have been trying to come off it before i hit the menopause and have real problems with the amount of pain i am in. The breast pain is so bad that i am in tears often and cannot let anyone come near me. The doc has taken advice from the family planning dept at the hosp and i can go on having it until i hit the menopause if i wish. I have never been offered a bone density scan or any other drug which could help me come off this horrible drug.

My name is Mary. I recently turned 27 & decided to get off the depo shot after 10 years. I'm curious on what to expect next. Do I need to be worried about anything? Brace myself for something? I'm just very clueless and just want to prepare myself for the worse if I need to.
Hi ive bein on the depo snice 14 im now 24 I have had all the symptoms and bad lows . my mum and sisters have big boobs and I don't im like an A could this be from going on depo at early age ? im comeing off the depo do you think my boobs may get bigger?
I just started doing research on this and came to your post.  I see it was back in 2011 and its 2014, wondering how you made out? I have been on the depo shot for 14 years, it was to treat endodemtreous.  I too was having tremendous pian and pressure.  I just had surgery on Wednesday to remove cysts and to ( after 14 years) make sure it is endodemtreous.  Well long story short it is not endodemtreous! I had " an infection in my tube for very long time, also numerous dried blood clots( that they thought was tumors and cysts). Needless to say they removed 1 ovary and tube on right side along with a cyst, did a dnc to clean blood clots.  Everything was sent for biopsy,  I will not get results until the 29th. Please let me know what you went through, as I had the same symptoms.
Hmmm, I've been on Depo (or devils drug) for 20 years - yes I missed the tdon't stay on it for long memo as well. Mine is for endometriosis that I've had 5 ops for and up to 40 cyst layered each time.
I have mine every 11 weeks as the depression, pain , anxiety and paranoia at 11 weeks is to difficult at work. I've suffered 3 lots of pneumonia, a flu every year, irritable bowl, night leg cramps, several fractures, my bones are a jagered mess, I've osteo in hips and knees and waiting to see an Endo for a RA diagnosis I also have random full blown anaphylaxis to random drugs and foods!
I've been told I'm to switch to marina implant and have decided to come off Depo - it's week 13 since my last injection and wow I've not missed the pelvic pain of Endo!
I've been prepping for a year, lost 18kg, only eat whole foods and now take Spirulina and brewers yeast, I'm hoping this gets me through the other side affects!
Are you sick of people telling us we are too emotional, too moody, too sensitive, bi-polar, and just plain psycho?GET OFF the DEPO! Holy crap. I was only on it for a year and half. I gained 20plus pounds. They told me I was depressed and put me on more pills. My back hurt so I was on pain pills. Then I had panic attacks so there was a pill for that. I cried like all the time and they told me it was stress and I should relax! I went to a massage therapist every week and a chiropractor. I finally found a new doctor cause I am 40 and thought I could not live my life like this anymore! First thing she said...get off Depo! I have gone cold turkey on all the meds and flushed them. I am working with a dietician to help me detox and get all these chemicals out of my system! I am 2 weeks past when I should have had my next quarterly shot. New Doc says its gonna take a while and be a rough road. Now I have gained a few more pounds as all the hormones are regulating. I hope my normal upbeat personality comes back. I lost my boyfriend due to the mood swings. I'm surprised i haven't lost my job to all the stuff I have forgotten. And I am soooo pissed that the medical professionals we pay to help take care of us, have been destroying our insides and emotional well being. At 40 I am using condoms and got a sex lecture from the Dr about remembering his erect membrane leaks, and don't let him in without his raincoat! I hope and pray this process will not last long and I can go back to feeling normal again. I have been telling all the women I know. Take back our health and well being. Lesson learned on being involved in our own healthcare.
i recently missed my depo shot due to some scheduling conflicts, i called to reschedule and they said i would have to wait two weeks and then pass a preg test. i agreed and then had to break the news to my husband that we couldn't have unprotected sex for the two weeks. you can imagine how well that went over. so we talked about it and decided i would consider not getting the shot and see what happens. I have been on the depo for almost 15 years. I also had many of the above listed symptoms, but asked multiple drs if they might be connected to the depo and was told no over and over again. I think the best thing has been missing this apt and coming across this website and postings. I know for sure now i am not going to get the depo shot again in a few weeks. i am looking forward to what is going to happen but kind of scared as well. the only thing i know is the depo shot and dont even remember not being on it since i have been getting it so long. thank you for all of the posts helping raise awareness on this issue!!
I have been on depo for 12 years (almost consistently). I am about to turn 28 years old. To be honest depo has worked wonderfully for me. I do not get a period which is ideal. The reason why I am on here is to get an idea about getting off. My most recent physical showed some irregularities and rapidness with my heart beat so I looking into depo as a possible cause. I am not on any other medications, rarely take over-the-counter, and am weaning myself off of regular coffee to decaf this week. Like I said before, I am just looking. Depo has been great otherwise.

Other symptoms listed by depo:

Weight gain- I currently am at a very healthy weight. My weight has fluctuated in the past but that is as I come and go into fitness and better eating. I am currently training hard for an event which may be the cause of the heart issue. I do not correlate depo with my weight changes.

Mood swings- I get emotional and cry on occasion, but for external reasons (school stress, boyfriend stress, etc). There is a strong family history of depression but I only experience "blue" moments about 3 times a year. I have a hard time correlating this to depo.

Lower abdominal cramps/spotting- I do get some cramping if I am getting close to my shot due date and some spotting if it is really close or over my due date.

Heart burn- I do get heart burn on occasion, but I believe this to be due to family history. My father has to get surgery to mediate his heart burn and my brother is also a sufferer. I do not believe depo is to blame for my heartburn.

Migraines/ head aches- I get headaches rarely, maybe 5 times a year, and rarely severe enough to even need Advil.

Currently my heart abnormality is my biggest concern, but I cannot yet fully attribute it to depo. I am not sure I want to go off of it just yet, but this posting has helped. Thanks.
I am 24 years old and was on depo for almost 10 years (started at 14) and got off of it June 2013. My doctor urged me to get off of it almost every visit after the first 5 years but it worked great for me until my mood changes became extremely noticeable, getting headaches ALL the time and sex drive was close to zero which my boyfriend hated of coarse. I switched to Seasonale which gives you a period every 3 months. It seems to be working good so far but im not sure if the depo is even out of my system yet considering I was on it for almost 10 years. Some say 3 months after last shot and some others say 2 years. Me and my boyfriend is strongly considering having a baby, so my question is....has anyone gotten pregnant right after stopping to forms of birth control or did it take a while?
Ive been on depot on and off for 18 years,I've planned 3 children on it, the first time it took 5 months to get a period and 8 months total to become pregnant, every other time after...the time was less, hope this late comment helps lol
It took two year and three months I just had my daughter June,15 2017.. this shot is really scary I did for 10 years also.
I'm glad that I've found this forum!
I have been on Depo for 9 years now and I'm now 36 so I think it may be time to stop as myself and my partner would like a child someday... Not right now! But I'm afraid that the length of time I've been on it may have a negative effect.

It has been wonderful not having a period for so long and I didn't have many side effects really. Maybe some weight gain and bouts of depression, but not sure if I can blame that on the Depo!!

Anyway, 3 months ago was my last injection, so let's see how this goes.
I am definitely worried about heavy bleeding and other side effects I'm reading about here...
I have been getting the depo shot for about 15 years. I have been told that once I reached 45 I was not going to be able get the shot anymore. I suffer from hormonal migraines and am afraid to go off. I have read all these post and I&#39;m wondering if I should go off now. I&#39;m 43 now my last shot was due a week ago. Thank you ladies have me a lot to think about