How long does it take to cure a yeast infection?
So here's the deal.  Almost 2 months ago I started getting an itching sensation on my vulva.  I was freaked out that it was a STD, and finally got the guts to face the music and go see a NP who said it is very well a yeast infection on the outside of my vagina.  (I have no abnormal discharge).  She gave me a 3 day regim which seemed to cure the itchiness, but made the area more red and irritated.  So then I got more guts and finally went to a gyno who cultured the red irritated area and checked it out.  She told me that she saw nothing abnormal but saw some yeast.  So there it was confirmed.  A yeast infection of the skin surrounding my vagina.  She gave me diflucan, in on pill to take and also gave me monistat 7 to use as well.  So I took the pill 3 days ago today and have been using the cream since.  I feel better with the itching again, but at night, I think I touch the area, so when I wake up in the morning it's red again.  I feel like these treatments aren't working.  
How long do I have to wait for the treatments to work.  Am I just expecting it to cure the yeast infection too soon? Is this something that takes time to heal?  
It's just really irritating.  It's been almost 2 months and I would like it to go away.
Can anyone give me some insights?  
Also, I got to the gym alot and wait to shower and change out of my gym clothes until I get home.  I have been obstaining from the gym since the day I went to the dr in hopes that it will help make the healing process go a little faster.  
Also, I've been using Dial bar soap to clean the area, is this too strong?
hi i used to have this yeast infection, probably 2x a yr. i used monistat (with prescription)and it takes a while to cure it,for me about 4-5 days. but i have to wear loose pants for the meantime, because if you wear tight pants, it doesnt not get better,it help. i know not much help, but i hope you feel better.sometimes it really takes time to cure it.
I started this program a probgram less than two weeks ago but I am already feeling the effects of the changes I’ve made. My skin fungus is almost all cleared up. It was so bad that I not only had a large rash but in some areas the skin had actually split open. It itched and was quite painful. Now I have no open sores, the rash and itching are greatly reduced and I have even lost 18 pounds. This program has been a life saver for me!
Hi, being that I am a diabetic, I get yeast infection every other month.  It really depends on how bad the infection is.  It can take from 3 to 7 days, unless its really bad and then it may take up to using monistate 7 twice, which would be 14 days.  Good Luck, I know they are irritating. I am nursing one now as well.
First,  stop using soap of any kind to wash yourself there.  Especially if you are having a problem. Plain water is will work just as well. After going to the gym, change into a pair of sweats or something before you go home. You have to get out of those sweaty clothes. You are predisposing yourself to trouble.

The irritation showing back up in the morning is normal. As for how long it takes to get rid of it, that depends upon the strain.There are many drug resistant strains that take longer courses of treatment to irradicate.  If you reacted to your med, i.e. became more red and irritated than previously, I woulde not use that type again. You would be setting yourself up for a full blown reaction and that really hurts.

If the irritation persists, you should probably ask to get the yeast cultured and typed to find out what it is resistant too. Sometimes it just takes a longer course of treatment.
I JUST HAD MY 1ST YEAST INFECTION... AND ITS SO BOTHERING. I MEAN MY AREA IS RED ITS FEELS LIKE I'M HORNEY ALL THE TIME!! I HAVE TO RUB REALLY HARD AND JUST STAY IN 1 PLACE. I CAN'T EVEN KEEP STILL. I WENT TO GYNO AND SHE SAID ITS A COMMON INFECTION, SHE GAVE ME CREAM AND A PILL, I TOOK YESTERDAY AND TODAY IT FEELS A LITTLE BETTER BUT STILL AGRAVATING, HOW LONG BEFORE I FEEL BETTER AND CAN HAVE SEX AGAIN?
Just curious to compare meds, Sade....what were you given?  

Today, I was prescribed Empecid (a clotrimazole vaginal tablet), the same Empecid, but as a cream for the skin, and then Wintomylon (antibiotics) to rule out a blood infection, but could admittedly worsen a yeast infection.
I had my first yeast infection like 3 month ago, 2 weeks ago I went to the gyno and she gave me a pill name Fluconazole (Difulcan) first it was only 1 pill.She told me that this pill is so strong that it will stay in my body for a month. That I shouldn't have sex again in a month but she never told me nothing about monistat, I know about this cream 'cause before I went to the gyno I was using it. So ladys NO SEX IN A MONTH.... :-)
I went to the doctor 8/15/07 complaining of itching,swelling,burning,redness, and a small red dot between my vagina opening and my anus. They tested me for a yeast infection and it came back positive...ive never had one of these...they gave me 1 pill --FLUCONAZOLE 150MG and a creme for all of the other things (redness,itching,etc.) They also tested me for genital herpes even thought the  nurse said she doubted very seriously that i had it because she'd never saw genital herpes look like that its always much worse. She said in her opinion she thought it was maybe where i might have broke the skin being so sore and irritated, by wiping after i went to the bathroom...im still really worried though i call this wednesday for my results.....im 17 and in 13 days my son will be 1. Im a senior this year and im not worried about not being able to have sex im in a relationship but we've both decided to wait until we're married. IM SCARED!!!!!! CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!! =*[
Yeast infections SUCK! They can be quite painful, irritating, and annoying. Sounds to me that you have a yeast infection...and they are easy to get. They can be caused by foreign bacteria passed on from fecal matter, your sex partner's penis, hands, mouth (thrush is an oral yeast in the mouth which is evident by a white coating of the tongue).In addition harsh chemicals found in many soaps and detergents can irritate the vagina and contribute to or be the cause of a yeast infection. DO NOT USE DIAL SOAP! of all things, and in fact it is better to use no soap until it has cleared, water will be fine to wash while having an infection.
  I have had two or three in my life and do not use drugs or anitibiotics to treat it. In fact antibiotics only worsen the problem because they kill off all the bacteria in the body even the good bacteria our bodies need to be in a healthy balance. I only use the natural approach to healing ailments. Doctors and pharmaceutical companies want your money, they only give bandaid solutions....in other words they promote sickness not health. Beware!

In the case of a yeast infection it is very important to kill off the "bad" bacteria/fungi that is causing the infection. Tea tree oil, garlic (slice up a clove) and oil of oregano are all very good at killing these organisims. I use all three ( rotate them) topically as needed and it works fast. If you are diligent it can be healed within a week or so. Note: garlic, tea tree and oil of oregano are very potent and will sting a little so use in moderation but know that the sting means it's working.
Another essential thing you need is to restore balance of the bacteria in the body (or in the case of external yeast infection) is a "good" bacteria called acidophilus which can be found in any health food store or you can just go ahead and eat fresh raw/plain yogurt and plenty of it. Yogurt naturally contains acidophilus. I use a product form the health food store (capers/whole foods) called Bio- K, which is essentially a mega dose of the good bacteria (acidophilus) and it tastes and looks like yogurt. It is found in the refridgerated area of any health food store and not only is it good for an external yeast infection but your entire digestive and intestinal tract will benefit and love you for it. It's all about keeping the body in balance. You can use plain yogurt or Bio K directly on the affected area especially if it is red and sore,not only will it soothe you but you are putting "good" needed bacteria where it needs to be.This can be messy so do it the bathroom leave it as long as you can and then rinse with water.
So you first need to work at killing off the "bad guys" and then adding the "good guys" both internally and externally ideally. Avoid sugars as yeast flourishes in sugary environments, avoid yeast containing food if possible while healing yourself.
There is tons of information on the internet if you do a google search - (healing yeast infections naturally) (garlic and yeast infections) (tea tree and yeast infections) and check out probiotics and yeast infections too while your searching.
Good luck and happy healing!
All of these seems helpful and good EXCEPT, as an owner of a small business selling essential oil formulas for use on skin, PLEASE DO NOT use ANY essential oil *undiluted* on your skin, anywhere, not even tea tree, and especially not in this area. You can dilute (roughly 6 to 12 drops in an ounce) in any oil or in water (but take it easy in that case, as you'll be using more more quickly if in a water solution).
I just took my third dose of clotrimozole (of 7). I take it at night before bed and usually feel pretty good until the next day around 3 or 4. Then it's more burning and discharge and just general all around sloppy uncomfortableness. When can I expect to start feeling better? Or will this continue until I stop the treatment at day 7. How do I know what's the yeast infection and what's the effects of the medicine?
I'm 17 yrs old. Im having my first yeast infection and I'm on my menstration is this normal? I  dont know what to do,  the pain is unbearable. I do not have a normal gyn to visit and I don't live with my parents for advice or guidance. what should I do? Help!
i am nursing a yeast infection at this moment and i got mine form taking antibiotics and the best thing thats helped me with the pain and burning and itching is a monistat cream that i bought form the local drug store ! it really does help! it was really cheap you can also use the generic ones also they work the same! and yes its normal but more frustratin becaue you have the pain of both and soaking in a hot bath with a cup of apple cider vinigar helps sooth it also! i hope you feel better soon!
do yeast infections also give you a bad smell?
I also got a yeast infection from being on 2 rounds of antibiotics and steriods for broncitis and pneumonia. I just started getting into using more "natural" approaches, and I bought several different kinds of essentail oils, tea tree oil being one of them. After I realized I had a yeast infection (I'm 30 and this is only my second one ever) I had to research to see what to do about it. I read about using tea tree oil, so I began using it right away (Diluted by spring water) and it is working very well! I also got thrush (Yeast infection in the mouth) at the same time and began putting tea tree oil on a Q-Tip (full strength) and putting it on the spots in my mouth and and on my tongue. In three days it is pretty much gone! I can't beleive how fast it worked!
Taking probiotics orally is ESSENTIAL to restoring the good bacteria in your body!!!!! Everyone should take one EVERYDAY whether you feel bad or not. Especially while you are on antibiotics. My husband was having alot of stomach problems, so I had him start taking acidophilus and he has never felt better! It restores the natural flora in your system, check it out on the internet.
Also, I talked with a herbologist (she is VERY knowledgable on how to heal things naturally) and she said to open up an acidophilus capsule and put the white powder right inside your mouth (when I had the thrush), and right on your vagina (when you have a yeast infection) because it puts the "good bacteria" right at the source, and heals things ALOT faster. Try it....it works!!

A little side note,
when you have a sinus infection, to heal it naturally without antibiotics, there are three things you can do.
First, start taking GOLDEN SEAL ROOT (2 pills three times daily for a period of 3 weeks) This will clear up the infection.
Second, take oral acidophilus once daily, and also open up a pill and pour it into a little bowl. Using a small amount in the palm of your hand, hold it up to you nose, close your mouth, and take a deep breath in through your nose, this will get the "good bacteria" right to your sinus infection and clear it up very quickly!
Third, buy a small bottle of saline solution (one that you squirt up your nose, I buy the one at Walmart the brand name is "ocean" it's just a generic brand, costs $1) take off the top (just wiggle it a little and it will come off) and add two drops EACH of eucalyptus oil, Tea tree oil, and peppermint oil. Shake it well everytime you use it. Use it once in the morning and once in the evening, this will clear out the mucus and just invigorate your whole head!
I have read that a yeast infection will smell like yeast, but a bacterial infection will smell bad. If yours is smelling bad, I would get to your gyno, you may have a bacterial infection and you'll want to take care of that so it doesnt leave permanent problems.
OMG!!! um goin thru this RIGHT NOW!! its kills i was gunna murder my boyfren thinking i had an std or something. lol i looked it up in all the symptoms that are up r my symptoms but imma just go to the hospital to double check like i got that burniong sensation when i pee it burns LIKE HELL its itches like whoa! white discharge. foul odor CHECK! n i get these sudden urges to jus rub it soo hard. lol my boyfren told me um jus usin it as in excuse. lol but any ways so i would have to wait a mth without sex>???? WHATEVER as long as this goes away!!!
If you are menstruating with a yeast infection, make sure you use a pad rather than a tampon, and make sure you change the pad often.  Moisture remaining close to the skin will exacerbate the problem.  Eating a cup of yogurt a day when taking antibiotics will sometimes help avoid the yeast infection b/c of the active cultures.  Once you have a yeast infection, over the counter creams have always worked for me, though I have heard a gynecologist say that 7 day creams are the way to go and to avoid the 1 and 3 day treatments.
I am 17 years old, and I think i am having my first yeast infection i am in so much pain. i am planning on going to the store and getting Monistat. I have not told my mum and i dont know how to tell her. It hurts so much too pee that i try not to eat or drink anythign so i wont have to pee. When i use the medications how long will it take to make the pain fade and be able to pee without pain. im really scared, and frustrated. i cant walk or sit without it hurting. HELP
If you've had a Urinary Tract infection and a yeast infection like me, good luck getting better. Its a catch 22. On one hand I have to take the antibiotic to get rid of the UTI and also use a pill for the yeast infection. I was told (I am on cipro) not to eat dairy since it reduces the effects of the antibiotic. So Although I am a pro-yogurt remedy person when it comes to yeast infections, I cannot use it when I am on this particular antibiotic. I have read a lot on the subject and one recommendation to anyone who is reading: Do not self-diagnose a yeast infection ladies. You can get into biiiiig trouble. Get yourself examined by a doctor and follow the remedy. Until then like most others I would recommend cold compresses, eating PLAIN yogurt with the right bacteria in it and avoiding sweetened processed foods and drinking cranberry juice (unsweetened). Good luck!
well iv ben sexually active for 2 years im 21, iv had different sexual partners, all of them were "clean" and umm well just recently iv noticed that i have a change in my discharge it is white and flecky, not exactly like "cottage cheese" but tiny. there is no smell or pain in fact its just that change in the form of the discharge that caught my attention and from time to time i feel like when i sit down i feel i warm "rush" down there almost like a period or urine but when i go to check its nothing just a discharge. and i asken my recent boyfriend if he felt any abnormalities with anything he said he didnt so i scratched out STD. what could it be? yeast infection? and what should i do? thank u
Okay ever since my EX boyfriend gave me an STD I have been more prone to getting yeast infections real easily and it has a very foul odor... Before I began having sex and had a yeast infection there was no foul odor... just external itching. Now, I don'thave the external itching... Ijust have the foul smell and it feels like I am horny. Is the horniness normal... I have to rub my vagina realhard for the horniness to go away. Could this be due to the yeast infection... What can I do???? And did my having an STD mess everything up and now my vagina is all out of whack??? I am also nursing... Oh and this time I diagnosed my own yeast infection????  :( ♥