Help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Help

1month late but a very very very light line on the pregnancy test that I did does that mean I'm pregnant or what is going on
Hi!
Usually the test line is as dark as the control line. So in a home urine test both lines are of same color. A lighter line is usually a false positive test. False positive tests are seen if the method for testing is not done properly, the test is read after the stipulated time or a test left in open that can show urine evaporation lines.
However, since you are a month late, take a blood test for HCG estimation. suggest you get quantitative HCG estimation is blood at 48 hours intervals. If the levels are negative at the first test, then you will get your periods sometime soon (however you may need to take medication for it). If the levels are positive on first test and drop on the second test, it is likely to be a miscarriage. If the levels are positive and doubling on the second test, it is a confirmed pregnancy.
If you are not pregnant then and you do not get your periods then other causes of delayed or missed periods will have to be looked at such as ectopics (can give negative urine/HCG tests), stress whether emotional or physical, hypothyroidism, polycystic disease of the ovary, pituitary tumors secreting prolactin, anemia and poor diet, hormonal imbalance, unexplained or sudden weight gain or weight loss. You will need to consult a gynecologist for this. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
False positive pregnancy test can be due to faulty technique or expired kit usage, certain medications such as phenothiazine, hcG therapy. Certain medical condition though rare can cause false positive test such as choriocarcinoma, ovarian cancer etc. The best way to eliminate these possibilities is to do serum pregnancy test and ultrasound.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.