Had my Mirena IUD removed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Viewing 401-476 comments:
Had my iud removed 4 days ago.  It was a little uncomfortable but nothing like when it was inserted.  Now I am looking forward to clearer skin, better moods and getting rid of my uncontrollable hunger:)
I had my mirena inserted 5 years ago. I had mild cramps for 3-4 months and then my periods stopped altogether. Prior to insertion, I hit the age of 42 and all of a sudden my periods became agonising and very heavy from being scant with little pain all my life.

The Mirena was a godsend especailly with the kind of work I do.
I never noticed much weight gain. If I did gain weight its cos I love Cake!! My eyebrows did fall out however but I do have a lot of hair on my head. Did have mood swings and regualr headaches  but I was just getting out of a very violent and traumatic marriage.
After 5 years, my periods have restarted so I suppose it is at the end of its life. They are not as heavy and are irregular and blood tests show that I have not yet started the menopause (at 49 years)although I have had occasional night sweats and have flushes too. I had the Mirena removed today with a view to replacement but the Dr couldnt get a new one in because I have fibroids. It will be interesting what the next few months bring.
If the Mirena caused these side effects, for me it really was worth it.
hey im only 18 I got the iud after having my first bby young I didnt wanna get pregnant again im not even done with school so I thought it was best but ive been getting bad sharp pains in my stomach to where I cant take them then I heared some girls cant get prego after having the iud is that true im young n want more kids in future plz very scared should I remove it
I had an IUD placed four years ago. I got it removed 3 and 1/2 weeks ago. I THOUGHT truly for four years that the IUD was the best thing ever and I was ready to get a new one.......

Exactly 14 days after removal, I went crazy. Anxiety was the most major problem. I was also very irritable and impatient. I starting getting depressed, tired, and would freak our at almost anything. I went from the most outgoing fun loving person to a person that hids and is scared.

It is all because of hormone imbalance. My body has been receiving hormones for four years and when you totally remove that your body is in shock and has to figure out how to produce these hormones on its own again. Once your body gets on a normal schedule, you will be fine.

The four years I had an IUD is not worth what I am going through. I feel like I need to be watched at all times.

If you dont care about the post effects and think 5 years will be worth it, get it, but unless youre going though it, you do not know how horrible this is. I truly to my heart feel for every woman going through this. Stay strong, you will make it through. Do anything and everything that can lift your moods while dealing with this.
I had have mirena for 2 years and non stop itching ever since!!! I have had series of prescription pills to treat it and nothing seems to work!! I am going to get this lousy thing out soon!!!
I am on my third Mirena. I had one inserted in 2000, then removed in 2005. I got pregnant one month after removal and gave birth to my daughter in 2006.then I had another one inserted. Now 5 years has past and I recently had another inserted. I have had no problems.
I have had marina IUD since March 2010. I am currently getting it removed this upcoming frieday. I have loved the IUD, extremely light periods, no weight gain, and no pills!! yay! It has been a good experience for me. I have noticed my sex drive has been down ever since I had my son, Sept. 2009. So I am not sure if it was giving birth and trying to recuperate or I was just tired then the marina lowered my drive? Not sure, but the past few months my drive has been way up (on and off), so I suppose it was maybe due to my own hormones? Anyways, have no complaints about Marina. I would recommend it to anyone who forgets to take pills, like I did!!  
Sorry to hear all the bad reactions!! Everyone is different!
I had the mirena fitted yesterday, but wish i had read these comments first.  I had asked my gp and surgeon if there were any side effects and was basically told no.  I asked these questions as I had made a concious decsion all my life not to take the pill as i had tried it once for two weeks and just gave me headaches.  After reading this today i feel let down, that I was not told by proffessionals when I had asked what side effects there may be. I already suffer with palpataions, bouts of hypertension.  I do not want to put myself at any more risk of these getting worse.  I really want tp have the mirena removed now, i know i have only had it in a day but i know I have made the wrong decision!  I have rang my gp but cannot get an appointment have to ring back next week.  I feel like taking it out myself!! does anyone know if family planning can remove the deivice.  I have since yesterday had a constant headache and i dont feel comfortable down below its like i can feel the mirena in there  i am very worried!!
Well its 2 days since I had the Mirena removed and I am bleeding heavily. It seems to come in cycles. No loss all day and come 4-5 pm, it just pours out and i mean pours. Had an 'accident' at work and had to come home early. I come from a medical background and have researched and researched and found NO TRIALS carried out on Post removal Mirena women.

I loved having the Mirena and I dont understand why the  loss is so heavy. It is not because I havent had a period for 5 years as the Mirena limits the amount of endometrium (lining of the uterus) laid down, leaving it too thin for a normal period.
All I can think of is that the sudden loss of progesterone, no matter how small causes withdrawl (withdrawal) bleeding and of course there will be a bit of trauma.

Will continue to post. I hope it stops soon otherwise I will be undergoing a hysteroscopy to put another in and I hope its as good as the first. !! Cant stand this pain again!!
Ok now on day 6. Hadnt had any loss all weekend then without warning I lost about 20 mls...sunday night Lucky I got to the loo. Ths continued all night then had stopped again by morning. Spoke to my Dr today and he has said that my fibroids are bleeding and I will not know when this is going to happen. It just will!!! Great. I have made an appt with a gynaecologist and will see what he says. I dont want another Mirena as I never realised that it was uncomfortable until I had it out!! Looks like I might be heading for a Hysterectomy. Not happy.
I had my Mirena put in two years ago. I am 44 now and have never had children. Insertion was painful and I was in pain (heavy cramping, not a lot of blood) for about two weeks, to the point where I was wondering what I had done to myself and thought about having it taken it. My OB explained it would take a while for it to adjust since I had never had children my uterus had never been stretched... makes sense. The pain went away and I have had no problems with it, I had one short, easy period in January 2010 and that was my last one. My breasts are unusually tender for about 2 1/2-3 weeks of every month and a half a cup size bigger, but I'm small breasted so I consider that a benefit! Then suddenly in these last two or three months things have been changing. I get random cramping, but no period. I started to get this pain in my side, and it turns out I have a large cyst on my left ovary. I am really alarmed about it after the ultrasound, but my doctor does seem in any rush to see me or talk to me, telling my to go for another ultrasound in 6 weeks and hopefully the cyst and it's fluid will absorb back into my body. WTH? I am in PAIN. The pain is similiar to my old ovulation cramps, but it never goes away and radiates through my back and down my thigh, as well as being difficult to do any sports or working out. She's been my OB for 8 years and been terrific. I guess I just need to trust she knows what she is talking about. I don't know if my Mirea has anything to do with this, it wouldn't make sense that after nearly 2 years all of this suddenly started. Wish me luck!
I want to tell my story with mirena because it may help someone out there:

I am 26 years old and was diagnosed with endometriosis when I was 18 which has caused me more pain than I can even explain.  Under the advisement of my doctors, I tried many different types of birth control to curb the severe cramping pains I felt throughout the month (so bad that I had ended up in the emergency room on many different occasions).  I understand that the hormone levels in some forms of BC can help some women with endometriosis symptoms, but for me, they only made it worse.  It was like the hormones only multiplied my issues.  So, I had gone to condoms for many years until about 5 months ago when I decided to get the Mirena IUD with the hope that it would be a successful contraceptive and also, maybe, lessen my pain from the endo.  

Ok, so I got the implant (which was unbelievably painful during insertion), took the day off from work and just relaxed with ibuprofen and a heating pad.  The doctors tell you that pain and spotting is normal for some time following the implantation procedure and, for me, that was correct.  I had normal and sometimes worse than normal pains for the first 2 months - almost everyday.  I also had bleeding literally every day for about 2 months (thank goodness I have an unbelievably understanding boyfriend).  I was definitely thinking about having the IUD removed but since the doctors kept saying that this was normal for the first few months, we (the boyfriend and I) decided to keep truckin' for a while longer to see what happened).  

It has now been about 5 months I think and I can tell you that thing have turned completely around for me.  I am no longer bleeding on a daily basis, I am no longer cramping on a daily basis, my periods are starting to regulate again and when I do have a period (still seems to be about every month or so) it is very light, only lasts for about 3 days and I have minimal cramps which only require me to take ibuprofen about once a day for two days.  For me, this is amazing as my periods used to be full blown and last for about 8 days and I would be cramping for around 10 days to the point where I would have to take 3-4 ibuprofen every 3 hours (which is NOT healthy).  

Please understand that I am NOT trying to discredit others' experiences with Mirena by posting this.  But, there are women out there that are looking to this forum as their strongest form of advice regarding whether or not they should get the implant and I want those women to know that there are many different outcomes that are possible for each of us when it comes to these types of things.  Some women will have adverse reactions, some will only have adverse reactions for a few months (like me), and some will not have adverse reactions at all.  What you need to remember is that posts in forums are usually skewed.  For example, if you had a great experience with the customer service department of a company you use, would you get online to post about your wonderful experience or would you just keep on going through your day?   Now, if you had a terribly upsetting experience with that company, how much more likely would you be to post on a forum somewhere about your bad experience?  I'm not saying that forums are bad in that sense - but I hope that everyone who is reading this forum is keeping in mind that it may be a little lopsided when it comes to outcomes.

That being said, Mirena may not be right for you and if you are really that concerned about getting it then maybe you need to reevaluate your reasons.  However, if you can keep your mind from running rampant with the upsetting stories heard here (and I really am sorry that each of you have gone through what you have) and keep a level and EDUCATED head about it, then you can find the right answer for you.  It IS something that can be taken out, though - for me - it was a matter of pushing through and realizing that another week or two of pain (which was not much different than what I was feeling before) may lead to quite a lot of relief.  Just pay attention to your body, don't get convinced of side effects that may not actually be there, and make the decisions based on you and you alone.  

I know that was long and maybe irritating for some of you.  That was not my intent.  I hope all of you are well (or are on your way to recovery).  
Hey All, I posted back on Aug 08, 2011 about my period being absent after IUD removal. I had my IUD removed July 20th, 2011. Still as of today September 6, 2011, no period has come.. I have taken several HPT and I have been to the doctor a week ago to do a blood test for pregnancy. It came back negative. I talked with my OB/GYN and she stated that she has never seen this happen from an IUD but a possibility could be that my uterus has thinned out and is not thicken back up. So she tells me to wait another 2 weeks ( including no sex) and come back to get retested and if then I am not pregnant, she will start me on BC pills to help thicken my lining of my uterus up so it can help create my menstrual. She told me if or when I start the BC pills and I do not get a menstrual, they will run more test on me to see what is going on, also an ultrasound. She says that she has seen this when people take the Depo shot but not IUD...I do not have any pregnancy symptoms. I feel regular besides my stomach being bloated and people asking me am I pregnant. I just took it as I need to lose weight but it does have me concern... I try to keep posting so in case someone comes across this problem or has had this problem, we can help each other...Not sure what is going on with my body nor hormones after this IUD has come out. I understand everyone body is different, so if anyone have any information on this please help...thanks
I need help!!! I have severe endometriosis and have had 3 surgeries, and have been on Dep and Zolodex in the past and it was aweful! I have had a lot of pain with spotting and heavy long periods, and my OB suggested the IUD Mirena, and at the same time, 1 injection of Lupron.  I told myself I would never go on hormones again, because of the side effects, and here I am again! I am a 42 year old single lady who does not plan on having children at this time of my life, and thought about having a hysterectomy.  I have read your reviews, which I truly appreciate, but am having such a difficult time trying to decide to have it, and my appointment is in 2 weeks!  Maybe it should be better to suck up the period pain and cramping, until I can reach menopause? Help?
I got the mirena Jan. 2011 & absolutely loved it until now. I found out today that it gave me a bactirial infection & started causing problems so I had it removed today. We will see how things change from here. I've never had an infection like that or a uti or yeast infection or foul odor in the 24 yrs of my life. It all started 2 months ago so I knew it had to be because my body was fighting off the iud. Now that its been removed & it hasn't even been 24hrs & the odor is completely gone. I suffer from depression since I was 15 & I noticed while on the mirena it only got worse & my medicines began to no longer work. I hope things go back to normal for me & I wish everyone that is having problems with it the best of luck. If you notice something that is not normal for you get it checked out because it can cause cervical cancer that's what my doctor explained to me today & recommended it be removed today while I was there. Good luck to you all.
In reply to Dnique16:

I am 25 and have never had a child. I too got the mirena removed almost a month ago after having it placed shortly over a year ago.

MIRENA was the worst decision I've ever made.

I seem to be pretty immune to ANY side effects of ANYTHING, and thought the Mirena would be the same thing, so silly me, I didn't do my research. I've spent every night researching this thing since removal...it's been one ugly divorce between Mirena and I.

SIDE EFFECTS I EXPERIENCED:

..Should tell you first, I began following a pretty healthy diet and excercise regimen after a couple months of having the IUD inserted which I currently still follow.

***Months 0-3 : Constant bleeding/spotting/clotting

***Month 3-Removal :

Less sex drive

Literally lost OVER HALF my head of hair (have had to purchase recurring drain-o for the tub which I've never had to do)

Sugar cravings

Prone to vaginal infections

Lump in lower abdomen- strongly felt when laying down

No periods (light spotting here and there)

***Months 3-Present (one month AFTER removal) ..where it really gets good

All side effects listed above plus:

Progressively worsening CYCSTIC acne that began on my chin and jawline, which in the last four months has progressed to ALL over my cheeks. (Not a previous sufferer of anything more than moderate acne, let alone CYSTIC)

Months 8-12

All side effects listed above but NOW with tiredness, lethargy, and lack of motivation.

After removal (one month ago)

STILL NO PERIOD

Bouts of lethargy come and go

CYSTIC acne is now WORSE on my face

Bloating, increased appetite, breast tenderness, yeast infections, fatigue and dizziness (worse the past week), and lately I just feel depressed and SOOO irritable!  

During the Mirena I really didn't feel up and down emotionally but I was and have been also at a very good place in my life, the very best so how could it be?

Now, I have horrible and painful acne that has just ruined my great skin and confidence at frequent social gatherings. I was treated on 100mg of doxcycline twice a day for about 3 weeks but I ran out and am now going to see a doctor for accutane.

I just got a breast augmentation and should be stoked on my new look, instead Im ANGRY, pissed off and depressed because my face looks nothing like it did before. I am in the happiest place in my life with an amazing man and the Mirena has RUINED me life!

Will I ever be able to have kids now? Is this ever going to go away? Will I ever get my hair back, or my nice skin, or .. how about MYSELF back?

If I could sue that makers of Mirena I would.... I'm a pretty laid back person but this has been the absolute worst nightmare!

:(

Jade

I had my IUD for about 5 years. I loved it, until now. I had it taken out approx. 2 weeks ago and I have been nauseous ever since! I have been sick to my stomach and the thought of food makes me want to vomit. I don't enjoy ANYTHING anymore! Not only do I feel sick, but I'm constantly tired and don't feel like doing anything. This is NOT me! Also, throughout the years that I had the Mirena, I had to be put on Celexa (an anti-depressant), had severe headaches, lower back pain on occassions, and blurry vision. I just thought I was falling apart until now. Since I had it removed, all of those symptoms went away. Now, I just have all of the new symptoms! I'm about to go crazy! -- For all of you have experienced the "Mirena Crash;" How long does this last? Is there anything that the doctors can do? Please help! I'm miserable!!!
omg!!!!! This is really freakin me out. I wish i had of did some research befor gettin my iud inserted. I have had mines for two years and now i'm getting it remove in three days b/c of side-effects. When i went to the dr. about two months ago they couldn't find my string so i had to get an ult-sound n they said it was still there but when the dr. tried to get the string he couldn't get it so i got to take medicine so i can bare their pain which alot of peoples say is painful. But i wonder what all will they have to do and how long will it take. I pray i will be alright b/c i got my baby boy b-day party plan for this weeken.
Mirena gave me cystic acne too. Don't take accutane as it is linked to suicide and ***** up your brain. I took the doxy as well as a steroid called spironolactone, with differin to spot treat. I saw massive improvement with in 3 months and total clearness in 6 months. I am now down to the spiro every other day and use differin maybe once a week to keep the oil down. I know how terrible yo feel and strongly suggest the regimen my dermo gave me.
I had my Mirena put in over six years ago- on # 2 now. Like everyone else the doc denied a link between Mirena and weight gain when I brought it up a few years in.  I had lost the baby weight with in six months post birth and with in a year after insertion I gained over 30 pounds to weigh as much as I did when I was 9 months pregnant! During the first few years I developed cystic acne which I now control with a steroid oral med and one topical- which took a year to get under control. I am ALWAYS tired and sometimes have headaches for days that feel as if a vice is gripping my temples and squeezing. I eat healthy and exercise, but can not loose weight in my butt, thighs and middle! I have toned arms and legs with a crazy muffin top and booty- I feel like I'm pregnant but I'm not.
I'm so glad to read all these stories so I know I'm not crazy. I am hoping to remove my IUD soon, loose some weight and get my energy back. I'm not excited to have a period again but it'll be worth it. I'm done messing with my hormones, no more BC for me- time for hubby to get snipped! I'm only 29 but feel like a blob- I want to get my mojo back to enjoy my 30s as the sexy goddess I used to be!
I recently had my Mirania IUD on Sept 12!  I had it put in Oct of 2008 after the birth of my son in Aug of '08.  I gained all my baby weight back, tired all the time, and felt depressed.  I became withdrawn and didn't care.  Had no clue it could be the IUD just thought it was because I was a first time mom.  Well I started reading up on the IUD and found that other women were experiencing some of the same things.  I told my dr I wanted it out and she put me on Seasonique while I still had the IUD as I had to make an appt with the OB/GYN.  I figured that after the IUD was removed I would feel better...well guess what...I'm tired all the time.  I could stay in bed all day if I could! On a good side, I have been losing a pound a day since it has been removed!

Please anyone who has had their IUD removed, how long does it take to feel like yourself again?
honestly its the worst thing i believe u can get i have had mine since oct 2010, i havent felt like myself since jan! its terrible, o and when u have it in and u have the side effects just ask to get it taken out! i have told my doctor about all the migranes (migraines), mood swings, bloating, period weird, cramping, and just totaling not being urself they will tell u after 3 months in that it isnt the iud which is CRAP! i would rather be carring another almost 11 lb kid again instead of this! thank u, needed to let that out everyone else doesnt understand it!
I feel the same way! I contacted my doctor and she said that it could take a week or up to a year. It really just depends on your body. She said that her neice was like this for about 3 months! I can't handle that long! I'm about to go crazy and I've only been like this for 2 weeks!
hi girls
I had the copper coil for years and never had a problem with it.When it was time for it to be taken out my doc suggestes i have the mirena coil.It was extremely painful when it was inserted and i to have had many side effects but still have it in 3 years on. I had always been very slim but since the mirena i have gained 4 stone in weight and find it impossible to shift,I get boils and my skin is in a bad way.I also feel like i need to pee constantly but when i go to the toilet i cannot pee!!!! I am at the docs tomorrow to have it taken out because although ive never had no pain with it,ive had enough of the other side effects.
The only thing i can say in defense of the merina and i suppose everybody is different but it stedied my moods and stopped my periods.I suffer depression and since having tht IUD,im feeling so much better.I think thts the rason i persevered with it for so long.It was worth putting up with the other side effects just to feel better.
Please dnt be disheartened or scared and think u are going crazy...Once your hormone levels get back to normal after having the IUD taken out u will feel great again,it just might take a while!!!!!
hi girls
Omg I have had the mirena for a year & its the worst thing ever constant bacterial infections odor fatigue acne & the list could go on & on Im having it removed in two days & Im so scared of what those side effects will be
I find this amazing because when i thought about BC after having my son June 2011, all i found and read were how great it was for those who did get on it. I never looked at the bads. I got the iud inserted 8/22? today is one month! I've been bleeding for 3 weeks, spotting and cramping. I mean they're bright red. even the spotting is still bright red. I even think thats a major concern right? maybe it's normal. I have been a person who has had a period for the whole week and always had no cramping. Right now, i'm debating if I want to go back to my normal or stick this out and keep spotting, cramping, and losing more hair. Those are my symptoms. My husband always wants some from me, but I'm always spotting now. My sex drive has improved from when I was pregnant. I had no drive when I was pregnant. After reading majority of everyone's stories, I'm most afraid of it getting lost in the abdomen. I mean what do you do that would cause it to move? Every time I shower, i always check for the string. Just this past week or more, my head was itching like crazy. I seriously started thinking I had lice, but I never use anyone's brushes or hair stuff. I wash my hair every two days unless otherwise. I started thinking while my tons of hair coming out in the shower while pulling it out that the mirena is causing this. My first pregnancy, i didn't go on any BC. but after i did shed tons of hair. after this pregnancy, i did not even lose a strand of hair and I loved it!! after this mirena, I am definitely having a ton of hair loss and tons of hair on the floor to clean. 8-< I feel very normal except my hair and the continuous period. i know my husband would probably get mad at me about this and tell me to get it removed. im in debate w/ myself to call the dr n make an appt. good luck to all.
I have had the mirena since Nov 2008.  The first 6 months were hell.  I had non stop bleeding and clots- when I called the doc, I was told to give it a few more months as my body needed to adjust.  I chose the mirena because I had had a bad experience with depo and managed to get pregnant TWICE while religiously using the pill.   I also got sucked into the no more period hype.  Pre-Mirena, my cycles were at about every 32 days, and had a duration of 5-7 days.  After the first six months with the mirena- when the bleeding never stopped- my body did level out.  I eventually did skip a period or two, but by late 2010 I was suffering from 10-20 day periods.  Early in 2011 I was put on a very good diet by my doc following a severe bout of pneumonia, and for 5 months I did not eat more than 1500 calories a day, and I was working out at least 1 hour a day- some days 2 or 3 hours.  I had a "buddy" and a personal trainer.  In 5 months, I lost 8 pounds. By the end of this the cramping and the duration of the periods we driving me insane.  Pre-Mirena I had MAYBE a day or 2 of premenstrual cramping, but pretty mild.  Now I have at least 5 days of cramping before, excruciating cramping during, and heavy cramping for 3-7 days after.  Pre-Mirena I had never had a headache- unless I was very ill.  These days I eat Excedrin like there's a prize inside. The last 6 months have been a downward spiral as far as my mood goes.  I believe that I am very close to reaching clinical depression. I've seen others use the term foggy, or going through a fog- I feel you guys.  I never seem to get enough sleep: not even 12 hours is enough to perk me up.  I am extremely irritable, and have a harder and harder time focusing at work.  Pre-Mirena my husband and I enjoyed intimate time like teen aged bunny rabbits with free Viagra.  The last three years have been the driest time in my sexual history. Truthfully, I'd rather have a taco then have sex. I'm actually not worried about the mirena "crash" as I feel it honestly couldn't be worse that what I have now.  Pregnancy?  Well, I would welcome another little one if the good Lord sees  fit to trust me with another gift.  Either way will be easier than the road I'm on now.  I have begged 4 different doctors, and THANKFULLY someone crammed me into their schedule for Oct. 4th.  Counting it down- 12 days till I get my life back.  
By putting up a freely comment,its just telling expression ur options ours. About Mirena ,its causing and effects what to look out for . I'm glad i l on this site ,because somethng was wrong with me and i look it up.
hi all i have the marina in about 19 months now and had no problems up untll 4 months ago.. im suffering with bad anxiety a bit of depression and panic attacks also its my worst nightmare never ever did i suffer with these things before in my life i am 33... i have 2 kids could the coil be doing this plez help
Hi everybody i had my marena for 7 years until about two year ago i started to have problems with weight gain,  craving sweets, no sex drive, mood swings,
and a large cyst is on my jaw line my feet and my heels swells, sometimes i can't even walk, the more i try to diet the more weight i gain. i never had any of these problems until i had the marena inserted. i should have kept my cu7 iud but my dr. said this was the next best thing in birth control. now they cant find the string. the obgyn told me that i may need surgery to have it removed. with all that said i dont have any health insurance, i been layed off work for two years still cant find a job. the obgyn said that she cant do the procedure in her office which i know this is going to cost me a arm and a leg. if i could sue the maker of this device i would i hope a lawyer read these comments because all of us has recieved a raw deal if could take birth control pills i will but they may me very sick to my stomach. i'm very depressed, i try to to walk or excerise to help with the weight gain but my heels and feet will not cooperate with me. i tired dont know what to do i need help because this is the biggest mistake i ever made in my life. i'm a mother of three, grandmother of three and my husband is catching hell with these mood swings i don't know how long before he get sick and tired of this!! if the shoe was on the other foot i would leave and never look back because no  one should have to put it with this ****!!!.  the side effects are nothing like the dr. expain to me. my periods are very heavy now i wear two super size pads within two hrs i need to change them my period normally last for three days since i got this device my life is a living nightmare , now it last two weeks  and a day.i need help ASAP oh don't let me forget the tenderness in my breast.     Rosie
Hmm I don't think pp last for a year. Poster stated that is how ling she had it in.I have had the same exact issues and am thinking of getting it out soon. I guess i never really connected all of my problems with mirena but the more i read about others problems the more it sounds like it is. At first I thought it was pp and took meds for a couple of months but they didn't help so i went off of them. I have had it for two and a half years now soni am pretty sure that it is not caused by pp.
I have had awful crawly tickly skin that is sore to scratch, it is predominantly on my face and scalp but can be anywhere on my body. I'm not sure if it's from the mirena coil but it seems to have started when I had the mirena coil fitted.

Even the insides of my nose tickles!  it drivesme mad but ultimately I just want to be sure it is a side effect of the coil.
I have had the Mirena for 8 months and I am not a big fan. I just find it too hard to believe that my weight gain, extreme hair loss (nearly 50% of my already naturally fine hair) depression and fatitgue that all began within a month after having the Mirena inserted are coincidental. I have always been fit and active and eat a healthy organic diet and have not changed eating or exercise habits since having the IUD and have never felt worse. The most noticable thing for me has been the extreme hair loss. I have literally half the ponytail I used to have. Friends and family have even noticed and been concerned. My fiance has noticed a severe change in my personality as well, I ususally am the life of the party and for the last 6 months I have been miserable to be around. I am glad for anyone who cannot attribute their physical changes to the Mirena but I know something has been different since I had mine inserted. I am very disappointed because this was very expensive but I justified it because I figured I wouldn't have to worry about BC for 5 years but I am not leaving this thing in my body. I am having it removed a week from today.  
It can take a few months before you have a regular period and did they ever tell you if you had a bacterial infection?
I have actually had my Mirena IUD in for a little longer than I should, but I have nothing but positive things to say about it. When I first got the IUD I did bleed like I  just had a baby. Six weeks of heavy bleeding and then one day it stopped and I havent had a period since, maybe a few spots here and there but nothing major. The only complaint I have is that I have to have it removed. Im actually going to look in to having another one inserted. I did try bc pills first they made me gain weight and I would forget to take them and then my period would be irregular or I would start out of nowhere and I got pregnant. The Mirena for me was great I didnt have periods, bad side effects, I never lost any hair and I have gained a few lbs over the years but I cant blame that on my IUD, it's cause I like to eat.
Prior to the Mirena, I'd always been on the contraceptive pill, however, my PMT was slowly getting worse, prob suffering for around 20 days out of the mths. So, Mirena was the answer according to the GP, it will cure the PMT she told me. So had it inserted (Dec 2007), girls I fainted at the pain, not a usual occurence with me!. Anyway, went through all the usual after having it inserted, but after 3-4mths, the GP was right, my PMT vanished!!!! as did my periods!!! I was so pleased. Short lived.
Aprrox 7mths after having it inserted I had a terrible bout of depression, not really like me, but put it down to a few life changes, took the pills, go on with it. About another 12mths later, yet again, another bout of depression, this time, nothing I could link it to, started to think I was just a depressing person. This re-occured again, 12 mths later. so 3 bouts of quite severe depression, in less than 3 yrs.
Aside from that, I have had Bacterial Vaginosis approx 8 times over the last 3.5yrs.
I have experienced very painful sexual intercourse, and eventually, lost my sex drive all together, but of course, blamed my depression for this!.
I became lethargic, and noticed a considerable dip in my strength, for exp opening a new jam jar, was impossible, and despite going keep fit 4-5 times a wk, I was actually becoming less fit, rather than more, again, wondered if it was depression/mood etc.
I have also experienced severe insomina, in bouts over the last 3.5yrs, and then the opposite, just couldn't get enough sleep etc. Again, linked it to depression.
The ONLY thing I've not exp is weight gain.......

So, I got married this yr, Aug, after the wedding, I crashed yet again, and this time was determind to sort out this so called "depression" I had......funnily enough I had been reading Denise Welsh auto biography, the LAST chapter, she talks about having the mirena coil, and ladies had she been through it. Well suddenly the light bulb came on, and I started to research it, only to be truly horrified and feel like I was reading my life story over and over again!!!!. I had NEVER EVER thought it was the Mirena!!!.

So had it removed 5wks ago, since then, things have not got better, they have got worse, as you've all described, no period, but EXTREME mood swings, and my very new marriage, is currently struggling as a result. The doctor has told me to wait approx 3-4mths, he hopes by then my body will kick start itself and I should start to feel better.

So girls I'm crossing fingers, toes, arms and legs and hoping that this awful withdrawal goes away, and I can finally find me!, because I've been missing for around 3.5yrs!!!.

If I could 'sue' Mirena, I would!!!!!.

Don't have it girls.....find an alternative, there are plenty out there!!.

x
i had my mirena removed about 2 months ago and still havent had a period..but when i was on the birth control i bled the whole time.i took a preg test 2weeks ago and it was neg...does anyone know why my period hasnt came or has this happened to anyone?
I am on the same boat as you! I took my IUD out to start trying for our second child in October 2011 and I have not had a period yet... I haven't gone to the OB yet.... But what did happen to you? Can you give me an update?
I had it and Omg talk about weight gain ..had the same symthoms as wisegirl...it was a miserable time of my life.ugggg hate it
I had my mirena put in 12/31/08 and i never had any problems with it. But i had my iud taken out 12/1/11. I spotted twice in one month and they only lasted for a few hours. I've been feeling nauseated, tired, and very emotional lately.  I've taken some pregnancy tests but they've all been negative. What does this mean?
Well It has been a bit of a horrible year for me but so looking forward to this year. As I have said previously, had mirena removed and sad to see it go as it stopped my excrutiatingly heave painful periods for 5 years but then the pain started last feb so had investigations done and lo and behold there was a large fibroid in my uterus and the Mirena was actually irritating it and causing excessive bleeding.
I am now 4 weeks post vaginal hysterctomy and very glad I had that done. Have ahd very few complications and amd just grateful that I WILL NEVER have another period. WOOHOOO!!

I did have what I think may have been withdrawl (withdrawal) symptons from the mIrena although I didnt actually believe that removal would cause me withdrawl (withdrawal) effects. However, I no longer have headaches which usually occurred everyday, or buzzing in my ears which I had had for years. MMm food for thought. I wont be posting again.

A wee bit of advice: do your homework, what may be good for someone else may not suit you. Follow your gut instinct and look after your own health cos noone else will.
Hi 22momof2,

I had the some what the same issues...I had my mirena removed July, 2011 and I had a spot or 2 when it first day it was removed other than that, I had no period. I took PT after test..My doctor explained to me that my body was getting back to itself and it takes time after..Since January 6th, 2012- I am currently having my first menstrual since the mirena has been removed.. My doctor said that usually (most females) your body jumps back into having a menstrual within a few weeks but I didnt encounter that...It has been 6 months and several PTs (pregnancy test)...The way my Doc explained it was that the lining of my uterus had thinned out too much that my body was building itself back up and it took more than the normal time since it was completely thinned..Im having a normal cycle right now..not sure how long it will last but Im prepared for it.. I will say I enjoyed not having a period (I didnt have any either while on Mirena as well)...but my Doc told me that I wasnt ovulating because I didnt have a period and in order to ovulate, I must have a period but he did say your body can decide when it wants to ovulate at anytime and you could then get pregnant...I didnt understand that part but happy and relieved my body is back to normal ...Hope this was in some way helpful...Have a nice day!
Hello!
   I got my Mirena placed in June 2011.. It didn't hurt going in but I immediately experienced heavy bleeding that did not go away.  The doctors finally gave me some pills to take for 3 days that stopped my bleeding for about a week.  Then it started right back up.  I bled for 6 months straight (no spotting, but bleeding) with only a couple hours/days in between where it would lighten up or go away. Then return shortly after.  Since I had just had my baby 6 weeks before it was placed, I still had a lot of my baby weight to lose.. Easy enough right? NOPE NOT WITH MIRENA!! I am 5'7 and my normal weight  ranges from 150-160lbs.  After having my son I weighed about 180, had the Mirena placed about 6 weeks later and went home to start heavy dieting and vigorous workouts to drop the weight!  I wasn't able to lose anything!!! I did p90x daily along with a low cal healthy diet and my weight stayed between 176-180 NO MATTER WHAT I DID!! so I started search the Internet for answers because the only crap the doctors could tell me was "oh it can't be the Mirena!  There are very low hormones and it's isolated so the hormones will definitely not effect weight gain!" BULL CRAPPPPP.. Long story short I told the doctors to save their story for someone else gullible enough to believe it.. It might not have the same affect on everyone but to tell someone who is normally healthy and fit that all these symptoms can have nothing to do with the Mirena is just INSAIN!! especially when they start directly after the placement.. So I had it removed 3 days ago.. I have already dropped 7 POUNDS!! the bleeding is still heavy but it's to be expected till the hormones leave my body and I heal myself.. Woman, PLEASE do NOT listen to your obgyn when they tell you your symptoms have nothing to do with your birth control.. YOU KNOW YOUR BODIES BETTER THEN THESE DOCTORS DO! if you feel the negative symptoms outweigh the benefits on the Mirena, by all means do not let anyone try to convince to to keep it in and give it time.. I will continue working out, eating healthy, and staying away from the Mirena and get my body healthy and normal again..and I urge other woman that are having these same problems to do the same!  Good luck girls.. I'm sure in a couple years we will be seeing one of those commercials from the FDA saying "oooops sorry guys! We got it wrong!  And all your symptoms do have a direct connection to the Mirena.  Sorry about the inconvenience this might have caused"... Grrr just crazy!!!
How do you feel now..I am three months post and slowly but surely getting back to normal I think.  Like you...I loved it when I had it, but the crash has been horrible!!!
I am 43 and I had the Mirena in March 2010 due to terrible periods. After about a month l started to get boil type pimples on my face, which l thought was strange as l have never suffered with pimples before in my life. These pimples were so painful that my whole face as sore. They were huge, green and ugly. So l went to my GP and he prescribed antibiotics for the next 3 months. These meds did absolutely nothing. Every day l had a new visitor on my face.  Then l started to experience other strange things happening to my body, which turned my life upside down. Things like:
Heart palpitations
Unable to sleep
Boils on my shoulders
Walking in a slow pace with no energy
Sweats – Day and night
Not wanting to leave the house
Anxiety
Depression
Constant thrush
No appetite
Panic attacks – One really bad attack driving home from work, had to call an ambulance

So I went back to the GP as my life was going downhill rapidly and didn’t know why. I had a great life and there was no reason for all this to be happening to me. My wonderful GP tells me that l need to go on antidepressants and l need to go talk to someone (skeletons in the closet).....WHAT umm NO l don’t! So l go home and tell my hubby and he says all this started to happen after your Mirena procedure you should look it up. WHAMMO........
Went to a new GP and demanded to get it out ASAP. This GP told me that she takes the Mirena from women every week due to side effects.  REALLY, hmmm not surprised. I decided that when l get the Mirena out to get the ablation procedure as l don’t want a period and l would give that a go. Had the procedure 3 months ago now. Woke up with no bleeding at all and apart from cramps felt great. Still today l have not had a period. Still healing from the acne and l have a little anxiety but nowhere near as severe as what it was. My test results came back saying l had an infected uterus and that the Mirena was imbedded low and cased this. The GP gave me a script of antibiotics but l didn’t have to use it as l felt great.

I would never advise any women to get the Mirena, it’s just not worth the side effects.
Hi Tristan,
thank you for your post. I am also 26 with severe endometriosis.  I have been taking the pill for a couple of years without any break because if I get a period I always end up in emergency as well. I also experience 24/7 pelvic pain.  I had my Mirena inserted yesterday.  Since we seem to have similar health predicaments, I would like to ask you a few questions.
1.  Did you have pain during sex before Mirena?  If so did this pain stop after insertion?  (I can't have penetrative sex without extreme pain.)
2.  Did you gain any weight that you would associate directly with the IUD?
3.  My breast shrunk two cup sizes while on the pill.  Did you experience this?  If so did your breast fill out again?

I am totally terrified after reading about 300 posts.  You are the first to mention endometriosis.  Any insight you could offer me specifically concerning this would be so much appreciated.  Seriously.
Blaz
All these comments have made me realise it isn't just me with issues with Mirena.....I've had mine since October 2011, thought it would be the answer to the heavy periods I was getting when I had the copper coil. I've had 2 of these over 10 years and have 3 children.

Doctor had alot of trouble getting it in, and since I've always had a suspicion in the back of my mind that something wasn't right......

Firstly, my hair falling out, then the pimples on my chest, massive, sore breasts (I've had to buy new bras) and lastly the fluid retention! My stomach is massive :(

I play at a high level of sport, gym 5x week, hike and ride my bike daily and I'm just getting fatter and fatter!!! My trainer at the gym is in wonder at the weight gain and I haven't changed my eating habits, if anything I'm eating better as I have been watching the weight going higher and higher! I'm pretty in-tune with my body so this is a horrifying situation for me.

About 1 month after having it in, I was at the health shop buying iron supplements wondering why I was soooo tired all the time, snapping at anyone and generally just not myself. I'm now taking a 'stress and stamina' formula, and feeling a bit better but the size I've got is depressing me and I've decided to have it removed, I'd rather deal with the heavy periods than be the size I am now

I've made an appointment to have it removed in 3 days, I intend on doing a detox diet just to get rid of the fluid retention, and hopefully fit back into my clothes again.

Will keep you updated :)
I had my Mirena removed four months ago...No problems besides a terrible acne breakout, which I never had before...I'm 40yrs old. I had a   huge cyst removed from my forehead two yrs before having my IUD removed, I never made the connection with the Mirena, but after reading blogs....maybe thats the cause of it.
Hi Blaz,

I am 24 years old and have been suffering from Endo since I was about 17. Before Mirena I had excruciating pain with periods, stabbing pains, pain during and after intercourse, and was extremely tired all of the time, all associated with the endo. I am sensitive to estrogen, so my MD suggested Mirena.

I had the Mirena for just over 2 years. The first few months were rough, there was a lot of pain and cramping, not fun at all. After about 6 months I no longer got my period and was usually pain free. Sometimes I would get cramping around when my period should have been, but it was no where near as intense as before.

After about 1 year, I started to notice some unusual weight gain (about 8 lbs over the year). Normally this is not alarming, but on my figure (5'4", 130lbs starting out and very fit) it seemed like a lot. I started to exercise even more.

After about 1.5 years still working out, I started to feel very tired all of the time. I got a crazy amount of acne, deep cystic type on my face, jaw, chest, neck.. My breasts became very tender for weeks at a time. I had difficulty sleeping... and I started reading more about the mirena because I had a sneaky suspicion.
What I found really worried me.

I talked to another MD and they assured me it was all in my head, and I should try dieting and more exercise (they didnt believe me that I was already into a routine).   So, I listened, thinking maybe my body needed more.

At the 2 year mark I was up to 15 lbs gained, feeling horrible (most of the weight was around my middle.. I am normall an hourglass/pear shape and have NEVER gained weight around my middle). My skin was literally out of control and I was going crazy from being tired so often. I have had bacterial vaginosis non-stop, although the tests constantly come back negative, my MD is positive that is what it is, they have tested for literally everything else many times.

I found a new Obgyn and he was very helpful. He assured me I was not going crazy, it was not in my head. He said about 10% of women experience these kinds of symptoms, and that perhaps the Mirena is not a good fit for me.
He said that although the Mirena had effectively stopped my ovulation and periods, and thus lessened my pain, he agreed that the side effects were not helping me, and probably outweighed the pros.

He suggested that even though I have low tolerance for estrogen, I should try the estrogen based Nuva ring because it would put the hormones right where we need it. I have tried the Nuva ring before, and found it beneficial, but I learned that Endometriosis feeds off of estrogen. I asked him about this, and he said that although it is true, the Nuva ring if taken non-stop (no break for periods) would help to control the pain just as well. Because I do want kids in my early 30's he said that I should not worry too much about the fertility issue, he says worrying causes stress which is worse for the endo than anything.

Anyway, long story short, we removed the Mirena and started me on Nuva right away (this was almost 4 weeks ago). I feel great. The weight has not really budged yet, but I think as soon as the estrogen kicks in it should boost my metabolism. My face seems to be clearing up a little bit, but my back is still producing some cystic acne : (    I havent experienced any mood swings, and I got a period about a week after I had it removed (relatively painless and normal amount of bleeding).   My new Gyno prescribed me some vaginal vitamin c tablets to clear up any BV, and said they are safe to take long term if I continue to have any effects, They seem to really help, not sure at this point if I will need to continue them long term.

Anyway, whatever decision you make, please take the time to do the research. I never did, and I ended up suffering through 2 years of agony from the Mirena and lost a significant relationship over the weight gain and loss of sex drive (better off without him anyway right?).   If you do decide to try Mirena, please listen to your body, and don't write it off as "all in your head" despite what any doctor might tell you.

I hope this can help some other women struggling with the Endo / Mirena decision.

Ok i had mirena put in in november of 2009. I had it removed september of 2011. Its been almost eight months now but my periods were normal i would get them every 30 to 34 days after i would start. I am trying to get pregnant though i had some spotting two weeks before my period should of started. Took some pregnancy test still negative. In theory i think the chemical is still running its course which would probably be the reason for some symptoms. I think though that after having mirena removed the chemical in it that interfers with our progesterone gets thrown way off. So it may cause infertilty. I read on web md that taking b6 could help boost the levels of progesterone back to were itshould be but has to be takin once a day.i have been taking b6 for almost a week and still waiting on my period to come to see if i might be pregnant. But yeah mirena maybe should of been observed a little more cause they did not do the trial test here in the u.s, they did the test on other women over seas. i will keep posting any updates oranymore stuff i have found out. Just pray for some type of miracle.
hi ladies im 23 and i had my son march 12th 2011.... i have always had problems with birth control all types makes me nauseous and gives me headaches. i had my mirena put in 6 weeks after i had my son. everything seemed to be going smoothly then about 3 months after i got it i started getting nausea tiredness an really depressed.. i went to talk to my mid-wife and she said it will pass just give it time. i kept it for a year and and never got better. i had it removed in march 2012. painless getting it removed i bled for 3 or 4 days after. then i felt back to normal. now going on a 2 months without it i been feeling nausea again with cramps and headaches. i skipped a period in april 2012 then may i had a heavy period for 3 days but negative hpt. I WISH I HAD NEVER GOT THE MIRENA PUT IN..... s/n never problems before i had my son.
kez131
Hi I'm in the same boat as you are. I had Mirena from 1-12-11 to 4-24-12.
I was basically having the same symptoms as you. I'm 7 weeks post Mirena removal and for the past week I have been having recurring side effects. Not as bad as when I had the Mirena inside but my insomnia returned last night. I don't want to go back to my GP because she thought I was depressed & gave me medications. I know in my heart I wasn't depressed. I know the culprit was & is Mirena. Did you anything special to relieve the effects post removal, particularly insomnia? Dr's have no idea about what we woman are going through with Mirena.
i have to say i had my mirena for almost 8 years i am sorry to hear all you have gone thru but it was the best thing i had ever done i did have weird peirods for a month or 2 but nothing else i just had it removed and im still doing great the mirena may not be for everyone and may not be the cause of every symptoms but  i will definatly have one put in again so for those women  who are looking into having a mirena iud its not all bad the best part for me was the no periods no waiting for it to show up and alot of the symptoms i have seen posted for the mirena are what alot of women including me get on regular birthcontroll me and my hubby want a baby but after that i will get another one
I feel for everyone, and I, too, am disgusted with my doctor, when I asked about side effects. I had a cooper coil in for 7 years prior, with no side effects. I read the pamphlet and there was no mention of severe leg pains. I only had it in for one week, and I had a 3-day fight with my husband, which is so unusual. Then a day later, I woke up with severe pain in my legs. I am an athlete and this was inexplicable, as I hadn't done anything different. It felt like nerve pain, akin to sciatica, and thought maybe the iud was hitting a nerve. I am going to get it out asap - so my total mirena experience is 2 weeks, but I hope there are no post-iud nightmares!  I truly thank you all for sharing your stories.
I have been having some swelling and irritation around my clitorus and non of the yeast infrction cream has worked, they took cultures yesterday and I got this thing removed.  I do not have stds, did you feel the same with the BV?
My name is Kayla and I am 26 years old. I had a mirena inserted in July of 2009. At first I felt fine. My periods were always regular and still are each month. I still presently have my mirena. I just do not feel like myself anymore. I honestly cannot even remember the way I used to be. I am always worried always trying to self diagnose myself for symptoms I have never had before. I don't believe these symptoms occured until 6 months or more after insertion. I have never had allergies before and now I have constant red eyes. I have tried allegra, zyrtech and clariten and none of them work. I have thought a possible milk allergy even. I used to have beautiful blue clear eyes and now it looks like I am a stoner. I have developed cystic acne on my chin. I take great care of my face and cannot understand where they are coming from. I honestly cannot remember even having zits before. I am fine one day and depressed the next. I have no desire to have sex but I do it anyway for the sake of my relationship. Sometimes intercourse is painful for me. I sweat excessivley. I also get cystic pimples on my back and shoulders and pimples on my chest. Which makes it humiliating to where certain clothing. How can you be happy with your life if your so unhappy with your body and yourself. I also have odor after having sex with the same man I have had sex with since I was 17 years old and never had any odor of any kind. I have probably gained 5-7 lbs hence I am extremely active. I don't know if this is caused from the mirena but I can't understand why any of this is happening. I am highly fertile and this is the best contraceptive besides abstinence. I would love to try something else if it offered as much security as the Mirena. I have a daughter and we do not want anymore children. My daughter is eight.
thank you for your story, i totally agree with you.
women should educate themselves before chosing the mirena not just talking with their doc. I did alot of reading before getting the mirena put in, and my doc offered anesthesia which is the way to go! I had no pain afterword!
Also pay attention to your body! It will tell you when there is a problem!
I am very happy with it so far!
Now that you've had your IUD removed, how are you?  This is my second IUD.  I had my first for the 5yrs with no issues and had it replaced, now I've had the second for 1 1/2yrs.  I have alot of acne cysts.  The acne seems to be the only issue, but I cannot get rid of them.  I've been seeing a dermatologist and she even says my only choice now is Accutane.  And I am not going there!  So, I'm thinking of removing my IUD to see if the acne goes away, but I wanted to hear from those who have done it already.  So...how are you doing now that you've had it removed?
After the removel (removal) of the marina did u have any bleefing at all ?? Well the question is becouse I just got it removed about a month ago and im still not seeing any spotting or nothing I know ive been ovulating but not strong inuf my hubby and I r trying to conceive that's y I would lk to know :) if u could message me plz thanks
I have had my mirena since Sept. 2009..no problems. Light spotting for first 6 months.Then my period pretty much went away for 2.5 yrs. Nice!
The only thing I experienced so I thought..was a constant discharge so I wear pantyliners daily!
The past 6 months my period has returned very lightly for the first 3 mos., then it became a little heavier coming at sporadic times. It(period) now does what ever it wants, last how ever long it wants. Starts, Stops, Comes, Goes. Had my yearly exam in Sept.( 3yrs into Mirena) discussed my concerns. Pap & exam fine.  Keep in mind, I have numerous other health issues. But now after reading some coments I think alot of my side issues are MIRENA based. ANXIETY levels out of control, weight gain, high blood pressure with no apparent cause other than anxiety, low heart rate oddly enough and other misc. things. I was going to have an ultra sound to check for problems... which I think I will still do for "peace of mind". But I think even though my MIRENA has only been in for 3 yrs. It needs to go. I pray I don't have the wicked side effects some of you have had! But at least I know and can prepare my self for the possibilities!! Thanks to all who posted!
I had my daughter in april 2010 6 weeks later i had the mirena put in for about the first 6 months my periods were awful i had very heavy bleeding and the cramps were horible i felt like i was in labor all over again. After the first 6 months my periods began to lighten up and by about 9 months with the mirena had almost stopped. Now i'm about 2.5 years in and have only had three periods in the last year. About 3 weeks ago i was hit with sudden abdominal pains that i also felt in my back i would have sworn i was about to give birth it hurt so bad then it stopped as suddenly as it began. almost a week later i got my first "period" in 10 months in only lasted 2 or 3 days and was very light (i mean a smear of pink on the tissue when i wiped thats it) now 2 weeks later i feel like im pregnant i have had unusual vaginal discharge and a headache for a week and a half and no amount of medication prescription or non has helped i have done 2 hpt and both came back neg so i am thinking strongly about having it removed i just hope it hasnt messed with my fertility my husband and i have been thinking about having another baby
OMGoodness!  I am so glad that I have found this forum.  It has helped me connect the dots on so many things that have happened to me since I got the Merina!  I have had so many of the same symptoms as these ladies for the past three years, but thought it was because of my diet.  I finally got a diagnosis for all of the problems last year, which was Hypoglycemia.  I have had hypoglycemic tendencies all of my life, but they got really bad last year.  Preceding this diagnosis, I had an onset of migraines, heart palpitations, chronic fatigue, lack of libido, weight gain, sore muscles and joints, dizziness, weakness, shakiness, anxiety, and forgetfulness.  All of these symptoms were diagnosed as Hypoglycemia when these symptoms got to their worse.  We chalked it off to the sugar/carb consumption from being on Weight Watchers.  So, I switched to the South Beach diet, but never felt better...just continued to get worse.

Recently, I have been noticing that I have massive hot flashes and getting night sweats so bad that I wake up drenched and have to change myself and for the desire to not wake my husband, I lay a towel down on the bed to go back to sleep.  It has been getting worse and worse.  So, I decided to look up early menopause, and then found this forum, and several others!  I now realize that it is the Merina that is causing all of these issues!  I'm waiting on a call from my GYN to have this thing removed.  I only hope that I'm one of the lucky ones and the periomenopause symptoms dissipate once this thing is out!  It has been three years, and a very rough three years at that!  

Sad thing is…I have recommended this thing to so many of my friends, thinking that these symptoms were due to something else.  It certainly makes much more sense that it is related to this foreign matter inside my body distributing daily doses of hormones into my system than Weight Watchers!
Shocked is the word ! Since having this Mirena Coil for over 10 years ( 2 seperate ones ) I have loved the convience of hardly ever getting a period however I have suffered in silence from fear of being rediculed & shamed by doctors ! I have had a ovarian cyst & so much pain that I ended up having to be taken down for emergency surgery ! They didnt remove it has it wasnt twisted on its self or causing a problem which I got told it shd go away ! I had a scan 4 wks later & thankfully it gone ! I asked if the Coil was to blame & no rgt or wrong answear ! I suffer from terrible acne , very dry skin & even my pigmentation is changing in large proportions , always so tired , depressed & my hair thinning just to name a few ! Ive no sex drive what so ever Im not ashamed to admit it ! I have been considering having the coil removed however & unfortunately I have a prolapse tht im still waiting to hv more test done which doesnt help has tht is causing incontinance issues !!! Anothr problem is before having the coil fitted I suffered from very bad heavy periods & mensturating every two weeks with a five day gap in between so the thought of experiencing tht again is rather daunting however one the prolapse is sorted then I will hv it removed ! Im almost 100% sure that all the dry skin , acne & servere at times etc etc It has to be a time where my body needs a break ! Its reasuring to know Im not alone & remarkable tht ppl's health has improved ! Tht itself says it all doesnt it ! Im digusted at th doctor branding any symptoms etc B******t thts unprofessional & perfectic ! Hope tht doctor doesnt run any health trails ! No one has to hv txt book symptoms ! Its if your symptoms dont match th txt book answers then thy class you has over reacting !!! Wht happened to recording new findings !? After all isnt tht whats important to establish potential increased risks etc !? I honestly think the medical profession are there to profit !!! Seriously when was yr health actually considered without judgement !? They are some very gd doctors & nurses out there lets get tht straight & without them we wd be put in a corner to perhaps eventually be dealt with !?! I also hv to mention tht we r very lucky to hv very gd doctors & nurses & of course surgeons & specialist its just a shame those rogue unsympathetic doctors who are very ignorant to yr health tht things cd be potentially missed !! If yr not getting anywhr with yr doctor persue & keep going bk until you get somewhr & demand to be sorted out ! Gd luck ! :)
I had mine for 5 years. Im 37 and in good health. Long story short it worked for me. However fitting the 5 years I experience several bacterial infections that were extremely hard to get rid of even Wth pres friction drugs. It was embedded in my uterus at the time of removal. It was extremely painful and there was no pain meds. My insurance refused to pay anything on the removal or necessary ultrasounds but get this they would pay for me to get another one. Of course I didn't. All this went down on 1/23/13. I'm having  a terrible discharge. I will follow up with my doctor soon to what if any other problems were caused. Beware.
I had the copper iud for about a year and when I went for my 6 month check up (bc I have had cervical cancer  twice) and the doc said that he had to remove it because my endometriosis had shed over the iud so that was a bad experience...
Would like to try the new mirena and hopefully it will be a success bc I can't remember to take the pill!
A lot of the symptoms you describe sound like a thyroid imbalance. Did you ever have any blood work run? It is possible to have flare ups of a thyriod inbalance depending on the cause. Also an inbalance may have just been triggered by the progesterone in mierna.. Birth control hormones (particularly estrogen) affect thyroid levels in the blood by bonding to them and storing them into fat. When the hormones are removed the thyroid levels rise. It's entirely possible you have a hypothyroid condition that is mild and was exasperated by the hormones causing it to become noticeable. I have agressive Hashimoto's hypothyroid and have since I was 15. I have had the mierna IUD for 3 years with the only side effect being cystic acne. I am 25 and petite. (115-120lbs; 5'3" but well built size 2 with 32 D cup) so the hormones are higher for me than most people who have a decent amount of weight on me. Anyway, brain fog, hair loss, joint pain, weight gain, lack of sex drive, slow healing, excessive sleeping, lethargy are all extremely common symptoms of hypothyroid and it is very common in women. I recommend getting a simple thyroid panel (TSH, T3, and T4) an inbalance in any of those three can identify a thyroid condition. It typically develops at any age after puberty.
Hello All,

I was diagnosed with Endo when I was 17 and had surgery. I was pain free for 6 months or so, and the pains became unbearable. I tried all BC you can think of, and the doctor talked me into Mirena. Get in it was extremely painful and the pain was there for about 3/4 days. After that my period completely disappeared. No ridiculous cramps, no long heavy period, I was in heaven for about almost 4 years. Last year, I started getting crazy cramps again but still no period. Cramps were coming every 29-30 days. I had to take days off from work because the pains were just CRAZY!.
Doctor decided to remove the IUD to do further testing, because he wanted to make sure the IUD wasn’t causing the pain. I got the IUD removed 7 weeks ago and I still haven’t gotten my period. I have been taking pregnancy test on a weekly basis and they are all negative. Has anyone else had this issue?
I was told I should get my period within 3 weeks of removing the IUD but its been 7 weeks now almost 8. Any help would be appreciated!

Hi Lina,

I am going through the same thing as you atm. I had my IUD removed a month ago after having it for 5 years. I had no period at all the whole time it was in and only sometimes I would get some cramping and bloating once a month but never anything else. Now I went through the crash for 2 weeks after I had it removed, I was miserable. Every symptom you could think of having I did. Then for about 4-5 days I felt better and then I started feeling off again. It was different from the first couple weeks. These symptoms now feel a little more like pregnancy but the test still says negative. Yesterday I thought I had ovulation cramps in the right side but then today I am bleeding. IDK if its a period or if its implantation bleeding or what it is. I thought you usually got ovulation pains like a week or two before your AF so I'm a little confused. Basically now I am just waiting to see what happens. I never had a normal cycle before the IUD and pregnancy so I'm not really expecting it to be normal now. Good luck and keep us updated and I will do the same. :)
This is for all women who suffer from catamenial epilepsy. Do not have the mirena, it helps at first, then after about 8 month the level of progesterone must decrease slightly. Back came my epilepsy grand mal and palpitations, possibility also a type of partial seizure. Think about supplementing your normal hormones for natural ones instead. I'm now going to suffer I imagine for a few months while my hormones get back to normal
Thanks Tristan. I just had it inserted and I'm so nervous about it. I know I've got to wait it out and I get so afraid about the negative stories people have. But my doctor recommended the Mirena because I am not ready to get pregnant and women in my family are so highly fertile I didn't want to risk. When I and my fiance' are ready to get pregnant, God will bless us to do so. Thanks so much for your input. I just started itching today so, like I said I have to wait it out because I know my body is adjusting and I gotta give it a chance.
I am currently going through a similar situation. I had my mirena removed in January 2013. Everything was good. I remained regular, even after i went on a low dosage bc pill because of my high blood pressure. After two months on the pill, my blood pressure still remained high so i stopped the pill altogether. I got my last full period in April 13 and since then, nothing. I have been bloated, weight gain, nausea, dizzy, tired, had really tender enlarged breasts, had strange cravings, yet after at least ten hpts, each one was negative. Went to the doctor and got urine and blood tests done but everything was normal, and yes, pregnancy test was negative. On both counts. I am so frustrated. To this day, i am still waiting.
I was on Nuvaring for years, but since I had frequent yeast infections (and major cramps/backache during period) I decided to try Mirena. I am 40 now (39 when it was inserted) and have not had children. Insertion was HELL. I don't mean to scare people, but if you have not given birth, you might want to rethink this. I tolerate pain fairly well, but when Mirena was being inserted, I felt as if I was being torn apart from inside-out. My boyfriend heard me screaming from the waiting room.

For the first six months, things went well; no bleeding, no period. Then in November, I started spotting for a few days. My mood had also been "wonky". I never really had stereotypical mood issues with PMS before Mirena, but now I have this rage that really frightens me. I am normally a very patient, sweet-natured, calm person, but I get these feelings of rage now... I feel like putting my hand through a wall. I have also been having increasing pelvic pain. My doc had an ultrasound done to confirm the Mirena was in the correct position...he agreed to check my TSH and FSH, but that was it. He tells me I can't have endo since I don't get a period. He claims that women with endo only have pain during their periods. The way he is acting really confounds me since he was always supportive and empathetic in the past. My older sis recommended a female doc in the same practice. I have an appt on September 4th. I am going to ask about having the Mirena removed.

I am glad forums like this exist. I am so frustrated, I feel like crying :(  I just hope the appointment with this new doctor will go better. Thanks for "listening".

-Chrissy

I had the iud in since  2010, i did have a few problem's, the doctor couldn't find the strings, had my period once for 17 days. My cycle would change every month could be once a month to twice a month. Became depressed at one point which was very bad. I did get pregant on it and lost a baby at 3 months, which triggered my depression worse at that point. Had to go see my family doctor and he referred me back to the gynecologist. So i had the iud out 2 days ago after i just got off my period, now there is a little bit of spotting i'm not to worried about that because i kind of figured it would happen, but there is a different odor that i have never had before. I never had a odor before and now all of a sudden i have one. I'am not sexually active at all.
Viewing 401-476 comments: