WOMEN'S HEALTH
COMMUNITY
How long does it take to cure a yeast infection?
by scaredwoman953, Nov 10, 2006
So here's the deal.  Almost 2 months ago I started getting an itching sensation on my vulva.  I was freaked out that it was a STD, and finally got the guts to face the music and go see a NP who said it is very well a yeast infection on the outside of my vagina.  (I have no abnormal discharge).  She gave me a 3 day regim which seemed to cure the itchiness, but made the area more red and irritated.  So then I got more guts and finally went to a gyno who cultured the red irritated area and checked it out.  She told me that she saw nothing abnormal but saw some yeast.  So there it was confirmed.  A yeast infection of the skin surrounding my vagina.  She gave me diflucan, in on pill to take and also gave me monistat 7 to use as well.  So I took the pill 3 days ago today and have been using the cream since.  I feel better with the itching again, but at night, I think I touch the area, so when I wake up in the morning it's red again.  I feel like these treatments aren't working.  
How long do I have to wait for the treatments to work.  Am I just expecting it to cure the yeast infection too soon? Is this something that takes time to heal?  
It's just really irritating.  It's been almost 2 months and I would like it to go away.
Can anyone give me some insights?  
Also, I got to the gym alot and wait to shower and change out of my gym clothes until I get home.  I have been obstaining from the gym since the day I went to the dr in hopes that it will help make the healing process go a little faster.  
Also, I've been using Dial bar soap to clean the area, is this too strong?
Member Comments (130)
by babyadrian, Nov 10, 2006
hi i used to have this yeast infection, probably 2x a yr. i used monistat (with prescription)and it takes a while to cure it,for me about 4-5 days. but i have to wear loose pants for the meantime, because if you wear tight pants, it doesnt not get better,it help. i know not much help, but i hope you feel better.sometimes it really takes time to cure it.
by Mom2grls0204, Nov 10, 2006
Hi, being that I am a diabetic, I get yeast infection every other month.  It really depends on how bad the infection is.  It can take from 3 to 7 days, unless its really bad and then it may take up to using monistate 7 twice, which would be 14 days.  Good Luck, I know they are irritating. I am nursing one now as well.
by free spirit, Nov 11, 2006
First,  stop using soap of any kind to wash yourself there.  Especially if you are having a problem. Plain water is will work just as well. After going to the gym, change into a pair of sweats or something before you go home. You have to get out of those sweaty clothes. You are predisposing yourself to trouble.

The irritation showing back up in the morning is normal. As for how long it takes to get rid of it, that depends upon the strain.There are many drug resistant strains that take longer courses of treatment to irradicate.  If you reacted to your med, i.e. became more red and irritated than previously, I woulde not use that type again. You would be setting yourself up for a full blown reaction and that really hurts.

If the irritation persists, you should probably ask to get the yeast cultured and typed to find out what it is resistant too. Sometimes it just takes a longer course of treatment.
by SADE-ANTOINETTE, Jul 13, 2007
I JUST HAD MY 1ST YEAST INFECTION... AND ITS SO BOTHERING. I MEAN MY AREA IS RED ITS FEELS LIKE I'M HORNEY ALL THE TIME!! I HAVE TO RUB REALLY HARD AND JUST STAY IN 1 PLACE. I CAN'T EVEN KEEP STILL. I WENT TO GYNO AND SHE SAID ITS A COMMON INFECTION, SHE GAVE ME CREAM AND A PILL, I TOOK YESTERDAY AND TODAY IT FEELS A LITTLE BETTER BUT STILL AGRAVATING, HOW LONG BEFORE I FEEL BETTER AND CAN HAVE SEX AGAIN?
by conlapaz, Jul 13, 2007
Just curious to compare meds, Sade....what were you given?  

Today, I was prescribed Empecid (a clotrimazole vaginal tablet), the same Empecid, but as a cream for the skin, and then Wintomylon (antibiotics) to rule out a blood infection, but could admittedly worsen a yeast infection.
by NoTScareAnYmOrE, Aug 09, 2007
I had my first yeast infection like 3 month ago, 2 weeks ago I went to the gyno and she gave me a pill name Fluconazole (Difulcan) first it was only 1 pill.She told me that this pill is so strong that it will stay in my body for a month. That I shouldn't have sex again in a month but she never told me nothing about monistat, I know about this cream 'cause before I went to the gyno I was using it. So ladys NO SEX IN A MONTH.... :-)
by AydensMommy08, Aug 18, 2007
I went to the doctor 8/15/07 complaining of itching,swelling,burning,redness, and a small red dot between my vagina opening and my anus. They tested me for a yeast infection and it came back positive...ive never had one of these...they gave me 1 pill --FLUCONAZOLE 150MG and a creme for all of the other things (redness,itching,etc.) They also tested me for genital herpes even thought the  nurse said she doubted very seriously that i had it because she'd never saw genital herpes look like that its always much worse. She said in her opinion she thought it was maybe where i might have broke the skin being so sore and irritated, by wiping after i went to the bathroom...im still really worried though i call this wednesday for my results.....im 17 and in 13 days my son will be 1. Im a senior this year and im not worried about not being able to have sex im in a relationship but we've both decided to wait until we're married. IM SCARED!!!!!! CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!! =*[
by starchild7, Sep 11, 2007
Yeast infections SUCK! They can be quite painful, irritating, and annoying. Sounds to me that you have a yeast infection...and they are easy to get. They can be caused by foreign bacteria passed on from fecal matter, your sex partner's penis, hands, mouth (thrush is an oral yeast in the mouth which is evident by a white coating of the tongue).In addition harsh chemicals found in many soaps and detergents can irritate the vagina and contribute to or be the cause of a yeast infection. DO NOT USE DIAL SOAP! of all things, and in fact it is better to use no soap until it has cleared, water will be fine to wash while having an infection.
  I have had two or three in my life and do not use drugs or anitibiotics to treat it. In fact antibiotics only worsen the problem because they kill off all the bacteria in the body even the good bacteria our bodies need to be in a healthy balance. I only use the natural approach to healing ailments. Doctors and pharmaceutical companies want your money, they only give bandaid solutions....in other words they promote sickness not health. Beware!

In the case of a yeast infection it is very important to kill off the "bad" bacteria/fungi that is causing the infection. Tea tree oil, garlic (slice up a clove) and oil of oregano are all very good at killing these organisims. I use all three ( rotate them) topically as needed and it works fast. If you are diligent it can be healed within a week or so. Note: garlic, tea tree and oil of oregano are very potent and will sting a little so use in moderation but know that the sting means it's working.
Another essential thing you need is to restore balance of the bacteria in the body (or in the case of external yeast infection) is a "good" bacteria called acidophilus which can be found in any health food store or you can just go ahead and eat fresh raw/plain yogurt and plenty of it. Yogurt naturally contains acidophilus. I use a product form the health food store (capers/whole foods) called Bio- K, which is essentially a mega dose of the good bacteria (acidophilus) and it tastes and looks like yogurt. It is found in the refridgerated area of any health food store and not only is it good for an external yeast infection but your entire digestive and intestinal tract will benefit and love you for it. It's all about keeping the body in balance. You can use plain yogurt or Bio K directly on the affected area especially if it is red and sore,not only will it soothe you but you are putting "good" needed bacteria where it needs to be.This can be messy so do it the bathroom leave it as long as you can and then rinse with water.
So you first need to work at killing off the "bad guys" and then adding the "good guys" both internally and externally ideally. Avoid sugars as yeast flourishes in sugary environments, avoid yeast containing food if possible while healing yourself.
There is tons of information on the internet if you do a google search - (healing yeast infections naturally) (garlic and yeast infections) (tea tree and yeast infections) and check out probiotics and yeast infections too while your searching.
Good luck and happy healing!
by tumbleweed82, Nov 03, 2007
I just took my third dose of clotrimozole (of 7). I take it at night before bed and usually feel pretty good until the next day around 3 or 4. Then it's more burning and discharge and just general all around sloppy uncomfortableness. When can I expect to start feeling better? Or will this continue until I stop the treatment at day 7. How do I know what's the yeast infection and what's the effects of the medicine?