Heavy, swollen, painful breasts, not pms
Wow - my first question.
Wondering if anyone has experience with heavy swollen and painful breasts, AFTER your period? My period ended a few days ago yet the pms-type breast symptoms have not gone away (they usually disappear when my period starts). I do not feel any lumps or growths, wondering what this could possibly be? Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks!
same. i just got my period today but my breasts have been hurting more than usual during the week before it came. some ppl wrote that their period only lasted a couple days..that is usually a sign of pregnancy. and i've read that so many ppl bleed while still pregnant. my husband and i had unprotected sex 2 days before my expected period(and it is here now)...could we still get pregnant even if i am bleeding now?
I am 47 and googled to see if other women in late forties are experiencing pms breast pain all month long.....This is new for me and I always have a regular cycle.  Estrogen causes breasts to be painful during pms so I guess my hormones are in flux.  It's good to know that other women my age are going through the same thing and it is probably just hormone imbalance that will correct itself someday.  It is not due to stress as I don't have a stressful lifestyle. and it is not imagined.  Since so many others are experiencing this in their 40's, it is obviously perimenopause.
I have been consuming raw milk on and off from cow, goat, sheep, all with the same results - enlarged and sore breasts accompanied by a weight gain. I have not experienced this with pasteurized products. There are so many benefits to consuming raw milk, but unfortunately it isn't worth all this pain. I can't seem to find any other similar feedback on-line, so I thought I'd post a comment in case somebody else may be in the same boat. BTW, it happens at any time of the month, as long as I'm consuming raw milk products and it takes a couple of months to begin to experience the symptoms. So odd. I wonder if I fall into a small category of women affected by this or if there is a larger group.
Mine have been sore for about 3 weeks. I just got off my period this week so im in great hope that it will go away. But at the same time i have went up to a D in my bra size, and I found a lump im not sure if its just a fat lump or something i need to get looked at. So my best advice to you would be: Do some research and see a doctor. Oh and by the way if you have changed birth control or anything related to that, you could have the things happen that you are talking about. Hope I was some help.
According to my Doctor, this is likely caused by 'estrogen dominance' which by definition is a lack in progesterone.  If you are in your childbearing years, it means you had some sort of glitch that caused you not to ovulate.  It will likely self correct.  However, sometimes it doesn't, but is easily fixed by a physician who works with hormones.  

I would think that if it has gone on for months or years, (as some of these posts indicate), that it might be time to see a doctor that has a specialty in hormones.  I think that this is a specialty that any doctor can hold if they do some extra work in the area, so you may have to ask around.  
I am 50 and have been experiencing swore and swollen breasts on and off for years. I have Polysystic Ovaries which has a side effect of estrogen dominance. I have worked with several naturalpaths and here are some of the tools that have worked for me. I have been on 100ml of oral progesterone for years and still get soar breasts. I found that a product called 'Breast Protect', an over the counter supplement, often worked for me. I have been taking Rhodiola for a while now and find that it really helps with many things like hot flashes and hormone balancing. It has an over-all calming affect. I missed taking it for a few weeks and wound up with soar breasts that wouldn't go away. I found the posts here, including the suggestion to apply cabbage directly to the breasts. I was so sick of being sore I didn't care how silly it sounded. I was amazed how well this worked! Within an afternoon my soreness was gone. I also found that the dry brushing works and the breast lymph nodes are no longer sore. Thanks so much for all your sharing!
I to am experiencing this same problem. Swollen, heavy breasts, with many veins showing around my nipples. I took a pregnancy test and it came back negative. what I want to know is If you have breast tenderness (and are trying to get pregnant) shouldn't a test say you are pregnant, since you have a breast tenderness symptom? confused....any suggestions?
I am 43 and had a partial hysterectomy over 10 yrs ago.  I am having the same breast issues that everyone is describing here.... it is BOTH breasts so I find it highly unlikely that it could be a cyst or even breast cancer it seems odd that it could be either of those when BOTH breasts are effected. Then I thought maybe it was a symptom of menapause (although I do have both ovaries but at my age menapause is not uncommon) But I noticed a lot of posts that say I am 21 or I am 22 so it makes me thing that it isn't menapause, Y'all are too young for that and the symptoms are the same.  I'm really worried! I mentioned it to my dr. he told me to schedule another appt and he will do a breast exam and possibly order a mammogram.  I asked him if it could be from  weight gain but seriously I have not gained THAT much!  My breasts hurt all the time, laying on my stomach is pure agony because the pressure on the breasts increases the pain.  I would really like to know what in the heck this is!  At first I thought I was nuts but after reading everyone's posts here, there is something behind this if so many of us are experiencing the same thing.  
Hi Sam,

I am in my late 40s and just started experiencing this same thing!  I have had my tubes tide for almost 13 years now and my husband has also had a vasectomy.  Not sure what the problem is here, but it sure as me concerned also.  I am surprised by all the women here who are experiencing the same thing.  I am also surprised that someone with a strong medical background has not replied to any of these posts.
Hi jacky. I am 45 and experiencing exactly what you described (almost 2 years ago :/) and am wondering if i should have a mammogram. I hope you read this and can tell me what you learned. best wishes...
I just read through all the rest of these posts. It is reassuring that I am not alone in my symptoms, but I still don't feel like i know what's going on.....estrogen dominance makes a lot of sense, and the idea that we get exposed to a lot of environmental estrogens when we consume animal products (it's call biomagnification). I usually consume only organic meat and dairy products (with the rare exception when i go out), but recently I've slacked off on that a bit because of the cost....now i am wondering if that might be causing these symptoms: For about 3 weeks (since just before my last period) i feel engorged, and it is heavy and painful and my nipples are so tender. I can't wait to get home and take my bra off, but then they just feel heavy and sore :(
Hi Patty did you find out anymore about your symptons. Because im 45 and having the same symptons as yourself. Need i be worried ?
no it would not because i only eat organic food and no meat at all ,,,,,
heavy swollen hard breasts can be hormonal ....infection ....and can last for a few months...dont poke your breasts because you are worried the best thing to do is get a cold cloth and put in your bra.
I have had swollen and very painfull breasts for about a month straight now I have  had it before but only lasts a week or 2 ,seems as time goes on it is getting worst .I am to the point where I do not want to even take my bra off ,I don;t drink pop or coffee I have 3 maybe 4 cups of tea a day ,and I have no peroid I had surgery about 2 1/2 yrs ago ...anyone have any ideas ..
I'm only 19 and my breasts are still in pain, really painful. It had been going on for a week. Had my period two weeks ago. It feels so heavy. Any ideas what it could be? What shall I do to get rid of it cus I can't handle the pain any longer
Thank you! My boobs have been hurting for like a month. Not coincidentally, I had a miscarriage a month ago. No peried yet, but that is apparently not uncommon after miscarriage. So your comment about a "glitch" causing you not to ovulate turned on the light bulb over my head. I guess my body is still struggling to get back to normal. Thanks.
I have painful breasts. I am woundering what it could be. About 5 days after my period ended I got painful breasts. (Usually I get sore nipples that are sore touch. Which disapear when my period starts) I have never had painful beasts before. I not fell any growths or lumps.
Hi there, I also have just sat here and read through the thread. I feel now that like most of the posts I am normal. The stress of it all was getting to much. I am 43 years of age, feeling the same symptom of swollen breasts not subsiding after a period. I have booked in for a mammagram but this will not occur for another 3 weeks. I believe after reading them all that it is hormonal and related to food. I actually noticed after reading the posts a pattern of eating eggs most days over the last 3 weeks which is when the swelling started. I also noted that I was not consistant with my vitamins intake. Has anyone had the same symptoms and the symptoms have subsided? Over what period? Any tips?
Hey, I am 43 and recently the same symptoms were killing me. Heavy, sore breasts, and the problem is that I am wearing D-cup, so those boobs were pulling me into the ground. people say about Primrose Oil. I am not a big believer in supplements (only because they have never seem to sort out my issues), but here I was in despair. I bought this oil and started taking it religiously, but... no help. Sore, heavy boobs.

Then I started analyzing what I am eating and what about my stress. My stress is big and I am constantly living in the state of fear of losing my job, of not being paid, of not being able to find another job, etc, etc, etc. And since a person needs some joy - I was compensating it by eating what I wanted (knowing that it is probably not a good thing). I was eating a lot of dairy (there are hormones in those and they might add to the overall pic), fatty products (though I do not eat junk food). And I was consuming a lot of coffee and chocolat.

1) I cut out all caffeine and suffered from withdrawal. It was a week from hell.
2) I cut out all chocolat, because it does contain caffeine and I can not handle caffeine since I am addicted to it.
And? My boobs were all big and heavy and sore. No relief.

Then I recalled my philosophy: if I will ever get into this I-am-not-sure-what-is-it-but-I feel-depressed-bloated-etc-etc. - before I will go to the doctor for heavy chemical prescription, I will cut out all fats from my diet, all sugars, eat only fruit (in moderation) and drink only water and run 4-5 miles every day. If after a week of this regime I will still be feeling bad, THEN I will consider going to a doctor.

So, I dared to followed my own advice, though idea of running 4-5 miles was scary (i was not exercising for almost a year). I ate only apple and dates throughout the day and I did run 5 miles. Slowly. But I did it.

MY BOOBS ARE NORMAL!!!!!!

This is a harsh solution, but it works. Plus, I feel MUCH better. Well, I feel much better, because my boobs returned to norm.
Since 4 days after my period, I have been having breast pain for the past 9 days. Swollen and painful but akin sepond niplles are not dark and no any other form of pain or changes noticed. What could this be?
I have sore  nipples and sore and swollen breasts all the time for  2 weeks now. i have a Sore back now and then  for a week. Has anyone had the same symptoms? Any tips?  
I had this same issue not long ago and it was due to my estrogen levels being too high.  I had stopped taking my birth control pills since I know longer needed them and my body went crazy and started making tons of estrogen.  It has something to do with estrogen being a binding protein and with the pills the molecules bound together keeping them in check.  But anyway, it might be your estrogen levels so I would as your ob/gyn to do a simple blood test.  Good luck.
i had a miscarriage lastnight

I am experiencing the same thing. Am 42. Did you figure out what it was?

I am a heavy coffee drinker, so I guess that's the first thing to do. Maybe will take some Pamprin and see if that helps. (I love salt as well...)

Missed my mammogram this year and my mom just had breast cancer, but I don't feel any lumps that aren't fairly normal...

Funny how everyone is trying not to 'run to the doctor'...

Anyway, just wondering if you found a solution.

Thanks!
So sorry...
glad i found this..i have the same problem and im 21..
Am 16 n started hair when I was 14 n areas but have not hit puberty yet started to get a little under the arms that's all my sister young they got more under the arms then I do but my boobs is sore hurt but puberty have not yet
Well  im 23 years old and im having the same freakin problem  except ive had this problem for a year now and my dr cant find a reason why  this is happening to me well actually he ignores the problem but my boobs are swollen my bras  dont fit me  i had to go up a cup because of the swollen-ness my sex drive is gone and so much more crap with this problem so if you know how to fix email me plz i beg. ***@****
I thought I was the only one that had this problem it started a few days ago and OMG it is very painful and I have a son and it feels like the months I was pregnant and didn't know it. I am really certain I am not pregnant again. Someone help!!
My breast are very sore not the nipple and my rt side has a pain and I feel like I have to throw up 6dbp
I'm 13 and I have these symptoms.... I was actually really worried, still am actually... I just don't know what it is! I'm too embarrassed to talk to my mom about this...
so did you ever figure out whats going on? For months now 2 days after my peroid my breast will feel heavy and hurt like crazy i can't be pregnant tubes are tied, and it seems the only time they dont hurt and arent huge is when im bleeding> driving me crazy
I am going through this same thing and I only eat home grown meat and it's organic, hormone free. Not sure what I'm dealing with.
i am having the exact problem. i am trying to get pregnant and have been for about 8 years now. i was on the shot when i was 17 but that gave me my period for a year straight so they put me on the pill for a moth and fixed it. still trying to have a baby my periods are always normal and about 4 or 5 days long. i got breast pain 2 weeks before i got my period then i found a lump because my breast were sore. went to the doctor they did an ultrasound and it came back as a benign cyst that burst so they said to re-check in 6 months. my period was over 2 weeks ago. my breast still hurt and i get nauseated randomly and hot cold feelings. my mom had trouble conceiving me but this is weird feeling my nipples hurt and breast are so tender.
This link will help

http://www.m.webmd.com/women/tc/breast-pain-mastalgia-topic-overview

Depending on you age 30- cyClic
30+ Noncyclic
My breasts have been sore for 3 weeks maybe 5 lost track with it to be honest after 2 weeks due to work and kids lol.. am wondering why my breasts r tender and swollen.. I still lactate from my left breast also! :/ my youngest is 7 now I don't leak or anything but I check every so often to see if I am still lactating! And sure enough I am :/ my dr didn't say much bout it but he checked for stuff through blood work and all is normal :/ but the lactating is not my worry wort the tenderness is.. as Mrs Canada's my tenderness goes away the first day of my cycle.. I do drink soda and coffee but its never had any effect on my breasts before.. had my period and am suppose to start again in 5 days..guess its been closer to 6 weeks with the tenderness.. not stressing about pregnancy because I would love that :-).. but all tests say neg! So any ideas as to why my breasts r tender and swollen? Areolas are not darkening so pretty sure its not pregnancy! I have unprotected sex with my husband often as we r not worried about getting pregnant! Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I don't check on here often emailing ur suggestions and ideas would be best den.***@**** thanks a bunch
Hello, i have been having the same issue but with more symptoms like headache, nausea, lightheaded and the urge to vomit, took a test which shows negative because i know i had unprotected sex so I'm thinking that i might be pregnant but had negative results am confused. Help needed.
so true!  I recomend watching Food Inc. also...this brought me around real quick to the truth of the absolutely horrifying things they put in our "food".  Geez what a wake up call.  and I know it's all true, otherwise the film makers would be getting sued for slander, etc...and they are not!~~
hello there! I'm 35 and i experienced the same, i had breast pain for a month straight but im just wondering i had pain in my one side breast, left breast, i went to my gyne doctor, and she said she cant feel any mass and lump, i went back to another Internist doctor and he asked me for breast ultrasound, and it turned out to be negative,... Im so scared to death...
Iv had constant tender breasts for almost 2 weeks now my period ended a week ago im not pregnant as just had a period and I dont drink alot of caffeine and have quite a healthy diet im only 23 what could this be??
I'm a 28 year old woman and my breasts r extremely sore! I haven't had a period since my youngest was 6 months old and he's now 8, I was on birth control then but haven't had that since may last year still haven't had a period would u know y they r so sore?
I AM 28 AND I WAS ON THE DEPO VERA SHOT AND HAVE BEEN OFF FOR A WHILE NO PERIOD YET. MY BREAST WENT UP IN SIZE WHILE PREGNANT AND HAVE NOT GOTTEN SMALLER AND MY YOUNGEST IS TURNING 2. MY BREAST ARE EXTREMELY SORE MY DOCTOR TOLD ME TO QUIT CAFFEINE I ONLY DRINK 1 POP A DAY AND NO CHOCOLATE. ANY ONE HAVE IDEAS I AM THINKING OF TALKING O A BREAST DR
I'm 42 and this is the first time that this has happened to me. I had a strange/light period with unusual cramping, and pms symptoms that didn't ease up once my period begins.

I typically experience strong pms symptoms, intense abdominal pain, abdominal bloating, temporary weight gain (5-10 lbs, probably from water retention), enlarged, painful breasts, moodiness (don't put Bambi on while I am pms-ing, I fall to tears at the thought of watching it!) and gas. What fun.

However, I have always relied on the fact that these symptoms subside when I start my period. I faithfully track my periods, as I feel better knowing that the unpleasantness will end. I am frankly pretty ticked off that this is happening to me.

I am unwilling to go to the doctor because I am sick of being told that because I am a woman, these strange things just happen, and that I am making it all up in my head (or worse, causing it) anyways.

I am thankful that I read this post. I am going to try diet modification, more exercise (although I have been more active these past few months than normal), less caffeine and more water. I am hesitant to take any supplements other than plain old vitamins. I haven't been taking those but heck, I will throw that in as well. My stomach can't tolerate any anti-inflammatory meds as I was on high doses a few years back for another condition... (I seem to have permanently enlarged mediastinal and hilar lymph nodes and tests that show that inflammation is going on somewhere inside but no diagnosis of anything. I have bouts of intense fatigue and joint pain that are ongoing but not related to this).

Thanks to all who took the time to post. I wish that I could find a doctor to have a frank discussion like this with. Hope everyone finds some relief and some answers.
-heather
I just turned 26. I was on the depo shot for almost 8 yrs and have recently switched to the pill. Ive been on it for 2 months now. Recently my breasts have been so sore, and HUGE might I add. Ive noticed my nipples have been very itchy as well. I dont know what the problem is. My breasts have been so sore that its all I can do to wear a bra. Any help?
I've been on the depo for a year come of it last month I sometimes get period like pain in the morning and it goes still no period. My breast have been very sore lately and are bigger, I now and then get belly cramps been more sensitive then usual and tired I have had unpretected sex with my bf but also done a pregnancy test the other day which come back negative so if any one could give me answers I'd very much appreciate it?
i also have really really sore boobs the left one is a little bigger than the right but it is also more painfull my sisters have PCOS but i have never been tested but i have the same symptoms so assume i have too! i have really irregular periods but the past 2 months i believ them to be " sorting themselves out "
my bras no longer fit and it hurts to turn around sometimes im so worried! :(
my breast is so soar i havent had a period since last year in may of 2013 i have been going thru menepause so i dont understand why this is still happening can u help?
I am 20 years old and am experiencing the same symptoms. My period ended about 2 maybe 3 weeks ago but it was lighter than normal and my breasts just keep swelling and getting more painful. I don't think I am pregnant BC as I stated Ihad my period a while ago. I have been tested for PCOS and everything has came back fine. I just hope someone knows what the cause is because Iccan't take this anymore! I have no insurance and plus the doctors where I live don't really like to help people unless they are getting paid. My diet and caffeine consumption hasn't changed either :/
I have pcos and I've NEVER had sore/swollen breast before a till now, I have really bad pain in my lower pelvic, sides and my lower back but my doctor said those aren't the sides of PCOS cause I have sore/swollen breast and I've had my period already and had to stop it with provea cause it went for 3 weeks. But I am just letting everyone know that I have PCOS and I've NEVER had sore/swollen breast a till now cause I went to the hospital with pelvic pain etc and they told me i'm NOT pregnant but at the same time ive never had this much pain. What do you guys think?