Hysterectomy and loss of sex drive

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Hysterectomy and loss of sex drive

I just had a vaginal hysterectomy on November 28, 2005 - two months ago. My ovaries were left intact. I'm 44 yrs old. My cervix was also removed. The reason I'm online searching about this subject is because I AM finding I have absolutely NO sex drive. I have attempted to masterbate to see if I could "jump start" myself. I have an orgasm, but it's no where near as strong as it once was. I have no desire to have sex, I feel less interest in my work, I'm just tired all the time and feeling low. With what I've been reading tonight on other sites is that hormone replacement therapy (HRT)(testosterone) may be helpful with these types of symptoms. I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow, but for those of you who are wondering what effects you may get, I for one am experiencing a loss in my sex life - that was once very strong. So... I know something's up. I've had 3 children, my child bearing years are over so I'm not experiencing a loss of what could be - another child. I'm done with that, it was one of the reasons I chose this option - having a hysterectomy. I'd appreciate any comments regarding the HRT options and whether they work or other things that may be going on inside me.
Have considered any psychological factors that might be contributing to you loss of sex drive?  Possibly feelings about the surgery?

Your testosterone level should not have been affected since your ovaries were left intact.

Replacement testosterone is an option you can discuss with your doctor and has been shown to effectively increase sex drive in some women.

Hormone replacement seems unnecessary, considering you still have the glands that cause you to produce your hormones--your ovaries. Did your doctor give you any medication? Perhaps you've too much estrogen, but not enough progesterone. When you have a recheck with your doctor, bring up the issue.
Prior to surgery they tested my blood for hormone levels to determine where I was in the menapause cycle and it was determined that I was in good shape there. I keep thinking that it's all in my head and that I need to snap out of it, but then I think that this just isn't like me, that something has to be going on related to the surgery and the recovery. I lost a lot of weight (don't own a scale so not sure how much, but the pants are super loose now) so you'd think I'd be pretty pleased about getting that nice surprise out of the misery of recovery. I have always hated going to the doctors, even though she is great, so I tend to put off check ups for way too long. Anyway, thanks for your comments. We'll see what happens.
it's possible your ovaries are shutting dowm or still in shocl from the surgery, are you having any other symptoms, or just the lost sex drive? i experienced a loss of sex drive after mine, and to tell you the truth i still dont "need" it. i am drier than before, i have one ovary left, i'm 30 years old. one thing however that i do get is a much stronger "O".your dr can do a blood test to check your estrogen levels.if you havnt already checked it out, try hystersisters.com i went there before and after my lavh, and there are alot of women going thru the same thing.
I received a hysterectomy approx. 2yrs ago, and my sex drive has slowly been on the decline. I have also gained weight, but doctors tell me that I am not going through menopause. I had a vaginal hysterectomy with one ovary left (4 yrs before, I had a cyst removed,via abdominal surgery, that was attached to my left ovary and tube, they had to remove tube and ovary at that time). I am always tired and just generally do not feel as well as I used to. Is there some specific questions that I need to take to my doctor? Prior to this surgery, my sex drive was great and I generally felt well medically. Through my research, I have found that this could be caused by many different things, is there one that I should focus on, before my relationship is ruined. My other half is very understanding, but come on, this can only go on for so long..... HELP!!
I just had a hysterectomyabout 5 months ago it was vaginal and i still have my cervix and 1 ovary. my doctor put me on hormone therapy but i also have found my sex drive is gone and it's so frustrateing i don't know what to do.