Graves, Endometrial Hyperplasia, Progesterone
Hello - 2 years ago at age 46 I was diagnosed with Grave's disease.  I opted to take drugs to treat this rather than a more radical approach.  It took awhile but it got under control and I now take only 2.5 mg of tapezole per day.  I am still testing positive for antibodies so the endocrinologist wants me to continue.  Last September I had my "female" hormone levels checked as things with my period were a little whonky - no period for three months and then three in a month.  All my levels were within normal range and doc figured perimenopause. I had an ultrasound that showed something funny in the lining of the uterus as well as some fibroids and a cyst.  I was referred to a gyn for further investigation.  She booked a hysterscopy. Meanwhile, while waiting for the test, I had a period in January and then nothing.  In March I started having hot flashes - they came on suddenly and violently and I was probably having 50 or so a day.  Doc ran thyroid levels and they were fine and then checked my female hormones.  My fsh came back at 112.  The estrogen level was ok but doc felt this number just took longer to fall.  The third number was also way off.  Doc said at this time that I was in menopause.  I had an appointment with her and family doc and both felt that I was done with periods.  (yahoo!). The hot flashes lasted about 10 weeks and then disappeared as suddenly as they came on.  It was not a gradual start or reduction - one day they were there and then gone. (yahoo!).  Hysterscopy showed that I had hyperplasia without atypia.  Doc started me on prometrium.  Breast tenderness started almost right away.  Ten days after starting the prometrium, I got a raging period. (boo) I am also experiencing some anxiety and panic feelings (not normal for me).  Wondering if it is possible after all that I have not gone through menopause or if the progesterone has just resumed my periods articificially.  I don't have a follow up until December as she wanted me to try 6 months of the hormone.  Do I need to be concerned or are these just natural things? Thank you for your help and insight!
oops two years ago I was 44 when I was diagnosed with graves.
I am currently 46.
Hi there!

Well, without the relevant clinical details or a detailed clinical evaluation, it would be difficult to comment on the situation. Perimenopause usually occurs with irregular periods and menstruation is not expected to stop abruptly. This could be perimenopause or a hormonal issue. I would suggest seeking the opinion of an endocrinologist as well in addition to a gynaecologist for a confirmatory diagnosis.
Hope this helps.

Take care!