Having IUD Removed?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Having IUD Removed?

I have had an IUD for 7 months now and I am currently thinking about having it removed and trying to have another child. How quickly could conception happen and what should I expect as far has after it is removed? As we are leaving the country for vacation in 2 weeks and I dont want to me miserable.
i have never had one myself, but i have heard and read that conception can occur right after it is removed.  i also heard that the removal is quicker and easier that the initial insertion.  but, like i said, i havent had this experience myself.  good luck
I had mine pulled in Nov after having it in for 16 months, it was super easy, no pain (really!) and I got pg the next complete cycle. While I had a chemical pg, I got my BFP in Feb and am now 12 weeks. We had planned to wait, so when I got it removed, we used protection for a few weeks until the next cycle started. It is very possible to get pregnant as soon as it is removed, depending on where you are in your cycle.

Andi
Just had mine pulled March 27th - no complications whatsoever -  AF 1 week late - but much lighter - dr said go for it as soon as we want to.
I took mine out myself and conceived my second son two days later.  I was using a paragard but it may take longer with the hormonal ones.
You took it out yourself??  Didn't that hurt unbelievably bad?
Not at all. I reached up, felt the string and grabbed it inbetween my middle and pointer finger and it easily  slipped out.   I actually removed a second one after I heard that DH's sperm count was clear (haha, and now I think I'm PG again, so maybe I should have kept it in longer)
How bad is the bleeding after removal? Shoul I have it done before our trip or after as we are leaving the 1st week of May?
I wasn't on AF when I took mine out, but there was no bleeding until my period and at that time it was a normal flow.
So it is easy enough to take out your self? I have the mirena one. I have read up on it and it is suppose to fold up to come out. How do you know which string to pull to make the arms fold in?
Do NOT take it out yourself, make an appt like a civilized person and have your doctor remove it. I may have spotted here and there just from the cervical irritation, but it was nothing significant.

Andi
the stings are tied to a loop at the bottom of the device, so pulling on the string does't necessarily make the arms pull up, it's the pulling the deviced down that makes the arms pull up if you know what I mean.  http://www.emory.edu/UHS/health_topics/hormonal_files/image011.jpg
I personally would NOT pull it out yourself.  Any scarring could make it difficult to conceive.
I didn't have that problem very long when I had mine inserted. It just lasted 3 or 4 weeks at the most and it wasnt alot just enought to be annoying. Hang in there it will stop soon and to this point I dont have a period at all.
Hi, I had an IUD 3 years ago after I had my first baby,  and a month later I got pregnant.  Now I have two girls. 2 and 3 yrs old.  My friend also had an IUD and got pregnant 3 months after.  When the dr. went to take the IUD out, it was out of my uterus, in my vagina.  So she just reached w/her fingers and got it out. No pain though.  She said that my body got it out by itself.  well, after my second daughter I had a tubal(cut) and now I'm 9 days late for my period.  God, I hope i'm not pregnant again.
I have had my IUD for 2 years now, they had to cut my " string" short because my husband could feel it, and the doc said it would make it a little more difficult getting out but doesn't seem too concerned.  Has anyone had this?  I never bleed anymore, but a little spotting when I got it.  A friend at work
got one because I told her how great mine is but she bleeds alot still, after having it months now.
I have had my iud for 7 months and i had some cramping (extreemly bad) so i checked my iud and it was almost out! i was terrified! i already have 2 children and we want another but not right now! well i made a dr. app. for the next day and that night it came out completely. i have had some bad cramps and called my dr. he said it was ok and i didnt need to come in? im scared i might have an infection i have bleeding and like i said unbearable cramps should i get a second openion?
i just got and IUD put in today... does anyone know how long it will take it to stop hurting?
I had my IUD removed on June 11, 2007. Had a normal period on June 17, 2007 and now am 6 weeks pregnant today. Based on experience only I would say conception could occur at your next ovulation.
by the way i had the IUD for 5 years.
I am pretty sure but it was a long time ago that mine didnt hurt much longer than when i left the dr.'s office. Did you gynecologist not give you any information on that? I would call tomorrow if it is still hurting.
I did have an eptopic due to my iud...i really dont think i have ever had pain worse than what i felt with that. I would definately get a second opinion especially if your cramping is unbearable. I felt faint and was so sick with my eptopic. Again this is just based on my personal experience.
I had my IUD removed two day ago so I can try to conceive.  I had my last period on Aug 2.  
Is it possible to conceive before my next period.  
I did not bleed after the removal, though just spotting.  

i had have mine for 5 years and i went to take it out but the doctor couldn't take it out. she said that it can be inserted in me, and i am afraid of got it check up. is this normal?
I had my copper IUD removed 11 months ago, and still no luck with pregnancy.   My husband and I have a healthy sex life, so I don't understand what is going on and why I cant seem to get pregnant.  We have other children together and our youngest is 2 and we have never had a problem with fertility.  So I guess my question is, Has anyone ever had trouble TTC after having an IUD removed?  My dr. said I shouldn't have a problem concieving after having it removed but I cant help but think something must be wrong because when we TTC our other children it never took us more than a couple of months to concieve (conceive) and this time we have been trying for 11 months, I know its not my age because I am only 29, so does anyone have any advice?
Wow its nice to hear someone else is having the same problem as I am.(not to be mean or rude) I had my IUD out around May. It is now Sept 19th and I still am not pregnant. I have 2 other children and my youngest is 2 almost 3. *sigh* At least I know im not alone in this. I am also 29 years old. I have a mirena IUD. I have NEVER had any problems concieving. With my other 2 kids the longest it took me to convieve was like maybe 3 days. Im not even close to kidding!! Thats why I am so frustrated. My doc told me to wait until the end of july to start tryin, so we did.....still no luck.

Anyone else had the same issues as us???
Hi, i have now had two IUD's and with my first one we decided to have removed because we wanted another baby. It took us roughly 6 months to finally conceive
and we now have a healthy baby girl! Hehe all be patient especially if you KNOW you can already have children! When time is right it WILL happen! Now on my second IUD going just over a year and i havent had one period! This does concern me! Anyone know why this is? I know its nice to not have mood swings and all that but has anyone went without periods all together?
Hello: Don`t feel bad  I had a copper i.u.d and was taken out in Jan 07 We have been trying to conceive since the day it was taken out and were still not pregnant. Hopefully this month it will happen but I just ended my cycle today. I wish you all the luck in the world!!!
hey ladies. i had the minera iud i had to placed in Oct of 2006 & sept 26th 2007 i had it removed. this is out first month ttc; my doctor said it should be easy to become pregnant as long as you take a multi or daily vitamin at least once a day. we have a 14 month old & are ready . she also told me it will be easier for me because im still very very young. she said that when woman reach 25 years old & have iuds is when it becomes harder to concieve (conceive) after it being removed because as you age its harder for woman to get pregnant & with a birth control like an iud it can be even harder for the first 6 months after having it removed. i wish everyone LUCK && BABY DUST to all <3
I had my IUD for 1 year I have 3 kids and mine came out hope im not pg cant handle another one right now. now im having a little spotting do you think its normal? I had  sex the day it came out what do you think the odds of getting pg are?
i had an iud removed last year and i got pregnant right away. it is normal to spot also sometimes you can have full periods when you are pregnant i did with my first two children for the first 3 mths. and didnt think i was pregnant because i was having periods but i was wrong
I had my iud in for 3 years, and I just got it taken out a while now. I did have a lot of spotting in the first wk, But after that I havent had a period since then. I am very depressed that I am not pg yet I dont know what  to do at this point.It was very easy for me 2 get pgnt with my 2 sons, they are 8 and 3.I want a little girl, is there any pointers out there?I hope I will get pg soon.
hey.  i am getting ready to have my mirena out after 5 years.  we are ready for baby #3.  i never had a period while i had the iud.  it was blissful.  i was wondering how heavy the periods are especilally not having one for 5 yrs.  any comment would help.  hopefully i will get preg right away and not have to deal with it.
I had the mirena for four years, and I just had it taken out of June 27th 2008. I bled for about four days after I had it taken out, so I don't know if that was my regular cycle or if it was a reaction to having it removed. For the past four days I've been really nauseas is this normal? or could I be pregnant? I haven't even had it out three weeks yet. Please if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
i had my iud taken out 5 days ago.The DR said i should start bleeding in 48 hrs and if i didnt to take pr test.Well its been 5 days and still no bleeding,I just wondered if i got pr the first time.has anyone else had this happen?what should i do?
I have had my copper IUD for almost 9 years and have desided to have it taken out and try to concive. My doctor said it would not be a problem to concive but has anyone ever waited this long?
i have had my iud for 3years now i am 22 with a 6yr and 4yr old. i didnt want to have more children well for now while i finish school, i have  just been very concerned because my period starts with brown blood spotting and then becomes heavy with still some brown blood to then a regular menstrual but that lasts for 1 week about .  is this normal also having sex hursts and if im on top i start bleeding and spot after that ????  is this normal common >>>???  
the IUD is in the CERVIX not uterus. the cervix is the opening to the uterus so everyone sayin you can "scar your uterus" is wrong. unless its slipped out of place up into your uterus. but if its in the normal position you wont scar anything pulling it out. come on people we learned this in high school!!
Hi, I had the paraguard inserted in Sept 2010.  I have been having horrible side effects (mainly cramps that make it hard to stand up & I spot ALL  the time).  I'm not TTC, so I was wondering if anyone knew how soon you could go back on BC pills after the removal of the IUD?  Also, how long does it take to have a period after removal?
I got the Marina IUD in November of 2008 after my third child was born in September of 2008. I have a six year old daughter, and two boys ages 4 and 2. The first year I bled heavy, and a lot. I didn't have a normal "period" until six months later..or even started any kind of a cycle. The hard, random bleeding was such a pain. I noticed I get really bad cramps, bloated, i've gained weight, my skin is not as pretty as it used to be, and my hair sheds a lot now. I am married, and my husband I don't want to TTC until summer of 2012... but I think I am willing to "risk" a pregnancy and get this thing out. I have an appointment next month to remove this.
hi there ladys,  i got my mirena iud in may 2010 and just had it removed in october 2011. My periods where so unregular, one month i would get it then another i wouldn and then worse at the end ill say last 6 months when i had my period they will sometimes or should i say most of the time last up to 2 weeks nd very heavy that i just decided to have it removed.. I delt wit it cuz i didnt want another baby i have only 1 son 18 month old at this point still dont want to ttc till the summer of next year:) after removing that darn iud it didnt hurt at all but the next followng day i started bleeding ALOT with ALOT of blood cloths and sum are huge the cloths only lasted for about 3 days but i get big ones occasionaly im still bleeding alot nd its been 18 days ive goton in between about 3-4 of no periods :( but im so tierd of it i feel like i had a period for EVER, I WOULD NEVER GET AN IUD EVER AGAIN ITS BEEN A BAD EXPERIENCE IT COULD OF GONE WORSE BUT LUCKY ITS JUST THE BLLEDING.... hope nd pray the best outcomes nd health  for all iud users and thoes ttc:)
I've had an IUD for 3 years now. I'm getting it taken out ASAP.... I bleed everytime after I have sex (haven't had a period in 3 years), sex hurts so of course I've lost my sex drive. Recently I've noticed I'm having severe mood swings, I'm crying then I'm laughing, and the next minute im yelling... the total prude ***** that I've NEVER been. I just want to, WANT to have sex again. I read that some women are allergic to Progesterin (sp?) a hormone in mirena & this can cause the mood swings.
First, no one should ever remove an IUD themselves, paragard or mirena. It can cause serious damage and infection. Have it removed by your ob-gyn. It's not worth the risk.
Second, you should wait at least one to two cycles after having your IUD removed before trying to conceive. This is to avoid potential issues with your placenta and potential miscarriage. The IUD causes inflammation and your body needs to return to normal before you conceive. This is all according to my dr. I am having mine removed today. Good luck to all of you.
I have had my Mirana IUD for 7 months.  I bleed every time I have sex also.  I also bleed every few weeks, for a few days, lightly.  My partner does not like blood, so now, there is a 'fear' around having sex.  I am having my IUD removed tomorrow.  It has actually almost made us abstinate.  =(

I also have noticed a difference in my fluids during sex.  I am less wet.  Has anyone else experienced this?
i just took out my mirena myself today actually. It is very easy and painless (for me anyway) I really did not want to pay the $300 to have it removed when all the doctor was going to do was the same thing I did in my bathroom at home for free. The ads about mirena being harmful and could make you infertile really scare me esp since I do want another child. Wish me luck ladies.. so far the only symptom is some mild (very mild) cramps .
I agree with you, I have gained 25 lbs in the last year and a half and my moods the week before my period are outrageaous. My boyfriend has had enough because they are directed toward him and the next week Im fine. IUD is costing me my relationship!
Actually, the IUD is placed into the uterus through the cervix. The arms of the IUD block sperm from entering the Fallopian tubes, and the bottom of the IUD sits on top of the cervix, inside the uterus. We did learn this in high school, but you must not have been paying close attention.

Source: http://images.ddccdn.com/cg/images/en93292.jpg
hi im having the same problem ive had 4 kids would like one more but nothing is happening
Hi I have had my iud for about 7 months now and every once in a wile my pee has a very weird smell... has this happened to anyone...
I had my Mirena IUD for 5 years, just got it out last month and super nervous I'm going to get pregnant right away! I didnt want to have to get it in and out again in the next year or so... now Im on the ring. Anyone have an experience where they got it out and DIDN'T plan on getting pregnant, took birth control... but still got pregnant?

Also- I did have some crapping when it got taken out but it wasnt as intense and didnt last as long as it did when I got it put in 5 years ago. I also bled for the first week... I put the nuva ring in right away. I just took it out and no period yet... Im hoping Im not pregnant already!