Heavy, swollen, painful breasts, not pms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Wow - my first question.
Wondering if anyone has experience with heavy swollen and painful breasts, AFTER your period? My period ended a few days ago yet the pms-type breast symptoms have not gone away (they usually disappear when my period starts). I do not feel any lumps or growths, wondering what this could possibly be? Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks!
i am sure you are well aware of this but its the only explination i could offer. what about your caffine intake or salty foods. i think spicey foods can do it too.
did you experince this before your period? if not, maybe they are making up for lost time! hormones can fluctuate.
are you pregnent?!?
Really?? I've never heard of that before! I do drink quite a bit of coffee. I am just surprised because yes, I had pms tenderness but as I said, it always goes away as soon as my period starts. I am at a complete loss as to what this could be but won't rush to the doctor just yet. Maybe I'll do some googling about the caffeine thing.. thanks.

Niel - no, could not be pregnant as I just had a period :) That's why the tenderness is odd..
ya know what too...if you are thinking about it/conscious of it they will remain sore. seriously. that happened to me and stressing over it made it worse. once i focused on another ailment...hahaha it all went away. mind over matter! stress and caffine will give you those symptoms.
True enough - and I am sure constantly feeling for lumps isn't going to help...lol

thanks!
http://www.womentowomen.com/breasthealth/breastpain.asp?id=1&campaignno=breastpain&adgroup=adgroup1&keywords=sore+breasts
You are a rockstar! Thanks for finding that - this is completely news to me, and a really interesting article (and a relief). Cheers!!
so glad it was helpful! it was the same article i read when i was all worried with the same thing. i figured if it calmed my fears it could calm anyones! i would bet the feelings in your breasts will now subside.
You know something - this is getting WAY worse. I am just about in agony. And I haven't "thought" about the pain at all since I read these posts yesterday. It's just ongoing pain and I can't believe how huge my boobs are. A girlfriend asked me if I had a boob job!

But there is still no lump or bump.. in fact my breast tissue is really smooth. Could I still have fibroid cysts? What did they feel like and how were you diagnosed?

thanks for the words - they are helpful!
EEK! Now I'm bad to scared mode. No discharge, no lumps, just extreme pms-boobs. I can't find any knots at all.. so perhaps that's not it (or I just can't feel it)

I wonder if hormones could be the problem. My period was quite a bit lighter than usual as well, tho it lasted the same amount of time.

Anyway thanks for the help.. guess I will just have to take these puppies to the doctor!
Nah, I am not one of those people who believe you bleed when you're pregnant. As I say, it was the same length as my period, just lighter and we're not talking spotting.. just less fluid than usual.

Come to think of it, aside from the pain, I really shouldn't be complaining...lol... my husband looked at me this morning and said, "My you have a marvellous rack!" Haha.. not elegant but I'll take what I can get  ;o)
So? What was it? :-(( I'm  experiencing the same thing...Now I'm really scared!
Thanks!
OMG so glad I found this thread, although it seems to be old.  =/
Maybe someone can answer me?  Cause I have the same symptons as Mrs Canada.  Felt them before my period, and they remained afterwards.  I don't drink Caffeine though.  
I also had a lighter period this time around, no spotting, and I don't feel any lumps, but yhey feel HUGE each morning, and so sensitive even to a hug.  Help pls...I don't have insurance and do not like running to the doctors for everything even when I DID have it.  (lol).

Thank you
Hi, I am suffering from the same problem this month.  Period  came on, lasted 4 - 5 days, the painful swollen breasts continued and today they are really hurting (8 days post period).  It would seem to me that this may be related to early ovulation because I am sure that I ovulated yesterday.  Could this be the cause with you.  I have been under a fair amount of stress lately and been on antibiotics so I think this may upset the hormonal balance.  Also, as someone else said, try not to drink too much coffee and pepsi/cola drinks at this time because it will exacerbate the condition.  Hope this helps.
I am 43 and had a hysterectomy about 5 years ago.  They did not remove my ovaries so still get sensitive breasts when it should be my period.  Lately I have had swollen sensitive breasts that just seem to get worse.  My dr said that I should take anti-inflammatory tablets for a few days which I did, I also changed bra's.  Off with the wire support bra's.  It felt so much better.  but when I went off the anti-inflammotaries within days the pain and that is back.  I went onto the internet and found a web page that helped alot.  www.embarrasingproblems.co.uk  Please go onto there an maybe it will help you.  regards thomas65
i think this is the ONLY info I have found on the web about this.  My boobs became huge and painful about June 1, I was freaking out, then got my period June 17.  I was so relieved, but after my period my boobs never deflated again and they're still SERIOUSLY painful.  I do usually get PMS, but it always disappears after the period- and they have never gotten this large.  I am at a loss... I don't think I can spend another week with my huge, hard, painful breasts. :(   I don't eat a lot of salt -I have an intolerance for it to begin with, i have been drinking less caffeine lately.... i just don't know.
Hi....I'm also dealing with painful, much larger breasts.  I have been unable to afford my birth control for about the past three months...but I'm going to a free clinic to help that soon.  Regardless, my fiance and I haven't had sex in almost 2 months, when we did it was protected, because we have low sex drives due to meds for depression....etc.  This change is recent for me.  I can hardly hug fiance w/out pain, bra's hurt me.  B/c of my meds. that make me so drowsy I have to drink some caffeine to function, but I can cut back.  Never been diagnosed for PCOS, but I have insurance so I'm going to go get tested soon.  Lots of doctors appts. right now for me.  I will let everyone know what I find out.  I don't think there is any possibility I'm pregnant, I'm not having periods now, but I usually don't unless I'm on birth control.  So thankful for this forum!  Take care everyone :).
Have any twenty-something year olds had this problem?  i am 25 and have terrible pain in both my breasts. They are also swollen.  It has gone on for 6 or 7 weeks.  My gyno dismissed me and wanted to link the issue to my diet...but it hasn't changed. no more caffeine now then before. i have sleepless nights and it's affecting me at my job.  a firm handshake can be painful.
I am 26 and this is happenig to me too. I had my period two weeks ago, normal there. my breasts started swelling about a week ago. My bras no longer fit, standing or lying on my sids hurt (weight of breasts pull them down). I have pain behind my breasts, my nippls burn and itch. And my sternam (spelling? middle of rib cage) is sore and painful to the touch. I hate coffee and tea, don't drink energy drinks, rarely drink alchol, and have pop mabye once or twice a week at most.
I do have cycst proplems (ovaries) So there is a big chnce that I have a new one or an old one has burst. You should get tested for cycsts if you haven't already.
My room mate is also pregnant (8 weeks and a bit) So her hormones could be effecting me.
If the pain keeps up for another week or gets worse, I am going to my doctors.
ah!! this is happening to me!! what was the result???????
Um.... Niel could have been right you know....

My mum had all her periods and was still pregnant, so even if you do have your period you can still be pregnant
aww my boobs hurt so bad too. i went to the doctor today and he said my breat are swallon, due to fibroid cyst or something like that! he gave me a perscription for something that will take the pressure off the breast. then friday i have a ultra sound im getting done on my boobs! they been hurting for about 3 or 4 months now! they seem to be very heavy and feel hard! they almost feel like they would when u just have a baby! they hurt all the time!
I am 54 years old and haven't had a period since July 2008.  My breasts have been swollen and sore periodically for YEARS but now they just stay that way, PLUS the ducts are swollen and wider and the areola is lumpy and raised up..I have had annual mammos for the last 14 years and am not due until June 2009 for the next one but I worry because I feel little lumps in the right nipple, and see two tiny little whitehead things next to the nipple but no leakage or anything.  My breasts are lumpy anyway.  The caffeine connection is new to me so I will try that..but I wonder if this is just part of the menopause process....
im 43 going on 44 and my breast have stayed very sore and swollen since my period  over 2 weeks -it usually subsides and goes away by the start or after 1st day of my period-ive also experince aches in my legs and back pain off and on  like i normally  would get prior to my period-i drink 1 cup of coffee a day-no alchol intake -what is wrong with my body?
I am 35. I have had alot of pain in both breasts since mid cycle but much more in my right breast. The pain is sometimes shooting. It hurts up under my armpit and my breasts feel swollen and heavy. They have been huring for 2 weeks. I tend to have discomfort a few days before my period but this is painful. The right breast really hurts alot.  Any ideas?
I have had the same thing for the past few months.  One morning it seemed like my breasts just swelled and then I started having terrible pains first on one side then the other.  Now they seem to stay swollen.  The day of my period they go down and then come right back up..one side really seems a bit more swollen than the other. I have chest acne too, which is new and it is even spreading down to my breasts one more than the other. All these symptoms are driving me crazy and making me really worried. But, I did do the no caffeine and no chocolate thing and have been taking Evening Primrose oil that I had read about and my pain (thank goodness!) is gone but the swelling is back.  I'm 38 and I'm wondering if this is what starts happening to women my age.
I don't get insurance for six more weeks and I don't know what to do.  Have any of you been to the doctor and got any information about breast swelling?
I am currently researching the causes of breast pain for research and one very possible and common cause of swollen breasts with pain could be water retention. This is apparently common during and after the period but can be enhanced if you consume a high sodium (salt) intake in your diet.
I got an iud in march.  So no periods here at all. I have had hard painful swollen breasts for the last 2 weeks. driving a car even hurts.  Any ideas??
I am 21 and have been off birth control for around 3 months. I am having this problem now after 4 days after my period. I do have PMS symptoms before and during my period but have never had swollen, painful breast after my period. I wonder if it has anything to do with the size of breasts for some of you..? I cant even call mine breasts because they are so small but now they are HUGE (to me). My bras are all fitting tightly and I dont drink ANY caffeine except for my morning single cup of coffee. I dont really eat alot of salt either but I am a very stressed out person. Now that I think about it, I have always had really painful breasts around my periods(feels like they are bruised all over). My boyfriend even noticed that they are swollen and tender to touch today. We dont have sex that often as we both have low sex drives but the last time we did was right before my period but we did not go all the way because we realized we didnt have any condoms. EEk, unless I got pregnant from pre-ejaculation...EEK...let me know if anyone finds anything out!
I'm 18 and I've been having constant breast tenderness... to extreme pain, for... over a year? I'm on the pill and that hasn't changed anything. They almost always hurt to the point where I can't hug my boyfriend. They feel heavy and super sensitive, and nothing seems to change it. I've been to a doctor about it and she didn't feel any lumps or anything, and seems to think I just have denser breasts... I mean, I don't think C's are all that huge, but theres definitely something wrong here. I've tried different bras, wired and non wires, chopped out caffeine, lowered the salt intake... nothing. Does anyone here have any answers? Periods make it near unbearable - the only thing that makes it feel better is being in a hot bath.
Hi Guys

I have just come across your thread searching for the same problems it seems as Mrs Canada. I think I may have the answer, or part possibly. estrogen dominence tends to create havoc with breast tissue, and other general PMS symptoms. I suggest googling progesterone deficiencey and answer some of the diagnostic questions. I have 90% of the symptoms. There is progesterone cream to purchase, but best to get a saliva test done, blood tests tend to be inclusive, therefore saliva tests are far more accurate. Hope this helps.
I had this problem a few months ago, my breasts were swollen, painful and bigger so I did some research and Im pretty sure it had to do with my soy intake! I read up everywhere about it and so I switched to almond or rice milk (im vegan) and cut down alot on soy..and whado u know...my breasts aren't swollen and tender anymore!! Try it ladies! Soy is a plant based estrogen..
Hi everyone Im 21 y. o. this morning i was going to take a shower when I looked at the mirror i realized that my breasts are bigger and when I touched it was smooth and swollen but no bumps or anything I was scared that something is wrong because the day before I had brown discharge like usually I have b4 my period but it was 10 days before my period, anyway I almost cried cuz i know i cant be pregnant but it happened to me first time dont know what to do...and yesterday i was really stressed cried a lot cuz i broke up with my bf may this is what caused it i dont drink caffein at all...i asked my mom she said its happens sometimes my cazin had the same before she was married not anymore....so anyone knows if its normal and is it gonna take a while or how many days, who knows?
Im 21 years old and from few week im my breast are very sore and swollen,im really worried.Im sure that im not pregnant,because i have an implant and my period finished.
I dont drink caffeine drinks,and my weight its okey,my bmi is 21.8.
Also im noticing that im putting weight and i feel my self "swollen".Im really worried,i gone to see my gp and she said that is because of period and if the pain doesnt go away to go back and see her..i never had so much breasts pain :(
Hi. I believe i am experinving the same pain as alot of you ladies. I am 21. At First I thought I was pregnant but  have taken a total of 6 tests ( 3 home and 3 from the doctor) and all were negative. I havent had a period or any pms symptoms in 3 months and for about 2 wks my breast have been really sore to the point where it hurts for my husband to hug me. I am getting really worried because I was sure I was pregnant and the doctors havent given me any reason for the missed periods or painful breasts.
I'm 22 and was recently diagnosed with a cyst. It took a year for a doctor to come up with this explanation. I often missed my periods over the past year. Everytime I went to the Doctor they always took a blood sample to make sure I wasn't pregnant. I would definitely suggest getting an ultrasound done, since you do have the tender breasts that I had, and the missed periods without pregnancy. It would have saved me a lot of hassle.
hmm.. Awesome to have found this! :D
Im 25 years old & idk if my body is changing or what but the first week in april I got spotting instead of my period & i had spotting on and off for about 10 days. very light. it was confusing becuase it was the exact date (4/3) to get my period. it stopped 4/13. if thats the case.. i should get my period 5/11 (this month.) but.. since two days ago (5/1) I have had my breast enlarging and becoming sore. very tired lately, eatting more & gained deffinatly a pound! im really starting to think im pregnant but not ready to take a day off from work to visit the doctors.
Turned 25 today, I have been experiencing breast tenderness, swelling and heavy , hard breasts for years. It usually comes on about a week before my period and then gradually goes away. I have suffered from ovarian cysts since age 17 and have had multiple operations because of it. I missed periods, and still the breasts kill me. I found out last year that I had a hormone inbalance. My prolactin( hormone that produces breast milk) was very high, and also my thyroid was high. So , that explained the cyst problems and missed periods, but still I suffer is the breasts. I have no idea what causes it. For the past month and a half they have been HUGE and so sore! The sides , near my armpits are the worst. They feel so heavy and I cannot even take off my bra without extreme pain. Niples are extremely sensative and i just dont undersand it. Does anyone know anything? I dont wanna go to the doc  again. I hate the doctors.. plz let me know.
is it ok to eat red meat ?
http://www.chiro.org/LINKS/FULL/Fibrocystic_Breast_Changes.shtml

Check out the above site
Hi Im 42 and really like you all with the pain, driving me insane however the coffee thing is something I will try as I have been drinking quite a lot lately.  Going up 3 bra sizes though is not good and now it is winter in New Zealand the cold is making it a lot worse, I may go to the doctor I think and get a medical idea of what is really going on.
I am 28 y/o...last month my period came on time, but only lasted 2 days...not normal. Then my breasts havent gone down from the pre-period swelling. Im not on any birth-control and my bf and I have unprotected sex...hoping Im not. But is it possible??
If you are not on birth control and have had unprotected sex and are having those symptoms then there is a high chance you are pregnant. Try a hpt and if that comes back positive then go to your doctors.
Hi I am 16 nearly 17. I have really sore breasts and i feel extreme nausea at the wierdest times. I also need to pee all the time.
The first thing that came to my head is pregnancy. I have been on the pill for 2 months. I had unprotected sex at the beginning of that two months. I then got my period and I thought I would be all good, but then this last month I was only spotting.
I have been checked for Ovarian cysts before after my 14 year old sister had a burst one while we were on a holiday. I did get diagnosed with PID 2 years ago but I have had no repercussions.

I am just wondering if any one else has had this and if so were you checked out by a dr and what did they say.
Also is there any like old remedies anyone could suggest to help these symptoms???
I am open to any suggestions!!!
I will be 47 in Aug and often have experienced heavy, painful breasts prior to my period.  Painful breast always go away when period starts except for this time.  My last period started 2 weeks ago tomorrow and my breast are still so painful - they are not as engorged, just really tender around the nipple and aereola.  I am really worried because I have had some crusting on both nipples and was suppose to go for a mammogram awhile ago.  I am set to go for my mammogram tomorrow, but am absolutely dreading it, as my breast are so tender.  My doctor said I should wait until tenderness goes away, but I am too scared to wait.  I am really upset with myself for not going for the mammogram earlier and am hoping that this is just hormones acting up as I move towards menopause.
hi girls, i had my montly two weeks ago and still have painfull breast,felling tearfull, and sometimes sick after food or hot drinks.....also being feeling really hot.dont understand my body,i had painfull breast before my montly and still painfull. dose anyone know whats going on
im 37...no more periods but my breast have been swollen and sore for weeks. i have 3 children and nursed all 3. i do have milk leakage which is strange since my youngest is 7. i dont know what could be the cause of this.....no insurance at this time....so im at a loss.....any ideas?
You know after reading all of these posts I really think its related to animal products. Nowadays animal products in the US especially are full of hormones and antibiotics. I would nearly guarentee if you all began eating organic meat and stopped eating diary these symtoms (symptoms) would go away after a couple of months.
I'm so pleased that I have found this site.
I've been suffering painful swollen breasts for months. They are absolutely huge and so painful, even slightly brushing past. I've always worn lacy bras but am having to go up from an A cup to a D cup and complete full padding, making me even bigger. Non of my clothes fit. my tummy is massive. Can't fit into my favourite jeans now this year.
I'm 53 and I had a hysterectomy 7 yrs ago, but still have my ovaries. I have been to my doctor's umpteen times for blood tests etc. asked about progesterone cream but he didn't recommend it and constantly having this problem, I have finally got a referral to the hospital in 2 weeks. Just hope they finally sort this out!
I only limit myself to one cup of coffee in the morning when I first arise, otherwise I drink herbal teas most of the time. Don't drink an awful lot of milk, but take calcium tablets to make this up.
From this site it certainly narrows it down to high Oestrogen dominance. Hope it proves correct. I was dreading being diagnosed with cancer as my gandma died of this.
I am 19 years old and about a year ago i found a lump above my left nipple. I didnt really think anything of it. Acouple months later it spread through my whole breast and then it happened on my right breast as well.. the only time that they are not painful or swollen is when i am on my period. About 3 days after my period they swell up again until my next cycle. Ive had an ultrasound done and they saw nothing. Then went to see a doctor but he was very rude and didnt take me seriously at all. He didnt even take a chance to look at them. So ive never went back. Any suggestions?

I'm 24, and have had a couple strange things happen with my beasts latley. I work in the bar industry so my boobs are always pushed up and I sweat a lot during work. My nipples recently became itchy and dry. I kept them clean and wash my bras every other day. Since I started doing that has become less frequentm but my breats are SO sore. I had a normal period last month and they have been hurting since then. I took a pregnancy test; negative. Is there anyone who has any insight on this situation? I only drink water and eat pretty healthy. There seem to be a lot of people with this issue, but no one has answers :( Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I am 23 and am experiencing this problem as well. I ALWAYS get sore breasts about 3-5 days before my period and then the pain and swelling stops almost the moment i get my period. If anything the pain stays for a day after my period. My period stopped 3 days ago and i am in so much pain and my breasts are so swollen. I drink coffee but have not increased my consumption at all and am not really under much stress,
Is it possible that even tho i just had my period i could be pregnant?
This was my first thought but now reading i am hopeful that there is another answer!
I'm not crazy!!! Yay!!! I am having the same problem...actually I just googled "boobs swollen and hurt, but not pregnant...what is it?" The only time I have felt like this before was when I found out I was pregnant. My boobs actually hurt to be touched, nipples itch, swollen. I drink coffee and Mt. Dew. I eat salt like a normal person. My period has come and gone...gets worse right before, but still very noticeable after my period. Even my mom thought I was more busty the other day. I've been thinking it might be crazy hormones. I'm 32 and have had an implanon (bc implanted in arm) for almost three years. The breast issue has been going on for a couple of months. Also have had acne issues on face, back and chest...not a usual thing for me. Nipples have some pimple like bumps around areola, but no oozing or anything. You can pinch them and white stuff comes out. What's wrong with 'em? Gotta find a solution because I'm wincing with every hug and biting my three-year-old's head off every time she uses my chest as a launch pad or rock wall.
I'm 22 and found out 1 year ago I had a pituitary tumor. It was just a small tumor on my pituitary gland but it caused me to have tender breast and discharge, only when i squeezed the nipple. I too did have little bumps around the areola. This is caused because the tumor pushed on the pituitary gland causing me to secrete too much prolactin and produce small amounts of milk. I would check into this if I were you. The test is done by doing an MRI, if it is confirmed, you can either take a pill and try to shrink the tumor (which I did and it worked) or remove the tumor.

Good Luck
I'm 17 almost 18 & for the last few months, my boobs have been soo sore & heavy. Nothing seems to help.
I have Endometriosis which has me taking birth control. I take the depo shot which gives me a period every 3 months. Due to money issues, we haven't been able to afford since we don't have insurance. It's been about 4 months since I had my shot & I still haven't had my period. I don't have sex so I can't be pregnant & I haven't had a change in diet.
I can tell that they're getting bigger but they've always been big.
I have no idea what to do anymore but they're driving me nuts & I don't think I can't take it much longer!

Hopefully we can get some insurance so I can go to the doctor. But If anyone has ANY ideas, that would be soooo wonderful. :)
I've been experiencing swollen and sore breasts after my period  this month (about 1 week after). I have never had this experience before.

I know that caffeine is a factor, and the reason is that caffeine depletes your body of vitamin C and other nutrients. Personally, I have been drinking too much coffee, so I am definitely cutting down. But if you are not a caffeine drinker, it may well be a nutrient deficiency in your diet.  

I am going to get back into the routine of taking my vitamin & mineral green shake DAILY. I believe these symptoms are a big red flag that my body is sending me to watch my diet. We need to feed our cells NUTRIENTS to keep our immune systems strong and keep our self-healing mechanisms strong too.

I highly recommend the documentary Food Matters. It reminded me that knowledge about nutrition is power. :)
I'm no health nut, but I know that simple changes to your diet, like eating more raw food and adding 'superfoods' (spirulina, cacao, buckwheat) can really make a difference!!

If u are drinking or eating any soy products- research their effects & hopefully u will have solved your problem.(after switching to rice milk, etc)
Hi...I have the same problems as all of you girls, swollen tender brests and nipples, I am so scared, had no idea that coffeine intake may cause this...Today I am going to see gyno, so I will post all the answers. This is happening to me for more than 3 months, really painfull PMS, swollen breasts, light period-the last one was more pinkish-browny spotting, after that awfull cramps and pain in l,ower abdomen. So scared, but I will get some answers today.
Hello everyone, I am 23 years old, my tubes were burned about 3 years ago after my 2nd child.  I have had a very regular period since then.  I am now 2 weeks late and have taken pregnancy tests just to be sure but they were negative.  My breasts are enlarged and very tender in fact they are getting to where they are hurting pretty bad.  they are probably at least a cup size or 2 bigger from normal size.  It sounds like there can be so many things wrong that is is very hard to diagnose.  I hate jumping up and going to the Dr. however It is so painful so I might do that today.  Any suggestions for me would be greatly appreciated!
Hi.  It's amazing that this thread has been going since 2006.  My right boob hurts so I thought I would look here for advice and found out how common this problem is yet there seems to be no absolute answer.  I suppose I'll minimize my salt and caffeine intake and see how that goes until after I start my period ,Then go find a Doctor if that persists.
Hi I'm 34 and my boobs are absolutely killing me they have been since bout 3days after my last period. I do suffer with pmt and about a week before my period my boobs ache but not like this. And never after a period. My partner and I don't use precautions as I don't av any eggs I ad fertility tests about 5years ago and they came back I don't ovulate despite having a period every month so I can't b pregnant ... Does anyone av any sugestions or answers please ? Thanku Tammy
You could get a preg test just incase.
I'm 24 and have had tender, larger breasts for maybe 6 weeks now.  My period two cycles ago was a week early (VERY unusual for me, I'm generally like clockwork) and lighter than usual.  My last period was a couple days early but completely normal.  I usually get sensitive boobs just before I start my period, but these have been consistently tender (painful only when squeezed or hugged very strongly).  They are not lumpy and my nipples are not extra sensitive.  I've checked all the links provided here by other ladies and not found them helpful to my symptoms.  
WOW. This just started happening to me, and I was wondering if anyone who has posted found out they were actually pregnant?
same. i just got my period today but my breasts have been hurting more than usual during the week before it came. some ppl wrote that their period only lasted a couple days..that is usually a sign of pregnancy. and i've read that so many ppl bleed while still pregnant. my husband and i had unprotected sex 2 days before my expected period(and it is here now)...could we still get pregnant even if i am bleeding now?
I am 47 and googled to see if other women in late forties are experiencing pms breast pain all month long.....This is new for me and I always have a regular cycle.  Estrogen causes breasts to be painful during pms so I guess my hormones are in flux.  It's good to know that other women my age are going through the same thing and it is probably just hormone imbalance that will correct itself someday.  It is not due to stress as I don't have a stressful lifestyle. and it is not imagined.  Since so many others are experiencing this in their 40's, it is obviously perimenopause.
I have been consuming raw milk on and off from cow, goat, sheep, all with the same results - enlarged and sore breasts accompanied by a weight gain. I have not experienced this with pasteurized products. There are so many benefits to consuming raw milk, but unfortunately it isn't worth all this pain. I can't seem to find any other similar feedback on-line, so I thought I'd post a comment in case somebody else may be in the same boat. BTW, it happens at any time of the month, as long as I'm consuming raw milk products and it takes a couple of months to begin to experience the symptoms. So odd. I wonder if I fall into a small category of women affected by this or if there is a larger group.
Mine have been sore for about 3 weeks. I just got off my period this week so im in great hope that it will go away. But at the same time i have went up to a D in my bra size, and I found a lump im not sure if its just a fat lump or something i need to get looked at. So my best advice to you would be: Do some research and see a doctor. Oh and by the way if you have changed birth control or anything related to that, you could have the things happen that you are talking about. Hope I was some help.
According to my Doctor, this is likely caused by 'estrogen dominance' which by definition is a lack in progesterone.  If you are in your childbearing years, it means you had some sort of glitch that caused you not to ovulate.  It will likely self correct.  However, sometimes it doesn't, but is easily fixed by a physician who works with hormones.  

I would think that if it has gone on for months or years, (as some of these posts indicate), that it might be time to see a doctor that has a specialty in hormones.  I think that this is a specialty that any doctor can hold if they do some extra work in the area, so you may have to ask around.  
I am 50 and have been experiencing swore and swollen breasts on and off for years. I have Polysystic Ovaries which has a side effect of estrogen dominance. I have worked with several naturalpaths and here are some of the tools that have worked for me. I have been on 100ml of oral progesterone for years and still get soar breasts. I found that a product called 'Breast Protect', an over the counter supplement, often worked for me. I have been taking Rhodiola for a while now and find that it really helps with many things like hot flashes and hormone balancing. It has an over-all calming affect. I missed taking it for a few weeks and wound up with soar breasts that wouldn't go away. I found the posts here, including the suggestion to apply cabbage directly to the breasts. I was so sick of being sore I didn't care how silly it sounded. I was amazed how well this worked! Within an afternoon my soreness was gone. I also found that the dry brushing works and the breast lymph nodes are no longer sore. Thanks so much for all your sharing!
I to am experiencing this same problem. Swollen, heavy breasts, with many veins showing around my nipples. I took a pregnancy test and it came back negative. what I want to know is If you have breast tenderness (and are trying to get pregnant) shouldn't a test say you are pregnant, since you have a breast tenderness symptom? confused....any suggestions?
I am 43 and had a partial hysterectomy over 10 yrs ago.  I am having the same breast issues that everyone is describing here.... it is BOTH breasts so I find it highly unlikely that it could be a cyst or even breast cancer it seems odd that it could be either of those when BOTH breasts are effected. Then I thought maybe it was a symptom of menapause (although I do have both ovaries but at my age menapause is not uncommon) But I noticed a lot of posts that say I am 21 or I am 22 so it makes me thing that it isn't menapause, Y'all are too young for that and the symptoms are the same.  I'm really worried! I mentioned it to my dr. he told me to schedule another appt and he will do a breast exam and possibly order a mammogram.  I asked him if it could be from  weight gain but seriously I have not gained THAT much!  My breasts hurt all the time, laying on my stomach is pure agony because the pressure on the breasts increases the pain.  I would really like to know what in the heck this is!  At first I thought I was nuts but after reading everyone's posts here, there is something behind this if so many of us are experiencing the same thing.  
Hi Sam,

I am in my late 40s and just started experiencing this same thing!  I have had my tubes tide for almost 13 years now and my husband has also had a vasectomy.  Not sure what the problem is here, but it sure as me concerned also.  I am surprised by all the women here who are experiencing the same thing.  I am also surprised that someone with a strong medical background has not replied to any of these posts.
Hi jacky. I am 45 and experiencing exactly what you described (almost 2 years ago :/) and am wondering if i should have a mammogram. I hope you read this and can tell me what you learned. best wishes...
I just read through all the rest of these posts. It is reassuring that I am not alone in my symptoms, but I still don't feel like i know what's going on.....estrogen dominance makes a lot of sense, and the idea that we get exposed to a lot of environmental estrogens when we consume animal products (it's call biomagnification). I usually consume only organic meat and dairy products (with the rare exception when i go out), but recently I've slacked off on that a bit because of the cost....now i am wondering if that might be causing these symptoms: For about 3 weeks (since just before my last period) i feel engorged, and it is heavy and painful and my nipples are so tender. I can't wait to get home and take my bra off, but then they just feel heavy and sore :(
Hi Patty did you find out anymore about your symptons. Because im 45 and having the same symptons as yourself. Need i be worried ?
no it would not because i only eat organic food and no meat at all ,,,,,
heavy swollen hard breasts can be hormonal ....infection ....and can last for a few months...dont poke your breasts because you are worried the best thing to do is get a cold cloth and put in your bra.
I have had swollen and very painfull breasts for about a month straight now I have  had it before but only lasts a week or 2 ,seems as time goes on it is getting worst .I am to the point where I do not want to even take my bra off ,I don;t drink pop or coffee I have 3 maybe 4 cups of tea a day ,and I have no peroid I had surgery about 2 1/2 yrs ago ...anyone have any ideas ..
I'm only 19 and my breasts are still in pain, really painful. It had been going on for a week. Had my period two weeks ago. It feels so heavy. Any ideas what it could be? What shall I do to get rid of it cus I can't handle the pain any longer
Thank you! My boobs have been hurting for like a month. Not coincidentally, I had a miscarriage a month ago. No peried yet, but that is apparently not uncommon after miscarriage. So your comment about a "glitch" causing you not to ovulate turned on the light bulb over my head. I guess my body is still struggling to get back to normal. Thanks.
I have painful breasts. I am woundering what it could be. About 5 days after my period ended I got painful breasts. (Usually I get sore nipples that are sore touch. Which disapear when my period starts) I have never had painful beasts before. I not fell any growths or lumps.
Hi there, I also have just sat here and read through the thread. I feel now that like most of the posts I am normal. The stress of it all was getting to much. I am 43 years of age, feeling the same symptom of swollen breasts not subsiding after a period. I have booked in for a mammagram but this will not occur for another 3 weeks. I believe after reading them all that it is hormonal and related to food. I actually noticed after reading the posts a pattern of eating eggs most days over the last 3 weeks which is when the swelling started. I also noted that I was not consistant with my vitamins intake. Has anyone had the same symptoms and the symptoms have subsided? Over what period? Any tips?
Hey, I am 43 and recently the same symptoms were killing me. Heavy, sore breasts, and the problem is that I am wearing D-cup, so those boobs were pulling me into the ground. people say about Primrose Oil. I am not a big believer in supplements (only because they have never seem to sort out my issues), but here I was in despair. I bought this oil and started taking it religiously, but... no help. Sore, heavy boobs.

Then I started analyzing what I am eating and what about my stress. My stress is big and I am constantly living in the state of fear of losing my job, of not being paid, of not being able to find another job, etc, etc, etc. And since a person needs some joy - I was compensating it by eating what I wanted (knowing that it is probably not a good thing). I was eating a lot of dairy (there are hormones in those and they might add to the overall pic), fatty products (though I do not eat junk food). And I was consuming a lot of coffee and chocolat.

1) I cut out all caffeine and suffered from withdrawal. It was a week from hell.
2) I cut out all chocolat, because it does contain caffeine and I can not handle caffeine since I am addicted to it.
And? My boobs were all big and heavy and sore. No relief.

Then I recalled my philosophy: if I will ever get into this I-am-not-sure-what-is-it-but-I feel-depressed-bloated-etc-etc. - before I will go to the doctor for heavy chemical prescription, I will cut out all fats from my diet, all sugars, eat only fruit (in moderation) and drink only water and run 4-5 miles every day. If after a week of this regime I will still be feeling bad, THEN I will consider going to a doctor.

So, I dared to followed my own advice, though idea of running 4-5 miles was scary (i was not exercising for almost a year). I ate only apple and dates throughout the day and I did run 5 miles. Slowly. But I did it.

MY BOOBS ARE NORMAL!!!!!!

This is a harsh solution, but it works. Plus, I feel MUCH better. Well, I feel much better, because my boobs returned to norm.
Since 4 days after my period, I have been having breast pain for the past 9 days. Swollen and painful but akin sepond niplles are not dark and no any other form of pain or changes noticed. What could this be?
I have sore  nipples and sore and swollen breasts all the time for  2 weeks now. i have a Sore back now and then  for a week. Has anyone had the same symptoms? Any tips?  
I had this same issue not long ago and it was due to my estrogen levels being too high.  I had stopped taking my birth control pills since I know longer needed them and my body went crazy and started making tons of estrogen.  It has something to do with estrogen being a binding protein and with the pills the molecules bound together keeping them in check.  But anyway, it might be your estrogen levels so I would as your ob/gyn to do a simple blood test.  Good luck.
i had a miscarriage lastnight

I am experiencing the same thing. Am 42. Did you figure out what it was?

I am a heavy coffee drinker, so I guess that's the first thing to do. Maybe will take some Pamprin and see if that helps. (I love salt as well...)

Missed my mammogram this year and my mom just had breast cancer, but I don't feel any lumps that aren't fairly normal...

Funny how everyone is trying not to 'run to the doctor'...

Anyway, just wondering if you found a solution.

Thanks!
So sorry...
glad i found this..i have the same problem and im 21..
Am 16 n started hair when I was 14 n areas but have not hit puberty yet started to get a little under the arms that's all my sister young they got more under the arms then I do but my boobs is sore hurt but puberty have not yet
Well  im 23 years old and im having the same freakin problem  except ive had this problem for a year now and my dr cant find a reason why  this is happening to me well actually he ignores the problem but my boobs are swollen my bras  dont fit me  i had to go up a cup because of the swollen-ness my sex drive is gone and so much more crap with this problem so if you know how to fix email me plz i beg. ***@****
I thought I was the only one that had this problem it started a few days ago and OMG it is very painful and I have a son and it feels like the months I was pregnant and didn't know it. I am really certain I am not pregnant again. Someone help!!
My breast are very sore not the nipple and my rt side has a pain and I feel like I have to throw up 6dbp
I'm 13 and I have these symptoms.... I was actually really worried, still am actually... I just don't know what it is! I'm too embarrassed to talk to my mom about this...
so did you ever figure out whats going on? For months now 2 days after my peroid my breast will feel heavy and hurt like crazy i can't be pregnant tubes are tied, and it seems the only time they dont hurt and arent huge is when im bleeding> driving me crazy
I am going through this same thing and I only eat home grown meat and it's organic, hormone free. Not sure what I'm dealing with.
i am having the exact problem. i am trying to get pregnant and have been for about 8 years now. i was on the shot when i was 17 but that gave me my period for a year straight so they put me on the pill for a moth and fixed it. still trying to have a baby my periods are always normal and about 4 or 5 days long. i got breast pain 2 weeks before i got my period then i found a lump because my breast were sore. went to the doctor they did an ultrasound and it came back as a benign cyst that burst so they said to re-check in 6 months. my period was over 2 weeks ago. my breast still hurt and i get nauseated randomly and hot cold feelings. my mom had trouble conceiving me but this is weird feeling my nipples hurt and breast are so tender.
This link will help

http://www.m.webmd.com/women/tc/breast-pain-mastalgia-topic-overview

Depending on you age 30- cyClic
30+ Noncyclic
My breasts have been sore for 3 weeks maybe 5 lost track with it to be honest after 2 weeks due to work and kids lol.. am wondering why my breasts r tender and swollen.. I still lactate from my left breast also! :/ my youngest is 7 now I don't leak or anything but I check every so often to see if I am still lactating! And sure enough I am :/ my dr didn't say much bout it but he checked for stuff through blood work and all is normal :/ but the lactating is not my worry wort the tenderness is.. as Mrs Canada's my tenderness goes away the first day of my cycle.. I do drink soda and coffee but its never had any effect on my breasts before.. had my period and am suppose to start again in 5 days..guess its been closer to 6 weeks with the tenderness.. not stressing about pregnancy because I would love that :-).. but all tests say neg! So any ideas as to why my breasts r tender and swollen? Areolas are not darkening so pretty sure its not pregnancy! I have unprotected sex with my husband often as we r not worried about getting pregnant! Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I don't check on here often emailing ur suggestions and ideas would be best den.***@**** thanks a bunch
so true!  I recomend watching Food Inc. also...this brought me around real quick to the truth of the absolutely horrifying things they put in our "food".  Geez what a wake up call.  and I know it's all true, otherwise the film makers would be getting sued for slander, etc...and they are not!~~
hello there! I'm 35 and i experienced the same, i had breast pain for a month straight but im just wondering i had pain in my one side breast, left breast, i went to my gyne doctor, and she said she cant feel any mass and lump, i went back to another Internist doctor and he asked me for breast ultrasound, and it turned out to be negative,... Im so scared to death...
Iv had constant tender breasts for almost 2 weeks now my period ended a week ago im not pregnant as just had a period and I dont drink alot of caffeine and have quite a healthy diet im only 23 what could this be??
I'm a 28 year old woman and my breasts r extremely sore! I haven't had a period since my youngest was 6 months old and he's now 8, I was on birth control then but haven't had that since may last year still haven't had a period would u know y they r so sore?
I AM 28 AND I WAS ON THE DEPO VERA SHOT AND HAVE BEEN OFF FOR A WHILE NO PERIOD YET. MY BREAST WENT UP IN SIZE WHILE PREGNANT AND HAVE NOT GOTTEN SMALLER AND MY YOUNGEST IS TURNING 2. MY BREAST ARE EXTREMELY SORE MY DOCTOR TOLD ME TO QUIT CAFFEINE I ONLY DRINK 1 POP A DAY AND NO CHOCOLATE. ANY ONE HAVE IDEAS I AM THINKING OF TALKING O A BREAST DR
I'm 42 and this is the first time that this has happened to me. I had a strange/light period with unusual cramping, and pms symptoms that didn't ease up once my period begins.

I typically experience strong pms symptoms, intense abdominal pain, abdominal bloating, temporary weight gain (5-10 lbs, probably from water retention), enlarged, painful breasts, moodiness (don't put Bambi on while I am pms-ing, I fall to tears at the thought of watching it!) and gas. What fun.

However, I have always relied on the fact that these symptoms subside when I start my period. I faithfully track my periods, as I feel better knowing that the unpleasantness will end. I am frankly pretty ticked off that this is happening to me.

I am unwilling to go to the doctor because I am sick of being told that because I am a woman, these strange things just happen, and that I am making it all up in my head (or worse, causing it) anyways.

I am thankful that I read this post. I am going to try diet modification, more exercise (although I have been more active these past few months than normal), less caffeine and more water. I am hesitant to take any supplements other than plain old vitamins. I haven't been taking those but heck, I will throw that in as well. My stomach can't tolerate any anti-inflammatory meds as I was on high doses a few years back for another condition... (I seem to have permanently enlarged mediastinal and hilar lymph nodes and tests that show that inflammation is going on somewhere inside but no diagnosis of anything. I have bouts of intense fatigue and joint pain that are ongoing but not related to this).

Thanks to all who took the time to post. I wish that I could find a doctor to have a frank discussion like this with. Hope everyone finds some relief and some answers.
-heather
I just turned 26. I was on the depo shot for almost 8 yrs and have recently switched to the pill. Ive been on it for 2 months now. Recently my breasts have been so sore, and HUGE might I add. Ive noticed my nipples have been very itchy as well. I dont know what the problem is. My breasts have been so sore that its all I can do to wear a bra. Any help?
I've been on the depo for a year come of it last month I sometimes get period like pain in the morning and it goes still no period. My breast have been very sore lately and are bigger, I now and then get belly cramps been more sensitive then usual and tired I have had unpretected sex with my bf but also done a pregnancy test the other day which come back negative so if any one could give me answers I'd very much appreciate it?
i also have really really sore boobs the left one is a little bigger than the right but it is also more painfull my sisters have PCOS but i have never been tested but i have the same symptoms so assume i have too! i have really irregular periods but the past 2 months i believ them to be " sorting themselves out "
my bras no longer fit and it hurts to turn around sometimes im so worried! :(
my breast is so soar i havent had a period since last year in may of 2013 i have been going thru menepause so i dont understand why this is still happening can u help?