Help!!.....Can you take a oxycodone 5 325 mg tab after taking a morphin...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Help!!.....Can you take a oxycodone 5 325 mg tab after taking a morphine 15 mg?

I have been taking 2 oxycodone 5 325 mg tabs 3 times daily for about a year for a herniated l-5 disc in my back after my back surgery failed.  Nothing else my doc has givin me has worked. Yesterday he said he wants to change my meds to morphine 15 mg tabs where i only take 2 tabs daily. Today I took the morphine and I am in so much pain I dont know what to do. How long do I have to wait to take a oxy tab after taking the morphine? I hurt so bad I cant stand it.
Honey, your doctor is the only person who should advise you on this.  Those are strong opiates and you just don't want to mess around.
all i can say is that they are both morphine based drugs that you are taking
Call you local pharmacy and the pharmacist will be able to advise you on that.
I'm glad to see you got the answer you needed from the Doc. Believe me, I feel your pain. I also suffer from Failed Back Surgery (L4-L5) and it took over a year to find a medication that worked. The Morphine was also a joke in my case as well. And I was allergic to that patch that they also try to give you. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Sounds like the Oxy was working for you and it is odd that they would try something new when you were already (relatively) happy with the meds you were on. I will also suggest that if you are having breakthrough pain in between doses, you can ask for something to help with that as well. I know how horrible it is to be stuck. Stuck in a body that is in constant pain and constantly looking for any relief, if only for a little while.
Just tell your Doc next time he tries to change things around that you would rather not take anymore chances. To leave well enough alone.
I am really sorry you are in this boat but at the same time it is kind of nice to see I am not in the boat alone.
Hope you are feeling a little better now.
--J
i TALKED TO MY DOC AND SHE SAID IT WAS FINE TO TAKE THE OXYCODONE IF THE MORPHINE WAS'NT WORKING. tHE MORPHINE ONLY WORKED AS A WATER PILL TO MAKE ME GO TO THE BATHROOM EVERY 10 MINUTES.
I was going to say the same thing!  If you can't reach your Dr., who is the best one to talk with, call your pharmacist and they can advice you on this as well.  You still need to call your Dr. ASAP and let them know that you are in alot of pain though.  Good luck.
I also was given morphine and percocette for back painbut the side effects from the morphine was terrible.(constipation)so bad that I  fractured a rib trying to go to the bathroom.But my doctors told me that I could take both at the same time for 1 month.Thenn my pain management doctor wantede to take me off the percocette and put me on morphine only.I said no way!!! I am still on 8 pills a days 5/325 and the pain is bearable but not gone.