Heavy menistration with lots of large blood clots
I'm 45 and i'm a smoker. For the past year my monthly period has been very heavy passing lots of large blood clots.  It had, for a couple of months slowed down with the clots, but this month is ridiculous. I'm now on my 12th day and still passing blood clots bigger than golf balls. There is no pain involved and i've never had any cramping, not younger nor at the age I am.  I was thinking the clotting was the lining and i'd probably be period free before long. However, over the past 12 days i've passed enough clots for about 5 linings. I've not had a checkup in 10 years, although I have insurance.  I'm not one who likes going to the doctor unless it's absolutely necessary, even then I'd like to know all I can about my situation so I can know what to ask and expect from the doctor.
How are you? Prolonged and heavy menstruation may be attributed to a variety of issues such as  changes in hormone levels,  gynecological conditions such as dysfunctional uterine bleeding,  uterine polyps or fibroids; medical conditions such as thyroid and pituitary disorders or diabetes; pregnancy complications, medication side effect, infection, stress, change in diet or exercise routine, recent weight loss or weight gain, travel, or illness. If it has been 12 days already and still heavy, it is best that you have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Direct physical examination and additional tests may need to be done to determine the underlying cause. Take care and do keep us posted.