Hair Refuses to Grow

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Hair Refuses to Grow

I am a white, 42 year-old female.  The hair on the back of my head, specifically on the nape of my neck, is literally only a few millimeters long.  It will NOT grow.  I have to keep my hair extremely short in order for this not to be very noticeable.   I do not have any bald spots or female pattern thinning.  My hormone levels have been checked.  I have been to numerous dermatologists, hair stylists, endocrinologists, all of whom have no answers as to why this one area refuses to grow - the rest of my hair grows normally - and none of them have ever seen this particular problem.  I seek to know WHY this is happening and also HOW best to proceed.  I have changed my diet and eliminated processed foods.  I have included biotin and zinc supplements along with my daily multi.  I am considering low-level laser spot treatment rather than minoxidil.  Does this problem sound familiar to anyone out there?  Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!
Tags: lack of hair growth refuses
It is normal to find short miniature hair in telogen effluvium. Depending on the duration of hair loss, close examination of the scalp may reveal a higher than expected number of short new hairs growing. This is because the hair enter the telogen phase. See the growth cycle of hair is in two phases, anagen or grwith phase and telogen or resting phase. During telogen, the resting hair remains in the follicle until it is pushed out by growth of a new anagen hair. In telogen effluvium, a large number of hair enter telogen at one time. When they start growing they do it together and so miniature hair may be present.

So this needs evaluation.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.