Having a hysteroscopy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Having a hysteroscopy

I am having a hysteroscopy at the hospital. Because of never having had children and in menopause, the doctor could not get past the cervix in an office procedure.  I am very disturbed by the thought of being knocked out and being 'on display' to any number of people during this surgery.  Has anyone had this;  would they allow my husband to be in with me during the procedure; can I at least keep my bra on (I am big,old, and flap around a lot outherwise).   Recently in town we had news items whereby some doctor took pictures of a penile tatoo and sent it to his friends with his camera phone.  The patient was drugged out and this was in a branch of the same hospital I will be in.  I am more disturbed by these thoughts than by worry over whether or not I have any cancer.
Hi. I can absolutely totally relate to you.I promise. You should really have no worries. I know that is so much easier said than done. No, I'm pretty sure they will not allow your husband to be in the room with you. DO NOT under any circumstances be embarrassed of flopping around. They see things on a daily basis that we would think is crazy. About the picture being taken, I'm sure that doctor is no longer with that hospital. Things like that are completely unacceptable and are not tolerated. I was knocked out for my first time a year ago for a hysteroscopy and laparoscopy, I was exactly the same way you are. But I swear, you will be awake before you know it. One second you laying there and the next second your waking up. I actually asked the doctor when they were going to start when I woke up. Also, a hysteroscopy is a very very simple procedure. I hope some of this is calming for you-it will be ok!! Good luck to you!!