Horrible reaction to Monistat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Viewing 201-349 comments:
I only wish that I had read this forum before I used Monistat 1. I had a yeast infection and needed RELIEF! I went with the intentions of buying vagisil but they were all out! Then I look up and see Monistat 1 and thought only  1 dose - I can do this! BIG MISTAKE! I was awakened just 3 hours later (2am) with INTENSE burning so bad that I would rather claw my eye balls out! The burning is excruciating and I feel swollen! I am going to try the summers eve douche to get this out of me and pray that it works. I can't believe that something like this is on the shelves! This needs to be taken off the market and fast!
Oh how I wish I had read this yesterday.  I am SO swollen and near tears over the pain.  I have bleeding cracks and I have never been this swollen.  I thought I had used this before,  maybe I had,  but this has to be an allergic reaction.  I am going to have to call in to work,  I can't manage this pain and all I can do is lie down,  walking is terrible.....

Monistat 1 = horrible stuff.
i used miconazole7 for 3 day befor i noticed it was making me very red around the entrance and a little on my lips is this normal???????
yesterday was my last day using it its till kinda red how long would this take to go away?
has  any experienced this redness??
freaking out!
How do I file a complaint? This is my first ever use and I am in tears...dear Lord who would approve this??? The burning is spreading, how do I get rid of it??
I'm in hell right now... so much pain from Monistat 3!!!  This product ***** and I can't even breathe it hurts so bad!!!
Believed I was starting to get a yeast infection. Decided to be proactive and purchased Monistat 3. First day figured the burning/itching was from the infection. Here I am tonight googling for information as the burning and itching is unbearable. I'm  Following the advice someone has given to try and push most out and use a tampon to absorb the rest. Will be following up with rinsing in the shower and a cold washcloth. First thing in the morning I will be calling my doctor. horrific is the best adjective to describe this.
Had a YI due to a C-section and the nurses/drs left the huge tape on my belly too long causing blisters.  They prescribed me fluconazole (oral med)which after the 1st dose caused a rash to break out over my whole body. I discontinued, called the dr and they saw me the next day and gave me an antihistamine med.  It isn't working that well, the rash is still here and the 2nd med hasn't stopped the itching for the full 6 hours it is supposed to last.  They did prescribe a cream that is usually for vaginal YI but said I can put on the blisters by my C-section.  I don't want to start it until the rash from the first med is cleared up and maybe not at all since I'm afraid it will cause another allergic reaction.  Should I go to the ER or a skin doctor to try to clear up the rash?  I think part of the infection near my C-section is clearing up, but am not sure what else to do?  Have been keeping it clean and dry since I found out.
I've been having mild yeast infection symptoms for the past week (related to taking Augmentin), hoping they would go away on their own, but finally broke down and forked over the $20 for Monistat 1 day (CVS generic).  About 1-2 hours later I had INTENSE burning that only continued to get worse.  I ended up shoving a plastic bag with ice in my crotch, with only minimal relief, and then tried a heating pad, with even less relief.  I decided to look online to see about how long this so called "mild increase in burning" (per the montistat pamplet... mild my ***) would go away.  That's when I came across this website.  Seriously, what the hell?!  I was reluctant to try and scoop the cream out of my vag, because I wanted to cure the yeast infection and didn't want this pain to all be for nothing.  After reading over this thread, I gave in and decided to scoop the crap out before my allergic reaction got even worse.  I just got out of bath where I am hoping I got most everything out, and am writing this with an ice bag once again wedged in between my labia.  So much for being of sound mind to prepare for the biggest interview of my life tomorrow. Sigh. I just can't believe how prevalent this reaction is without any sort of warning on the label! That could have saved a lot of us a lot of grief...
So, does anyone know whether the 2 hours this awful stuff was wedged inside me will be enough to get rid of the yeast infection? Wishful thinking I'm guessing.....
Please read this warning and spread the word.....
I am currently a thirty eight year old married mother of three.  I am also eighteen weeks pregnant and on bed rest due to my pregnancy being high risk.  My husband had to rush me to the hospital on 6/30/12 due to unexplained pelvic pain and the doctor diagnosed me with a severe yeast infection.  I was prescribed Diflucin in pill form to be taken once.  After speaking with my regular OB he advised me not to take Diflucan because it was dangerous to pregnant women but to go and purchase Monistat.  I checked my medicine cabinet and came across a brand new unopened box of Monistat 3 Expiration Date 01/2013,Lot # 0401DW that I purchased in March to have in case it was needed.  I used one pre-packed pre-measured individually wrapped application on the evening of 7/1/12 before bed and thought it was a coincidence that I began to feel as if my flesh was crawling.  I was exhausted so I just pushed passed the aggravation and tried to sleep.

I woke up the following morning on 7/2/12 feeling as if my vaginal area was on fire.  Please keep in mind that when I went to the ER I was not aware of a yeast infection and I was not experiencing any discomfort.  I dealt with the discomfort all day but by around 2 a.m on 7/3/12 I could no longer take the pain.  I examined myself in a mirror and noticed I was red,swollen and inflamed beyond belief.  I considered returning to the ER but my husband is away at school all week and I would have had an issue getting home from the ER.   I was very distrait and in extreme pain so I decided to try a feminine douche (not safe to do while pregnant) and felt quite a bit of relief instantly although I still have slight discomfort.

After showering and laying in bed I decided to Google side affects of Monistat 3 and was shocked to find so many post with women discussing the exact same thing that happened to me.  The website is http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Womens-Health/Horrible-reaction-to-Monistat/show/432626. I included the link to the site so you ca.n be aware that other women have experienced similar issues.  One of the women on the site suggested I contact the FDA and this is why I have contacted you.

Please contact the FDA about this  product to have it recalled immediately and re-tested for it's safeness if you have experienced this.  I am going to make an appointment with my Ob in the morning because I fear that Monistat 3 may have affected my unborn child and I am very nervous about it.
I hope you and baby are OK! If you are going through this alone and pregnant - you must be made of iron!
It is 3:30 am and I have been in agony after inserting 1 Equate Miconazole 3 ovules! I inserted at midnight and within an hour it was burning so bad - like having a bar of soap in my eye - only it is my Labia&Vagina! I re read the information that came in the box and it says "While side effects are rare, sometimes a temporary increase in redness, itching or burning can occur at the start of treatment..." WELL I am amazed that anyone would ever make a product like this! I am in Canada, and think Health Canada should stop the sale of this product!
I intend to see my Doctor tomorrow morning, and once well start writing. I got into the shower and used the pulse on the hand shower to douch as much as i could out - i got the glob that was partly empty out with a finger. THEN  I took 2 Benadryl.
The 187763775557 is only available monday through friday from 8:30am-4:30 pm (So i guess they hope we will either forget about this by morning or only insert during office hours!)
Some of the useless information on other sites were to insist that you MUST use this product until gone or risk creating RESISTANT Yeast.
I think from now on I will use the time tested Vinegar water douch and YOGURT on a tampon...
I also have had terrible allergic reactions to Monistat (had to go to the ER with hives, swollen ears, eyes and lips with a bluish tint).

Currently, I have a fungal infection of the foot caused by having to bind my broken toe (with stitches) to my other toes. My question is: Since a yeast infection is also fungal infection, is it dangerous to use fungal cream if one is allergic to Monistat (don't want to go into anaphylactic shock)?
I haven't had a yeast infection in over ten years but recently got one, I know I used monistat in the past with no problems, but OMG!!  I used the 1 day.  I woke up in the middle of the night in intense pain and burning and itching.  It finally went away but it's been three weeks since I used it and I am still having problems during sex.  It hurts, burns, and itches every time I have sex.  Please anyone what should I do? Is it the 1 day that was too strong?  Do I try the 7 day and my sex life returns to pre monistat days!!! My poor husband!!?
I am 47yo who got a yeast infection following a UTI. I used Monistat 3 and had a TERRIBLE reaction. I inserted at bedtime and had burning and lower abdominal pain but thought my yeast infection was just raging. I continued to use the product same feeling all three nights horrible burning and lower abdominal pain. By Monday morning (after 3 nights of use) I felt like someone had TORCHED my VAGINA! I called my doctor spoke to a nurse and got Diflucon. SEX out of question! By Wednesday thought I was better so attempted to have relations with my husband he could not even penetrate the pain was HORRIBLE! I called doctor again saw the practitioner after examination she said I've had a reaction to the Monistat and to never use the product again! I have been back to doctor 2 additional times with continued pain and irritation. It's been two months and I'm still not better. Sex is still out of the question it's VERY PAINFUL! Women do not ever use this product it should be taken off the market!!!!!
I cant find the FB page....is it still there?
I've had the same reaction as all of you ladies. Its been 2 days and I'm starting to feel better after washing it out and using benadryl.
Can anyone tell me if it IS something we should go to our dr for (the reaction) -or does it get better on its own...?  Anyone still have a weird discharge?
I'm heading to Walmart today to try AZO Yeast, a friend just told me she uses that and a probiotic to help her yeast infections...
I found I had a yeast infection yesterday, it's not my first, but being on the military post out in Germany, it takes about two weeks to get an appointment with a doctor and get Diflucon (the pill version), which I normally use.  So....I sent my husband to the store to find some sort of cure for YI.  I tried Monistat 3 today....it is the WORST burning sensation ever.  I could only stand it for 15 minutes before rushing to the bathroom and scrubbing it out of me.  It's been about an hour now and I decided to try the "garlic cure" hoping it would give some sort of relief from this intense burning.  It has helped quite a bit, but, my god, I never want to try that again.  Although it is a little strange sticking a garlic up there. LOL  But after that, I would do any kind of strange to relieve that intense burning.  Well, that and I instantly started taking large shots of rum with some excedrin, hoping it would dull this INTENSE PAIN!!!  Medically...probably wouldn't recommend that, but that was how terrible it felt.

I read the same thing on the package "mild increase in burning and itching", so I started wondering if there was something wrong with me!  This is not MILD!!!  I am so relieved to read all of these posts.  I am SOOOO relieved I didn't end up being allergic to it, it sounds like others have much worse reactions, for there is no doctor or ER I could've seen out in Germany, the closest one is 2 hours away!!  I had no idea that Monistat was so terrible and gave this reaction until I had it and found so many other people that experienced the same.  
Okay. I was having pain in the vaginal area and i went in to see a doctor. She diagnosed me with bacterial vaginosis and said i was starting to get yeast too so she gave me pills for the BV and miconazole nitrate to inject inside me. I have been using the cream every night for 5 days and i am just getting worse and a couple days ago i started to get soars. My brother thinks it is an allergic reaction to the medicine. I didn't notice the directions said to use the cream on the outside twice a day and i was putting it on there atleast 10 times a day. And the first two days i used it i felt very nausious but i didn't think anything of it. Any ideas on what i should do to help the soars until i get to the doctor Monday? Sionce it is Saturday no one is open...
I cannot believe that there are so many women who are experiencing this. I have had yeast infections in the past and Monistat always burned and honestly I just thought this was normal- like a "it'll get worse before it gets better" kind of thing. Diflucan gave me a worse burning and itching reaction, so I've never ever taken it again. I ended up needing to take boric acid suppositories because my infections were reoccurring and the thought of doing this disgusted me. It didn't help that when I went to the pharmacy to fill the script- 3 of them came to the window and said "we've never heard of this". I had to go to the city to get the medicine. Didn't have another infection for about 8 years. So....1st time having one again I bought the rite aid brand version of monistat 1 and here I sit with the swollen, burning discomfort that, like I said, I thought was something normal from the med. My JJ is screaming at me and I'll follow some of the advice given and take some benedryl after a cold shower. They should come up with an over the counter med that has no reactions like this- or they could be in with the doctors as a scheme to make more money. Just sayin'- Oh yea, I had a UTI and took antibiotics that gave me the infection this time and every other time just about. Geez.
monistat 1 for me is no different than the others but I do get incredible emotional whenever i use it. How crazy is that. But I have noticed that when I use it I cry ALOT about 9 hours after I insert it I cry I am not sad lol I am not in pain I JUST CRY> WTH. anyone experience this as well or am I insane?
Phie
I had an abscess from a tooth and was given anti-biotics, which of course caused a yeast infection. I decided to get Monistat 3. After the first tablet, I woke the next morning itching very badly. I thought it was just the natural symptom. I continued to use the product for the next 2 days, experiencing the same thing. Extreme itch. Once I was done, my husband and I had sexual intercourse a week later and the burning was evident. I realized that I had yet another yeast infection 2 weeks after the first treatment. I decided to use MONISTAT 1. I woke up after the use itchy as ever. I took a wet face cloth in order to get the remains out and "scratch". I am swollen, red, sore and have 2 lumps inside of my vagina. What is this? Has anyone experienced this?
Hi Everyone

I've been going through this same thing and this forum really helped me. I used Monistat 1 on Thursday and after suffering through the weekend I went to the doctor this morning (the Monday after I took the medication). I used the cream until Saturday night.

My symptoms were similar to everyone else's - very very painful burning sensation, swelling, what appeared to be blister-like sores. I realised yesterday that the cream was causing me more blisters and since then all I have done is have salt water baths as regularly as possible to keep the area free of infection and take ibuprofen for the inflammation.

The doctor diagnosed me with a severe allergic reaction to this stuff. She said I was extremely unlucky. She prescribed me oral steroids and higher strength painkillers. She recommended that I continue with salt baths and cold compresses to ease the symptoms and also suggested I try a zinc oxide diaper cream for topical use but to MINIMISE the use of anything else down there. The skin is irritated, topical steroid creams would put me in agony and it isn't worth risking any more allergic reactions. She also said (contrary to what I was doing because of the yeast infection) that keeping it moist would help it heal.

I asked whether this reaction could be caused by a misdiagnosis of a bacterial infection and taking the wrong medication and she said no. If anyone else is beating themselves up worrying about taking the wrong meds, stop it! Nothing so easily available should cause this kind of pain.

To anyone else going through this: it is agony and believe me that I feel for you! I hope never to feel anything like this again. Based on my experience I would advise the following:

1. Go to the doctor and get yourself checked out right away. Get a prescription to deal with the problem. I am just visiting the USA and so don't have full coverage. The full (uninsured) price of my walk-in clinic appointment was $75 and the meds cost me $25. It is a lot of money but worth it just for peace of mind and it isn't much more than my (insured) boyfriend's co-pay would have been.

2. In the meantime, be very careful what you put on yourself. If you are anything like me, you will be very sore, swollen and inflamed, not to mention in the middle of a severe allergic reaction. Don't layer on cream after cream, keep it clean and infection free and try the zinc oxide cream (Desitin - $4.99 from the pharmacy).

3. Try a lukewarm salt bath. My mum recommended this (she is a nurse and midwife). I sat in a bath and added salt until it began to sting and then I swished the water everywhere. It helped me a lot.

4. If it really burns to pee (I am in agony for 5 minutes after each trip to the bathroom) then you could try jumping in a warm shower, peeing in there and washing immediately. A little gross but when it hurts like this I just don't care! The other thing I've done is run a sink of warm salty water and soak a cloth in it to clean up fully after I pee to avoid the stingy burn and risk of infection.

I hope this advice helps. I already feel better and so much calmer. I blacked out from the pain yesterday and spent 4 days in total just twisted up with pain and in tears. Get the treatment you need! Good luck ladies.
I just used it, I'm 18 and I always get yeast infections. I usually use AZO pills to help but they weren't doing it this time. So, my aunt got me this (but the CVS generic) and I am always kind of apprehensive about putting things up there (I don't even use tampons) but I got over it and tried it... I had it in for MAYBE 1 minute and it began burning like hell. I immediately began to burst into tears because it hurt so damn bad. I left it in for about 10 minutes because I thought it was working and the bacteria was just raging against it. All this while I was trying to look this up to see if it was normal and I couldn't even focus. Well, my mom heard me and said wash it out. I did so with really cold water and it felt so good but I knew it would still burn when I stopped rinsing up there. So I reluctantly stopped and got a piece of ice and held it down there then placed a cold wet washcloth... Oh my god. If you ever experience this do the ice trick, it makes it feel so much better. But it still burns though. All in all, I cried like a big baby. It felt like someone stuck a red hot poker down there... DO NOT USE THIS!
i have used monistat 1 and also experience increased burning: almost unbearable about an hour after insertion accompanied by all of the white gunky discharge from the ovule. it always subsides about an hour later and the next day i begin to feel like the YI is going away altogether. i dont know if some people experience an even worse reaction than what i'm describing...perhaps that IS an allergy... but i hope this helped! i've been prescribed fluconaze in the past and honestly id rather deal with the hour of heightened burning than the daaaaays it felt like it took for the fluconaze to even begin to work while i suffered!
I used Victoria secret shower gel and a few days later I felt itchy so I assumed I was getting a YI. I got the Monistat 7 days n I used it nothing really for the first 3 days then the burning started I thought it was normal I manage to finish the treatment. The following day my labia felt irritated n itchy sobi thought it was the hair that was growing back so I trimmed it. The next day intense itching my labia was swollen both inside and out even my Peri. To make it worst I also had my period. It was so swollen the blood couldn't even come out. I did more Monistat, vagisil, Lotrimin, hydrocortisone nothing helped the vagisil was the worst I thought my vagina was gonna fall off. Oh i also developed a major rash on my inner thighs it made my legs swollen. I called my dr and she said this is not a YI its am allergic reaction to Monistat I was prescribed steroid cream and pills and fluconazole. Also soaked in the tub with aveeno. The hairs are sticking me like pins and needles. Please don't use Monistat. It feels like my life slowed down.
Just had my SECOND reaction to this stuff! The first time I used the Ovule 1 Day thing, I thought my yeast infection was actually that bad to cause the symptoms. The swelling was unreal! It looked like something from a science fiction movie. Outer labia developed a few tears in the skin that looked like papercuts. Finally got better (took the oral rx also).  

Yesterday I started oral Rx and planned on just using that. But last night I felt like the itching was mildly increasing. All I used this time was a small amount of the external Monistat cream I walked from the bathroom down the hallway and by the time I got there I felt like acid was burning my crotch off!! It hurt so badly I couldn't breathe! The swelling began immediately. This time I was lucky since it was external - I was able to wash  it off and get some relief from the burning. NEVER again!!
I have a terrible reaction to the Monistat 1. I thought back to years ago when I took Monistat and it burned so bad afterward. I believe that I must be allergic to Monistat. I took 2 showers and used the shower head with cool water. It helped and I had to take 3 Tylenol to get relief because 2 did nothing to stop the pain. This should be taken off the market. My discharge is worse and the pain is horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you broke out in hives? After i completed the monistate 3 which was on a sunday night by monday after new i had bumps all over my hands
I want to know has anyone else broke out in hives? I have used the Monistat 3 and after the 3 nights that used it when to school came back home and had bumps all over my hands and neck and chin. Note i dont have allergic reaction to anything and this one has done the cake. So can anybody let me know thank you
this my first time using this stuff  and my last I used the CVS  3 day treatment insert and as soon as I put it n my cooch felt like I sat on fire ants I've been burning for 3 hours after sitting in the shower for 2 :_(
My    swelling  have   got   really   bad  !    day   to   and  im   red   swollen  !  its   crazy ....  this   ****   is   bad .  ima   take   a  bath    with   vineger !
Count me in with the rest of you, ladies. I've had 3 UTI's and after each course of antibiotics I get a yeast infection. In the past I have just done the Monistat 1 with no problems whatsoever. For this most recent one, it didn't heal it so I ended up going to the dr and getting 3 diflucans. That kinda of fixed the problem but since then it seems that it is always hanging around waiting to "flare up" like immediately after sex (fun times). I've been trying lifestyle/natural methods but finally got fed up and last night decided on trying Monistat 3 this time. I got the generic Target version. This time, about a minute after inserting the the cream, INTENSE burning/itching that kept getting worse and worse. Somebody compared it to fireants and I would have to agree with that description. After about 10 minutes I went to the bathroom and tried to push as much of it out as I could using Kegels. I tried to go to bed and I was writhing around trying to ease the itch but no position helped at all....I thought maybe it was just a sign that it was working. So I put up with it and fought back the tears for about 20 minutes. My husband thought I was dying. I looked it up and found this site because I thought maybe I was having an allergic reaction. I can't believe how many of you have experienced the same thing or worse. Then I started getting nauseous and a headache so I got up, ate some saltines, took some Naproxen and Benadryl, and hopped in the shower to get the rest of it out/off. My vaginal walls were so swollen I could barely get my finger up there to dig it out (graphic, sorry) and it hurt like hell. So nearly 3 hours after the ordeal began I was able to get to sleep without any pain. MY GOSH. Will never ever use this product again!!!
I am used to having yeast infections. I usually use Monistat 7 bc it is milder and more tolerable, but I was not in the mood to wait 7 days. So I got monistat 3 ( i used monistat 1 before and I almost died of pain! ). My experience w monistat 3..... the day after ( morning ) was excruciating, but I left it there as long as I could because it IS the cream killing the bad guys! When I could not take it any longer , I washed the outside plus the inside ( I have a bidet but you can use a bucket with water and literally stick your CLEAN finger there and remove as much of the cream as you can ). This process took from mid morning until mid afternoon. I cleaned, found relief, and a couple of hours later it was burning again so I cleaned again. A lot of discharge together with the "cottage" lumps ( the bad guys ). I would say hang in there, because I am writing this mid morning day 2 and I am not even close to that pain I felt yesterday. The burning was very mild in the morning, I decided to clean a little outside and change my pad, and I dont feel anything anymore. So it is not a reaction to the cream, it is literally the cream killing the yeast. If you can't handle the pain, do the 7 days, but if you want fast results, do monistat 3. As they say, no pain no gain. PS: I tried for 3 days apple cider vinegar and did absolutely NOTHING for me, actually I even think I gave extra time for them to multiply inside me
Had to take a course of antibiotics for sinus infection, ended up with yeast infection it was a friday and no available doctor. I decided to be pre-emptive and used Monistat Day or night friday night did not want to go the whole weekend with yeast infection. This stuff should be illegal, it literally burned the skin off my inner and outer vulva, it has been almost 7 days since I used it and I am still in unbearable pain, fluconazole pill on monday hopefully has cured initial yeast infection. all I can say is thank god for vagisil extra strength cream it is the only way I am keeping my sanity.
Omg! Why... Did i not read about this stuff before I used it!! I inserted that ovule in my vag and it wasn't even 2 hours later that I was on FIRE! I was swollen and so irritated I was just about in tears. I immediately knew something was seriously wrong! I just went straight to soaking in a warm tub and scooped out the "medicine" (wtf) more like torture cream. It's freaking 2:48am and I have to work in a few hours, after getting cleaned out I used aloe gel (straight from the plant) it soothed the burning quite a bit. Hopefully I can some sleep now... I hope this helps anyone else who experienced this.. This product needs to be burned in hell... Cause that's where it came from!!  Good Lord the FDA needs to get there head out of the drug developers arses and ban this stuff!
I called my GYN for an appointment on last Wednesday, thought I had YI, couldn't get an appointment until the following Monday. Asked the nurse if she could recommend something over the counter, and she said Monistat. So I picked up the Monistat 1, used it before bed that night along with the externall cream.  I woke up in the middle of the night to urinate, and it BURNED like HELL!!!!! Afterwards I was itching and irritated. By the morning I was swollen, red, itching, burning, blistered and red........it was almost as if my insides were about to drop out! I was on fire. I soaked in warm water and salt for the last 4 days, but I've noticed that the medicine is still coming out.  I've been sleeping without underwear as its been so uncomfortable to wear them.  This morning I took a douche with plain water just to get that medicine out of me, and I was amazed at how much came out.

I feel better, except for the blister, its healing but its still irriatting.  I'll see my GYN today, and I will NEVER EVER use this product again!!!
My boyfriend had the same problem with vagisil.  Apparently whatever is in vagisil is also in monistat.  Apparently also some people are more sensitive and allergic to whatever is in these topical medications.  I myself have never had any problems.
Business_woman3
it happened to me years ago, just douche with plain water and take something for the swelling. my stepdad thought he was funny and made a suggestion to get popsicles(ha,ha) on a positive note, i havent had a yeast infection since, and its been 12 years. = )
Last time I had a yeast infection I used Monistat 1 and remembered that I felt burning, itching miserable pain but I had been suffering for 2-3 days with the yeast infection before trying it and thought the burning and pain was due to scratching with toilet paper so much. I did not get relief with the Monistat 1 after days so I went to the doctor and got a prescription pill. This time, on day 1 of the yeast infection symptoms, I got Monistat 3. I thought using using the 3 versus the 1 would be milder and I hoped starting treatment sooner would all mean this would work and not make me miserable. I was wrong. The first night was awful but manageable, the 2nd night made me wish I could somehow remove my vagina!!! I hoped the 3rd night would be milder but no such luck. I ended up having to call my doctor for a prescription pill. I find it hard to believe Monistat says there may be a "slight" increase in itching with the use of the medicine yet I (and it sounds like MANY others) are more miserable after taking the medicine than before! I felt burning, unbearable itching, abdominal pain and burning when I urinated. I HATE Monistat!!! Why is this even available to women and why isn't there a better option?!
Monostat works for many as it has for me.  It's widely available and isn't a good choice for everyone but each of us are different and will have a different reaction.

If it isn't the product for you, call your doctor and perhaps they'll write for a prescription of the oral medication to take care of the yeast infection.  One might have to be seen in order to do that but it is worth it to take care of the problem.  good luck to all.  
I'm so glad to have found this page. I tried Monistat 3 and was going out of my mind in agony the first night. I washed it all off in the morning and started to find some relief, but was still in agony. Then I used the tube of Monistat cream that came in the box and the severe burning itching came back. Like many others, I too believed that it was doing its job, and that having a yeast infection was just painful. I haven't had a YI in over 10 years, and in the past, the 7 day Monistat seemed to work fine. I guess I forgot what it was like. Nothing should ever be this incredibly painful. Well, this product has either gotten much stronger, or I have gotten weaker. I cannot describe how red, swollen, burning, itching, painful this experience has been. I would NEVER recommend an over the counter treatment to anyone. Go to a doctor! I could not get an appointment with my PC or OB/GYN, but luckily I was able to have them call a prescription of Diflucan in to the pharmacy. It has been 2 days since I used the Monistat and I'm still suffering. Why is this product even on the market?? Scary!
Monostate works for a lot of women.  Worked just fine for me.  luck to all.  
I went to the nurse practitioner last week and she prescribed me an oral pill for YI. That didn't take care of it so she recommended to follow up with Monistat for the external problem. I went this morning and purchased the monistat seven day dual action package and just used the external cream like she said. Instantly i had a vag on Fire!  I cried as quietly as possible (at work) for an hour! And then when the tears stopped I was still in so much pain I still had another hour before I could untwist from the pain. This is horrible! If men and experiences like this the product would be banned!
Well to everyone you should try hydrogen peroxide it reliefs itching and burning may burn a slight bit but not in unbairable. Just take a wash cloth or something of that sort put a lil water nd peroxide and symptoms should be gone in 3 days this has really worked for me and with the monistat the burning nd itching will only last the first couple times of use it is just clearing up the infection try not to scratch or nething nd it will go away  scratching is only making the burning nd itching nd swelling worse try to just ignore it into its hard but its worth it the end hope I helped somebody
Does anyone know how to stop the reaction????... throbbing, burning.... Urethra is on FIRE!!! HELLLPPPP.. I want a solution.. Monistat should be banned.. this has been going on since Thursday...It's TUESDAY!!!!!!!!!!! I am grateful to read the reviews b/c I thought something was terribly wrong... the following day after use, even my hands and feet were burning as if i had ben gay on them... weird side effects...then my poor urethra.. I thought i had developed a UTI b/c it burned so bad..... seems like it's a very common side effect.. the question they forgot to adress when they lied and said MILD burning... IS>> HOW DO YOU STOP THE REACTION FROM THIS STUFF!!!!.....??????....
Hi ladies. I just tried the Monistat & like everyone else it was the worst experience.  Itching so bad that I was literally squirming and squeezing my legs tightly to ignore & "scratch" it. I did douche and afterwards used the vagisil anti itch cream that is external and somehow it makes everything feel great to me now.
PLEASE DO NOT DOUCHE.  This is one of the worst things a woman can do.  It creates an environment for MORE yeast and infection.  Sadly, it will compound the problems.

good luck
Here's some more information why women should NOT douche:

http://std.about.com/od/riskfactorsforstds/a/doucheoverview.htm
Man. Wtf!!! Monastat 1 is the worst possible thing on this early for a yeast infection. Monastat period. Burning, itching, swelling to the point i couldn't urinate, and what little i could urinate it felt like a branding iron was being stuck to my genitals. I cried, was ill at my husband for no reason. Just horrible. Ill never use this again!!!!!!!!! That's almost as if you would rather have your junk cut off/out of you than to deal with that. Emergency room i went!!!!!
Doctor prescribed antibiotic one month ago cause I thought I had bv. A few weeks later when my period started the minor itch started. I tried Canistan supositiries, couldn't sit down for two days, but nothin like the Monistat7. In 3 days I managed to do 2 times. Spent the day between the bed and the shower hose. Eventually douched with Massengill vi vinigar which didn't burn as much as the Monistat, use with shower hose in one hand and douch in the other. I hear the cream makes your hair grow if rubbed on the scalp. Warning: It does not burn the vigina (vagina), it burns the vulva when it runs out, teterrible PAIN.
After going to the Dr. and being told I had a "classic" yeast infection, I was told to purchase the 7-day treatment kit of Monistat.  Bought it and started it.  My yeast infection was mostly external but that first night after inserting the cream, I wondered if I also had one internally.  The itching was so severe I began to think the cream could be used as a method of torture.  If you've ever had a sunburn and it rubs up against clothing and hurts, that is how the burning felt.  My husband walked in to find me on the bed with my legs spread wide apart as it felt like having my legs together was increasing the itching.  I'm on day 4 and going to be calling the doctor tomorrow.  I thought maybe the yeast was fighting the Monistat and that it would slowly get better, but last night it took me 4 hours to go to sleep because of the itching and burning.  Miserable.  I don't know if this is the "mild" increase in symptoms the pamphlet discusses, or if it an allergic reaction.  I can't imagine this is the best way.  
I used Monistat 7 for the first time last night and I really did not have any side effects. This morning when I woke up, I had bad stomach cramps and it feels like my abdominal area is tight! I'm worried because it has been like that all day!
May 2013 and this crap is still on the shelves!! I am experiencing the same side effects as everyone on this thread. It is your comment that drew attention..a little similar in length of time. It has been over three weeks since I used the horrific product and still feel messed up. Burning, itching & sort of swollen. How long did it take for your symptoms to go away before sex did not hurt anymore?..How long did it take for all symptoms to go away period? Is there an end to this? Let me know. Thanks so much.

***@****
May 2013 and this crap is still on the shelves!! I am experiencing the same side effects as everyone on this thread. It is your comment that drew attention...It has been over 3 weeks going on 4 since I used the horrific product and still feel messed up. Occasional burning, itching & sort of swollen. I know I definitely feel sex is out of the question..my poor husband. How long did it take for your symptoms to go away before sex did not hurt anymore?..How long did it take for all symptoms to go away period? Is there an end to this? Let me know please. Is there any hope!? Thanks so much.
I had intense itching with monistat 7 just like these other ladies. Of all people my husband said, "why don't you take some Benadryl with the yeast medicine?"  I'll be damned if it didn't work. I couldn't believe how much better I felt in about thirty minutes after taking the Benadryl. It helped me tolerate the Monistat 7 much better. I'm glad i married that genius.
I am prone to yeast infections and started itching a couple of weeks ago so I decided to use an OTC treatment, Monistat 3. NEVER HAVE I EVER HAD ANY REACTION TO ANY MEDICATION LIKE I HAD WITH MONISTAT!! As many of the women have  stated... my Vagina felt as if I had poured some abrasive chemical directly on it... it was on FIRE!!! It was so bad my 5 year old daughter was getting worried and tried to treat me by telling me to drink water so it would stop burning. I am on day two and my Vagina had the same reaction of burning only less intense. I had planned on self treating to save a trip to the doctor but now im worried I may have inadvertently created another problem by using that cream! I dont know whats worse- having itching or horrible burning!? I wonder how they were ever able to put this on the market after testing?? Very disappointed and worried and now I WILL BE MAKING AN APPOINTMENT WITH MY DOCTOR to get checked out... not only for the yeast infection but to make sure I didnt do any damage from using Monistat 3!
I am prone to yeast infections and started itching a couple of weeks ago so I decided to use an OTC treatment, Monistat 3. NEVER HAVE I EVER HAD ANY REACTION TO ANY MEDICATION LIKE I HAD WITH MONISTAT!! As many of the women have  stated... my Vagina felt as if I had poured some
abrasive chemical directly on it... it was on FIRE!!! It was so bad my 5 year old daughter was getting worried and tried to treat me by telling me to drink water so it would stop burning. I am on day two and my Vagina had the same reaction of burning only less intense. I had planned on self treating to save a trip to the doctor but now im worried I may have inadvertently created another problem by using that cream! I dont know whats worse- having itching or horrible burning!? I wonder how they were ever able to put this on the market after testing?? Very disappointed and worried and now I WILL BE MAKING AN APPOINTMENT WITH MY DOCTOR to get checked out... not only for the yeast infection but to make sure I didnt do any damage from using Monistat 3!
Sorry for posting 3 times... I didnt think it posted on the first two times. Apologies for the redundancy. But i hope it gets my point across even more!
If anyone has been to the doc after using this or has gotten any medical feedback from their doc regarding this product... please share! It would be much appreciated to have input from seone in the medical field..
Did anyone get vaginal welts after taking this? My doctor thought I had herpes (OMG) but several tests tested negative. All I can think is it was an allergic reaction. I had thought I had a yeast infection and taken monostat. I was in so much pain it felt like I had just given birth. I was covered in open sores all over my vagina. Wondering if this could be what caused it.
I used monistat 1 for the first time last night, woke up at 5am with horrific burning and itching pains. I took a cool bath which helped somewhat and took allergy medicine. I ended up in the ER at 7am because my vagina was so swollen, bright red and felt like it was on fire! Worst pain I have experienced...this product needs to be taken off the shelves!!! I had an allergic reaction to the monistat...I am still in pain but much more tolerable because of benadryll. DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT!!!!
I think you had an allergic reaction...I am raw down there...take some allergy meds and use ice to cool things down. Good Luck! :)
WOW this is ridiculous that so many people have had such bad reactions from this medication...that were even worse than the symptoms they took it for! I thought I could feel a YI coming on yesterday so I decided to kick it before it got too bad... Well. I purchased Monistat3 and used the overnight insertion, and it sounds like I got lucky. I only woke up feeling like I was on my period and cramping instead of like there was a forest fire in my vagina after two minutes... I am just trying to drink alot of water to flush this nasty medicine out of me. It is really unacceptable that there is no more of a warning on this medication - and it should not be on the market with reviews like this from so many people!!
It's so widely used that the majority by far of women who use the medication have no side effects at all. They just don't post here.  good luck
Wow, obviously I'm not the only one here who Monistat has affected like nothing else. I tried the Monistat 1 about 10 years ago after having successfully used the 7-day treatment on another occasion, and it made my lady business swell practically shut where I could only pee a few drops at a time, and it felt similar to what I'd imagine having a bottle rocket explode inside of you would. Years later, I took the advice of a medical professional telling me to try the 7-day again as it's not nearly as harsh and I'd tolerated it well before - WRONG answer!! DO NOT take ANY of the OTC yeast infection meds if you've reacted to one. They all are essentially a derivative of the same active drug in some form, and once your body develops a sensitivity, it will always react, as I found out the hard way with another week of fire crotch.

Has anyone found a good home remedy to recommend? I just finished a round of antibiotics to treat strep throat, which has fired up the ol' bread factory, I'm on a girl's trip to the beach, and I'm in a world of hurt. Not ideal.
just experienced the same thing. I have used it before and have never had problems (i typically get YI when i take antibiotics) but within minutes of putting in the applicator and medication it started burning and itching beyond belief. I found this forum thank god and just went in the shower and tried to get as much of it out and just going to ask my doctor tomorrow. so thanks everyone.
After 5 hours of inserting Monistat 1, I awoke with intense burning and itching. My advice is simply wash the outside of your vagina with cold water, then get in a hot bath for 10-15 minutes, and finally put Cortaid-10 (or any hydrocortisone cream) on the exterior of your vagina. Grin and bear it for a few hours...and you should wake up feeling great. At least it worked for me. But, yeah, I'll never use this product again.
i purchased monistat 3 day with the ovules and haven't used it yet although i've had a yi for 6 days because of reading these. now its subsidigin but i think its because i literally drank 2 gallons of cranberry juice over the past two days. its known to balance out ph levels down there so i went for it, i know its only treated but i have been drinking it as much as i can until i can find a gyno. now I'm going to an appointment in 45 minutes and it feels like i don't need to anymore but i still am :) so ladies if you've read this first..100% cranberry juice. and avoid sugar.
You're persistent trolling of this forum is ridiculous; GOOD FOR YOU if you've never had a bad reaction. Five posts rubbing it in everyone's faces is way more than enough. Go away and start your own thread about how awesome and great Monistat is.
I can agree that Monistat burns like hell the first few days I use it. I always get the seven day one. But it really does work. I know the first days I use it all i do to get over the burning is sleep with a towel under me and I put an ice cube in a wash cloth and hold it between my legs all night (replace ice as needed) TMI I know but this is how I get over the burning. I have tried the pills for a yeast infection and nothing else works for me, so I have no choice but to use the Monistat. I hope someone can be helped by this post. Just try the ice. It really helps.
Last night I used monistat 1 and it felt like fire ants crawled inside of me and attacked each other with chemical warfare. AWFUL! But, if you are reading this thread and are in a similar desperate condition please know that there are a few things that will make you much more comfortable:
1. Take a shower and wash as much out as possible
2. Take ibuprofen to help prevent swelling
3. Put on loose fitting cotton underwear
4. Wrap an ice pack in a clean dishtowel and place between your legs. This will not only numb the pain, but reduces swelling and you'll feel better the next day.
5. Sleep and hope it will all be gone in the morning. (It was for me and I was even able to bike 3 miles to a meeting at 8am. Something I couldn't fathom would be possible when I was crying in the bathroom earlier that morning at 3am).
I hope this helps
This is my 3rd time using monistat 7 for yeast infection while taking the diflucan and the first two times it burned but I could handle it , this time though I'm on the second day and I've broken down in tears from the inflamation (inflammation). The burn feeling makes me just want to die. NEVER taking any kind of monistat or and product of monistat again!!
Does anyone know what will help with the burn though ?!
I used the CVS brand of the 1 day monistat last evening.  I was up all night with extreme soreness and swelling - I mean I was swollen about 10 times normal size! Tried washing it out in the shower. This morning it was only slightly better.  I just came back from Urgent Care. The doctor said she had had the exact same thing happen to her! She said just to use some over the counter hydrocortisone - not really much else to do but wait for it to subside. She did give me the diflucan thank God. It is starting to feel better....
I used the Walgreen's generic of Monistat 1 on Tuesday, and not only was the applicator VERY irritating, the medication itself seemed to make things worse. It burned quite a bit, and I attributed it to the scratchy applicator roughing up my already-very-sensitive area. I did call my Dr. the next afternoon after it seemed to be worse, and she prescribed Diflucan, 2 doses (one to be taken immediately, one in three days). I was still having itching and burning, so I was continuing to use the cream that came in the package. I now have no discharge, but my entire vaginal area is still quite raw (seemed to be worsening daily, in fact, feels like I have a cut in one particular spot), and my perineum is also irritated. I read this earlier, and haven't used the cream at all today--and all of it is feeling much better than it did this morning.  
First time using monistat and 1st time with vag probs...  no outrageous burning or any other side affects.  It seems to be doing its job with me and I am glad for it.  
My story is similar to yours.  I am 58 just got over a UTI and felt like I was getting a yeast infection.  Began taking Monistat 7. I have taken it lots of times before with only good results.  When I put it in I did not have any burning at all.  The next morning I started with burning in my bladder.  Dr checked me for infection.  Dr. said all clear.  I did not make the connection with the Monitstat and continued to use it another three nights.  By the second day my uterus, and my bladder felt like they were being ripped out of me.  The pain was so bad I wanted to go to the ER but since I don't have good insurance I decided to wait the weekend and call the urologist thinking I must have bladder cancer or something.  I was in bed literally for two days straight.  Something made me wonder if it could be the Monistat so I stopped it.  I still have pain after 24 hours of not using the Monistat but it is better than it was and I think it will get better as time goes on.  I will pick up some benadryl today and try taking some of that.  I have never been in so much abdominal pain before.  It was horrible.  I had a dull ache with lots of severe burning and it felt like my bladder, uterus and colon was being ripped out of my body - but the odd thing is my vagina never burned or got swollen or itchy.  Anyone else have this type of reaction where it cause horrible abdominal pain?
Omg, my vagina hates me right now! As soon as I insert one of the tubes from Minister3 in my vagina, a minute later my vagina was itchinggggg so damnnn bad! It is NOT MILD like it said on the box. Mild you can ignore. This u can NOT! SHOOTING PAIN OF ITCHES is how I would describe it.....this is the first 3 hours, Idk if I can continue for 3 days
WHO IS THE IDOIT WHO INVENTED THIS ACID BOMB???? OMG! reaction within 15 min. after inserting! In complete tears with pain. Douched it out with the hand-held shower wand! Then an ice pack on my va-j-j! OMG! I laid there praying I got it all out. I wasn't even sure I HAD a yeast infection. I told my daughter to NEVER use this product! I continued to lay in bed thinking of all the women who were inserting them at this moment in time with no warning of what they were in for! TAKE THIS OFF THE MARKET NOW!!!
I don't recommend anyone to use this . I attempted to go to my doctor but she was on vacation for a week so I decided to get the monistat 3 and it has to be the worst thing in the world. the pain is incredibly horrible . I cried for 20 minutes after using it because the burning and itching increased and worsen then how I felt before using it. I tried washing it out but of course the medicine is already inside . I did not get any sleep that night. I held a cold rag for the whole night to help with the itching and burning but once the rag isn't cold anymore I'm back to feeling the worst pain ever. next time I will attempt to find another doctor before buying any OTC medicine to help me out with a yeast infection
I am 37 weeks pregnant and have had a yeast infection for about a week or so now thinking to would subside on it's own but just got worse. I had used a generic miconazole-3 suppository it the past and had no problem with it. I thought that's what I was buying again but it was the cream filled applicators with turned out to be horrible! The first night I asked my girlfriend if it was suppose to be burning this bad and she said somewhat, yes. But it was almost unbearable I couldn't sleep. I'm on my second night of using it and same reaction. Wondering if I should even continue with the last dosage. The cream also leaks out way too much causing the irritation on the outer vagina as well. Wish I would have just got the suppositories!
I am allergic to anything in that "azole" family and suffer from yeast infections a lot!  OBGYN doesnt know why or even what to give me. Took years and loys of $, and misdiagnosis to find out it was call Fixed Drug. An allergic reaction to meds. I was having a horrible reaction! Burning, itchy hot to the touch, patches on my body, (that is now discolored. I believe due to the creams they had me put on the skin when they misdiagnosed me) They thought it was eczema, boils, lupus and so much more! Tried home remedies that didn't work. Any suggestions!
I am horribly allergic to all OTC creams.  I use acidophilus mixed in Greek yogurt, bragg raw apple cider vinegar by mouth and as a douche with grapefruit seed extract.  Colloidal silver from herbal healer is also awesome for literally everything and can be taken by mouth and added to the douche. Oregano oil is a natural anti viral.  And I just started "oil pulling" with organic coconut oil and sesame oil.  Hope this helps!
Ok so I'm only writing this review because I was scared out of my mind after reading everyone else's bad experiences with Monistat 1. Two days I go I started experiencing symptoms of a YI, but I decided to wait and see if it was going to go away. I didn't. I went to the store yesterday because my mom told me to buy Monistat. She use to be a nurse and they use to have to prescribe Monistat 7 to people. When I got to the store I saw that there was all different kinds of Monistat and I went with the one day one with the ovule because my YI wasn't too bad and I wanted it gone as quick as possible. When I got home I opened the box and used the cream which took away the itch pretty quickly. I then went online to do some research about it and found all these terrible comments. I was so scared about putting in the ovule at night because I didn't want to be crying in pain, but I did it anyway at night. About an hour later I felt a very very VERY slight increase in burning, but it was barely noticeable. I didn't wake up at all in the middle of the night and no medicine leaked out of me until I stood up. The only discomfort I have is very slight and it is after going to the bathroom when I wipe, so I suggest just patting yourself dry. It was also a little painful putting the ovule in because I think the applicator scratched me a little bit on the inside which caused a little bit of bleeding. Other than that everything is going completely fine and I can feel my YI clearing up. Everyone needs to keep in mind that everyone's body is different and generally people who don't have a problem with some medication don''t tend to write a review about it, or at least I never write reviews. Good luck!
I'm a 48 yr old woman that have had several yeast infections in the past.Something every woman that have ever had one knows what they are... I've used monosta 7 in the past with no problems n when I saw monostat 1, decided to buy it as it seemed to me at the time to be a quicker and easier alternative to the 7 day treatment.Big mistake!
I used the wipes that comes with the kit,inserted the oval capsule then applied the cream that was included. The cream burned with in minutes which I thought maybe its working.Package says may cause burning.Within a half hour the burning intensified. I've never in my life felt so much burning! Frequent urge to urinate.But as time went by the burning turned into a fire below that felt like my female parts were melting! I washed the outer cream off n tried the best I could to suck it up figuring it'd all be over in the morning. Two hrs later I woke up unable to deal with it any longer n tried as best as I could to wipe what I could from my vagina.The burning was eased a little so I thought the worst was over. What could be the worst that could happen? Its an over the counter medication that women use all the time.Right?
Another week went by with no relief. I took a mirror to the area n saw a frightening sight! My whole vaginal area was  inflamed, a purple color, the lips of my vagina like something alien. My clitoris swollen n a blister near my vaginal opening!
Off to the ER I went ! I told the Dr about the monostat use. They didn't seemed to be conveinced n did a swab of my cervix, blood work n removed the blister telling me they were going to test for std's!
I've been in a great marriage for 28 yrs n now they were telling me I might have an std! I had n emotional breakdown!  
They said my cervix looked healthy but they would have to sent the swab n blister biopsy off to the lab n It would take a couple days for results.
I don't remember driving home as I was in tears n devastated that I may have an std.  
My husband pulled into the driveway n I flew out of the house ready to kill him! He told me I needed to calm down, hugged me an told me there was an explanation that he loved me never cheated on me n that the result would prove that.
Those next 3 days were the worst in my life waiting to see if my husband was telling the truth.Wanting to believe him but in the back of my mind wondering what if?

Well I didn't hear anything back from lab n couldn't take it any longer so called the lab myself!
No bacteria, bloodwork neg,biopsy neg for std's !  NO STD's !I never felt so relieved in my life!

But no relief from the swelling n burning I was having. Then I got my period. It was aweful! The pad rubbed an already painful area. The tampon wasn't as bad but as heavy an long as my flows usually are how can I possible deal?Couldn't walk, couldn't go anywhere. Luckily my period only lasted 3 days!
During the time I had to do nothing I did do research on monostat 1
and found this forum.Thank God!
I bought some coconut oil that looks like crisco but melts w your body temperature to a refreshing silky wonderful ,soothing oil n applied that often n took motrin around the clock for last 5 days n I'm so happy to say things down there r almost back to normal!
I will make a gyno appointment when all is healed to follow up w the ER exam/testing but for right now no one is going to touch me down there n aggravate the healing process!
I know now that monostat1 caused a chemical burn on the most sensitive area on my body. I've been through hell n back n this product should never be offered to the public!  I know if the people responsible for marketing this poison were female n has gone through what I or any other victim or if their wives or girlfriends have , there wouldn't be any problems as this product would be off the shelves! Maybe they just tell their loved ones to stay away from this horrid product?
For weeks it ruined my life n for 3 days of awaiting std results, during that wait, ruined my marriage of 28 years!
I am sitting here in agony. I am red, swollen, itchy and having burning pain with urination after 2 applications of Monostat. I am having horrible abdominal pain, headache, nausea and low back pain. The internal and external vaginal pain is so extreme, I feel like I am on fire! I have tried warm water, cool water, lidocaine cream externally, ice packs and ibuprofen... nothing seems to help. My doctor prescribed Diflucan and said not to use any kind of steroid cream as it will prolong and increase irritation. If my pain is not reduced by tomorrow I am going to call my doctor back for pain meds.

This one website as almost 300 posts of women with extreme side effects. I am sure there are more posts out there! How do we get the word out to other women that this product is harmful?? How do we get it off the shelves???
I had a YI and it was the weekend (Fri) so I ran to the drug store and bought the Monistat 1 day. I was so uncomfortable the 1st night that I just assumed it had to do with the YI. I had no relief and was so uncomfortable and just assumed that the Monistat 1 day was not working. I had all this white/yellow clumpy stuff coming out and to be honest I tried my best to get it out of me and even got vinegar & water douche to try and cleanse out whatever was left in there. I broke down by Thur and called my dr and they called in Diflucan. It is now the following Monday and I feel as though the YI is gone however I'm extremely irritated and actually took a look and the outside is a little irritated but the inside is extremely red & irritated. I had started googling stuff on YI to try and figure out what is going on and all the med sites say that YI's can also be confused for gonorrhea or chlamydia which you can imagine has me completely freaked out!!!! Then I googled can you have a reaction and found this blog & seeing that I'm not alone has provided some relief. I just want to know how long is this irritation going to last?!?!?!? I saw someone mention taking Benadryl does that help make all of this go away? I guess I need to talk to the gyno however I don't have one & have a 1st appointment scheduled for Dec 3rd & not sure if they will be willing to help me if they haven't seen me yet. I just want to feel normal again & not be worried about this and to know I will be ok.
I had an antibiotic treatment and then I started to experience the symptoms of a yeast infection. So last night I decided to go to Walgreens and get the Walgreens version of Monistat (1200 mg) instead of wasting time in the doctor's office. That was the WORST decision ever!! As soon I applied the medication I felt some disconfort but like an 1/2 hour later my vagina was ON FIRE! The burning was horrible, it last a few hours!! I was so desperate, almost in tears! I had to literally go to the shower and rinse my vagina with a lot of water for like 1/2 hour to get some relief but as soon I got out from the shower the burning would start again so I had to do get to the shower over & over again.The worst experience ever! My advice, don't buy this product!
This medicine should be banned
I'm currently on the 3rd night of my 5 day treatment with this drug and it is absolutely horrific. I can barely sleep, it feels as if someone has lit me on fire and I'm burning from within. And guess who prescribed me this medication and failed to give me another alternative when I complained of extreme discomfort: a MALE doctor. Us women need to fight back because there has to be some other way to cure a yeast infection that doesn't involve putting what feels like radioactive nuclear chemicals up our vaginas. The first time I took the medication I almost went to the emergency room 30 minutes in the pain was so excruciating. I have continued to take it because every time I wake up I definitely notice less itching and the red rash has gone down but at what expense?? This is my third consecutive night of getting almost no sleep due to this medication. I'm done. I cannot handle this one more time. DO NOT buy or insert this toxic medicine into your delicate, precious body. I am baffled as to how this is not illegal yet.
I too just used generic monist at (store brand). I woke up to severe pain, severe swelling and itching. I felt like I was on fire. There was no warnings on the box that you could possibly have an allergic reaction or what you should do if you do have an allergic reaction.
I used the equate moconazole 1 day treatment last night and my boyfriend and I had sex tonight and he is having unbearable burning. Does anyone know what he can do to stop this?
How I got my vagina to stop itching like holy hell after using monostat 1.

Like many here, I was on antibiotics, felt a yeast infection coming on, and bought monistat 1  or what I will forever refer to as, "the demon ovule." A few hours later the burning started, and I had to leave work it was so bad.

This what I did to get some relief:
1. Get that demon ovule out of you! Luckily for me, it mostly plooped out, but you want it and all its white nastiness out of you.

2. Take an anti-histamine and anti-inflammatory.

3. Get in the shower or bath and irrigate your vagina to get the rest of the demon ovule out of you. I found something like a syringe in a first aid kit, hacked off the top and started to flush my self with warm water.

Notice: getting the demon ovule out of you is horrible, but trust me you need it out.

I took a little break here and found this board...

4. I went back in the shower with a bottle of vitamin e oil. I very liberally applied the oil and massaged it all over.

I feel slightly better now, and I hope this helps someone else.

Now to treat the YI... I think I am going to try garlic and yougart.
I got a yeast infection the other day after my period. I tried Monistst 1 which seemed to make it worse. Two days later,  I was still experiencing symptoms.  Went back to the CVS today and purchased CVS brand Miconazole 3. Here I am @ 3 am googling for answers for relief of SEVERE BURNING! I finally gave up only after an hour of using the product the first night!  The pain and burning is so unbearable I had to rinse it out with cold water and apply a cold washcloth between my legs. I took Tylenol but I feel like I'm still on fire!! Never again will I attempt to use any of these products! FDA SHOULD BE ASHAMED FOR APPROVING THE USE AND DISTRIBUTION OF THIS DRUG!
Just like everyone else, I wish I had seen this website before I ever bought Monistat 1!! I've had a yeast infection before and didn't want to bother going to the doctor this time so I thought I would try buying Monistat because I've heard of it before so I thought I could trust it.. big BIG mistake. The "minor" itching and burning that the information leaflet mentions as a possibility is the understatement of the century - I really don't think I have ever been so uncomfortable in my life.. before taking the medicine I was just a little itchy but after taking it I was insanely itchy and my vagina felt like it was on fire.

I didn't want to waste the $ and not cure the yeast infection so I waited about half an hour but it got a million times worse. I ended up flushing it out in every way I could possibly think of - I used tampons, my finger, water -- everything! After taking a shower I finally feel better, but it does still burn. I also took other people's advice and took some allergy medicine.

Never, EVER use this product!
Omg I can't believe the severe reaction I had today to the CVS brand monistat cream for yeast infection. I was in sooo much pain I had to call my doctors office, I had to take a soak in the tub I had to actually try to get it out with my fingers. Hubby is on his way right now to get me a duche with water and vinegar, I have never felt soo much burning in my whole life. All I wanted was some relief. This product should be torn off the shelves. I do want to stress never ever put anything up you unless you are positive and have been seen by a doctor for an actual yeast infection. Wish I had just used ointment instead to hold me over for the doctors. My whole night is ruined, I have to make an appt with my doctor pronto. Hoping and praying the water and vinegar will help me out. Hubby told pharmacist my symptoms and the pharmacist told me I must have a yeast infection and suggested cvs brand to save some money bad Idea. I have used actual monistat in the past and never had a reaction this bad. I think I woke my whole apartment complex I was crying and screaming so bad from the pain. Oh and I have a strong threshold for pain. I would not wish this pain on my worst enemy. They need to pull this off the shelves.
I wish I had seen all these comments sooner !! Worst pain I have ever been in my life !!
Call your Dr. ask for the pill they prescribe. Monistat is HORRIBLE HORRIBLE stuff seemingly manufactured by none other than the devil himself...
I wish I had looked this up before hand as well. I was having some minor itching for a couple days, so I decided to try Monistat 1, within one hour I felt like I was itching inside so bad that I wished I could get a bristle brush up inside of me, and then the burning was like having a blow torch inside. I was pacing the house out of my mind in agony, finally out of desperation I stuck some ice where ice should not go. The ice was relieving the itching and burning, but at the same time it was painful. I swelled up so much I could get anything inside to try and rinse this horrid stuff out of me. At this point I was about to go to the hospital, when I decided to try one last thing... I turned the shower on cold, laid flat on my back with my legs spread apart and just let the cold water hit that area for 30 minutes. This and two Benadryl provided enough relief to where I could at least keep my sanity. An hour after the initial signs of the reaction I was bright red, with bumps all over down there, and still felt raw and swollen. My advice, never ever try this stuff. It's not worth risking the reaction. I saw one person describe it as napalm going off inside her vagina... this is a very accurate statement!
Wow, wish I'd seen this too!  I have a yeast infection because of antibiotics for a UTI.  Doctor gave me the Diflucan pill to take once and then another one on the fourth day.  I still had some external itching on Saturday so I called over and the doctor in the office told the nurse to tell me to use Monistat.  I got some and used it that night and by Sunday mid day was going crazy with burning, itching, redness.  Now I got the cream and only used it externally so no where near as bad as what y'all went thru and it was horrible. I read the package and saw the 'might temporarily increase....' so used it again before bed and within minutes was in pain. I used toilet paper to scrub it off and then put some Vagisil extra strength on.  BAD IDEA! That stung like heck. I slept 2 hours last night.  My doc is out of town and the guy filling in for him won't talk to me without a full physical so his nurse said to use Desitin to try and calm down the raw tissue and just 'wait out' the pill I took last night. If I'm not better in 4 days, to come back in.

Another Monistat 1 story here.  47 years old.  I don't do dairy but I am going to make yogurt a best friend after tonight. As soon as I applied the cream tonight  the itching and burning multiplied by 100. I told my husband it feels like I have 100 mosquitos biting the inside of my vagina. I told my husband I need to put ice cubes in my vagina.  I do recall a reaction like this a few years ago.  I wonder if the reaction is worse the longer one waits to treat.  I hope the night goes well.  I look red and raw. slightly swollen.  I just took Benadryl after reading that suggestion many times  here. I also took a pain killer earlier due severe neck disk issues,  I am guessing it would be like 500 mosquitos without that.  UGH.  I wonder why Dr.s and even the news hasn't covered this issue.  Look at all these posts.  There has to be something better.

Hoping for some sleep.  I have my ice pack close by.
Just tried Monistat 1 and thank GOD for this thread! And thank God I'm a RN and kind of knew what to do. Pain, itching and INTENSE BURNING started one hour after inserting the Monistat. I immediatley washed myself with water and tried to dig out the capsule with no luck. But the water on my hands helped a smidge and got some of the cream out. So, into the bath I went and did rocking back exercise to get some water up there and took 2 Benadryl. I went on my Ipad and was SHOCKED to see that many SEVERE reactions to an FDA approved drug. Shame on you, FDA. Abdomen hurts and so swollen, I can't get inside with anything to help. I'm calling the FDA, CDC and BBB to START.
Had a Iud removed which gave me a bacterial infection so put on antibiotics, that lead to yeast infection.  Purchased the 3 day monistat pre filled tubes.  First night after insertion experienced mild burning, 2 nd night not as bad, 3 rd night 10 minutes after insertion the most intense itching and burning of my life!  Tried to bear for few minutes but couldn't take it.  Ran to shower and hosed myself out as best I could.  Still a little itchy but will have to suck it up for the night.  This is the WORST product ever!
After experiencing all the issues / side effects to the IUD and now Monistat when will it stop!  STOP giving/ making drugs for women that create new problems and make the ones we have worse!    It's crazy these products are still out there but even more crazy that our gov that is suppose to protect us is not.  It all comes down to money.  
From now on I will remember ..... Don't trust any drugs, FDA,drug companies and possibly the Doctors pushing the bad drugs.  my vagina is not your experiment or cash cow!
I am EXTREMELY glad I found this forum. Same story with the cvs generic monostat 1 causing vagina fire. I think my psychological freaking out was making it worse! Anyway, here's how I found relief:

1. Cleaned up any white ooze on my external labia
2. Placed tampon to keep it from oozing anymore
3. Blow dried labia on cool setting
4. Applied neosporin all over the swollen, outside parts of my vagina
5. Took anti inflammatory and antihistamine (Benadryl & ibuprofen)
6. Rolled 3 ice cubes in a ziplock and paper towel and seated it as deep in my crotch as possible
7. Kept reading this thread to try to calm down knowing others experienced it, too and realize I wasn't going to die.

I was damn sure I had taken monostat before, but never had this vagina fire as a result of it! But after checking myself ins mirror and seeing the white cream ooze out of me, I remembered that the product I used in the past was not a cream-filled giant gelcap! So.... Had I known this **** was cream, I wouldn't have bought it as I already know my vagina skin doesn't like creams but is ointment friendly. I hope to figure out which product I had used in the past for future reference. This giant cream-filled torture device is definitely from hell!

One more thing... My mom is a skin specialist and has mentioned to me before that creams are more meant to deliver drugs, whereas ointments are more to protect and soothe.
I bought Monistat 3 for a very mild yeast infection.  I regret it so much.  I followed the directions and inserted the first ovule and then smeared the corresponding cream in the packet on the outside all over my labia.  I didn't experience any ill effects for several hours, a slight burning, but nothing unbearable.  After a few hours, I started to get the chills, I couldn't get warm no matter what.  Then the burning started.  I had to get up at 11:30 out of bed and drive to a drug store to find some medicated wipes to try to make it better.  By that point, I was very swollen and red, all over my vagina.  The chills remained as well.  Miraculously, I was able to fall asleep for awhile, but once I woke up to go to work the next day, I could barely get up.

On day 2, I developed a fever which completely knocked me out.  I stayed  home from work and spent 7 hours in bed.  When my husband got home, he took me to urgent care.  I didn't use any more of the monistat before the first application.  By the time I got to urgent care, I had developed very prominent bumps all over my vagina and it was incredibly painful.  Of course, the doctor thought I had herpes and insisted on a culture, but I knew that wasn't the issue.  She prescribed me Diflucan for the infection, but I was on my own for figuring out the pain.

I'm on day 4 of this, and I'm finally starting to feel vaguely human.  I was out of work for 2 days and when I returned on the third day, I wasn't doing very well.  Sitting in a chair is difficult and standing and going to the bathroom isn't any better.

I tried all of the following to make it better:  sitz baths with apple cider vinegar (helps a little), baths with baking soda (didn't work for me), benadryl (didn't work), desitin (made it worse), ice packs (definitely made the swelling go down), dermoplast (helped numb the pain for a bit), vitamin E capsules (these worked best for me by far.  They made the swelling go down and the bumps reduce as well as soothed the pain).  I've spent over $100 on this ridiculousness, I can't believe it's been this bad.  Needless to say, I will NEVER use this again, and I will make sure and let anyone know that it's awful who might be considering it.
Use monistat 7, I have the same problem with 1 and 3, not so much with 7.
Never in my 23 years of life have I felt the fire and itching I'm experiencing in my cookie tonight. It makes bacterial vaginosis feel like a cake walk. This is my first time having a yeast infection and knew what it was when the symptoms started. Strange, white clumps, itching, burning while urinating, and baked bread smell. I asked my mom to pick up Monistat because upon researching yeast infections, it was a widely recommended product. She brought home Monistat 1. I cleaned the area, stuck the ovule up as far as I could, used the cooling wipes, and lightly applied the cream. At first I felt mild burning and thought nothing of it as it was tolerable. But about an hour later, had the urge to pee and then wished I could carve out my cookie and prayed that this was not going to be the end of my days because of suicide by cookie removal. I was itching so bad I started crying hysterically while racing for a steaming hot washcloth that I used to rub my cookie raw until the itching wasn't so unbearable. Finally, I calmed down enough to reapply the cream which made me frantically itch for another 10 minutes until it subsided. Now I'm laying here with what feels like a burning piece of coal inside my cookie and stomach cramps that feel like I have food poisoning. I decided to stick out the pain as I want the infection gone but I am desperate to know if the worst is over. I will never ever use this product again. I hope that my cookie still works after this nightmare.
I believe after tonight monistat should be sued for this same problem. Bought this garbage at the store. Came home thank god decide to put this junk in before I went to bed. Then it started the slight burning then it became worse I felt like tearing my insides out. Started throwing up and crying. It scared the hell out of me luckily the crap was still half in tack. Removed it and started in the coldest bath I could and sat in it. Did the peroxide wash with some cold water and took a Benadryl still burns. Very cold now and worried called the ER no help and the store we got it from also nothing worse feeling ever would never use again should be taken off the market before some one really gets hurt worse then we have hopefully this helps others and we should get together to make sure this is off the market for good
I used this for the first time tonight (3day monistat). Horrid. Within min it was burning like crazy. Tried to scoop out and then emptied the stuff out of a douche I bought but never used and filled it with cold water. Did this about six times and it really helped. Took Benadryl and sitting here with a cold pack on my burning hoo hoo.  I'm scared to look and see if it did any damage. Very painful. Won't be doing that again :(
Did the summer eve work?
READ BEFORE USE:
I'm 16 years old, I only started having sex about 4 months ago. This is all totally new to me, so of course when I first saw the redness and itchiness (before use of monistat) I went through the entire "oh my god I have and STD" scare.. I told my mom though and after experiencing the same thing herself, she told me to get monistat and we all just assumed it was a YI (which I'm still pretty sure it is, my boyfriend plays sports and gets a physical every season, and gets tested for STDs and the results were negative) The first time I put this product in, it burned like hell. I was in tears.  The next day everything looked and felt better, me and my boyfriend tried to have sex but stopped due to pain. Which, I know, is INCREDIBLY stupid to do with a YI, but i didn't know this since I've never been to a GYNO and didn't research anything. Later that night I came home and put in the medicine. It hurt so incredibly bad, i was on my floor screaming and crying and begging my mom to take me to the E.R. I think its most likely from the medicine getting into a tear, but either way, this should ABSOLUTELY NOT be allowed. I don't care one bit if it works for a few girls. This is not like getting a new face wash and it breaking you out a little bit.  This is excruciating pain. A product not working for someone is usually not a big deal, but if it causes this much pain to this many people it shouldn't be allowed period. It's been about an hour and I've taken 4 ibuprofen and its just barely blocking out all the pain..my vagina is still basically pulsating.. btw, washing it out only made it burn more. so you basically just have to sit there and scream and deal with it til it goes away. PLEASE don't use this product.
I had the same reaction. I got a yeast infection and am thinking it came from the double dose of progesterone my doctor prescribed. I am also trying to get pregnant. In fact my whole body is itching! When I tried the monistat it made it so so so much worse. couldn't stand it. Im glad I read this post because as soon as I got it out I felt much better.
"... this should ABSOLUTELY NOT be allowed. I don't care one bit if it works for a few girls...."

Really.
The pain, was unbearable. Hot poker is an underestimate.Fire, more like it.I was red, swollen, and my vaginal area inside and out was covered with chemical burns. Walking was not an option.It has been 2 weeks and it is still
painful. Had to go to the airport yesterday and at one point I had to stop because my eyes were tearing it hurt so bad......why is this on the market
Hey ladies, I've had the same issues with Monistat 1. After going through the same agony, my gyn advised me of taking AZO Yeast pills(MIRACLE). These pills not only help with a yeast infection, but taking one everyday will prevent one. I refuse to use this deadly Monistat ever again in life.
I had the same horrible burning that started about 30 minutes after inserting the Monostat 1 suppository.  I thought I was dying.  I even saw a pink tinge of blood.  I was desperate, so it mixed one teaspoon of baking soda in about 1 cup of water and with a small baster, did a douche.  Almost instant relief!!  That was about 12 hrs. ago and am still not having any pain.
Viewing 201-349 comments: