Heavy Period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Heavy Period

Typically I am a healthy (overwieght) 41 year old with children - no problems with pregnancy/childbirth.

This period is very heavy where sometimes the flow just gushes and includes a very large (ping pong ball sized) clot or more than one.  This even woke me up last night and I barely made it to the bathroom on time.  Past periods have been heavy and even sometimes painful but never with such large clots or unpredictable flow.  There is very little cramping with this period, which is also unusual. Also, it is about 1 week early.

Just concerned, or should I be?  Is this just another step towards pre-menopause?
HI STELLA IT MIGHT BE A STEP CLOSER TO MENOPAUSE OR SOME THING ELSE YOU MIGHT NEED TO HAVE CHECKED OUT.YOU HAVE TO BE MORE CAREFUL WHEN YOUR PERIODS START ACTING UP,AND THERE IS MORE BLEEDING WITH THEM,AND LARGE CLOTS.YOU NEED TO SEE YOUR GYNECOLOGIST,AND HAVE IT CHECKED OUT JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE OF THINGS.BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY I ALL WAYS.MAKE AN APPOINTMENT TOMORROW AND GO ON AND GET IT CHECKED OUT O.K.TAKE CARE OF YOUR SELF.TNT406
I'm 35 with 5 children. Married 18 years. After many different problems throughout the years I do know that my doc always told me that anytime I had a clot bigger than a quarter should be reported to him. A Ping Pong ball is bigger than a quarter and you should get checked out. Probably nothing serious but who wants to deal with that and the worry. Just to be on the safe side. Good Luck!
Hello Stella ! I know how you feel i am in the same boat. I am only 26 but that shouldn't make a difference i wouldn't think. Ever since i've had my tubes tied two years ago my periods have been heavy to the point your afraid to leave your house because you might have an accident. I have to wear overnight pads on a daily basis and even they don't hold enough. I also every time i use the bathroom have big bllod clots about the size of a ping pong ball. I hate it ebcause i can't do anything for like three days or so till it lightens up.I have told my gp and gyno about this and they say it's normal which i think is bull. They just suggest going on the pill. that seems to be the answer for all my womanly problems. I would check it out with your doc though. IF they tell you anything other than the pill post back maybe i can suggest it to my doc. GOod luck hon.
I am 44 and have had a problem with my periods since I had my tubes tied about 8 years ago. I finally went to my GYN and she suggested I have the "thermaChoice" surgery. Let me tell you!!!! That was the best thing I ever did!!  I used to have very heavy periods, huge clots (bigger than a ping pong ball) and bleed for weeks at a time. I could not even use tampons any more. At night I used depends!! (once) Now since this "baloon surgery" I have not had a period in 1 1/2 years!! they also refer to this surgery as an alternitive to a hystorectomy. The surgery is painless (they put you out) the next day I was fine. The surgery burns out the lining of your uterus so you will NOT be able to have kids. If I had know all this I would have done this instead of having my tubes tied. If your having a problem you should look into this. My insurance covered it. Hope this helps. Terri
I am 28 and had my tubes tied 7 years ago, and my periods or heavy for 3 days with doubled over cramps. I take so much Ibuprophen just to get rid of the pain. I cry over EVERYTHING!  When I am on my cycle and they are about 3 weeks and 4 days - 4 weeks apart.  What should I do?

Sincerly,

Heather