Horseradish
I tried to post on the pregnancy forum but it was full. I am 7 weeks pregnant now and I wanted your advice. I ate horseradish tonight for dinner. I looked on the internet and alot of web sites are against eating horseradish while pregnant. I then found pregnancy recipes that included this. I am confused. Can you eat it while your pregnant or not?
Well, both times I was pregnant, my doctor gave me a list of food that you ARE NOT supposed to eat, and dont quote me on this, but I dont ever recall seeing horseradish on either of them....Ive never heard of not being able to eat that....you could call your dr. office, or an advice nurse for some immediate answers, but I'm pretty sure that its ok.--wherever you read/heard that you arent supposed to eat horseradish, was there an explanation given as to why?
I don't know, I seriously doubt there's a problem with it. Honestly, I take all those diet warnings with a grain of salt. I look at it this way - if horseradish really were an abortifacient, I'd think every woman with an unwanted pregnancy would be eating jars of the stuff. Also, I've never heard of a woman having a miscarriage as a result of eating it - and if it were at all common, you'd hear about it everywhere. I think you're fine :-)
well, the concern isnt usually miscarriage, its usually something in the food that can do harm to the baby, such as cause birth defect, and sometimes miscarriage/death...thats why I asked what is supposidly in horseradish that is bad....most things that are natural/organic are usually ok.
im assuming the horseradish you ate was the kind all mushed that you buy in a jar? OR are you talking about the actual horseradish root? did you just cook with it or eat it plain?  

i would think/guess the pre-made jar kind is safer (since its not as potent)as opposed to the root or making it yourself from the root. it does say to avoid it during pregnancy because it may cause miscarriage and is one of many others to avoid. also during breastfeeding.

i remember when i was pregnant, i just wanted a cup of herbal tea. since i was sooo paranoid about certain herbs in tea, i researched it, even called my dr. then im like, if im going through this much trouble and questioning it so much, i just wont drink it. plus, if some researchers/herbalists say its ok and some say not ok, id rather be on the safe side and just not have it. i seriously wouldnt worry about it. its great that you are concerned and aware though!!
i think horseradish is known to be a diuretic. its been used to treat kidney stones and is also a digestive stimulant (among other things). so, i THINK thats why they say to steer clear of it if pregnant (large amounts) because it may stimulate the uterus.
i DONT eat the stuff pregnant or not but i have an awesome herbal book (which i cannot find at the moment) and going from memory..that could be dangerous in itself!
I just decided last night to look it up because I had it last night and after I ate it, I realized that it was rather strong. It was from a package not the root. I researched it on the internet and I know I am being very paranoid. It said on a number of websites that women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should not eat this and that it is a herb. None of them could give an explanation though. But like I said, there were also recipes on a few of the pregnancy websites. I just freaked out. Thank you all for replying.
I wouldnt worry about it too much. Lots of strong, pungent foods can upset your baby, but they will get over it. Maybe lay off it for a while if your truely concerned.
Its always best to air on the side of caution, horseradish is thought to have abortive effects and is thought to reduce the thyroids uptake of IODINE which is ESSENTIAL for your unborn babies brain development so why would you risk?  Our soils are lacking in iodine which means we're not getting it through our fruit and veg like we should and we are one of the only western country that doesn't use iodized salt in commercial food preparation.  So unless you do as our mums did and use a little iodized salt in cooking etc, or are taking a supplement you may be deficient making horseradish a poor diet choice.