Had an x-ray, and now believe I am pregant, are there any effects?

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Could you please help. I had an x-ray on my knee last week, i was asked if i was preganant and because my husband and i are trying for a baby, i under went a pregnancy test.. it was negative, therefore I had the x-ray. I now believe that i may be pregnant, as my period is late and im usually to the day. I am also experiencing nausea and tiredness. Could you please let me know what the effects of an x-ray are on a fetus? If any? And what should i do?
Avatar n tn
You can't do anything about the x-ray now.  What's done is done.  But take a home pregnancy test to find out if you are indeed pg.  You might be worrying for nothing - the worrying might be making your period late.  Take a test!
Avatar n tn
Thank you so much, I will definetly get a pregnancy test done. I really appreciate all your help. Thank you again!!
Avatar n tn
As the x-ray was on your knee and not your torso I shouldnt think it will do any harm to the baby if you are pregnant.  I had dental exrays when I was 8 weeks pregnant with my first son and he was fine.  I think its probably better in an ideal world not to have x rays when pregnant but hey dont worry about it.  We dont live in an ideal world.  Im sure everything will be fine  Good luck!
Hi Mrs._J.,
I've been an x-ray technologist for a long time. Ideally, when we take x-rays of a pregnant lady we like to use a lead apron to cover her up. But there have been many time when x-rays were taken of women when they didn't know they were pregnant. And then there are many times when I've had to take x-rays of women who are pregnant but are sick or hurt and need the x-rays. Don't worry though, a knee x-ray is minimal radiation and to tell you the truth, the radiation exposure worries are pretty overexaggerated to begin with. So don't worry about it okay! :)
Congratulations if you are expecting!!
Kelly
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals