Hair thinning low iron! please help...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Hair thinning low iron! please help...

Hi there. Hoping you can help. I have been experiencing hair loss the last few years. I am a 37 year old female. My friends and family think I'm crazy and roll their eyes when I talk about it. I do have alot of hair and it is curly so it looks full. But of course I know my own hair! My part is wider and generally the top seems thinner scalp showing ect. My question is. I have always had alot of shedding. Recently found out that I was very anemic. Due to heavy periods and  large fibroid was removed. I have gotten my iron levels up actually they were high.Still the shedding never ends more than 100 hairs a day. They were said my iron was to back to normal a week ago. I believe my hair loss was caused by the low iron? If it is back to normal will the hair return? Also I see a ton of new baby hairs I think. Not sure if they are new or broken as my hair has also become quite dry. I am desperate as I know everyone else here is. Truly my hair was always one of my best features :( Sorry for long post. Any replies appreciated thanks.

The only thing I can probably answer on your post is that I am severely anemic and have not experienced hair loss as one of the symptoms.  I am glad to see you got your iron levels back up though - are you taking iron supplements daily now?  I have to, twice a day.  Hopefully somebody else can chime in here with the rest of your questions.  Good luck to you :)
I was told to stop the iron pills because my my iron actually became high. I have read alot about the hair thinning along with a ton of other things I had going on but didn't connect. I was put on ferrous sulfate 325 3x's a day. My levels went up pretty quickly. If yours aren't, I made sure to always take my with orange juice. The vitamin c helps obsorbtion you may already know that though. Thanks so much for your reply.