How long does it take to get back the results of a pap smear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Hi there, i did a pap smear three monday ago (this being the third one) and i just called and they said it's not there yet? Could this be a sign that something is wrong ? Or is this normal for it to take this long? Or they found something and they are double checking?  Thanks in advance for any answers
I think my results always took a couple weeks. Just because it is taking long has nothing to do with the results and is not a sign that anything is wrong. They would have told you if they found something wrong and if they wanted to "double check" they would have asked you to come in for another pap. I'm sure you will get your results in the next couple days.
Thanks for the reply... this is my very first pap so i don't really know what to expect and i remember the doctor saying in two weeks... Anyways i will wait and see... Thanks again....
Normally it takes a couple of weeks.  You said you called and they said it wasn't there yet.  Did they say how much longer it would be? I don't think it matters if there was something abnormal or not about it, I don't think it would take longer either way.  

Hey princess, thanks for the reply, she did say that it could take up to six weeks. I am now thinking what if they find abnormal cells wouldn't it be better to release the results sooner than six week as early dectection is key right? I called a friend and she said if something was wrong they would have called my doctor already.. This is my first pap so that's why i am kind stressing because i don't know the procedure...