Hot baths during pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Hot baths during pregnancy

Hey everyone.  Quick question.  I know you're not supposed to raise your core temp above 100 degrees during pregnancy.  Well, I am always freezing.  My nose, hands, and feet are usually very cold to the touch.  Therefore, I soak in the tub to warm up.  I never sweat or feel that it is too hot for me, but is it safe for the baby.  I figure if I am cold than my core temp must be lower anyway so it has higher to go to raise it.  Any thoughts.  (I don't use a hot tub, just soak in my bath tub and usually just long enough to warm myself up).
Hi, and congratulations on your pregnancy.

As far as I understand, what you don't want to do is be in hot water where it would cover you to your neck. I imagine a hot tub could provide this type of water coverage, where as a bathtub would not. I worked with a woman once who had been in a hot tub before she knew she was pregnant and the water did in fact cover her up to her neck. She was very concerned about the baby after she found out she was pregnant. I would assume a sauna would fall into this category, too, since it could raise the core temperature.

I think a phone call to the doctor's office is always appropriate if you have any concerns. There are no "wrong" or dumb questions. I am not a doctor, but, my opinion is that you probably do not have to be concerned, but do put your mind at ease and check with the doctor or nurse if you are worried. Your attention to detail is admirable.

Good luck! Mary
The body temp not to exceed is either 102 degrees or 104 degrees for a certain period of time.  Baths aren't the culprit as much as hot tubs, but if you are concerned, first google "baths during pregnancy" to confirm the temperature number, and then try taking a bath with a thermometer in your mouth to see how warm you get.  Who_dis did this for us once in the spirit of science, stayed in 20 minutes, and took her temp and found that her body temp even raised after she got out.
Great advice, Annie...I was uncomfortable after I posted. I thought of how my body temp raises after I take a hot bath. I like the idea of testing to be sure. No sense risking anything, really.

Mary
Thaks everyone.  I think I will test out the thermometer thing.  My hubby also pointed out that if the bath water is to hot my 3 year old wouldn't jump in with me.
Get your thyroid checked.
I find when I am too dormant I get cold.  A bit of light exercise warms me up!
It is recommended that you dont allow your "core" body temperature to rise above 102F during pregnancy so things like hot tubs and hot baths are not recommended.  If the bath water is cooler than 102F to begin with (you can easily test this by dipping a regular thermometer in the water before you get in), then your core temperature will not rise above this temperature.  You can also periodically check your body temperature periodically to ensure you arent "over-heating".

Here is a good website I found with the do's and don'ts during pregnancy - I had no idea you were supposed to avoid electric blankets and water beds!

http://www.bygpub.com/natural/pregnancy.htm
I took hot hot hot baths with all three kids.. never had an issue, but that was me - they say don't do it.. sooooo... I'd ask the doc.  :)
Yes, my temp raised even afterward, but not to any degree that would be considered dangerously high. I forget how high, but it wasn't much.

HI, everyone!
I love everyone in here!!  You are all so helpful.  Thanks for everything.
:)