How long does the average egg live after ovulation?
I've heard that to get pregnant (or prevent pregnancy) that any unprotected sex AFTER ovulation will likely NOT lead to pregnancy.  So my question is, how long does the egg live after ovulation?  Also, where does fertilization have to take place?  Does the egg die by the time it reaches the uterous if it's not fertilized?  How long does the journey down the tube take, and is it healthy the ENTIRE time?  Or is it a lost cause (or safe, depending on your perspective) if it's not fertilized IMMEDIATELY after it's released from the ovary?

I know that ovulation cannot always be accurately predicted and all that.  I'm talking specifically of the ovulation itself, and how fertile one is around it, despite when in the month it happens.
I have heard either 8 to 12 hours, or up to 24 hours, for the viability of the unfertilized egg.  Fertilization generally happens in the tube because the egg wouldn't be at the uterus yet by the time the sperms find it.  If an egg got a faster ride from the currents in the tube, maybe it would be at the uterus by the time it got fertilized, but usually it is considered that the egg takes several days to make the trip.  (No big deal, the spermies are fast swimmers.)  Keep in mind the sperms' timelines too, if planning to conceive.  There is a ton of information on all of this online and in books -- you might try googling "lifespan of ovum" or something similar.
i have this awesome... program called "femta" it shows when its okay to have sex and when it isnt and everything all u need to click in when ur period begins and when it ends and it automatically shows the days when ur fertile. and everythang yall should try it.. cause i did and i ended up pregnant on the days that was listed i was fertile.. so its up to you
sorry theres the website.. http://www.femta.com/aboutf.html
thanks a lot and May God continue to bless you and our family.