How can I produce more breastmilk?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

How can I produce more breastmilk?

I pump about 5-6 ounces a day and I also nurse... But it's really hard to get a supply going since she eats so darn much.
She's 16 days old, and when I dont get enough breast milk, we usually run out by about 11pm, so the rest of the night I give her similac soy formula. I try to drink as much water as I can, and I eat well and healthy... I just can't get enough milk for her.
Are there any tips on producing more milk? My breast size is still basically the same.. Still wearing a 34-b... Do they have to get really big in order to get more milk?

Here's the link that I said I'd post like 2 weeks ago. I've been super busy, and the page isnt done yet. But there it is.:-)
http://babiesonline.com/babies/m/mommajenni/
Are you working or have to leave the baby in someone else's care for part of the day, is that why you pump?  How do you pump?  Manually, with an electric pump, with a hand pump?

The more you nurse, the more milk you will produce... the baby will get more milk out of a breast than a pump will.  So, just because you don't pump out "enough" doesn't mean there isn't enough for nursing.
Drink fish soup with young payaya.  It will help to produce more breastmilk.  And also nurse more, coz when there is a demand there is a supply and tried to pump out at least every 3 to 4 hours a day, that will also help to stimulate more milk.  Happy breastfeeding and God Bless
Breast size has nothing to do with how much milk you can produce. To boost your milk supply, if this is possible for you, try to feed your baby every 2-3 hours for a day or 2. Don't pump, just nurse, and this should build your supply. As the other ladies said, it is all about supply and demand. When you notice your baby wanting to eat a lot, it is probably a growth spurt. Go with it and let her boost your supply.

I know what it's like to have a big eater, my daughter was the same way. I also realized since she wouldn't take a pacifier, that I was the human pacifier. She was in the 90% for weight at 4 months! So, I asked (rather begged) the lactation consultants if I should supplement with formula and they said almost all women can keep up with their babies demands as long as they keep up frequent stimulation of those glands. Good luck to you!!
I am sorry, i don't have any advice about producing more milk, but I wanted to tell you that you and your daughter are absolutely beautiful!
Contratulations!!

When my youngest was born he was 6 weeks premie and also couldnt suck, but I never really had the support to breastfeed, I wasnt too great with my eldest either. I had the same prob in the sence that I thought I wasnt making enough. I agree with above to nurse as much as pos because I found out later that expressing isnt all that great for making more milk as the babys mouth is designed to get the milk out better, and I found the same when I tried to express, and cos I was scared he would become under weight I gave a bottle once and that was me over. I regreted it ever since, but u sound like ur really trying hard.

Im not sure about the herbal remedies but Im sure u can give them a try.

All the best!! (lovely pics BTW) Maybe one day u can give me advice on BF :)
I dont work, I stay home with her all day. I pump because it's more convenient to give her a bottle at times, like when we're out and about, at night, or I take off for a few hours and dad is watching her. I have the Medela Pump In Style, it works well, it's electric. I'm on that thing alot, about 3 times a day. Early morning, afternoon, and before bed.
.. I have never heard of fish soup. Is that like a Cambells flavor?
She had her first well baby check up, and the doctor said that she gets plenty of milk from me, and that she gets more than the pump gets. So, that's good. :-) I'm going to try very hard to not use the bottle so much, and no more formula.  I'm glad that she accepts both bottle and nipple, she dosnt get confused.  But she said generally the same things yall have said.
When she nurses on one breast, the other one starts leaking... and when I think about nursing, or when I'm not wearing a bra and I keep checking for leakage, it happens. Whenever milk is on my mind, the milk comes out. It's weird...
Thanks girls for the advice. It came in handy.
:-D
Congratulations! Good for you, that you are breast feeding. It has so many advantages for you and the baby.

You can also try drinking hop tea (or non-alcoholic beer if you can't find the tea). In Ireland they recommend drinking Guiness, but .... :)

I faced this dilemna when nursing my son.  I knew I was going to be hospitalized for surgery shortly and needed to have a stock up in the refrigerator.  I knew that the first feeding of everyday was the biggest.  Even though my son nursed at night,  There was still a longer period of time between feedings then. I got up first thing, right before he was ready to nurse, but when my body was ready and pumped then.  I always got the most ammount of milk then.  Then a few minutes later when he woke up to nurse, I nursed him.  A baby is better able to nurse from you than a pump, even the best kind.  Even when the pump can't get milk, your child will be able to.  After a few days, my body began to produce more and more milk at this time of the day. I could often get as much as 12-16 oz at this time, which I froze for later use.
It is also important to use a really good breast pump, Like the medela.  It is more efficient and has better results.  I know they are expensive, but they can be rented.  I bought mine, used it for both my children, my sister used it for hers, then I sold it for almost as much as I got it for originally.
Hope this helps
Here is some really good advise...Can't find Hop tea and don't want to drink beer? eat oatmeal several times a day and on top of that drink a glass of juice. The oatmeal works similar to the hops.  If you are worried about your blood sugar levels you can also take juice( I recommend Juicy Juice since it is 100% natural without added sugars like corn syrup) and mix it half juice and water and drink it that way. Trust me it still tastes good. Also to replenish electrolytes try Pedialyte mixed half with water. This is not for baby but for you, ask your doctor before you begin food and other liquids for baby.  Grape tastes best this way to me. Just remember for every 3 lbs of body weight you should drink 2 oz of fluid...so if you weigh 150lbs you should drink 100 oz of fluid minimum.. I also try pumping a little bit after she eats because breasts produce "hind milk" which is higher in fat and calories and is good for feeding while I am away. It certainly calms her when she is missing mommy! The ultimate baby comfort food. Don't give up on breastfeeding, if you still need more support look up La Leche League, I am not associated with them but have found them to be helpful
I work full time and only get a chance to pump once a day at work, i nurse once i get home, all night. do you girls have any tips on how i can produce more milk for my daughter. i get only 2 ounces a pump.
try drinking non coffeine tea with whole milk. That's what I do! I have a 8 days old baby boy who eats ALOT! He is a big baby and was born 10lbs! But literally tea helps! He is never hungry and I feed him every 2 hours plus after he eats I still have milk to pump! Remember more often you empty your breast more milk you will get to replace it :))).
apko jada milk chiyhe to bazzar se le aao. ok inka dimag na khrab kro
can coke also help
has anyone ever heard of mixing 1 cup milk 1/2 cup condensed milk and half an avocado  to help produce more milk or is this silly