Getting off of Depo Provera after 11 years - need advice

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I have been on depo for 11 years. I would be due for my next shot on 9/27 but my Doctor has advised that I stop having it. She has been treating me for migraines and depression with Imitrex (when needed) and a daily dosage of Prozac of 10mg. The Imitrex thankfully, works, and the migraines have also been lessened by the Prozac. However, I continue to have nasty "low" days when I can barely function and have also experienced symptoms of hypoglycemia and panic attacks and or crying jags for no reason.

I have been reading a lot about the Depo side effects some women have had and they mirror mine. I've had a thyroid test and it was fine, so I don't think that I'm diabetic.

I have been trying to eat well and clense with milk thistle to try to hasten the exit of the Depo.  

At the beginning of this week,I developed a yeast infection and did the 1 day Monistat. It seemed to work after 3/4 of a day, but now the yeast infection is seeming like it's back. Ugh.

I'm wondering if there is more that I can do to get it out of me or something I should request of my Dr? I don't want to take more drugs for the panic/anxiety, but will if it's going to be a long haul to "detox" from this stuff. I'm assuming that the yeast infection may be due to the hormones trying to kick back in or the fact that I was working out in the hot sun all weekend and was definitely sweating (don't think I need to say more on that).

If anyone can shed some light, I'd appreciate it. I don't know why all of these nasty symptoms appeared over the last 2 years when I'd been on it so long.

TIA!
Go over to the maternal/child part of this forum and direct this same question to the poster "kimmy n angus".  She was on Depo and is very vocal about having side effects just like yours.  She will probably be able to help you.
i was on depo 7 yrs and so many issues crop up in the last 2 that were so awful it isn't even funny. it takes 12-18 mos to get out of you and sometimes longer. i have to go to work...in 2 min...but i will come back later and post so much info you won't believe it!!! here is my web site and depo group web address. please feel free to take a look and ask me questions!!!

love...kimmie

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/coons_ttc_group/

Thank you Kimmie - I really look forward to hearing from you!
:)
the funny thing about depo is for a while most woman don't notice any side effects except no periods....who wants AF anyways unless you are TTCing. after many years on the shot i started to get psyciatric issues...severe depression, bipolar disorder and axiety disorder....i never thought it could be depo related. then i started to lose my concentration and lose intrest in school, friends, life, and everything else.i had no sex drive and was dry. i thought it was the mood issues doing it to me. i was 106 lbs after my son was born and noticed i was gaining weight. first it crept up slowly....at the end i was 178 lbs....i was heavier than i was when i deliver a 9 lb baby! i thought it was all the meds for everything else. i stopped the meds and did holistic treatments. it worked but the weight stayed. i hated everything and couldn't understand why....it was awful. a friend of mine with the same disorders decided she was goin off the depo cuz she was not having sex anyways. she lost 17 lbs in 2 months and got undiagnosed from her disorders. i was like...OMG...no depo for me anymore.

after 6 months i was undiagnosed with all my mood issues and was feeling better....and i lost 50 lbs!!!! i got my sex drive back with abundance and started to work and be interested in things again. at the 9 mo mark AF came back...with abundance as well. she came for 7 days every other week. i went thru 2 mos of that and got put on the nuva ring to stop that. at the 12 month mark i was with my fiance and we wanted to start trying to conceive, so bye-bye nuva ring. AF came back as before every other week. i went to the dr and he said that my progesterone levels were extremely low and i wasn't ovulating. i was shocked but he gave me progesterone to take to make sure i had only 1 AF per month...it worked. he also told me the depo can take up to 18 mos to leave my body and this is what caused this prob. i reseached the effects woman have experienced on depo. the issues other than fertility were experienced by many woman ....some even after only one shot. the longer you are on it the stronger the effects get over time. i was put on clomid to jump start my overies....it helped. i had a stange cycle and found out i m/c that month. depo has a high risk of m/c if you conceive shortly after stopping the shot....it makes you progesterone deprived and progesterone is neccessary for carrying a PG. i decided that all i could do was wait and let me body heal. at the 18 month mark i ovulated on my own for the first time and conceived and had another m/c. my dr has now put me on progesterone from ovulation to 12 weeks PG or AF comes to stop the m/c's. this has been a horrifying experience in its intiraty. i would not wish for my worst enemy to go through what i have. i am extremely sorry you had to go through this. there is nothing they can do to reverse depo....you have to wait for it to leave you. once you get your AF back, if it is irregular, they can treat you for that....DON'T LET THEM GIVE YOU MORE BC. tell them you want progesterone to help regulate AF. i found a good detox tea works wonders. eat healthy stay fit and excersize. depo is stored in fat and thats why it stays as long as it does....all the weight gain from depo has depo in it!!! do your best to lose any weight gained on it and drink lots of water. feel free to e-mail me and i can answer any questions you might have.

love and hugs....kimmie

***@****
hi, my name is Laura. I started the Depo shots in April of 05, and i had the worst experience. Other than kidney stones. My last shot was around May or June of 06. my last period was right before i started the shots. Within the first week of the first shot, I had such bad mood swings. I would cry, uncontrollably over nothing, all the time. My eating was all out of whack, there were days I couldn't stop eating and then days that I couldn't eat at all. As I continued with the shots every 3 months, I gained about 80 pounds. After taking pictures with some friends and (self-proclaimed,) step kids, I looked at the pictures and was so upset that I ended up having a total physical and emotional break down. (Right in the middle of Beale Street in Memphis TN!)
               Being on the shots, i had a lot of problems, horrible acne, weak immune system, loss of "lubrication," no sex drive what-so-ever. The list goes on and on. The last time i had sex was August 29, 2006. July 22nd, 2007 was the first time I'd had sex since. After not having any kind of menstrual cycle, my mom, (an LPN) reminded me that even though I was not on any kind of birth control, I could still get pregnant. Even thought i wasn't having periods. so we ended up having a pregnancy scare. after Dr's and home tests, i wasn't. now its September 27th 2007. its like 1:03AM and for about the past month, my boyfriend and i have been thinking that there was a great possibility of me being pregnant. again, after Dr's and nurses telling me that the only way they can tell for sure is if i go get a blood test done, everyone we talked to told us that everything we were describing to them said that i was a good 85-90% pregnant. we went to my Dr and he said that since we had HAD SEX in the last 8 days that the EPT wouldn't give for sure results, so we didn't have sex for 8 grueling days, and went back for a blood test cause i told him i didn't want another EPT. another heart-stopping 3days. i get a call at 9:27 in the morning. (This was about a week to a week and a half ago.) The past month and a half my stomach has gotten bigger, i cant lay on my stomach or my sides, my feet are swollen, and my nipples hurt so bad that i have to walk around my house topless, both my entire breasts are killing me and they are very firm. At about 12:25-12:30AM, (like 30-40mins ago) i went to the bathroom and when i wiped i saw blood. not pure blood, and not menstrual blood, but a almost pinkish color, with a very STRONG and bad odor. we don't know whats going on. and my boyfriend and best friend that i live with are starting to get even more stressed out with me cause i am constantly stressed out cause i don't know whats going on and i would really like some help. any kind of advise would be greatly appreciated right now. anyone at all. please and thank you thank you thank you!

<3<3<3
Confused and in major breast pain!
<3<3<3
Laura Elizabeth.
I too had taken Depo, since 1999, started at age 14. Slowly, I started falling apart. Depression, anxiety, profuse sweating, diagnosed with POTS ( a heart condition that causes you to pass out without warning), heart palpitations, racing heart, & fatigue, just to scratch the surface! Finally, after about 2 years of right side pain (which I though was due to my history of excessive kidney stones) I decided to stop getting my shot just to "see" what would happen. After only 5  months, I am a whole NEW person. My heart condition...vanished, depression & anxiety...tons better, sweating like a grown man.... dried up, and my non-stop flank pain....GONE! Like the previous post, I had no idea all of these things were related. After being on a drug for so long and becoming acustomed to these changes in your body, its hard to relate the two. But, it definatly was the cause. I believe that with my whole heart! Its not worth it!

Also, since comming off, my breast have grown, almost instantly! However the shot never caused me to gain weight I have always been between 100 to 115. But, the breast issue, I think Depo too was involved in this. Since I started taking it at age 14, I dont belive I was completely finished with puberty! Does that make since to anyone else. I started out as an A and within 2 months turned into a large B almost C!

Please if you are reading this post and are considering Depo, steer clear, its not worth it in the long run. In my state, GA, the gov. dosent allow it for over 2 years now! (Does me alot of good after 10 years) But, at least I can warn others!
After reading some of the posts I feel better.  I went on depo back in 97 and decided to get off of it June of 2007.  Reason being, I started to notice my anxiety levels were high, one minute I was fun and the next depressed and miserable.  I would get upset and mad easily...nothing I did seemed to make me feel like I use to when I was younger.  I felt like I was going crazy.  Within the 10 year time frame I was on Prozac for a year or two because I felt depressed, lost... crazy.  So last year I went off depo.  Within 3 months I my mental state of mind was a whole lot better.  My anxiety was minimal, my rapid heart racing (I haven't had that feeling in almost a year), and I'm able to control my moods better.  Don't get me wrong my body is still up and down, which is starting to effect my personal life.  I finally got a period ( A VERY LIGHT) in Jan 08 for about a week.  Then in Feb I got another one and it didn't stop for 31 days (between light and med).  So I called my gyno and she put me on provera for 10 days, stopped the bleeding for about 5 and then one day I had the heaviest period EVER for like 2 hours and then nothing for another week.  That was at the end of March, now 3 weeks ago I got it again and it hasn't stopped.  I'm starting to worry and get frustrated because I'm afraid it will never regualte and I won't be able to conceive children.  Also, the money I am spending on sanitary napkins is upsetting me too.
I do have to say, I never gained weight from depo, if anything I lost weight.  Now that I'm off it my breast have gotten bigger and MORE tendor.  When I was on depo I was a 34 B still, but my breast were very squishy (spelling) now they are the same size but firm and perky.(all the time)  I read in another post that it stays in our system because of fat cells.  I am very active and I try to get to the gym 2 to 3 times a week and I play sports on the side.  I don't eat unhealthy and I drink TONS of water daily.  I know there isn't any instant remidy for this, but I basically want the bleeding to stop.  Is there anything that can be done?  or do I just have to wade it out?

~J~
I am also a 10 year Depo user and I am still on it, just got a shot last week of April 08.  My husband and I are planning to start conceiving the end of this year and this is really the first time I have gone searching to see when I should start to go off it.  I know I have always heard that it takes a year but after my sister in law got pregnant with my nephew in between shots, I thought that it was probably not going to take a full year.  I am just floored with all the comments I am reading.  I too have experienced depression but it was very short lived.  I only had it for a few months and never went on any medication.  I remember thinking to myself during that time that I had NO reason to be so sad and I couldnt figure it out but now after reading all the posts I am starting to believe it was definitely the depo.  I am fortunate that I never had to go on anti-depressants.  I also had the heart palapations and heart flutters.  But at the time I was working with a very stressful person at work in a very stressful environment.  I saw a cardiologist, wore a heart holter monitor for a month but once that manager left and once I removed Caffeine from my diet those heart issues went away.  So, I dont know if I can blame the Depo.  As far as weight gain, I was 115 when i started Depo and I got up to 150.  I did however eat horribly and stopped working out like I used to.  In the past year I joined weight watchers and have lost 10 lbs.  So I am not sure if the depo was responsible for that either.  I just realized that not pigging out and monitoring my portions has helped with the weight loss.  I can not comment on the bleeding that J is having or the breast tenderness of the other 10 yr user because i am still on it.  But i am sure when i do go off it (this year) i may be back!!  I am taking astaxanthin for my allergies but i know that it also helps with inflamation (inflammation)...maybe it would help 10 yr user girl's sore breasts?! It is actually an all natural micro algae grown in hawaii and I get it from this site www.bioastinman.com it is very affordable.  There is a free ebook on the site, maybe you should check it out?!  I am hoping that J's bleeding becomes normal and pray that I she feels and gets better.

blessings

greengirl
I've been on depo for the past three years just about, but decided to get off of it and to just go on the pill.  I just wanted my body to get back into the cycle of things... plus I started getting really bad symptoms whenever it was just about time to get another shot.  My worry is, is  now that its not being replenished in my body- and the withdrawls are starting, how long before I can expect this awful feeling of nausea and fatigue to go away?  I even feel like my heart flutters sometimes and I get out of breath for no reason... I can't help but be paranoid.  I just don't like the depressed mood swings and the physical ailments and would like some help on the subject.  Any advice would be great!

~Leann
I just stopped depo after 11 years and now I am falling apart.  Not sure if it is related but I have constant nausea, acne, depression, I was put on the yasmin to put my body back to normal. I feel this is a never ending battle with my emotions.  I have been a strong woman over the last 11 years dealing with divorce, death and life now I just feel overwhelmed. I hope and pray that once the depo gets out of my system I will be normal again.  Whatever normal may be, it definately has to be better than now.
I am back!  I posted just in May about wanting or planning to get off Depo.  I finally did get off of it the end of July.  So, I have been off of it for two months.  I am not having the nausea or fatigue that you are having.  How long have you been off it?  I also would like to start taking the pill but my gyno said that i need to have a cycle before I can go on another birth control.  So I can't answer to your yucky feelings.  I think that we all experience something a little different.  I dont know what withdrawals i am going through other than TOTALLY understanding Laura Elizabeths posting about breast tenderness. HOLY MOLY!!!  My boobs have definitely grown.  At first... my husband thought i may have been pregnant cause they were obviously larger but i took a pregnancy test and it was negative.  Now they are just super tender, sore, and bigger.  They are very painful.  My husband is loving it but its not so fun having them so painful.  I really want to know how long i have to wait to have a cycle.  I read that one girl didnt have one for four months! wow.....i thought that maybe since my boobs were sore that i was going to start but hmmmmmmm havent started?! Can anyone give input on when they had a cycle after getting off depo?  or when the boobie soreness goes away??  :0(
I was on depo for almost 7 years and decided to get off it when a Physicians Assistant informed me that one should not be on it for more than a few years.  My period was irregular before I was on depo..and I wasn't sure when to start The Pill.  My Doctor told me to start on the Sunday following my period.  But given my history of irregular cycles,  she recommended that I start the pill on ANY Sunday.  Has anyone else been told this?

Fortunately, I have yet to experience any side effects. I did have heat flashes.  I joked w/friends that it was early menopause.  I'm only 36 so am beginning to  think that it may have been the depo.  I was also 125 before the depo and am now  155.  

I'm concerned in reading  everyone else's posts about the bleeding..and am hoping that the pill will help regulate that.  Does  anyone have any feedback on this matter?
I have found that this site particularly has helped with all the great feedback that i keep coming back to give my update in hopes of maybe helping someone else! The last time i posted was in October.  Well in november my boobie soreness went away and my breast size seemed to go back to normal.  I also started my cycle November 24th!! it took me nearly four months.  After 11 years of NOT having a cycle it was the happiest moment i have ever ever had with starting my period!  I felt like I was 14 years old again with the strangeness I was experiencing of having a period again.  I have since had two cycles, the one in november and this month in december and they seem to be very normal.  I am especially pretty happy that I did not get the horribly painful cramps that i remember getting when i was younger (prior to taking the shot). OH maggers99..NO my doctor told me that i had to actually have a cycle before taking the pill again and she suggested i call her as SOON as i started.  I have decided to not call her because my husband and are thinking of having a child. But i have never heard of what your Dr. told you. Not sure if the pill regulates your cycle?! Please keep updating your experiences.
I stopped getting the depo shot three weeks ago after being on it for 13 years.  After reading all of the horror stories, I am extremely apprehensive about what is/will happen to my body.  I was fortunate to not have the weight gain while on it, but did suffer with bouts of depression and severe anxiety issues over the last 10 years.  I assumed that there was something wrong with me, but after reading up on the side effects, I'm wondering how much the depo had to do with these issues.  I've also had heart palpatations, but assumed this was due to my stressful job.  

My breasts are so tender (especially my nipples and under my arm pits) and my chin has broken out with such cystic acne, it's painful.  I feel rather irresponsible for not being on top of this earlier.  I always felt that not getting a period & not worrying about taking a pill every day was great, but now I'm praying that I haven't ruined my body.  I'm actaully pretty nervous about my period returning..not something a 28 yr old women should be concerned about.

I just thought I would post my current situation, and keep updating everyone periodically.  I don't know anyone in my personal life that has gone through this, so it helps to get it out with others that have had similar experiences.  

did anyone have a gross brown discharge after going off the depo?  It's now been 4 weeks, and today I started getting this discharge.  Not a heavy amount, just a little.  I've had this happen maybe twice while on the shot.
I’m 45 years old and started taking the shot in March 07 and in Sept 07 the day after I had my 3rd shot I was taken to the ER with severe anxiety attack and hypoglicemia. Four days later another anxiety attack and another trip to the ER. I had asked my OBGYN if these symptoms could be related to the shot and she said absolutely not. So I kept getting the shot while my nightmare of panic, anxiety, palpitations, depression and hypoglicemia was getting worse and worse. I was afraid of sitting home alone but also afraid of going anywhere by myself. Even walking into the grocery store would give me palpitations. I’ve always had a very busy life and could not understand why all of a sudden I was not able to do anything anymore, I could only go to work and back (because I had no choice). So frustrating…. I saw psychiatrists, endocrinologists, tried everything under the sun (betablockers, antidepressants, benzo) to get rid of this awful feeling that was slowly taking my life away and ruining my marriage. Last week I decided to do some researches and - OMG!!! - could not believe how many women had the same symptoms!!! I don’t know why I did not think about it before but I was glad I had found out just in time as I was due for my next shot this week. Now I’m just hoping I can flush this poison out of my body as soon as possible …. after 15 months of hell, I want my life back!!! WHY DO WE HAVE TO FIND OUT OURSELVES AND NO DOCTOR CAN PUT 2 AND 2 TOGETHER???
I also would like to know if there is a class action suit in the US against Pfizer for these awful and painful side effects. Good luck to all of you….Maria. ***@****
Wow. All the feedback here is blowing my mind.

I got on Depo in October 2000, when I was 15 years old. I absolutely loved not having periods throughout high school, and my travels around the world after high school. I ended up getting off Depo in March 2006 as recommending by my doctor with new studies showing loss in bone density. I wanted to stay on birth control, and was recommended by my GP to try TryCyclin Lo (low estrogen pill). I was told to start taking the pill on the day that my next Depo shot was to be due...without having a period in between switching methods. Shortly after I started on the pill, I started getting normal periods, very regular. I actually felt great! Then, months later, I started spotting dark brown (sometimes light brown), and this became a serious problem over the next year. I started spotting more often than not. Very sporadically. I changed doctors as I moved provinces, and she had me start a calender for 3 months to show what days I was spotting this brown stuff (which is old blood). The results were very sporadic: showing a few days clean, a week spotting, a day clean, and another 4 days spotting, etc. Just very very irregular. I decided it was time for a cleanse. I wanted to get off all birth control for a while to see if I could get my body back to normal. I did this for about 3 or 4 months, but I was still spotting irregularly. It was ruining my sex life, so I made the choice to get back on Depo. I think I started Depo again in April 2008. As soon as I got the shot, I was happier. No periods almost immediately and absolutely not spotting. My sex life got back to normal. However, I gradually started gaining weight (which never happened the first time). I was probably around 120lbs when starting my second bout of Depo in April, and am now 130lbs. On my petite frame, this all went to my stomach and thighs. I feel gross. Anyway, I called it quits on Depo again. My last shot was August 27th 2008. The next shot was due on November 26th, but as I said, I decided not to get it. I didn't get on any other birth control, and I have yet to have a period. So it's been a little less than 2 months since the last shot was due. Today was my first day that I spotted dark brown colour again. I actually cannot wait to get my period again. I hope it gets regular again, and I won't have any problems with spotting. I will update as soon as things start happening.

I urge all women to get off Depo and go the natural route. Use condoms or other non-hormonal methods of birth control. Hormone based birth controls are not natural, and never will be. They are proving to be unsafe, and I HATE that I was subjected to taking it for so long. I wish that someone had given me the knowledge I have now, and I wish there was never such thing as Depo, because it really f***** up my body.
Ok so in June 2008 I had my first depo shot. My body had just bounced back, hormonally, from having my son in May 2007. I had gained a pretty good amount of weight, especially for my height 5'3". Went from 110-130. I was supposed to get another shot in Sep. I didn't of course. The darn shot made me have horrible heart problems. I couldn't take a big enough breath. My bones were horribly sore, the boneloss deal. Supplements didn't help. Depression. Forgetfulness. Anxiety. Anger. It was like my mind wasn't my own almost. Ok so it took me until Jan. 4th to have my first cycle since the shot. It kinda made sense. I was spotting the whole time I was on the depo, dark spottin mainly. So that was about 5 mo. before my period. Had a normal one this Feb. So far my weight has gone back to normal. Every now an then I'll get an abnormal weight gain. First withdrawling my depression and emotions weren't so intense. I wanted to kill myself. I've balanced out a bit more sense and can't wait to be all better :p. Now as far as sensitivity goes with my breasts I would say it's down to minimal to none. They've actually plumped up a bit lately, kinda weird but no pain from it. I plan to go get examined because depovera can cause breast cancer to egg on a bit normal. Just wanna be safe and would advise anyone to do so. I've recently had a UTI(urinery track infection) not sure it was from depo withdrawls. I have had unprotected intercourse with my husband and haven't gotten pregnant so I really don't know what to say about that one.

Detox teas help, a lot. If you can't find any, go to any organic store or section of a grocery store.
I've taken prenatals every now and then to help replace some of the lost calciums and what not. I don't really know if it would be ok for some who haven't had children but caltrate is a good supplement.
Drink and eat things with antioxidants to help eliminate free radicals. Stay healthy and don't go for the fatty foods for a while. Take walk outside. It sounds weird but the fresh air and activity help with depression. Proven fact. Another weird thing...do positive activities.Distracting yourself with good things just makes it a bit easier during balancing out. Have a good laugh, I know how hard it can be but laughter is healing.

Stay positive and I wish everyone the best.
I liked not having a period either i just wished the dang internet was more popular when i was in HS! Had i been able to read all the bad things about it i would have never got it!! I been off since August 2003 and you know what? STILL NO BFP!! No signs of O no signs of CM NOTHING!! I guess im gonna need dang clomid if im ever gonna have a baby!! GRRRR!! At least my AF comes on time now but its also only 1-2 days thats it!
After the depo, I kept spotting as well but not getting a real period. My obgyn had me take two orthotryciclins daily for ten days then stop for ten days and it worked and I finally got my period. (doubling up on the pill made me a little queesy but it was worth it) He said it was almost like a d&c in that it shed ths lining and brings it back to normal again.  Hope this helps!
wow!
I was on the depo since I was about 17 years old(about 10 years ago). Last year I decided to get off because i was on an emotional rollercoaster like i was having a 3 month emo cycle.. I had no idea that the depo was doing such bad things to my sex drive.. I was really happy to be off of it, if you know what i mean. I got on the pill and got my monthly cycle like clockwork, but i started to have migranes (migraines) so i got on a progestin only pill. I had AF for about 3 weeks, and just being married I decided to get back on the depo because i couldn't stand it. When my sex drive disappated and i dried up the Saharra I called it quits on birthcontrol all together, just to get back to regular. My husaband and i both agreed if we got preg it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Oh MY GOSH! I've been suffering!! For the first few weeks I felt like my nipples were going to fall off. I've been lactating and that's really weird, I could deal with some swelling, but I am not that lucky. I've been fatigued, moody, depressed, this sounds really weird, but my fingernails and toenails are brittle and don't grow?? I was 114 lbs and now I'm 140.(doesn't sound bad until I say I'm 5ft 3in) I'm always moody, my poor husband thought I was completely nuts for a while because I didn't make the connection that this was a result of hormones. I haven't been to the doctor because I don't want to get put on anything else, but i did take a pregnancy test and it was negative. I broke out SOOO bad, and I've NEVER had bad skin. I heard someone mention heart palps, I had those while I was on depo, but since Ive gotten off, I haven't noticed any. Getting my period after 10 years has been bad enough but it's been thick, and weird colors (sorry, that's so gross) I don't have cramps like normal, they are like, not crampy. I haven't been able to talk to anyone about this because I don't know anyone who has been on the shot for a long time and come off of it. Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences with me. It makes me feel so much better to know I'm not crazy. My last shot was due in February. I can't wait for it to be over!! I have no motivation to get off my butt and burn fat because I'm depressed, tired, moody, and full of pimples. Yucky rotten depo.  
Hello all!
This is all very enlightening, I've been on the Depo for 12 years and as of today I'm no longer on it.  Throughout the past 10 years I have suffered periods of high anxiety, depression and mood changes.  I have never thought that it may be "because" of the Depo.  Although I have a crazy past that makes up for my anxiety, I'm surely anxious to see how I feel HORMONE FREE!  See already anxious about my anxiety!! LOL

I decided not to go on any other form of birth control and just let my body rid all the hormones..if that takes 6 months or 1 year I'm willing to let it run it's cycle.  Again, I'm also curious to see if any of my symptoms of anxiety, depression and/or sweating decreases.  I actually had the ETS surgery to eliminate the sweating from my hands/arm pits (hyperhydrosis).

I do want to say - it was great not having AF for 11+ years.  My Dr has given me 2 bone density scans over the past 11 years both of which are completely fine.
When I went from the pill to the shot, I lost 30 pounds.  But let me be clear on this, I lost 30 pounds because I worked at it...I realized that my eating habits were horrible, and there was little to no exercise 10 years ago.  For the past 10 years I have only fluctuated maybe 5 pounds up or down and that is because I watch what I eat and exercise.

So in all honesty, I really do like the Depo Shot, if I can somehow relate my symptoms of anxiety/depression to this Shot than I will change my mind about my thoughts, but as of now I'm going hormone free and I'm happy about it.  Detox time, here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!
Me too, me too! 7 years on it, just had another shot (that was over-due by a month) and have decided to stop. But am slightly worried about stopping!
Of course I've LOVED not having periods (haven't had one AT ALL in 7 years!) but I have had most of the symptoms I've been reading in the past posts. My sister who I see maybe 3 times a year recently commented on my mental state! She (and other people) have been worried about my moods, my thoughts, that sort of thing.
I hope the women I've been reading about can find a way through it... so many problems!
I don't even have sex (for the last year now) May as well become a 'woman' again since I feel less of one without a period!

But boy, how **** is it to have to heal from a drug with possibly more drugs! ICK! I hope my future internet surfing will enlighten me with some herbal/nautropathic remedies!!!

Good luck ladies (and me!)
oh, and just to add... I went from around 64 kgs to 86kgs... (I'm a kiwi so we use kgs!) But for all the lb peoples... thats a massive 46 pound gain in 7 years (I think.. not so great at math!) And my height is 5'6
Even more scary, my BMI is 30.5   Thats obese range :-(
I had 1 depo injection 7 months ago and the side effects have taken over my life. When you ladies came off depo how long was it until you felt normal again? Also did it happen gradually?

I keep getting episodes where I fel alot better and then I go right back down to being non functional again, even worse than it was to start with. Is this actually a good sign?

Im so desperate to feel better!
WOW LADIES!!!  Obviously we have all experienced adverse effects from this horrible birth control.  Because all of our bodies have different chemistries, we have all experienced different side effects.  My problem is extreme insomnia which obviously creates anxiety and palpitations.  As other ladies have reported, no help from the doctors and was told my problem was not linked to Depo......but then why did I go from totally normal to totally anxious AFTER I went off the shot.......I had no symptoms while on the shot and unfortunately I was a long time user of 11 years.  Ugh....If I would have only known this earlier......It has been four years post Depo now, and still experiencing the insomnia.  I have been seeking out any way to reverse this.....I have a strong
faith and it helps me through, but it is still very hard living with this condition.  I am now going through a detox with fiber and water and am praying that this helps!!!  I strongly urge anyone to NOT consider this as a contraceptive option.  I tell everyone I know, to absolutely not use it for any reason, as it has been also used with endometriosis and menopausal women......I pray that the women on this site and other sites can get through these horrible experiences, at least we all know we aren't alone in this!!!

God Bless and help us all!
i was put on Depo 9 years ago, i have ulcerative colitis a Gi disorder (have had the runs for 10 years) Af made things worse that i couldnt work when Af was here 25-30 toilet stops a 12 hour cycle.... so my Dr suggested we get rid of AF... GREAT i thought! fantastic less runs and no AF....

I have been off Depo for a year today, still no AF, i have however had a multitude of wild side effects and "withdrawls" first i stopped being moody and forgetful, which was a positive, i have gone up two bra sizes (positive and negetive) my boobs are very sensitive, i suffer from bad fatigue, this is worse because i already have low energy levels because of my UC, But most seriously, i went to my OBGYN two weeks ago to see if we could see any sign of AF returning, in an attempt to ovulate after all these years my right ovary has developed a cyst from a "failed" ovulation it is now 7X7 cm's and a huge concern!

My husband and i wnat to start a family like yesterday and my ovaries are still inactive, this drug is very very scary stuff, i was 16 when i wnet on it and no one told me all this **** back then only the pro's were evr mentioned. I have started Yasmin to try and some how force a cycle, my Dr said to start on any sunday and just follow for 3 months and see what happens from there, I have thise insane fear that this stuff will never be gone. Clomid is not an option for me as i already have a high risk for multiple conception (12 sets of twins in my family) and with Uc that is just not an option for me, one baby is already pushing my space limit.

i cannot believe just reading all these posts how blind i was to the side effects of this drug..migranes (migraines), anxiety, i had them all never for one minute thought it was the depo.

Thanks you all for sharing your stories, and i will keep posting as i go on trying to rid my body of this toxic stuff.

Well, I have been on Dep for almost 13 years now and have LOVED every minute of it. No anxiety, no depression, just a little weight gain in the beginning....and sweating over the last year. I am turning 38 years old this month so my doc wants me off. I AM TERRIFIED TO GET OFF DEPO! It's been like a safety blanket for me. I had such awful periods and endometriosis that is why I was put on the shot. They now believe I am going through early menopause. I cried when my GYN told me to stop getting the shot. Weird I know, but I've been on it for so long and haven't had any problems It makes me nercous to not be on it anymore.
Wish me luck!
Monique in Boulder, CO
I am very grateful for this thread and others I've read in recent days.  I just wish I would've discovered all this information years ago.

I am 28 and have been on Depo for 8 years.  A list of my issues include weight gain of 100 lbs, no sex drive, fatigue, high blood pressure, personality changed to being angry all the time and wanting to kill anyone that breathes, acne, over the last recent couple years difficulty concentrating, memory loss, and knowing the vocabulary I want to use but not thinking of the words.  And that's just what I can think of at this moment.

My last shot was due on Tuesday which was the same day I had my annual OB/GYN visit.  I had already decided I wanted another alternative to Depo.  The NP was really pushing the Mirena IUD, but that didn't seem like much a solution since that is a progestin only method just like depo.  I told her to go ahead and find out if my insurance would cover it, but declined to have the shot in the office so I could think it over and not be locked in to another 3 months.

Anyway, now I am set on being completely hormone free because the reason I went on Depo was to stop abnormal bleeding caused by Mercette.  My only other option now is the Paragard IUD which has its own set of problems.

I feel the same way as many on this board do.  Why did I have to figure this out on my own?  Why didn't my doctors put 2 and 2 together especially when I told them some things I was experiencing?  I didn't even relate what was going on with me to the Depo so I didn't even know to look for this kind of information years ago.

I am still within the 10 day window to get my shot which I have decided I will not do.  I am very concerned of what kind of "withdrawal" symptoms I may experience.  There is no way to know.  I just want my body back and am just sick when I think that I spent the majority of my 20's with these issues, but if I don't start now it'll take even longer to "recover."
After reading these stories I wish so bad that I had read them 9 years ago. I got on depo at 14 and I am now 23. I can't believe it has taken me this long to relate my depression (and possibly many other side effects) to this drug. I thought my depression was just genetic, but now I really don't think so. I did decided not to be on it anymore and I got pregnant after a year. I was the happiest I have ever been in my life for those 2 years and I thought it was because I had met an awesome man and got pregnant with him....but now I realize it was because this drug had left my system. As soon as I gave birth I went back on the shot with out even thinking about it. My baby is now 11 months old and I am not going in to have my next shot...I just wish so bad that I had known all of this back when I was 14. Depo really destroyed my life. I thought it was just me. I thought I just wasn't resilient. I thought I just had emotional problems. I will pay more attention with everything I put into my body from now on.
Hello! Dawgcr again. I posted a comment on 09/17.  I want to update everyone!
My husband and I are TTC, so with getting off of the Depo (after 12 years) I was nervous about not getting a period for awhile - I wanted to put some of you at ease.
I started my period 5 weeks after what was SUPPOSED to be my last shot on 09/27.  23 days later and not the usual 28 day cycle but 23 days later I started another period (yesterday).
So there is hope in sight!  I also started using OTC ovulation kits during the week I was supposed to ovulate just to see if in fact I was, and I got a positive during the week I was ovulating.  Although I did not conceive this month - there is hope in the future!
I was on anxiety medication (Celexa) for the past 10 years and just weaned myself off of it 100% last week. Under my dr's supervision and advise of course.  Please note; you must wean yourself off of it slowly and not do it all at once.
My suggestion to all Depo users who are getting off, Detox! Detox! Everyone is different so everyone's body will adjust differently and take time.  My regiment - water water water and more water.  I add fresh cut lemons all the time.  Eat good wholesome foods, lots of veggies and fruits.  And exercise!  I truly believe this is the best method for detoxing.  I also drink iced green tea and take a daily vitamin (pre-natals!) LOL
I'm a vegetarian so I know a big downfall is making sure to get enough fruits and veggies (as I had this problem before I went Vegetarian), now that I'm vegetarian I eat fruits/veges 24/7.
How do I feel? I feel more relaxed, I don't feel as anxious,  I have days when I feel lightheaded and spacey and I'm sure this is just my bodies way of dealing with no more Depo and Celexa.
If you have low days or just don't feel right -get out and take a walk, go to the mall, exercise, eat an orange and take your dog for a walk. Join a yoga group, do a pilates class with a friend.  Don't sit at home and stew over how you feel - get your body/mind moving again.
Wow Depo! It wasnt much of a concern of mine because I started Depo after the birth of my son in 2004. I became a single mother and wanted to make my focus on school and being a good mom, not visiting AF. This summer (2009) I married a long time friend and he is amazing. We have a great marriage and have decided to TTC. :)
I was supposta' go get my shot in Feb 2009 and did not do so as we discussed the length in time which my body will take to get back to normal. So NO MORE SHOT! I have read tons of detox programs for getting off Depo. Heres my success so far:
Depo since 2004
Off Depo since Feb 2009
Spotting started Dec 2009 (10 months since shot was due), Lasted 4 days very light...but it was there!
Now Im doing a 7 day cleanse program to detox naturally
Drinking LOTS of water w/ Fresh lemon juice in every glass
Detox baths 1 a week with epsom salt/baking soda for 40 mins
Taking Vitex for the past 4 months to stimulate my pituitary gland
and started a easy yoga program to reduce my stress/anxiety levels.
Wish us luck, DH is now getting on FertilAid supplements so his spermies will do their job too!
Best of luck ladies, Blessing, Hugs, and Baby dust all around!
Hello! I also wanted to post another updated to all Depo ladies!  I posted on Nov 16th.
I got pregnant shortly after my last post.  SO....THERE IS HOPE.
I miscarried about 6 weeks into pregnancy but my Dr gave us the green light to try again.
So there is hope. I used Depo for about 12 years, when my last shot was due in Sept 09 I did not get it.  Had a period 5 weeks later, had another period 23 days after that and got pregnant.  I ovulated both times.  
So my last shot was SUPPOSED to be give at the end of Sept - 2 months later I got pregnant.  
Miscarriages are common (almost 70% miscarry) and although it's unfortunate and we were saddened by it, we are thinking positive and as my Dr said - this shows us that everything is working properly and we are good to keep trying.  
I miscarried early and everything came out on it's own so no need for a D&C.  Bleeding was only 5 days.
Think positive! A+++++

Good luck HeatonWife, can't wait to hear!
Thank you again for such enlightenment! Success stories are deffinately in need with all the negative information on TTC after depo.
I too decided to decline any form on BC to get my cycle back after depo. I was really considering going back on the pill because 2 years ago I did get off depo, put on the pill and AF came to visit really quick! But it was heavy, painful, and I was still working full time, going to college full time and still raising my son alone....not time for that hassle-so back to depo I went.
I have been depo free since Feb now, and Dec was my first situation where I was spotting for 4 days! ::smiles::
I will keep on doing what I have been doing and cross my fingers for sure!
I just purchase a saliva ovulation testing microscope...may save me and DH some $$ on ovulation urine test strips.
Keep us in your prayers and best of luck to you dawgcr and all the fellow TTC Ladies here!!!!!
PS- Thinking Pink! ;)
Yes- I've heard it's common for some women to go on the pill to help regulate their cycles, in a sense your jump starting your body.  I wouldn't be opposed to that option and probably would have done it myself had I not started so soon after (patience is so not my virtue!), luckily i started so quickly after my last depo wore off and it was a full period - no light spotting or playing jokes on me, AF visited full force! LOL
I have found the clearblue easy digital monitor to be an AWESOME little tool in this whole body cycle/calculation game - although it's pricey, it's worth every penny.  I only used it for one month (and got pg) and now I have two friends who are fighting over it! HA HA  Luckily I know my body now and can feel when I ovulate - in fact I'm able to tell from which side i'm dropping an egg - so I let my friends fight over it.  
So we are just waiting now..just waiting for my cycle to come back after the miscarriage to try again.  My DH loves trying!

There is hope! You were only 5 years, I did 12 years depo and got PG 2 months after the last shot wore off.  
Thinking pink!!!!!!!!!
I have been on Depo for 10 yrs.  I have had extreme anxiety for the last year and in the last 6 mths my breasts are so tender I can't stand it.  I also feel bloated and look bloated all fo the time.  I just want to know if these are side effects to the shot.  I want to get off of the shot, but I don't want to get pregnant and my husband is not willing to get a vasectomy.  We don't want any more children.  
Yeah! I began spotting in December, and am officially on my period as of January 19! Super excited....and still thinking pink! :) Ill update with a BFP hopefully sooner than later!
Oh ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That means your back on track, and sooner rather than later.  So excited for you.
My DH is out of town during the week I OV, DARN!!!!! Hope he doesn't mind if I call the pizza man for a delivery. LMAO.
We will hopefully be back on track next month and will start baby dancing.
Ive been on depo for 9 years and have just stopped, 3 weeks ago i should of had my last shot but me & my partner decided not too. This week has been awful yesterday i was in such a mess, felt awful and today really bad headache, pains in my legs and cant stop crying and i dont know why. If these are the symptons of coming off depo ill never use it again. I loved being on it, even though i did put weight on and could never shift it other than that it suited me perfectly. Im dreading the next few months :-(
To Heaton Wife and dawgcr:

Thank you so much for your positive stories! I was on depo for 6 years, and just recently stopped. ( My last shot was due in early Jan.) I actually bled the entire time I was on Depo. I stopped bleeding on Feb 2nd, so I figure that's a good sign. Everything I've read recently says you'll get symptoms of pregnancy after stopping depo, and believe me I'm feeling them! Nausea, headaches, lower back pain, sore and enlarged breasts, etc. I did not want to take a HPT because of of the negative things I've seen posted, but after seeing yours, maybe I'll take a chance and try it. I just know I'm getting my hopes up, and don't want to be let down.
So you bled for 6 years straight, stopped the depo in Jan, and stopped bleeding? Is that correct?
I've had two friends the bled quite a bit for about a year and finally stopped bleeding after that time.  They continued the shot.
If it makes you feel better, start peeing on all the HPT's you can get a hold of (without breaking the bank)! LOL Kidding :)
Oh...and dollar store HPT's are just as effective as name brand store bought HPT's.
I never heard much about the symptoms of feeling like your PG once you get off the Depo, the only thing I can say is that finally your body is getting back on track and your dealing with a mass of different hormones.  Let it regulate! You will get back on track.  Eat healthy, exercise, and drink lots and lots of water!!! You'll get there, think positive too.
Once you have a regular period and you actually ovulate (you can use OPK's), you can get PG right away.  And just because you were on the DEPO does not mean it will increase your chances or risk of miscarrying.  Once you ovulate that means = your body is ready to have a baby!
Hello Doyley256!
Think positive!!!!!!!!!  For the past 9 years you have tricked your body into believing it was PG, hence the reason you never had a period.  I was on Depo for 12 years and regulated within weeks of when my last shot was due.
Your body is adjusting to this shift in hormones and trying to deal with getting off the shot.  The best thing you can do is detox.  Think of drinking caffeine/soda for 9 years and all of sudden you stop, withdraws.  People who take antidepressants or anxiety pills (as I once did for 10 years) and you stop suddenly, withdraws.  Except now you suddenly stopped hormones, so it's time for you body to make it owns, re-adjust, and detox. Think positive!!!!! Don't look at everything as bad or sad or negative, think of it as your body's way of telling YOU that it's missing something.  So this means your body is detoxing.  And if your body is detoxing than your body is working!
Drink lots of water, eat healthy foods and exercise.  These are the fundamental grounds for improving our bodies - mind and soul.
You can drink teas to help detox, WATER WATER WATER, get some sunshine and take walks - it's amazing how this will benefit you.

If it helps i cried watching sled dogs in Alaska the other day! HA HA LOL  I guess I cried because it was Majestic?  Beautiful? LOL
Gotta love hormones! :)  Of course AF started that same day.
I used depo for about 3 years... it took me forever to conceive after being on that shot. Like 5 years!! I'm not a fan of that shot, but to each their own.

I think you should just let your body try and get back to it's natural hormonal state... but it may take a while for these hormones to get out of your body.  In the meantime, try using condoms, or a low hormone type of birth control. Good luck to you!
The best thing is to overlook negative comments on discussion boards like this. Negativity and anxiety you dont need when TTC.
The best advice is to detox! Water water and more water! The more you pee the more you detox :)  I also took body cleanse pills for 7 days, ive been taking detox baths, everything and anything to get back to normal.
Long story short, were on our way to ttc!
We also use OPK, FertileFocus microscope, and my hubby is on Fertileaide. Look at Babyhopes.com to get more archive articles about ttc and there is a ovulation calculator and lots of goodies to help you along...
Good luck!
Hello Everyone. I first went on Depo when I was 16 and was on it for two years before I went off. I was just starting to become sexually active and wanted to be safe, but also I had very painful periods and heard that the shot could reduce and possibly eliminate periods. I stopped getting a period immediately, not even any spotting. When I went off the first time at 18 my cycle returned to normal pretty much right away, maybe about two or three months after the last shot had worn off or two or three months after when I was scheduled for a shot. Then about a year later at 19 I went back on it because I got involved in a serious relationship. I am now 25 and had been on the shot for six years. I was last due for a shot the first week of November 2009 and didn't renew because I had decided I was sick of being on birth control and now that I am engaged to the man I started dating at 19, I think we may want to try to have a child right after we get married. So I had heard that it can take a really long time to get out of your system and that it is very unsafe to get pregnant if you don't wait at least a year after going off.

I too started to feel as if I was pregnant. I have been pregnant once before and miscarried and I remember the symptoms. The biggest one being the tender boobs. I remember about a week before every scheduled shot I would get moody, nauseous and feel a little crampy like I was going to get my period. It would wear off right about a week after getting the shot. Since I have been off the shot in November (3 months ago) I have gained 10lbs, had a ton of nausea, especially in the morning and really tender boobs. I took two over the counter pregnancy tests that came back negative but then went to my doctor and she ran a ton of blood tests, including pregnancy. I am not pregnant and all my levels are normal. My doctor is shocked that I gained weight after going off the shot, I didn't really gain much more than about five pounds when I went on it originally at 19. I work out six days a week for an hour and a half each time and I stick to a very strict diet. I count every calorie I take in my body and don't exceed 1400 a day and I try to make that 1400 as healthy as possible. So it seems almost impossible to gain weight, but I am. Just another symptom that would make me think I was pregnant.

So for now I am just waiting to see what happens, no period yet after three months, not that I am looking forward to it really, but i just want to be normal again. Something I really wanted to make clear here though is... I am not a doctor but I have done a lot of research and spoken with multiple doctors. All Birth Control is dangerous and harmful. Some may have higher levels of hormones but all in all it isn't good for us. Think about it, Birth Control isn't natural. I have been to many sites on the discussion of male contraceptive. It exists if you thought it didn't. Get this, research shows it is less harmful and more effective. Look it up. Now you wanna know why your boyfriend or husband can't go out and find it, because majority of men won't take it. There is no market for it so it isn't on the market. Men complain about women "trapping" them with pregnancy and all that but then won't take any responsibility themselves. Its sad, my fiance would take it if they had it. It isn't good for them either, it still isn't natural but it is safer than the effects on women. So no matter what birth control you take, you are at risk. Just food for thought... it isn't just Depo.
Yep. I bled for 6 years. ***** right!? Though it wasn't like a full period, just spotting most of the time. I was told it was my only option because BC containing estrogen gave me migraines. So I dealt with it. I took a HPT on Wednesday, and it was negative. I am starting to feel a little better as far as the PG symptoms go, except for sore boobs! So, I am just trying to be patient, and let me body do it's thing naturally. Wish me luck! I'll keep you posted.
I wanted to come back with an update. As I mentioned in my post before, I was on Depo for 6 years and was scehduled for my last injection on November 2nd and I didn't get that shot as I had decided to go off of the shot. It is now about Mid March and I just starting bleeding again, I never did during the shot. So almost five months after going off of the shot is what it has taken to start bleeding again for me personally. But it doesn't feel like normal. The bleeding is light and very dark like it would be at the end of a cycle and the cramps are back but not as bad as I remember them being. So its almost like my uterus is getting thicker (the shot thins the lining of the uterus) and it is shedding again, but I don't think the bleeding is from ovulation or a lose of an egg which would cause much heavier and brighter bleeding. I think I am in for a full blown period still, but just wanted to update everyone on the bleeding since some people are curious about the experience some of us have had with when our bleeding returns after going off the shot.

I still haven't really lost any weight but I can say the gaining has come to a halt. I am maintaining my weight but still not happy about the weight that I have gained so I will keep trying to get it off and hope that with a return of a normal cycle that maybe my weight will start to go down too. I will come back and report any further updates or changes.
Ya for you!!  5 months isn't too bad, not from what I've head from others.
Now just starting keeping track of when your cycle starts and ends to see if you become regular again.
I didn't lose weight either, but I'm blaming that on my not so good eating habits lately and my lack of motivation for working out.
Just keep drinking LOTS of water!!!! (with lemon) LOL

I have an update on my situation as well - I got pregnant shortly after I got off Depo and miscarried in December at 6 weeks. Well, we are pregnant again! YA :)
4 weeks (as of yesterday).  
Pregnancy after depo is possible!!!!!
As I mentioned in other postings on this page, I was on depo for 5-6 years. After about 11 months I finally got my cycle back. It was very regular a 28 day cycle. Our 3 cycle I got my first positive OPK, and now happy to report a BFP!!!!
DONT give up! Detox, drink water w/lemon, take detox baths, go for a walk to sweat out your toxins, and try taking herbal supplements to get your cycles back on track, track your CM, C-position often, get to know your body.
I have been on Vitex, Red Raspberry Leaves, and Pre-natal vits ever since I got off depo. Check with a  Dr. to see what would be best for you.
Good luck!!!
I first got on depo after my son was born in oct 03.  the first few months i bled and bled then finally no periods...  i recently got off depo.. my last shot would have been dec. 3rd of 09.  my boyfriend and i are ttc but my periods are out of control!  my first one started the first week of feb. 10.  just a few days, no big deal.  then it came the first week of march. went away a few days later.  started a few days after and so on. i had 3 periods in one month!!  ugh!  i started again yesterday (april 10, 2010)  i hope it wasn't like last month!  will i ever go back to just having one period a month!!  and if so WHEN!?!?!  but other than that..  the whole time i was on depo- i was fine- i loved it. no weight gain, anxiety, depression..  nothing-  but of course when i got off like many of you my boobs were very tender and grew,,  i have no problem with them getting bigger though :)  but will they go back down as depo wears off??  they don't hurt anymore- the tenderness went away about last month so yay on that...I also gained about 10 lbs since i've gotten off..  ugh!  talk about feeling like i'm already pregnant!  its just in my stomach!!    i just hope i'm able to get pregnant with no harm to the baby soon!!  I'm glad to hear all of your stories- thanks a buch for talking about all your experiences!!!!!!!!
It was amazing to sit here for the last hour reading all of your stories! I am shocked (and utterly appalled) at how many of these symptoms I have suffered through, unknowing that it may have been the Depo causing them the whole time!
I started Depo when I was around 19 and was only on it for a little over a year before I went off. I didnt notice any weight gain at that time or any adverse symptoms coming off of it. AF returned fairly quickly and was pretty normal from what I can remember.
I went back on Depo in July or so of 2006. I always raved to people about the shot because it was so convenient and having no AF was incredibly nice... no buying tampons or feminine napkins, no need to worry about sneak attacks while swimming or wearing white pants.
In October of 2008 my health started to go downhill.  My eating habits became more irregular and I found that there were days I would eat all day long, and others that I would completely forget about meals. When the weather turned cold I ended up with a bad respiratory cold that would not go away. Weight started falling off me without me even noticing until the change was so dramatic that people were calling me a skeleton. The slightest mention of my weight would send me into fits of tears because I was so moody and self-conscious. I had lost close to 40 pounds and was at around 96lb at 5'6".. VERY unhealthy. I was diagnosed shortly after (after suffering from the "chest cold" for 4 months) with pneumonia which explained the weight loss.
After I went through 3 rounds of antibiotics to rid myself of the pneumonia, I noticed that the emotional rollercoaster was only getting worse. At the time I chalked it up to going through some tough life changes (breaking up with a long term boyfriend, stress of school, etc) but I must be honest.. I really thought I was crazy! The anxiety continued to get worse. Night sweats would wake me every couple of hours through the night and I was tired and cranky ALL the time. I . would go from happy to complete weeping mess in only a few minutes with little-to-no stimulus.
It was like russian roulette at the doctor. We tried Prozac which helped with the sweats but made me panicky and and and one point even unable to leave the house. Eventually my doctor put me on Celexa daily and gave me Klonopin to help with the anxiety attacks on an as-needed basis. I am now up to 20mg of Celexa daily, regular yoga classes and lots of long walks with my dogs. I eat very very healthy most of the time and try to spend as much time as possible keeping busy with work, school, or friends. Slowly, the anxiety has started to get better even though there are still 3-4 day periods (though much more rarely) where I will be moody or upset for no reason. It has been a constant battle for the last couple of years.
I also have noticed over the last 9 months that my sex drive is definately less and there is a significant loss of natural lubrication. I did notice some post-coital bleeding as well but my OBGYN claimed it was due to a vaginal tear that kept reoccuring. Little did I know at that time (and NO she did NOT make the connection either), that progesterone based BC can cause thinning of the vaginal tissues which makes you more prone to tearing, and therefore bleeding. UGH.
I was due for my next Depo shot 2 days ago. I had already spoken to my boyfriend (whom I am moving in with in May) about going off of it and both of us concluded that we should go the natural route with no BC until my cycle returns to normal. I already am suffering from horrible breast tenderness that started about 24 hours ago... (Actually had my boyfriend lightly massage them over a heating pad last night because I couldn't sleep!).
I looked up some info on the internet because I heard it can take a very long time for cycle to return to normal after Depo... and I have also heard stories about people that conceived right away. I have no immediate plans to conceive but the time is coming soon I hope (next couple of years) and would like to know that my body is back to normal. A friend of mine got pregnant less than a month after going off depo, while another friend of mine still has not gotten a period in over a year.
I am excited to see what happens but also very nervous. I have gained all the weight back that I lost with the pneumonia (+30 from the Depo) and am still struggling everyday with the anxiety and depression. I cant wait to see if all of this will improve in the absence of Depo!
If Depo really was the cause and I managed to survive this long and stay healthy, I cant wait to see how much stronger and more pleasant of a person I will be without it in my system.
Your stories were extremely enlightening and gave me hope that I can go back to having a normal, happy life soon.

I will keep you all updated on the progress as it comes along. For now... sore boobies are a small price to pay in order to get my hormones back in balance and my emotions back to normal! Thanks for all the encouraging information and I'll talk to you all soon!

Michelle

Hi. i have been on depo since july 1997; right now i am torn between the decision to get off or stay on.  I have actually lied to my doctor about how long i have been taking depo.  Recently like April 28th i had to have survery to kidney stones removed and stumbled to this blog while searching to if depo had anything to do with kidney stones.  But i have found much more; I have all these symptoms too, depression, anxiety and OMG mood swings.  It never occured to me that it could be from depo. I am taking zoloft and had been on prozac, celexa, lexapro and paxil. I have no sex drive and when i do try it is really too dry.  I was 103lbs when i started depo and now im 140.  what is holding me back from the getting off the depo is the long and many cyles and i dont want my breast to get any larger; i am already a 34G and NO i didnt not buy them.  

Michelle please keep me update on how you are doing post depo.  My last shot was in march so i still have time to make a decision.

Reading all these posting has gave in a new out look on depo and thank each and everyone of you for sharing.
Hello!
First and foremost, why in the world would you lie to your doctor about how long you've been on Depo?
Are you aware that the FDA had a black label warning put on the Depo shot for calcium loss and bone density loss?  So it is HIGHLY recommended that if you've been on Depo for more than 5 years you should get a bone density scan, I've had 2 of them since I was on it for 11 years.
There are a lot of factors that play into over all health, so I would start off by making sure that whatever Gyno or OBGYN or health doctor you see, that they know you've been on it since 1997.
I would also print this positing out and bring this with you.  Maybe you should get your hormones checked, maybe your lacking progesterone (lack of sex drive and or too dry), and maybe you should talk to your OB about switching birth control. Like I said, I don't know your past but if you've had children and don't want anymore look into the NON-HORMONAL IUD, .... Essure....Seasonal.....etc.
Just to keep you updated on the progress so far...

As of right now I have not been experiencing any noticeable withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms from the depo, other than some breast tenderness. My doctor advised me that they may grow significantly but thus far they are only very slightly larger fom swelling. I have not had headaches, nausea, or spotting... but still have not seen signs of AF. My sex drive has definately already started to increase and WHOA... no problem with dryness anymore! ;-P  My weight has been holding steady but I did notice that clothing fits me a little looser. I imagine this is because I am drinking a lot of water to help flush out the depo and probably flushed my agregious salt intake as well. lol.
I am still taking my celexa (20mg) but I have begun reducing how often I take it. I am down to once every 3 days now and feel absolutely fine. No unnecessary anxiety and my moods have been surprisingly pleasant.

Im sure when AF finally makes an appearance, things will not seem so peachy. I have no dellusions about that part being easy. Im certain I will spot between the first couple periods and according to my OBGYN it will be quite heavy at times. Im excited though! I want to know that everything is still working as it should be.

So far so good for me. Miss Jacque... I recommend getting off the depo right away. Although I cant say all the negatives from the depo have disappeared yet.. I am definately noticing an improvement in the consistency of my moods.

Dawgcr is right.. you should never lie to your doctor about something so important. I was only on depo for 4.5-5 years this time but I already have a bone scan scheduled to be safe. You cant take chances with your health. I have opted to do now BC until my cycle has returned to normal (to avoid throwing my hormones out of whack any further) but there are other options as dawgcr said. Talk to you doctor! They are our best allies right now..

Good luck!
Good for you for flushing your body!! And you may be very surprised to see that you may not spot at all, and may just have a full blown AF.  Especially if your on BC, that will help bring your cycles back even quicker and more regular.

I did no BC since DH and I were planning on having children, my cycle returned (after 11 years of Depo) within 6 weeks and I had a regular 5 day period.  Another cycle 4 weeks later, again 5 day period.  No spotting in between.

And make sure to wean yourself properly from celexa (as your doing), I did not wean myself properly had some very strange tremors for a few weeks! LOL
I hope dear AF comes as quickly and as regularly as yours when it finally does. I know a lot of people have had much more trouble than that with getting things regular.

Thanks for the well wishes... Im so excited to be getting off the celexa and am being very careful (as you said) not to do it too quickly.

It's only been a couple of weeks and I already feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Wish someone would have warned me before I ever got on this godforsaken shot. ;-P

First time finding this site and it is a relief.  I was on Depo for about 6 years.  My last shot was Nov 2009 due to lower % of bone density.  It is now May 2010 and I have yet to have my period.  My breasts are super tender as are my nipples.  I am due for my yearly physical with my dr this month, I wonder what I should do.  I am on meds due to seizures and MS so I cannot be on regular birth control pills, as the meds break them down and they are not as effective.  My husband got a vasectomy, so I am very thankful for that.  It is nice to see that I am not alone in my withdrawls!!!

Thanks!!
My daughter got on birth control at age 16 in January 08.  She was on the pill, and knows to protect herself for more than just pregnancy by using a condom, but I decided in the beginning of 2009 that depo would be a  more reliable prevention for her not getting pregnant.  She was doing all-star cheerleading and at the end of the 2009  season she complained that she was having pains on the left side of her body in her extremities.  She went to a nueroligist and they tried to find out was wrong with her.  They put her on Lyrica for the pain in August 2009 as they thought it had to be a nuerological problem.  Well in Febuary 2010 her new neuroligist who speicalizes in migraines realized they could not find nerve damage because she was having headaches on the left side of her head at the same time that they pain was occurring and he put on a medication for the migraines called Topolmax and took her off Lyrica and banded her caffeine intake.  To Continue
Since April 09 my daughter has been getting skin rashes that itch and I have been changing foods and detergents to figure out what is causing it.  They are raised areas that have large lesion type ares that are there for only about 24 hrs or a little longer and leave awful marks and dark spots when they go away.  I took her to the dermatologist In May 09 and he advised that he thought it might be the Topolmax she was taking for migraines that was causing it, but need a fresh outbreak so he could take a biopsy. 2 days later she got one and when he came in to biopsy her arm he advised that he now thought it was the Depo I was thinking no way birth control can do all of this.  I new she had gained so weight which I had expected, but after reading this sight I have set down with time and dates and realized that not just her weight gain, but the migraines, and pain in her extremities started after her very first depo shot.  Unfortunately she just had a shot recently and have to wait the process out.  I will get her to do more detoxing and take her for an Aqua Cleanse and makes sure that during our upcoming vacation she spends some quality time in the Sauna.  Thank you so much for all of the information that you have posted here.  If it had not been for the openess and honesty of those who have posted here who knows how long might daughter would have been on this mess and how far the side affects would have progressed.  Surely this was her last shot and probably her last birth control experience.  3 Months of convenience for depo is definitely not worth the pain and suffering that comes with it.  Again Thank you maybe now we can get everthing back on track.  Most definitely Knowledge is Power.
hi. i've been on the depo for 4 years and i have had enough. Im switching to cerazette in 3 weeks when my next shot is due. I was told when i went on it that my periods would stop. I've had irregular bleeding for 4 years, sometimes light spotting other times heavy bleeding. I've had bleeding during and after sex, weight gain, migraines and terrible tender breasts. And my mood swimgs are really bad. The bleeding is the hardest to deal with, and constantly feeling bloated. I still need contraception so im going to try cerazette, a proestogen only pill. I cant take the combined pill becauseo of my migraines. I wouldnt recommend this injection to anyone, its ruined my life.
My boyfriend and I have been discussing the option of having a baby.  We said we would wait until Feb next year (for financial reasons).  I am 35 this year and have been on depo since I was 21, so 14 years.  After skimming through these comments I am now very frightened.  We decided I would go off the injection around Feb and if it happened, it happened.  I've never really wanted to have a baby until now, and if it doesn't happen for natural reasons it wont bother me, but if its because of this injection, I will be mortified!  Why do medical professionals allow us to keep going with this for so long without proper check ups and discussing the side effects fully with us?  Why do they not advise us to go off it and give our bodies a break?  This information needs to be made known to people when they want to make a decision about going onto it.
I decided to stop depo; my last shot was in march and when june came around i decided to just say no. i am excited and scared all at the same time. Dawgcr, I have been doing to my current OBGYN for the past 4 years and he make me take a bone density test every year and will not write my prescription unless it is in normal range. I lied to him because i was afraid he would not give me the shot. It has been almost 4 months for me and no AF not even spotting.  i really havent had any major changes but figure after 13 years on depo, it may take some time.  I have an appt with the doctor to discuss alternative birth control methods later this month.  I have no ideal what i want to switch to and not sure i even want a AF.  Michelle I am glad to hear things are going good with you, kinda like a motivation for me.  So i will let you all know what happens, thanks!!
I was on Depo for 7 years or so. It was like a dream for the first 5, I loved not having a period! After 5 years, I noticed a huge drop in my libido. By the time I had been on Depo for 7 years, I had no sex drive at all whatsoever, to the point where I no longer felt like a woman, I didn't feel attractive, and I didn't want to go out at all. I made the choice to go off Depo, and onto birth control pills to get some estrogen into my body, and get a controlled period back.
Two years of flip flopping on many kinds of pills, I find out I am hypertensive, and my doc refuses to renew a prescription for the pill. As I do not intend to bear children, I was offered Depo once again as a viable method of birth control that would not affect my blood pressure. One shot was enough to drive me over the edge! I gained 25lbs in a little over a month, cravings through the roof, mood swings, hot sweats, you name it! I made the choice to not continue on Depo, and instead to try and get the money together for a Mirena IUD. I also decided to detox my body from hormones for the first time in 11years.

I was due to get another shot at the end of May. It's now end of July, and I have not had a period yet. I've lost 17lbs in the last 2 months (without changing my diet or daily habits). Not being on an effective form of birth control is affecting my sex life, as my partner and I have a strong aversion to condoms, and I haven't been able to get in to get the Mirena due to a string of unavoidable events. I really just want to get a period, more than anything, as not getting anything terrifies me into thinking maybe I'm pregnant! I also have been plagued with TERRIBLE yeast infections while coming off Depo... ugh

I would not recommend Depo Provera.
I started Depo in Nov of 2004 after the birth of my son.  It's been almost six whole years and I'm now 41 years old.  I loved not having periods, too- no spotting and bleeding for me. I, too, raved about Depo as the greatest thing since sliced bread...BUT the bone density loss concerns over time definitely scares me..and the weight gain and bloating made me want to stop. I was due for a shot July 6, 2010 and didn't go... My husband hasn't made the appointment for a vasectomy (yet)- can't afford to miss work to recover, even for a week or a few days.  I'm glad I found this forum- learned a lot from all your posts.I, too had a bone scan two years ago- and it was normal.  
Mood swings?  If anything, I feel more moody this month since going off Depo- but I was almost suicidal in May this year...so maybe things are gradually better (just crying at the drop of a hat now- not wanting to die)It's August and still no period, but I have had a few cramps and I was hoping (sort of hoping) that it was my period- but no period, yet...reading your posts, it might be awhile I guess- or not!  No breast tenderness yet- but most of you say that starts in a month or so after going off it...so I'm dreading that starting.  I thought I might have gotten pregnant already, but the dollar store preg test was negative (phew!)
I've tried the IUD in the past, but the cramps and bleeding were so uncomfortable I wanted it out within the month I tried it.  Plus, sex was painful with it. I have tried the pill in the past (teens and 20's) but it made me so naseuos (sp sorry) I had to stop.  That's why I loved Depo- no pain, no cramps except right before I was due for a shot, and no feeling sick to my stomach.  (Just weight gain and mood swings)
Soooooo, I await my period, the big "V" for hubby, and relief of having this hormone gone from my body.  The other fear I had on Depo was, being a smoker, that it can increase your risk of a stroke.....I'm also trying to quit that, too. :o)

i was a 10 year depo user. i began taking the depo when i was 13 and for years thought it was the greatest thing. i loved not havng periods!! i never had any anxiety or depression luckily but the loss of boss density and being infertile for life made me re-evaluate my situation and quit getting the shot. have now been off of it for about 4 months and all was good so far including the fact i lost 34lbs. but for the last month and a half my boobs have hurt so bad that even to just look at them makes me want to cry (and i have went from a 34B to a full C since i stopped the shot and im sure the depo had something to do with that.) about two and a half weeks ago i started what i thought was my period, it was extremely heavy and painful but i figured it had been so long i just forgot what it was like. it lasted about a week and a half and quit for two days. i then began bleeding moderately again. this afternoon i had the worst cramping and vaginal pain of my life almost like someone was stabbing me with a knife, a few hours later when i stood up i began bleeding heavily all over myself (literially running down my legs and into my boots). i am a paramedic and yet i was shocked at the excessive amount of free flowing blood EVERYWHERE!! the bleeding has continued at an insanely heavy rate still 4 hours later. lucky for me i am at work and close by an ambulance in case something really bad happens. my blood pressure has seemed to maintain so far but who knows. i am scared to go to a doctor in fear they will try to coax me into adding another hormone or birth control POISON into my system. I am glad i found this post so i know that i am not alone!! i wouldnt recommend this TORTURE to my worst enemy!!
Ok, so I have been reading all of your depo experiences and FREAKIN A WOW! I started using the depo shot after my 3rd child who will be 4 in April of 2011. My last shot was exactly on May 5th, 2010, because I like to allow mother nature to take its course just once atleast every 3rd shot. I usually get a FULL BLOWN HEAVY period as I did before depo, but this time I spotted maybe 3 to 4 drops in late September and nothing since. I havent had any withdrawl (withdrawal) issues, but I have noticed that I am waaaay more active in EVERY aspect of life. I have lost weight, the heart palps have stopped and I love my man again! So, we just recently (early October) decided to start trying for our 4th child(hopefully a girl cuz I have 3 boys). It is now November 7, 2010 and I have been experiencing some major nipple and ovarian soreness as if I have been working them out for the last 2 weeks. I have taken urine tests and they are all neg. Im thinking I should wait for my HCG's to accumilate or if Im not pregnant, should I still wait for a real period? I mean, is there any risk in recovering depo users of having still-borns or even mentally retarded children? I know I havent been on it as long as most of you on here, but everyone is different. Well I hope I am pregnant, but meanwhile, I wish you all the best in recovering. I have to call my sister now (depo user) and try to convince her to get off of it, because she just started taking prescription drugs for her depression...stupid doctors! God Bless you All!
I AM SOO GLAD I FOUND THIS WEBSITE!!!! I am going on 18 i have been on depo since i was 14. when i first got on the shot like everone else i loved not having periods. I didnt have any weight gain (which i had hoped for because i was only 100 lbs) i was due for a shot in September but i didnt get it because i was thinking about getting off until i got those first couple of periods i also had yeast infections and extream breast pain(but they did grown when i got off). then i just got back on it last month now i am really considering getting off for good that i have seen all these things that you ladies hav go through...nex shot is due in feb but im not getting it so does anyone have any detox advice
thankx <3
I was off & on depo for approx 16 years. I didn’t put weight whilst on depo, in actual fact it assisted with my fibrocystic breasts – the lumps just went away.  I put this down to depo decreasing the amount of estrogen we produce in our bodies – which is the cause of fibrocystic breasts.  Anyway, every time I tried to come off depo I would go through revolting hormonal surge periods like I was going through menopause.  I had no idea what was happening to me, other than it was hell.  I finally resolved in going off depo for good 2 years ago & still feel like my body is finding its hormonal balance.  After researching symptoms I do believe since coming off depo I experience ‘Estrogen Dominance’ – look up Dr Lees book called ‘Hormone Hell to Hormone Well’.  No amount of exercise, healthy eating, water intake, vitamins actually fix this hormone imbalance.  I finally come across natural progesterone cream which has certainly taken the edge off my anxiety – feel a lot calmer.  My stomach has lost the pregnancy bloating feeling that happened immediately after I came off depo.  The last thing I’m trying to treat is my enlarged breasts….when ever I tried to come off depo my breasts would increase in size & really hurt…the progesterone cream has not addressed this, so I’m now taking: DIM supplements and have ordered Lugol’s Iodine.  Apparently Iodine fixes fibrocystic breasts and reduces swelling.  Some posts I’ve read have actually experienced breasts shrinking.  I do hope I can achieve this as well – as I’m very uncomfortable.  I expect to pick up the iodine liquid at the end of this week, so I will come back to this site after a week to let you know how I get on & if any improvement.  I do hope this post has helped.  Doctors have no idea what they are giving us…we need to research & share our stories & let each other know what natural alternatives have worked.  The reason why iodine is not widely known about is because it is natural & can’t be patented and therefore pharmaceutical giants can’t make millions.  The same goes for the bio-natural progesterone….which is made out of wild yam…DO YOUR RESEARCH AND DON’T BELIEVE EVERYTHING A DOCTOR TELLS YOU.
Eliza
I started taking Depo when I was 14 years old I am now 26. I was off of it for a couple years and was on the pill called seasonal because my Dr said it wasn't good to be on it for more that 2 years at a time, due to their studies showing it lowers bone density. I went back on it after being off of it for a couple years because my Dr said that they did more studies and apparently it was safe again. I took my last shot in October 2009, I didn't get a period until April 2010, then I got it again in May and started getting it every two weeks. I called my Dr because I hadn't had a period in so long I was not ready to deal with one every two weeks, she put me on the pill for 3 months to regulate my periods. I stopped the pill in September and since then I have been getting a period but they have been coming every 32-36 days. I have had horrible cramps, mood swings, breast tenderness and I don't like these side effects. My boyfriend & I have been trying to get pregnant it is now the middle of April 2011 and still no luck. I am very irritable and I have no idea why, I start crying for no reason. I put on about 85lbs while I was on Depo and I haven't been able to lose more than 15lbs, I'm sure part of it has to do with depression which has seemed to get better since being off of it. After reading all your posts I'm glad I found this site makes me feel like I'm not alone. I have had Drs tell me that it can take between 12-18 months to get pregnant after Depo but its getting quite frustrating after trying for so long and having no luck. The last week or so I have had some lower abdomen cramps that come & go and some weird lower and middle back pain, not sure if its stress or that maybe I'm finally pregnant. If I would have known it would be this hard getting pregnant after getting off of it I would have never taken it. And my dr still can't tell me if I'm ovulating regularly or not, they claim that as long as I'm getting a period every month i should be ovulating. I will check back in a few weeks and post again if I have any news. Thanks for all the info it has helped a lot!
I'm just getting off Depo after almost two years. In that time I have gained almost 40lbs, experienced the depression stage (went on Wellbutrin, Zoloft, and Trazadone). My sex drive went from 100 mph to a crawling 10 mph (lost my husband to several affairs too). Oh, not to mention diabetes and high blood pressure too (both hereditary, but aggrevated and elevated by the depo). I was experiencing shortness of breath, significant hair loss, always hungry and heart futtersm. I literally felt like I was dying at 33. I would diet and exercise and not lose a pound! My diabetes and mood swings were out of control so that's why I decided to stop the shot. I wanted my life and health back. I was due for my next shot April 2011, I didn't get it. For the past three weeks I've been dieting and exercising like crazy. Low carb dieting, an hour of taebo plus a 3 mile walk everyday, and I have not lost 1 pound! So frustrating! Not to mention cramps beyond belief with chocolate colored mucus spotting every now and then. I'm starting to have bouts of hot flashes and headaches (which I'm confused about maybe its my high blood pressure). I'm sorry I'd advised all women to stay away from this method of birth control!
Hi everyone!
First and foremost, I want to thank each and every one of you for keeping this board alive! I found you all last year, around January, and let me just say, it changed my life entirely. I was doing some research, just Googling around "depo support groups and advice,"

Let me introduce myself. My name is Brittany, I'm 22 and I'm an ex-depo survivor. I began it in September of 2008, and it's officially been out of my system, or to be blunt about it. I FINALLY GOT MY PERIOD AGAIN in May 2010. (Happy 1 year to me!)
I gained 40lbs during that time & DID NOT bleed once! And along with the rest of you, I experienced serious anxiety and depression issues. I began to see a therapist also, and they prescribed me, Gabapentin (aka Neurontin) AND Seroquel. I suffered a side effect called "tardive dyskinesia" from the Neurontin. It's the equivalent of having tourettes syndrome. (in fact, the two are difficult to diagnose as their symptoms are similar.)
It was so bad. I would just sit there and twitch. My head was out of control. My neck always hurt and I couldn't sleep still.. sometimes at all. Too afraid of not waking up. Afraid my brain would explode. I was a nutcase. My boyfriend, (who has loved me and has been there by my side through all of this) could tell you how bad it was. He doesn't like to admit to it, and I hate thinking about it but there would be times where he would just yell at me to stop twitching, and I'd cry because I couldn't. I'd lay there and just keep wondering when things would go back to normal. When would I feel normal again? Would I ever feel normal again? Maybe?
I was sort of forced off of the Neurontin, in December 09. I was visiting family in IN, and my therapist office informed me that my case had been canceled, and I was no longer a patient of theirs. (for missing 3 weeks, that I made sure to tell them I'd be missing.) They didn't say anything about my medicine, just tossed me off to the side.
So I figured.. "If I'm getting off of this stuff, I might try to get off of Depo, and try something else also"
And so I found you ladies. You're all so wonderful.
I remember showing Steven (boyfriend of 4 years<3) all the posts, and how much sense it made to us.
Everything just CLICKED. A light went off. A weight was lifted. A sigh of relief was taken.

I switched to Loestrin 24FE last April, and 1 month later, I was back to bleedin.
I don't mean to sound gross or weird when I say this but to me, it was a beautiful moment.
I was an early bloomer (10yo!) and I felt like my sense of self as a woman was straight up stolen from me.
I didn't feel sexy. Didn't really feel like I was 'normal'
So when I called my Dr to tell her I was bleeding and hear the excitement in her voice too, made it that much more of a happy moment for me.
(ain't it funny when a Dr. actually wants you to bleed! LOL)

And now.. It's been a whole year (time flies) that I've been taking the pill faithfully at 9:30pm.
I bleed like I'm supposed to.
I feel like I'm supposed to.
There's no more depression, or anxiousness.
No more awful head twitching.

I'm finally back to me.

Oh and by the way.... I cannot seem to shed 1 single pound either!! If anyone finds the cure, LET ME KNOW!

Thank you all very very much.

Brittany
OH my gosh!! I just found this site while trying to figure out whether or not I was losing my freaking mind!

I was a 10 year depo user. My mom (who is a NP) put me on it when I turned 13. I never knew it was BC until I was about 17, but I never had a period while on depo. My parents went through an awful divorce in 2006, and I have dealt with depression from what I thought was that! Clearly my depo had a LOT to do with my horrible moods!!!

My last depo shot was due Jan 6th of this year and I did not take it. I had 1 AF in April, but it would be on then off..on then off.. and that lasted for about a week total. Between Jan and April, my husband was almost ready to kill me - I was almost bipolar! My OB-GYN told me this was NOT normal (obviously he's clueless) and put me on Pristiq. Since having the Pristiq, I've been better hormonally, but in the last week the bipolar crazy woman has returned. I notice that I get SO angry over STUPID stuff - and it's like I'm watching someone else because I can't do anything to not be mad!!

My husband and I are TTC, and I should have ovulated within the last 2 weeks. For the past 3 days, I have been having random bleeding - it's dark in color, and if I use 1 tampon it's enough. At first I thought this might be because I was pregnant and the baby was implanting, but after reading these posts I'm not so sure!! The odd thing is, I don't actually bleed out onto my panties, so it's just hanging out inside my vagina. I also have this strange...pressure?... in my ovaries/uterus. It almost feels like someone is squeezing them, and it doesn't exactly hurt but it feels very odd. I am only 22, so I am hoping that we can conceive sometime soon. Since I'm young, maybe it won't take as long - but I can't imagine having to wait over a year!

Anyone with any updates PLEASE share!
Hi, i'm 36 (37 in sept) and was on the depo for 13 years since the birth of my  second daughter, separation, divorce, death in family, loosing the house, i'd had enough and came off it, 18ish months later, two very very heavy periods, (changing the pad every hour and it was a night time one) the doc put me on cerazette, non stop bleeding for 5 weeks until i can off it, since the nowt, nothing, nada, my new bf and i are trying to get pregnant, but i'm so scared that my time has run out.

Any advice? And thank you to all, i just wish i'd know this before xxx
I just found this blog and OMG! I never realized how bad the Depo was for you and that you weren't supposed to use for 15 years like it had been.  At my last shot, the doctor told me that now than I am 40 I can't use any BC with estrogen or progestern and that I would no longer get the shots.  So I didn't get my shot last month.  Thought I should google Depo and see when I might get my period or pregnant and found this site. It's been one month w/o Depo and so far so good.  No period, but no other weird stuff either. I'm terrified of getting pregnant, but unsure about what to do now.  If I had health insurance I'd have more options, but I'd need a better job.  Thanks for being here for those of us who needed the info. Good luck to all of us.
i really REALLY need some advice. Ive been on the depo shot for around 4-5 years. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia around 2 years ago. It literally hurts when someone pokes me in the arm. to the point i want to cry. I also have been having headaches recently, and have had ALOT of weight gain. My next shot is due at the end of this month and im trying to decide if i should get it. Im wondering if my fibromyalgia may be linked to my depo shot. Is there any good BC to switch to? and has anyone else had pain issues being on the depo. My back hurts all the time to the point i can barely sleep. im on pain meds, muscle relaxers and sleep meds. my body hurts ALL the time. and its awful :( can anyone give me any advice?
IAm 22 and was put on depo at 11 for extreme bleeding. Every single day of my life I need to expect bleeding. It comes on whenever it wants and as heavy as it wants. I just had surgery a month ago and found out things that have made me miss out on slot at my age because of depo. My bleeding never stopped I bled for weeks at a time. I now take anxiety and depression meds. I am in early stages of menopause. Depo caused my body to fill clots Iam now on a blood thinner. I can't drink alcohol anymore because I instantly feel unsettled and shaky. My boobs hurt extremely but I feel they r growing. During my surgery there was a risk issued of sterilization caused by depo aside the fact that the surgeon lacerated my cervix severely and almost caused me to hemorrage. I have not had sex in over a year I had 2 mis carriages on depo.  I have no urge to have sex as it hurts when I do due to being dry. I am off since my new ob found out how long I had been on the drug and the damage it caused. I have had  periods sine my surgery which was a mnth ago. My bleeding still ***** and I've been dealing with this since I was 11 . I dk wat else to do. But Iam waiting to see if I'll ever b able to carry a child or they can reverse the menopause. Iam only 22
Hello all.. I was on the pill for about 10 years, and then I got a blood clot (DVT) in my calf (which is a whole other story) - I was advised to go on Depo as the pill would increase my rick of further blood clots, and with the advantage of not getting my period, why would I say no... I have only had 2 injections and I am not getting a third.. I have gained weight, been anxioius, had major mood swings, no sex drive, am tired all the time and I get irritated at the most simple things that I used to just laugh at. I just dnot feel like myself at all.. My next injection is due at the end of September - I cant wait to be free of these un-natural hormones.. I am a little bit nervous about the withdrawal effects, but at least they will have a light at the end of the tunnel.. Can anyone tell me how long it took for them to conceived after coming off Depo.. my partner and I want to start trying at the start of the year (as I was told by my Dr that it would only take about 3 months to go back to normal.. ) but after reading this and several other threads I am starting to think that it is going to take a lot longer than that...If there is someone out there that has sucessfully conceived post depo I would love to know how long it took you..

Good luck to all out there.. at least we know we are not alone :)
I was on depo for only a year and a half, but I always had a period with the shot. I recently quit the shot (about 5 weeks ago) and had the worst period of my life right afterwards. My doctor told me that this was a good sign, she said it might mean that I actually ovulated. My husband and I have decided that we would life to conceive. We have been trying and I am late for my period...hopefully all goes well. I am nervous though after reading about how depo can cause MC's. Also, after reading other posts I now understand why my heart raced and my sides would start killing me. I unfortunately started to have depression from the shot and had decided to switch...then decided to just get off of everything completely and try to conceive. I also read on here about ladies gaining weight...I fortunately have lost weight. I was 145lbs when I started taking depo and now I weigh 130lbs. Hopefully, this helps someone...I believe there is hope for our bodies health after taking depo. I just wish someone would have told be about all these side effects before I started taking the shot.
Oh...and I almost forgot in the 5 weeks of being off depo my breast have grown a size...whether it be pregnancy or depo it's nice to be a b instead of an a...
I am yet another person who has been on the depo for over 10 years, found it amazing and had very few issues, loved not having a period, but it did give me acne and a few years ago did decrease my sex drive, but I still had it as I was so used to it and had many issues with the pill. I never wanted to have children, but now I have met the right man I do!!! I was so anxious about coming off, it has been such a reliable contraceptive and overall I cannot complain. I have gained some weight, but over 10 years the chances are that was going to happen anyway. I am 34 now and hoping to start a family next year. After talking with my partner, GP and seeing this site, I made the decision not to have my last shot, that was due 15th Aug. I must say, I have not had any depression or anxiety that other people have talked about and I feel like I am going into the unknown. My breasts hurt like mad, I keep getting bouts of what I call "phantom" period pains, but these are nothing like what I remember period pains to be like, so again, I guess I can't complain. When I went on this there was very little information available, in fact, I was on the pill for 7 years (many different ones as none really suited me) and back then they advised  not taking the pill for more than 7 yrs, thats why I had the depo as the pros seemed to outweigh the cons. I would say to anyone that sees this site on researching the depo, if you think its for you then dont be put off, just bear in mind all the comments that have been posted. We are all different, I am still dreading things returning to normal and still wonder if they will. At 34 I should not have acne, I am slightly overweight but as I eat healthy and exercise 3/4 times a week I am confident I can lose this. I hope that I my skin will clear for my wedding next year and things will start to return to normal. I am very concerned about MC's and my heart goes out to those who have dealt with this. I do feel like I am 11 again, wondering if that first period will catch me off guard and embarrass me!!! But, as much as I am dreading that day, I think I will feel like a woman again. In my early 20's, any period ofg time without periods seemed like the best ever thing, now I am not so sure. I know this is early days for me and will keep you all posted. I hope this helps, as this site as really helped me, otherwise I would still be on it- they say it MAY take 18 mths to get back to normal, but if you want to start a family best use condoms while you let the drug come out your body.
I only got the depe shot once. I have been off it since june 20th. I had withdrawls, very intense nausea, depression, minor emotional breakdowns. I seem to be back to normal now except for spotting. I keep spotting, overall i would say its a lot of liquid coming out of my body but its not like a period, its very thin, looks pink, but enough comes out for me to have to wear a pad or tampon. I had this happen around the time my period was supposed to come, so I was very glad, but it lasted for 9 days instead of the usual 7. Then a week and a half later it came back again and now i have been spotting non stop for four days. Does anyone have any advice please
WOW.

I am floored. I thought, literally, I was losing my mind. I'm 41, have been on depo since 2003 and have had so many strange and "seemingly" unrelated mental and physical symptoms come up since then that it never occurred to me depo may be the reason. Like many here, the first couple of years seemed fine - but the past 6 years have been a slow slide into awful depression, and recently anxiety as well. Since going on depo I have experienced over time:

- Weight gain in the first couple of years (I was able to lose this, but only through extremely strenuous exercise daily and a very restricted diet)
- Depression that has grown worse over time from mild depression to complete loss of interest in everything and zero ambition (which has greatly impacted my career)
- Memory loss that started in 2004 where I can't think of very obvious names or words
- Leg and buttock muscle pain that started in 2006 that comes and goes and is horrible - seems to get worse as the time for my shot nears - had every back and muscle test in the land, no apparent cause
- A strange skin issue in 2006-2007 that the doctors were completely unable to diagnose and ended up giving me Accutane for (which worked, but is an awful drug) - only after they tried every cream, soap, lotion and anti-biotic in the land
- Sweating so bad starting in 2007 that seemed to come out of nowhere and has had me constantly worried for years in social and work situations
- Adverse reaction to all medications, vitamins and anti-depressants which started in 2006 - drugs that I've taken in the past with no adverse effects whatsoever - ALL of them now cause tingling in my legs and feet that is unbearable
- And recently, just for fun, anxiety - which I have never, ever had in my life and would not wish on anyone.

I am interested to hear from anyone who has experienced any of these things.

Looking back, I realize that these things have each slowly gotten worse over time, and that absolutely not one of them was in play prior to going on depo. After reading these posts it was the depression that really made sense to me, it took this forum for me to realize how bad it is now, and how it has progressed over time for no apparent reason.

The amount of money I've spent on therapists, doctors, treatments, tests, holistic solutions, and more is insane. All of these issues have been a vicious circle where one thing seems to make the other thing worse. I have been to 28 different types of doctors - no answers. And no one ever asked me about the depo, though it was in my files.

I am due for my shot this week, and have decided not to go in. I lost my boyfriend recently due to all of these issues constantly being on my mind and making me nervous, worried and depressed. So, don't need BC. And, true to form, because it's time for my shot, the leg pain has resurfaced.

I am very excited to see if going off the depo helps return me to normal. I used to be very active, engaged, fun and excited - now am just sad and uninterested. I need to remind myself to be patient as I know it takes time to get out of the system but having read the posts here I am positive that a large number of the things I have been going through have been due to this drug - it is the only constant across all of these issues. Thanks for all of the great insights!
My daughter (16 years old) was given a depo injection to control her migraines which she was getting monthly.  What a nightmare!  She has had a migraine for 3 months straight.  Having only had one injection, we are waiting for the depo to leave her system and hopefully she can get her life back.  She has missed 13 days of school this semester because she could not function.  She has lost 15 pounds, has dark circles under her eyes and is in contant pain.  She has trouble concentrating and is very moody.  We were not told of any of these possible side effects or she would never have had the injection.  She finally had her first real period 2 weeks ago and actually went 2 days without a headache.  Just when we thought we were on the downhill side of things she has now had a headache for 3 days straight.  If anyone has any information on what we can do to help the detox, please let us know.  If anyone is considering getting the depo shot.  Please for you own sake, don't do it.
wow, this truley blows my mind!!! i just got off the depo shot a year ago, bc me and my boyfriend wanted to have a baby, i was doing some reaserch about how long could it take to get pregnant and i came across this site, i am stilll i guess you would call it "detoxing" depression, axiety, the feeling im pregnant and everything seems to be getting worse not better, and ive been off the shot now for a year, a few months ago i started having a period of i guess what i thought was one it was brown for a while, then about 2 months ago it started getting red again, the past month i only had my period for 2 days thinking and praying maybe i was pregnant, im glad to read all this because now i dont feel so alone, i just thought i was stressing myself and maybe thats why i was depressed and so on, but after reading your storys it makes complete sence, i forget things all the time, i also have been havin sever back pain and extreme pain like a period cramp but much worse, also i said something to my OBGYN about my off heart beats they said to just go see my dr. i cant believe this has been going on this long and the drs are still giving this to people! i hope this hurrys up and gets outta my system soon, i feel like im loosing myself, and my mind! and i want so bad to finally have a baby with the one i love...i hope things change soon!! i hate being this "person"!
Hi. I had been having the injection for 8 or 9 years and came off last year. I had one period then nothing until last month. Lately I have this over whelming feeling I am pregnant but have dont a test and it was negative. I have been feeling depressed and like I am going crazy, I am so moody and on the edge of crying all the time. I am tempted everyday to go for a long walk and just keep going. I am normally so happy, but at the moment like I am not me if that makes sense. I didnt feel like this when I first stopped having the injection but it has hit me the last 2 or 3 months. I had no negative symptons when taking it.

I have read people get depressed on depo but not sure if people have after stopping?
ive didnt get the way i am untill afterwards either, its called "detoxing" and it *****!!!! :(
I had been on Depo since November of 2004. My Depo was great for the first full year. I had no period which was awesome at the time; I used to be laid up in bed for three days because I couldn't walk more than a few feet without soaking a super-plus tampon AND pad. No weight gain. Felt normal. Very active sex life with my partner.

Then right before my fifth shot (November 2005), it all hit the fan. I literally went into full blown mood swings so bad, they gave me HEAVY antidepressants and benzos. I gained 25 lbs in a month and had NO sex drive. (To be fair, part of these issues were medication-related due to the Depo-induced mania) I gained an additional 35 lbs over the next five years.  The worst part were the uncontrollable rages I would have every few months. Rages in which my partner would literally have to tie my hands and sit on me to prevent any harm to the house, myself, or him. I began tracking the rages and realized they were cyclical and coincided with the last two weeks of a Depo cycle. Then I lost the additional 35 lbs this year through hard work but the initial 25 were sticking despite continued rigorous exercise and diet changes. I had also been suffering from that Depo haze where I lost track of what I am saying, couldn't remember words, and general memory loss. That was the last straw!

I had a Paragard IUD inserted last week after my Depo shot I had in July. I got really lucky with my new insurance and they covered everything with a $30 copay! I can already feel my head clearing up, mood stabilizing, sex drive revving and I'll be doing a Master Cleanse as a detox in January to move the hormones out of my body. I already am drinking close to 12 glasses of water a day and upped my fruits and veggies.

I can deal with normal menstrual mood swings and even the god-awful cramping and bleeding compared to everyone thinking I'm crazy and putting me on brain chemicals and hormones. Depo may be the biggest mistake I have ever made.
I have be on the depo shot since Aug of 2009, after i gave birth to my amzing little girl. I am only 21 years olds and have also been diagnosed with panic disorder and have been taking zoloft and lorazopam as needed, well...lately it seems like a month early of me getting my shot I get extremely agitated and i feel like i could cry and run away from myself all at the same time. this ***** because i honestly think that the depo is what triggered everything to come on. I was on normal bc pills, but I had to stop them due to the fact i was getting pains in my legs. The depo works wonders with keeping me from getting pregnant, but I don't have a sex drive either! I stay dry and it takes everything I have to have sex with my fiance, I just am not in the mood anymore.....also I just find it interesting about the side effects...also I do not want to end up losing all of my bone mass due to this. Just confused and I hate this. I am due to get my next shot at the end of jan 2012, but I dont know yet what I want to due because i keep going through these cycles!
I myself am getting ready to go off of the shot. Unfortunately, I to have experienced serious problems in my marriage. It has almost cost me my marriage. I have been on it for 8 years. I have experienced every side effect listed, on every website except the bone density loss thankfully! I think the only thing that saved me besides the calcium supplements was the bad acid reflux I get and the amount of tums I eat! I am nervous myself as I am a week out from being due and am feeling horribly fatigued, anxious, angry, and the headache and cramps have started. It is going to be a long next couple of months. Steph
Dear Kimmie,
Could you give me some weight loss advice?  I was on Depo for about 2 yrs, then stopped it because I gained 50 pounds in 2 years, regardless of working out all the time and eating healthy (I even kept a food journal to control my calories!)  After stopping Depo, I took Yaz (which also contains progesterone) for about 4 months, but then stopped taking all hormonal B.C. altogether.  Now my hubby & I use alternate, non-hormonal methods, and I've been off Depo for over a year now.  My question for you is this:  is there ANY way to kick-start my weight loss?  Any legitimate supplements or "detox" things you know of that can help me start burning fat?  Thanks so much for your help, and I wish I had known about the horrible side effects of this drug before I began it!  
Sincerely,
Rachel L.
I have been receiving Depo for the past 11 years, as my Dr's solution to dealing with an unplanned pregnancy that ended up being full term still born. Prior to the shot I had a severely light 3 day cycle every 2 months at best. I was advised that being so irregular, the shots were the best thing for me. I have never checked the side effects of it since I was put on it, and of course was assured it was absolutely safe.
Since beginning the shots, I have had a total immune shutdown. Muscular and nerve breakdown. I'm being treated for swelling in my brain that causes severe bleeding, and have had a global motility shutdown of my lower stomach and intestines, with a delay in esophageal function. Not being able to eat or digest properly I was put on a liquid diet and still gained 120lbs in 4 months- undiagnosed. 8 years spent in a diagnostic center, and still completely undiagnosed in regards to everything - just heavily medicated with a chemical cocktail to control the symptoms, and put on disability. The depression and anxiety I developed over the years was always attributed to the loss in the quality of my health.
Last year I spoke to my Dr about coming off of the Depo, as later in life my husband and I wanted to try for a family - and was advised I had been on it too long and had less then 5% chance of ever conceiving. I was also refused the option to switch to something else.  After 2 more shots that year, I decided to just no show my next appointment and boycott the shot.
That was the end of October. November I had what appeared to be a normal cycle, but at what should have been the end of it - it became increasingly worse. I called my Dr's multiple times, and was told not to worry about it. December came, and was worse then November. Still, no action from the Dr's. January came, and by the middle of the month I was having to change pads every 30 minutes, my breasts felt as though they had been mutilated, I couldn't eat or drink, and I was losing consciousness. I was finally hospitalized, and quickly discharged with direction to see my gynecologist first thing in the morning.  At this appointment I was lectured for missing my shot, advised I had no other options to resort to, and told the only way to stop the bleeding and other symptoms was to get another shot.  That was January of 2011, and as of today I am still on the shot with my next one due March 1 - and I so desperately want off of it.

If my Dr will not provide any support for me discontinuing the shot, are there ANY options that I possibly have? I live in an area that once you're lucky enough to have a Dr take you on as a patient, you can't just decide to go to someone else.
I am thinking of going off the depo and have the same fears as you, I see you went off in 2009, how did it go? I am nervous. Any info you can give me will help greatly. Thank you so much.
Hi there,

Just wondering how long it took for the depo to wear off? I am struggling with the die off and want to speed things up, even considered having another shot as I was having it for endometreosis pain and I am really struggling with the aching, paranoia and vision problems. I can barely leave the house cos i feel so strange.

Any advice or help from anyone would be much appreciated.

Thanks alot.

mary
I'm 25 and was on depo for 8 years. I have now been off of it for almost a year and haven't felt right for the past 9 months. It started with an inner ear infection but after that cleared up I still didn't feel myself, usually just kind off lightheaded or foggy feeling. My dr. Said to start my anxiety meds back up but it didn't change anything. I also had a thyroid test and full bloodwork done and everything came back fine. When my periods started back up they were a normal monthly cycle. 2 months ago I started having a cycle every 2 weeks then every other week. This past week I've had pain by my left ovary that spread to my back and I've been very lightheaded. I went to the dr. And they repeated bloodwork and did a regular and transvaginal ultrasound which all came back fine. I have an appointment with an OB in a few days but just wanted to know if anyone had symptoms like these?
I realize that your post is from several years back. I am just wanting to put out there that I am so glad that I found other women that totally understand what I have gone through in the last 10 years. I have been on the depo for 13 years now and am 40 yrs old.  I started out with thinking this was the best thing ever!  Having twins I knew I would not remember the pill everyday and not having periods a bonus! I gained some weight but was able to excercise and eat better and that made a difference with the weight gain. It wasn't until several yrs into taking the depo did I start having mad rages, anxiety, severe depression, mood disorder, loss of concentration, just over all fogginess.  I really really truly just thought I was going crazy and also getting up in age.  Until reading all these forums did I realize that I wasn't the only one going through this and that it is the depo. I am now getting ready to go off the depo with the help of a new gyn. I say that because my old gyn just told me I could go off the depo with no problems or side effects. NOT! After hearing all these stories I was and am terrified of what is about to happen. So, after much research I found a gyn who is awesome. She is going to put me on a very low dose of b/c to help with some of the problems that can come with started your period after not having one for 13yrs. I know alot of ppl say way put more hormones in your body, but I rather be weaned off the just jump in the water also she is doing many test on me, like bone denisty, thyroid which I was dx with a high thyroid, and some other blood tests that are suppose to be done with on depo let alone being on it for so long.  I just wish I had known all this when I first got on depo which that dr didn't even give me a pamplet about it. Because, I just about lost my marriage, my mind and my whole self worth over this horrible ordeal of the depo shot. Since, you have been off of this for awhile please let me know that life does get better and any tips about getting off depo.  
Hi , I had been on this Depo Shot since 2004 . I stooped taking the shot August 2012 , so yea 8yrs. I haven't had my AF yet, I'm going to start a Detox , I'm not trying to get pr-ego just want to get my body back to normal.Wen i started my first shot i was like 120lb max this past year i was weighing 156lb . I'm only 5.3 so this is allot. I currently weigh 140lb not sure if the depo was causing it .The weight started to creep up on the last two yrs. during the first 4yrs my normal wight was 133lb max  so just this  past yrs was wen I started gaining a lot more  weight.Also i was producing milk for not allot but i notice one day wen my nipples were really itchy and i decided to squeeze it and out of nowhere little drops of milk came out . I was scared. That's the reason I didn't continue with the shot . I have been  of the shot for one month now .so will see how it goes ....
oh and also not sure about being depress i thought that the way I was just not friendly .But will see ill keep u guys updated
I have been on Depo since i was 19 years old. I am now 45! So that means i have been on it for more than 25 years! I have had two children and it took me 8 months to have a period before i conceived. I had another baby pretty soon as i was scared that if i went back on it i would take a long time to conceive again. I have had not a period in over 23 years and have experienced no problems with it - EXCEPT NOW - i have been trying to come off it before i hit the menopause and have real problems with the amount of pain i am in. The breast pain is so bad that i am in tears often and cannot let anyone come near me. The doc has taken advice from the family planning dept at the hosp and i can go on having it until i hit the menopause if i wish. I have never been offered a bone density scan or any other drug which could help me come off this horrible drug.

My name is Mary. I recently turned 27 & decided to get off the depo shot after 10 years. I'm curious on what to expect next. Do I need to be worried about anything? Brace myself for something? I'm just very clueless and just want to prepare myself for the worse if I need to.
Hi ive bein on the depo snice 14 im now 24 I have had all the symptoms and bad lows . my mum and sisters have big boobs and I don't im like an A could this be from going on depo at early age ? im comeing off the depo do you think my boobs may get bigger?
I just started doing research on this and came to your post.  I see it was back in 2011 and its 2014, wondering how you made out? I have been on the depo shot for 14 years, it was to treat endodemtreous.  I too was having tremendous pian and pressure.  I just had surgery on Wednesday to remove cysts and to ( after 14 years) make sure it is endodemtreous.  Well long story short it is not endodemtreous! I had " an infection in my tube for very long time, also numerous dried blood clots( that they thought was tumors and cysts). Needless to say they removed 1 ovary and tube on right side along with a cyst, did a dnc to clean blood clots.  Everything was sent for biopsy,  I will not get results until the 29th. Please let me know what you went through, as I had the same symptoms.