Had my Mirena IUD removed
Had it removed 4 weeks ago exactly due to terrible problems from it. I wont post my story unless you want to know. Last week I had pain on my left ovary and today pain on my right. Its almost like a pinching feeling. Leads me to believe it (they) are cysts. When I normally am not on BC I have 28 day cycle. But not sure what to think since just having the IUD removed. Anyone have experience with this ?
As for NFP. I know people who have been doing it for 12+ years without an incident. But you have to stick to it. So if you know your body, like I do mine, there isnt a problem.

Your right you aren't going anywhere with this argument because it wasn't you. I will continue to tell my story in hopes that women will be smart enough to do all the research. Not just want their dr's tell them.
I agree - I have recommended the use of the mirena to so many people and they all love it.I also got pregnant very soon after having it removed, so no long term recovery. I honestly thought it was fantastic, very comfortable, no periods, no worry of pregnancy and no effects from the hormones that I am allergic to. If the mirena does cause cysts I can't understand why they would give it to my sister who has been suffering for so long due to polycystic overies...The normal pill made my tongue swell so bad i stopped breathing, yet millions use it  - I had a very rare allergy to the hormones. It was also explained that the mirena is safe from that as it doesn't release the hormone into your system.

Each to their own but I wouldn't like people to be scared of trying it because they read some negative feedback.

I have first hand experience of the placebo effect as I was part of a clinical trial and unknown to me I had a placebo. Some other people in my group had the real thing and started to feel ill. All of a sudden so did I. To me it was very real, I didn't think that I had a placebo. Once I was told and shown the paperwork my symptoms went.It is therefore very possible to feel symptoms just because others feel them.
AMEN!!
So to sum up - Yes there are side effects, these side effects continue after 3 months for a very small percentage of people. Yes it can enlarge follicles but again in a small percentage of people, lower than the pill in fact. These follicles(cysts) Correct themselves in most cases. Yes there may be changes in moods for approx 4-6 weeks but this will settle - far worse with the pill etc..

All meds have side effects, these side effects do not out way the benefits in my opinion. It is about personal choice .

I hope that this helps some to make sense of it all . Just a little bit of info

Research - NOT FROM PHARMACUTICAL COMPANIES NOT FROM BERLEX - INDEPENDANT STUDIES FROM REAL WOMEN.

The Mirena IUS is like many other types of Intrauterine Contraceptive Devices (IUCD's) in that it is fitted by a doctor and remains in the womb for a fixed amount of time, after which it must be changed. It is different, however, in that it is much more effective than usual IUCD's and avoids many of the side effects that put women off this choice of contraception.

How Effective is the Contraception?

1000 women used the Mirena IUS for a year, only one fell pregnant. This compares with 10 for the normal IUCD, 20 for the Pill and 10-15 for the injection (Depo Provera). This is comparable to the effectiveness of sterilisation.

Mirena acts as a contraceptive in two ways: it makes the mucus at the neck of the womb (the cervix) much thicker, preventing sperm from getting through and it also makes the lining of the womb extremely thin, stopping implantation. In some women it prevents egg release (ovulation).

A. Side effects with Mirena are most common during the first three months after insertion and decrease over time.
SIDE EFFECTS AT                3 MONTHS AT 5 YEARS
Lower abdominal pain (cramping) 10.5%         2.0%
Acne or other skin problems      3.5%         1.8%
Back pain                        3.1%          1.0%
Breast tenderness                 3.1%         1.0%
Headache                          2.8%         1.6%
Mood changes                     2.5% Less than 1.0%

Percentage of women reporting side effects during the first 3 months and fifth year of use.
CLINICAL STUDIES BY WOMENS HEALTH - INDEPENDANT
Ovarian Cysts: Progestagen hormones increase the chance of benign, simple ovarian cysts. This is more common with the higher hormone levels associated with the  pill. Overall the risk is about 3 times higher with the pill (1.2% in IUS Mirena users versus 0.4% normally). These cysts most often do not require any treatment and resolve on their own over 2-3 months. It is usual to arrange follow-up ultrasound scans over this time if they do occur.

Hormonal Problems: Although the IUS delivers its hormone directly to the lining of the womb, it does lead to a slight increase in progesterone levels in the blood stream. The levels are much lower than that found with the pill and usually don't lead to side effects.In our study we found that when they do occur, they are mild and only last up to 4-6 weeks

With small to moderate size fibroids, it is quite reasonable to use the IUS and our study has found that fibroids are less common in women who use the Mirena. A further paper has found that in a sample of 5 women studied, a Mirena actually reduced the size of their fibroids.

I had all the side effects as WiseGirl did, and more.  I had my Mirena IUD taken out last week after having it for 1 year.   I was very healthy before then. Some of my symptoms have disappeared already.   Only time will tell if my body gets back to normal health.  I would strongly advise NOT to go with a Mirena IUD.
It is not worth it.  
I had the Mirena put in on 3/2/2007.  The insertion was aweful due to some scar tissue on my cervix.  It took over an hour to get it in.  Dr. said I was an awesome patient to work through it.  I kept telling myself it would be worth it because I was in a new relationship and we were extremely sexually active and not wanting to get pregnant.

So, I bleed for a month and had the worst pinching cramps I have ever had.  Of course we didn't have sex for a month because I was so scared that it would hurt me even more; not to mention all the bleeding.  My partner was super supportive through all of this, Thank Goodness.

My worst fears came true.  I gained weight, my moods have been rollarcoasting, I lost my sex drive and my skin is a mess.  My periods are shorter; but the PMS has been terrible.  I have never had severe cramps and with the IUD I can barely stand up with my PMS cramps.  

Of course I stayed in contact with my doctor and he did say that all of most of theses things were normal and would subside.  For me personally, the side effects completely outweigh the benefits.  I talked to my partner and he said that he had noticed all of these things but had hoped that they would subside and hadn't said anything because he didn't want to upset me further.

I am having it taken out this week as soon as they can get me in.  I will be going back to the natural method.  I'm 33 and no hormonal birth control has ever been pleasant for me.  I thought this would be different because of the local release of hormone; but it's been aweful for me.

It's not that I wouldn't recommend the Mirena; because I do know a lot of women that love it.  BUT, if you are someone that has had trouble with many other types hormonal birth control; I would caution you against it.
I had mine put in 28 days ago.  My hair is cmming out, I have gained weight, had violent mood swings, crazy acne, greesy hair, horrendous headaches with an icky nautious feeling, spotting every day but one.  None of those side effects were there before insertion.
peekawho

I must say that you sound like you work for the company.

Also the information given out by the Dr.s and provided by the manufacturer does not list the side effects.

How is a person supposed to make an educated choice if they are not given the information up front?
I am just coming to the end of my 2nd Mirena.  Sadly it's 5 years old and time to be replaced.  

Other than the post insertion bleed I have found this particular contraceptive the best I have used.

Rach x
I have to say, I had the mirena implanted the beginning of this week. Every pamplet I received from my gynecologist listed every side effect that is possible, including minor ones. Side effects listed are not always caused by the product itself. During studies, they have to report all symptoms felt by the people in the study as precaution. I am not saying no one feels these and they are not caused by the product, but that how it is done.
i recently had the mirena IUD put in, well its been about 2 months.  Absolutly no period, no sign at all, I even took a preg test, neg.  I had some pretty bad cramps while the put it in place but after that I was fine.  My only concern is that my left ovary hurts all day every day.  I wonder if this has anything to do w/ the IUD?  I have always had back problems but I get the radiating pain from back to front, more often than once a month and I wonder if its worse because of the IUD.  Anyone have these symptoms.  Thanks for your help!  Olivia
I had the Mirena IUD placed on Friday and was in the ER on Sat night.  Insertion wasn't too bad and I experienced cramping for about two hours.  Then Friday evening I started to ache all over in my joints.  Especially my back, neck and shoulders.  I went back to the information packets and since this wasn't listed as a side effect I figured it was something else.  Then Sat I had chills off and on all day, and finally took my temp that evening  I had a fever, my joint pain also continued to get worse.  ( I was also concerned as I am nursing my 3 month old and have three more children)  I called an RN and they suggested I go to the ER.  The ER doc was great and asked why I thought these symptoms were related to the IUD.  I told him about the numberous posts I had read online about women who had experienced joint pain soon after getting the Mirena.  He did several tests to see if he could find a cause for the fever ( UTI, vaginal infection etc,,,) but they all came back negative.  He said I could have a virus, but there were no other indicators for that such as a cough, chest congestion etc... so after consulting with the oncall ob/gyn he removed the Mirena.  At this point I was sad it didn't work, but in pain so I was glad it was out.  

I was frustrated that joint pain wasn't listed as one of the side effects, when a simple search on the internet revealed that numberous women had experienced it.  I probably would have tried it anyway, but now will look into other options.  I appreciate forums like this were you can relate to other women to know you are not alone.
Hey 4cutekids....

Let us know if the symptoms resolved after the Mirena!  I just had mine removed today as we are going to TTC #3.  I really loved it after the first couple of months, but I had similar bad experiences on the Pill, so I know how it goes.  I may get another one someday, or I may get my tubes tied as I'm a c-sect.  I hope you are feeling better and would love to hear if it all subsides and stays gone!  I think I did read about the fever / infection thing in the first days after placement.  Bummer!  Cause when it works right it's gooooood!  Best of luck to you and your little ones!  Glad to know that there's still time for the occasional internet posting when you have 4 kids.  I'm a little nervous about having three, but we're having so much fun with the first 2 we just can't stop yet!

Best of luck to you and your family!
My doctor told me about Mirena and I am interested in getting it done, But after reading all the negative comments and the side effects I am very worried about having it done. Any advice?  TammyW

I have had my mirena for 3 years now. It hurt going in but was great after about 6 months not having periods and just occassional light spotting.  I got a yeast infection about 8 months ago.  It cleared with diflucan.  I got another one in a month.  I thought it was because my boyfriend and I were dating long distance and seeing each other once a month.  After we broke up I still kept getting a yeast infection plus I had starting having a very light period every 3 weeks.  My doctor cultured me twice for yeast because I complained although she couldnt see anything.  They both came back positive for yeast but the lab forgot to culture them both times.  I have another yeast infection for the 8 month in a row and have had to take meds each time only to have it come back.  I am done.  I am calling tomorrow to take it out.  The miren  was great for over 2 yrs but is not working now.
I have great kids and we enjoy being together.  I think the early years are hard, if they are all young together, but so worth it as mine are the best of friends.  A giggle, a hug or a silly comment can totally change your mood for the day.  Children are great!  Good luck with 3!!
For every bad experience someone has with the mirena, there are countless women who love it.  I only had it for about 30 hours and I think that is the great thing, you can have it removed.  The only problem with this is the cost and your providers attitude.  If I was paying out of pocket I would really want to be sure this was right for me.  Second if your doctor will listen to you and remove it if you request them to, then I would go for it.  The key for me was being able to look online and see that the symptoms I had were shared by other women.  So many posts talk about women that were in pain for many months before doing anything about it.  I wonder why someone would let it go on for so long before insisting on removing the IUD.  Trust your instincts and if you think you need it out, insist on getting it out!  Good luck with your decision.
I've had the Mirena for a year and a half now. Before I was on BC for 12 years. I chose the Mirena because I was tired of taking a pill, heavy periods, headaches and moodiness. When I first had the IUD inserted I experienced night sweats and hot flash's for the first month and a half then they subsided I figured this was due to ridding my body of the high dose hormone from the BC. About 6 months into it I started getting those symptoms again I am 42 and to young to start menopause I have not had a period the whole time I have had the IUD. I am now beginning to feel bloated all of the time. I had a friend tell me that Mirena releases's progesterone. I will be looking into that. Anybody else experienced night sweats and hot flash's?
I had my IUD(the one without hormones because I am breastfeeding) put in after my second son was born in Sept of 06. I have not had any problems, except being much more moody than usual and being much more forgetful, with it until recently. I didn't have a period at all until about 3 months ago and then I had another one this past week. The first period was heavy(but I am normally heavy) but this one this past week was horrible!!! I had BAD cramping and EXTREMELY heavy bleeding-for me-, bad mood swings, light headed feeling and the whole works. I don't have any kind of insurance so I couldn't go to the doc and the hospital just refurred me to a OBGYN. I am only 20 years old, very poor and I don't know to do. My husband was going to just bounce a check to take me to the OBGYN, but I said no b/c we REALLY can't afford it(especially with the $40 fees here and there and everywhere!!!). And also since I had it put in, I have been swelling BADLY. To nasty to explain to everyone, but it really worries me. I am really open to any suggestion and would appreciate them very much! Anyone can reach me at king_of_caos)***@****. Thanks, Brittany