How do I prepare for a Hysterosalpingogram (HSG)?
Hi, I've recently been to see about having my sterilisation reversed.  My consultant wants me to have an HSG to see what state my tubes are in.  He told me that since I'm sterilised it doesn't matter where I am in my cycle.  When I booked the test I told the receptionist this and she booked me in for 08/08/06 which was 2 weeks away, and said I mustn't have sex until after the test.  However I've had to change the booking, and when I tried to re-book it the receptionist first of all insisted it had to be done between 10 - 14 days into my cycle (but I'm away on holiday then) and then said I couldn't have sex from 2 weeks before my period was due until after the test (but my period's due less than 2 weeks away).  I've now got an appointment which she was very reluctant to give me, for 29/08/06, which would be around Day 19, but she still said I have to ring her and tell her when my period starts. I'm very confused!  It's difficult for me to ring again and keep asking as I'm in a busy office and don't want everyone listening.  Does anyone know a) whether the ban on sex is just to make sure I'm not pregnant (in which case it wouldn't apply) and b) as I've been sterilised, does it matter or not where I am in my cycle ?
Sorry this is a bit long winded!
I had an HSG a few months ago and they told me the same thing.  It is just to make sure that you are not pregnant.  I would call them and ask if it would be ok if you had sex but using protection.  They have to give you an appointment that is closer to when your period is finished.  If they do not have anything available then try going to another radiologist.  Just an FYI...the procedure is extremely uncomfortable.  It feels like really, really, really bad period cramps.  Before you go I would take two motrin or advil.  It is unpleasant to do but worth it in the long run.
It's really more uncomfortable than it is painful. I took a Xanax and an Aleve beforehand, and I really think it helped.
Thanks for that, I'm a bit less confused now than I was!  I had looked the procedure up on various sites and they all say something along the lines of "may be slight discomfort" which I took to mean "will be really painful!" so I'm definitely planning to take painkillers before I go in!
I had the test years ago and yes it is painful. I went cold turkey because I didn't know I could ask for something to ease the side effects.  After I was dressed and walking down the hall I became dizzy and felt like I was going to pass out.  Don't be in a rush to leave, wait a few and make sure you feel ok to walk and drive.  Good luck
Thanks all for your comments :o)
I had the preocedure more than 10 years ago and I still remember it today. (Incidentally I vowed to myself then, that I would never do it again, and guess what???? My doctor wants me to do it again. I should have gone it 8months ago and just have been relctant to. I have suffered really bad menstrual cramps and believe me. THis is worse. I got no meds before and could not even drive home. Also for at least a weeek later I was sore, could not walk or sit comfortably. It was that bad. Don't let anyone fool you ladies it is very very painful. I'm yet to hear of someone who said it was a stroll in the park.
I just had HSG done yesterday and it was almost painless. I was prepared for bad cramping but nothing happened. I felt a little pressure when he was trying to get through my left tube which he eventually did but that was probably the only discomfort. I am not sure if that makes a difference but I had a baby in the past. Anyway, I just want to say that it does not have to be such a hell for everybody.
Hi, I just randomly passed by this website because I just had my HSG this morning.  Of course, I read ALL about the procedure before I went in, but I sure wish I had read about the PAIN!  My gosh was it horrible.  I wept and whimpered like a baby pup.  I was terrified that the pain would never stop.  The first thing that went through my mind as I left the radiology department was... my gosh, if I can't even take a HSG exam, how would I ever survive child birth!  It really freaked me out.  Thank goodness the pain was only for about 5 mins.  But seriously, I could never be put through that again.  No way!  

Good luck to all you ladies that have to still take this exam.  Make sure that you take some good pain killers, mine obviously were useless.  But then again, my tubes were blocked and my doctor had to push a little more than usual to get the liquid to fill in everywhere... so I hope that was the only reason for the extreme pain.  Let's cross fingers that now I can finally get pregnant!    
I'm just wondering if anyone on this forum has (or knows of women who've had) healthy kids after having the HSG test; would appreciate any success stories, especially from women who are in their late thirties/early forties who had the HSG several years ago. Thanks so much!