Gray hair turning brown

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Gray hair turning brown

Has anyone experienced gray hair turning dark brown??? I am 40 years old and am having an unusual regeneration of brown hair. I started going gray when I was in my early 20's. (No I am not coloring it brown!!) I have a significant amount of brown hair growing in between what was previously completely gray!! I am not taking any medications and I have not changed my diet... I am perplexed as to why it is changing back to brown??? I am perfectly healthy. I am not taking any vitamins either... Has anyone ever heard of this???
No  but it sure is great!
I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS BUT I THINK IT'S GREAT. MAY YOU SPEND THE REST OF YOUR DAYS AS A GORGEOUS NATURAL BRUNETTE. HAVE A GOOD DAY, TOO.
Hi Jenny,

my grandmother had a similar experience.  When she was about sixty a small patch of brown hair (2 inches X 2 inches) emerged from her full head of gray!  Hopefully thats something I can look forward too as Im beginning to turn gray and I'm only 30...

Have a nice day.
Yes... I am 32... about a year ago I was flooded with gray hair patches what seemed like overnight. Now they have almost all completely disappeared. I don't know how or when it happened. I really just stopped paying attention and looked one day and there was my brown hair again. Still a very tiny bit of gray but barely noticeable in comparison to what it used to be.

The only thing I can think of is my lifestyle habit has changed slightly. I've tried to reduce my stress by getting more sleep and eating right. I've started taking alot of vitamin supplements and health drinks. Could that be the reason why? I am rather shocked to tell you the truth.
The same thing happened to my grandma. She had a full head of white hair and then started getting black hair throughout again. She used to have natural black hair. I don't know what causes it but I guess it's fairly common. I'd be happy if it happened to me! :)
My dad is going through this right now. I'm on here trying to figure out what's going on. He just turned 74 and has been all gray for a long time now. Within the last few weeks, he is having dark black hair growing throughout his whole head. He had dark black hair and that is how it's growing back. It looks like he has black streaks in a full head of gray. Weird. I'm happy for him. I just wish I knew what was really causing it. He has been stressed since this started. At the hospital everyday for weeks with his brother so it doesn't add up. I would think being less stressed out would cause it. So confused.
This is happening to me!  I started getting white hairs at 18 I am now 41. Until a few months ago I had 75% white hair that I dyed.   Suddenly the hair started growing back light brown and now is dark brown, as it was before I started going white.  I was diagnosed with celiac disease and stopped eating gluten 8 months ago.  I think the white hair may have been due to a vitamin deficiency caused by the celiac disease (I was deficient in vitamin D, iron and b vitamins).  I have been taking 4000 IU of vitamin D daily and think this may be what has caused this.  Whatever it is I am very happy!!!  This is only a change I can see.  I am sure there must be other positive changes I cannot see.
I'm in my late 20's and have started seeing a couple white hair growing here and there. Kind of normal for my age. It looks funny so I pull them if I see one then I'm fine for another few months. The other day I pulled one, and to my surprise, it was brown at the root and faded into white at the tip, meaning that it had been white before and came back to its normal color! I can tell you that even though there was another 100,000 brown hair on my head, I regretted pulling this "regenerated one". My explanation is that this temporary white coloring is induced by stress and lack of sleep (which are very volatile and common in my job on Wall Street). I saw my first "burst" (i.e. 4 or 5) white hair at the same time shortly after a very intense month of on-campus recruiting and interviewing my senior year of college (eating junk fingerfood, not sleeping, and being stressed out). This verifies the stress induction phenomenon. They most likely came back to brown as I only saw new white hair over the past year or so (5 years later). Bottom line: If stressed induced, and if stress is followed by rest shortly after, the hair folicule can regenerate its original color. Well, at least it's what I'd like to believe!
The same with me! I am just 25, but I had a couple of very stressful months, after which my life came back to normal again. Recently I pulled out a short hair - half white half brown. Assuming hair grows 1 cm per month, the grey part dates back exactly to those two months when I was stressed, but then 2 cm later the hair turned brown - time when I relaxed. I really think the stress was the reason! I was really freaking out getting grey hair in my 25s coz that's too early, but now I see how to avoid it! Sleep, exercise and don't worry about things! :)
I have been growing some white hair since in my 20's when I started dying it it's natural color of almost black. I am 70 and have been dying it various colors since I turned 40. Everyone thinks I am younger because it gives me a solfter look. I even had some strays in my eyebrows. Now the eyebrows are all growing in black and my white roots are turning dark. This is a miracle to me, I would love to stop dying my hair. I was about to color it when I discovered this. I think I will let it go and see what happens.
Basically, I have noi stress in my life since I no longer work. I take plenty of suppliments.
I am 42, I got gray hair at 14! I  have had to die my hair since then. I have been every color, brown, black, red, blonde etc. about 2 weeks ago I noticed that my gray regrowth is now blonde! I was a blonde when I was a toddler. I am shocked. My oldest daughter even noticed. My hair was WHITE not gray. I currently die my hair an auburn. I have done nothing different. I am going through an extremely stressful time right now-possibly the worst 4 months of my entire life so this is a nice surprise.
I am 39 and I have a few gray strands here and there. I just noticed one hair that is gray at the end, but brown the rest of the way up to my scalp! I have never seen anything like it before, but from reading these comments, it seems to be normal. About 3 months ago, I started exercising a LOT more than I had been before. I wonder if that played a part in this.
I am almost 60, and I and my husband have noticed my grey hair turning dark brown. It's fascinating to watch as I get new hairs popping up brown. I started going grey when I was very young, my parents used to drink alot and they fought all the time and I was beaten by them both. A lot of stress.
I take fish oil everyday, and calcium, only half of what the bottle says. I eat more than 5 servings of fresh fruits and vegetables every day. I look for the sunshine in everything and thank God for my life.
I too am finding that my very white hair (totally white for about 10 years) is beginning to turn brown. It has been turning for about 6 months, but more so over the last 2 months.  I was noticing it and then people in my office began to notice it as well.  I have become the topic of much conversation.  Causes?  I have a very stressful job, I take Vitamin D every day, I take fish oil every day.  I don't know if these supplements have anything to do with it.  Maybe it is hormonal?  I am 56 years old.  If anyone has a good answer I would love to hear it.  I was told that I should see a Dermatologist about it.
I have had white hair for at least 10 years and in the past week to ten days my hair is turning a very light blonde.  It is a lovely color and it is not just in patches it is the entire head.  I am on very few meds and nothing that you would attribute to hair color change.

Personally, I like the white better and would love to know what is going on.  I am under a fair bit of stress but the only time I have heard of stress turning hair a different color is for the hair to go grey with stress.

This is weird and would love to know he cause
It's happened to me too.  I'm 49 and fairly gray, having begun the process in my 20s.  But over the last year I've occasionally found, on my sleeve or the floor, hairs that were gray at the tips but blondish-brown (my childhood color) closer to the root.  It's never a gradual color change, always a clear demarcation, like dye grow-out.  My hair has been changing texture too.  It went from my youthful wavy to outright curly in my 40s, and now I'm going Klingon-style frizzy, maybe heading toward straight/wavy again.  I've had significant health problems over the last decade and went on disability a year and a half ago.  Being on disability has definitely reduced the stress levels a bit.  Hmmmmm.......