How effective is the pull out method?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

How effective is the pull out method?

I just finished breastfeeding and haven't gotten my period yet.  My hubby insists that the pull out method is safe...I do not agree.  Anyway, I stopped breastfeeding about a month ago and have not gotten my period so I was wondering how effective the pull out method is...should I be worrying?
Even if they pull out there can still be some precum.  But I have heard that as long as the guy has urinated since the last time they ejaculated that there is no sperm in precum.
I just got a phamplet from the Dr on all methods of bc, and according to that the withdrawal (pullout) method is 70%.
it worked for me for about 8 years. not saying the 8th year i got pregnant using withdrawl (withdrawal) but got pregnant using the rythym (sp) method.
hey there...just wanted to let you know - i heard withdrawal was 80%...I am now pregnant - 1 1/2 months later!
thats how my mom got pregnant with me but who knows
Both of my sisters and I are results of the pull out method and its lack of effectiveness. However, my best friend and her husband used the method effectively for seven years and then decided to conceive and conceived quite quickly. After the birth of their son who will be two next week, they reverted back to the pull out method until once 3-4 months ago when they decided to begin ttc again and they conceived with their second child. So, my friend would swear by the method. However, my mother would swear it doesn't work worth a lick. The reality is that precum occurs, and you can definitely conceive with even a small amount of precum (although it isn't very common). Best wishes!
My husband and I have been together for 4 1/2 years and we did not get pregnant until we wanted a baby. All we have ever used was the pull out method. I have never had sex with anyone besides my husband so I dont know if this is normal or just him, but I know that he does withdraw like a minute before he cums to make sure that nothing goes inside of me. I am not saying that it is fool proof but it is alot healthier than b/c and feels alot better than a condom. I would talk to your doctor to see what they say.
My husband and I have been using the pullout method for the past 9 years with great success.  We started trying to get pregnant at the end of September and we were by November.  We did get pregnant accidently twice  before that 9 years but we knew exactly when we had slipped up.  We have two beautiful boys to show for it! For nine years we knew my cycle pretty well!  Nothing but abstinence in 100% effective.  I liked not having any side effects or pills to remember and our attitude was if it happened it happened.
I bet the success (or lack thereof) has alot to do with the man's level of self control.
So actually how long does it take to get your period after you stop breastfeeding...cuz i am in the same boat???
Withdrawal worked for us, but the man has to have very good self control. There is controversy on whether precum has semen in it or not. It works well for a lot of people though. It also helps to know your cycle very well and abstain if you can on the days you know you are ovulating.
70 to 80% effectiveness still leaves a lot of room for pregnancy!  you would think with all the money put into medical research, they would have come up with a safe, effective AND pleasant method of birth control by now, wouldn't you?
i agree sk!
my husband and i used that method only because we both agreed if it happened, it happened ya know? only it never did. it was the rythym (sp again!) that got me pregnant. no idea what the stats are on that method but at the time. i suspected rare!!! nope.
My 10 year old is a pull out baby.  SO I don't always trust that method, however, it has worked for us for the most part.  But I've also just found out I have endo, so that could by why it's worked for us.
It took me 16 years to get pregnant with my first baby at the age of 34. And I had seen an infertility specialist, taken clomid for years, taken pergonal, timed relations, charting, ect. (When I did conceive it was years after giving up all the above methods) It took me another 8 years to have my next baby. So you can see I am not the most fertile person on the planet.

So taking that into consideration, and the fact that I am breastfeeding, and that I have not yet resumed my monthly cycles, and the fact that hubby is experienced at pullout, and the fact that he had been gone on business for weeks and came home for one day and we had relations with good pullout, I got pregnant.

SOooooooo, it pullout good contraception?  Ha!

My midwife almost laughted when I told her I was shocked that I had conceived given the above. She said that pullout has about a 25% failure rate....or would you say success rate as the babies that come along certainly can't be called "failure."  :)

Karen
my girl and i had sex 2 or 3 times without a condom and now she is a week late on her period. were both really worried. she threw up tonight in the middle of the night and i think this might be morning sickness.. im scared to really no for  sure.... what do you think
what does everyone think... honestly im 18 and i have never really been scared too bad in my life until now... im freakin out
she might be pregnant. you can very much get pregnant by a guy pulling out. it doesnt work. but for a LOT of girls it gets them pregnant

if shes a week late why havent the two of you gotten her a test. its a lot more effective than asking people on the internet. only a test or a doctor will be able to tell you two
well ur girl might be pregnant i got pregnant twice like that  so why dont u just get a home pregnancy test...its scary but if u guys are willing to work through it u'll be able to i mean i am making it with two kids and im single.....did i mention i am only 19
the pull out method works if used properly....i know alot of ppl that have been together for a long time and thats the only method they use and dont get pregnant until they decide to and i also want to know how long it takes to get ur period after breastfeeding cuz it's been six months since i last breastfed and i still havent gotten it
I didn't get my period until my baby started eating solids, I think coz he was depending less on the milk and I was producing less so my hormones started working. I am sure everyones a little different, but that has been my experience
I agree with gooberwatts.  I think that the pull out method needs to be explained in much greater detail before we can assign a measure of effectiveness to it.  The problem seems to be that some men are good at it and some are not and so the measure of success seems to be based more on how much a typical man has enough self control rather than how good the method is when executed properly.  

My wife and I have successfully used this method for years.  One thing I do is make sure I pull out early enough and masturbate to ejaculation.  Early enough in my book means at least ten seconds.  Another tip that I'd like to offer is that the man ejaculate on a regular basis (at least every other day).  This helps keeps the sperm count low enough so that when he does actually engage in sex that there is little to no sperm available to begin with.  Men have various refractory periods in which they build enough sperm to actually create a pregnancy.  Obviously the more often a man ejaculates the lower his sperm count is at any given moment.  A sure recipe for disaster is waiting for your wife to get in the mood (which can take days or weeks) and then finally having sex with a dangerously high sperm count.

Anyway, I hope this helps - it's been good for us.
the pull out method is not effective.
The pull-out method is 75% safe assuming the man has some experience with it, normal pre-ejaculatory fluid, and a high sperm count. Of course, if his sperm count is particularly low or his pre-ejaculatory fluid is particulary spermless, which can happen (rarely), then it's much safer.
But anyway, what this 75% effectiveness thing means is that if you have sex with a woman at the right time of the month, the male's pre-ejaculate is potent, and you pull-out, you have a 1 in 4 chance of getting the girl pregnant in every one instance. That means after 4 times, you statistically should've gotten the girl pregnant.
Many who report success over a long period of time usually know how to "cheat" this system. Someone gave some tips (masturbating regularly to keep sperm count low, and a woman suggested having sex at a very particular time of the month). Those who keep in mind these suggestions will have a much better chance.
But the pull-out method doesn't protect against STI's, and isn't as effective as using a condom correctly. Please consider deeply before using this method... If you don't do it just right, and many don't, you'll end up like FIVE of my female friends, with babies at 15, 17, 18, 17, and 20. Also, at least one of them has herpes. So keep this in mind. The pull-out method straight up is the least safe form of contraception.
last night my boy friend and i were having sex when he realized that the condom had slipped off. When this happened, we stopped what we were doing immediatly. he says hes not worried because he didn't finish. I SUPPOSE this is a form of the pull-out method- the fact that we stopped when we realized we were no longer protected- but im not sure if i should be worried or go to get plan B. any suggestions?
hello everyone.
okay well here's my story;
I'm fourteen; going to be fifteen in April.
i had sex with this kid two days ago.
and we used the pullout method because a condom wasn't available.
it was on the first day of my ovulation cycle and he pulled out like five seconds before and then wiped it off and we continued.
does anyone know my chances of being pregnant?
and if you do; please help!
no one can calculate your chances of being pregnant; but you really can't afford a chance to take on a baby if you're fourteen. Get your diploma, finish college, find a loving husband, and go from there.
i could really use some advice for anyone that has any!
im 19 and almost 4 months pregnant and not qutie sure
about the father..i was in a relationship for 3 years and
we split in april and got with someone new in June. I
was having sex with him (USING THE PULLOUT
METHOD) until october. we had problems and split
up in that time and i had sex with my ex that i was with
for 3 years and he did NOT pull out...and i had sex with
him sometime after aug 15 and got preg the first week
of september...but had sex with my ex more than just
once...could anyone help me on who you think could
me the father? thanks so much!
Only a paternity test will reveal the answer, mommytobeinjune. Any other guesses are about as accurate as flipping a coin.

People claiming percentages on the pullout method are practicing pseudoscience. "My mom said this" or "I knew a couple who did that" validates nothing. My personal anecdote: people lie and make mistakes. Rely on no one's personal experiences as scientific evidence. Speaking of which, here's the peer-reviewed, scientifically studied information:

If the male partner withdraws before ejaculation every time a couple has vaginal intercourse, about 4% of couples will become pregnant over the course of a year. However, more realistic estimates of typical use indicate that about 18% of couples will become pregnant in a year using withdrawal. These rates are only slightly less effective than male condoms, which have perfect- and typical-use failure rates of 2% and 17%, respectively.

This speaks only to pregnancy, and at best assumes strict self- control and "normal" ejaculation by the male.
I would much rather have a back up to try and keep from getting pregneant..It is safer for you to use other ways and that then just pulling out.Men have discharge before they actually get off so you can still get pregneant.I wouldnt want the worry of him getting caught up in the moment and forgeting either,you know
Im 18 and I had sex with my boyfriend a week after my peroid using the pull out method. He has very good self control. How high are the chance of me getting preg???
me and my fiance have been using the pullout method since the second time we ever had sex. the first time we used a  condom and it broke so we said we needed to figure out a different way. we've been using this method for 3 years now and im not pregnant.
i am 16 and my girl and i had sex recently without a condom, and used the "pull out method". before we had sex she missed her period, i pulled out a minute before i came to prevent her from getting pregnant. . . she has been pregnant before tooo. . . .please helpppppp
My husband and I have been using the pull-out-method for 10 years now. I got pregnant once two years ago though... I think we made a mistake by having sex again without him urinating (clearing out the previous "left-overs") after the second time.
We have 3 beautiful children, two of them were planned, and one - we were just preparing for ttc - was the result of us not taking the time to make sure we were "clear".
I only recommend the pull out method if your partner can surely control his ejaculation. It needs self control and experience! But if done right, it is effective.
i am 19, i have been on and off with a guy for 6 years now but have had other sexual partners within that time... for the past month we have been having sex and using the pull out method. and i have not had my period and i have taken 2 tests and they have come out negative, has this happened to anyone else before?
hi , me and my boyfriend have been doing the pull out method for 2 yrs now . for some reason i missed my period , my boobs are kiilling me , i have headaches and my throat was killing me yesterday . i`m so confused bc i also work at a daycare an been stressed out a lot . can any one help . idk wat to think !
thanks .
Me and my boyfriend used the pull out method and when af came it only lasted for two days so I think I might of gotten pregnant using that method and plus it also around the time I ovulate since then I been feeling sick and everything well not vomiting but nausea and on and off stmach pains
Love your post- that is awesome!!!! :)
It's I mostly about the man being honest and having self Control. If a person thinks a tiny speck of left over pree *** gets them pregnant then they are denying the real fact that your man left it in to long and got a actual shot off before pulling out. I used it with my wife for years. I know myself and body well and have great self control and can make myself hold or fire at will. One time we were really having a good time and I got wrapped up in the romance of the moment and just said to heck with it I want to be inside the woman I love. That one time just that one after several years gave us our first son. So it depends on the man. And I do not prematurely shoot off. Although I do now want to get fixed after two kids due to the I think intamacy that's missed out on with this method. I love my wife and I want to be inside her as long as possible when we have sex and keep it there and lay on her and hug her and it's romantic that way for me.  
Hey everyone.
My name is hope,I'm 17. I know I'm too young:( but
I really need some advice, me and this guy had sex about two days ago and we use the pull out method. But I really honestly don't remember if he pulled out enough time to masturbate before he cam. But wen he pulled out he cam right then it seemed like it.
I'm worried tht I'm pregnant://
Wht do u think my chances are tht I am
the pull-out method works if ur not very fertile. My husband and I have been using that method for about 6 years and its been working we started pulling out when our son turned 2 and it work now we are trying again...
Hey, i had sex with my girlfriend recently with a condom and pulled out before ejaculation, only to find a hole in the side of the condom. It is about a week after and she says she has tender breasts, but these are also a sign of her period. What do you think? What are the odds of her being pregnant?
I have been in a relationship for four years but have only been having sex for two years since we decided to abstain from sex in the beginning. I have used the withdrawal method and it has worked fine for us.
ask maury you dumb hoe
listen youre fourteen. that makes me want to throw up in my mouth a little bit. I didnt have sex until i was twenty. having sex should be something special that you share with somebody youre in love with. youre fourteen. you probably didnt get your period until like two years ago. you have your whole life ahead of you, dont spread your legs to every boy you think is cute. youre going to wind up hurt, alone, living off of welfare in a trailer park. sorry to be so blunt but wake up and smell the coffee. guys dont care about your feelings. they just care about whats between your legs.
I do the pull out method I am 18 and I hope I dont get pregnant cause that would suck ... my parents dont even know I have Sex while they are downstairs .. but I cant help it I think I m addicted to Sex and it ll started after I got taped by my uncle .. but I dont want to tell my parents that I really need to talk to someone
please find someone qualified in the areas you wish to talk about. About birth control, about your uncle.  Perhaps go to your GP or a school nurse.  

It is very important to protect yourself not only from unwanted pregnancy but also from sexually transmitted infections/diseases.  

The pull out method is ineffective against infections and diseases.  Condoms will protect against these

I am freaking out too.. I am a week late, and my stomach is sorta bulged, I hope that I am just bloated.. I am only 17.. I am so terrified.. I don't know what I am going to do if I am pregnant..