How long does it ake hCG to get into your blood and urine stream?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Hi. I was wondering how long it takes for the hormone hCG to be detectable in your blood and urine stream. (If pregnancy occurs).
Would 3 weeks after your last period be too early to detect hCG?
Thanks for any comments.
3 weeks from the first day of your last period may be too early. but 3 weeks after you have missed your peroid is plenty long enough.
Ok. My last period started on the 25th Septemeber and is due around 22-24th october. I have been experiencing cramps in my lower abdomen since my period finished. I feel as if I am going to 'come on' right now, but that would be a week+ early. Do you think this could be due to anything? Thanks for your comment x
Three weeks is pretty short for you to see hcg in your urine or blood.  Most hpt's can't pick it up until (at most) 4 days before your next period, which is 3 weeks and 3 days before your missed period, (if you're a 28 day cycle gal).  You have to have time for the baby to implant and then start emitting hcg into your system.  Implantation can take anywhere from 6-12 days after ovulation.  Try to be patient, or try to take your mind off of it.  As Tom Petty says "The waiting is the hardest part".  It'll happen, baby dust***********
Thanks ateague! I will just have to wait untill my next period is due I think! Can I just ask you a small question please - is there a possibility I could get pregnancy symptoms before my next period? Thanks xx
Depending on how long your cycle is and the type of test that you are using. Some of the tests that you buy online detects hcg of 20. I got a bfp 5 days before af was due.
Yes, there is a chance you could get pregnancy symptoms before your next period.  The minute the baby implants, you can have all the symptoms of pregnancy, or you could have none.  I just got a BFP yesterday morning.  I've been charting my temp for the past month and had an implantation dip on Friday, which means that's when it implanted.  It took the baby all of 12 days to implant and I've had no symptoms, I mean none, I even had AF-like cramps on Thursday and Friday, so I really thought I wasn't preg.  So, don't think for one minute just because you haven't had any symptoms that you're not preg.
I get ya. I have had plenty of symptoms-morning sickness, cramps, fatigue and very sore breasts- more tender than normal. I just thought it may be too early to get these symptoms. Maybe not!?
I will wait and see! Thanks ateague 4 help- you're a star
Kayleigh,  yes you can get symptoms right away.  I knew within a few days of both times I was pregnant.  My first pregnancy I woke up dry heaving (no alcohol involved :) in the middle of the night and was dead tired.  It was summer and the heat normally doesn't bother me, but it was then!  This time (summer again) the heat was really bothering me, I would get hit with a wave of exhaustion, and I had to pee a lot.  The nausea didn't start until a couple weeks after I got my BFP (day before AF was due).

Good luck!
it takes 2-3 days after implantation for HCG to enter your urine. implantation usually happens 6-14 days after ovulation. hope this helps.

love...kimmie
My pleasure to help.  Good luck and baby dust to you********

Anna
Thanks for your help kimmie_n_angus and waterskigirl, really appreciate it guys!
I am due on my period any time now really. Do you think a HTP would detect the hormone around this point?
Thanks again xx
Hi there,

I had a IUI (Artificial Insemination) procedure done on June 18th.  My next period is due on July 4th.  Do you think it's too early to take a pregnancy test?  Just this morning I started feeling a little sich to my stomach but it went away.  I've been feeling lite cramping for the past 3 days until this morning I had very sharp cramping in my lower abdomal area.  Could these be signs of possible pregnancy?  What are your feelings on the "early detection prefnancy test"?  Do they really work 8 to 10 days before your actual period is due?  When do you think I should take a pregnancy test.  The first day of my last period was on June 5th and I'm due to start on July 4th.  I'm not sure when I should test, I don't want to test too early and get a negative test result.

Thank you!!

Kathleen
IF I am preg., I would be about 2 weeks preg., but today I am having the worst period-like cramps.  I had a miscarriage in the past and am worried that I am having another.  I have read about a million articles online that assures cramps are normal, but I don't remember my cramps being this bad with my son (whom is 2 1/2).  Also, I took a preg. test, but it came back negative.  I have a strong feeling I am preg. thoug, my nipples are extremely sore and like I said, I have the cramping in my lower abdomen.  Oh and it's different with me, because I stopped taking my birth control a month ago, so I don't know when my period should be coming.  My last period was almost 2 months ago.  When would you suggest I take another preg. test?
Hello. I am a week and 3 days late for my period. I have been having lower back pain. Waves of tiredness and nausea during the middle of the night. It wakes me up. My husband and i have been trying to get pregnant so i have been trying to watch when i ovulate so I dont know if this is stress induced or if i am pregnant. I was so excited when i first got the back ache two days after we had had sex and i was to have ovulated. But so far i have taken three epts and i think i took them all to early and they were all negetive. i took them all before my period was due. Do you think i took them to early and i could still be pregnant? I have two other children and i didnt find out about them until i was at least two months pregnant but i wasnt charting anything then and i can be pretty irregular. but since my daughter 2 and a half years ago i havent gone more then a few days past mydate for my period. Any advice would be great thanks ladies.
I had my tubes untied in October 8,2007 and I am not pregnant yet, I've been considering IUI do you think this is too soon.  I really want a child I am 38 years old and I know my chance to get pregnant is running out.
i know this is an old question, but if anyone is still wondering, with my 2nd pregnancy i used an opk in addition to knowing exactly what hour i o'd... then i had a lot of crampy days 3-6 dpo, which i attribute now to implantation, b/c i got a BFP on 8 dpo.  which means implantation occurred very early, if it spilled into urine by 8 dpo.  
once again playing the waiting game... hoping this time is as quick as last time!