I got diagnosed with Trichomoniasis but I haven't had sex in 2 yea...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I got diagnosed with Trichomoniasis but I haven't had sex in 2 years... I'm scared.

Okay, so I went to my OB/GYN on Monday because I was having some yellowish-gray discharge, and it's been going on for about a month. Originally I thought it was a yeast infection because my discharge started out white and clumpy and I was having some itching (sorry for tmi), then the discharge turned to yellow about a week or so later. My primary care doctor didn't do any cultures, but he treated me with Diflucan (2 pills) based on my symptoms because I've had one yeast infection before. That didn't work, so he suggested cultures through my OB/GYN. She said that I had a bacterial infection and she put me on Flagyl. Well, her office just called today and said that I have Trichomoniasis, which I don't understand how that's possible if I haven't had sex in over 2 years. My partner at the time wore a condom and everything, and I honestly wouldn't even call what we did real sex because I told him to stop not even a minute into it because I was in pain (it was my first time). I've had guys finger me and stuff like that, but I haven't been sexually active in the literal sense since then. I did give my boyfriend oral one time without a condom, but he's never been with anyone else before, so how could I get it from him?

I'm still on the Flagyl and I will be re-tested on March 28th. The nurse that called me back today said that this isn't something I should worry about and that I'll be fine. Is this true? I just don't see how this could happen, and now I'm scared. Has anyone had this?

Also, the pelvic exam yesterday was very uncomfortable -- I was in a little bit of pain while my doctor was taking the cultures. Is this normal, especially now that I know I have an infection? I just had a pap smear in August and that came back normal, by the way.

As a side note, my periods have been a little "off" for the past two months -- In January, my period was one day late and the bleeding was slightly lighter than usual, and the last two days were basically spotting. My period for February started 2 days early and full on bleeding only lasted for 3 days, and then I had spotting again for probably about 2 days. My periods usually last 5 days. The last time I had any kind of sexual contact was in December, and even then my boyfriend only fingered me. I was naked but he had his boxers and jeans on, so I know it's impossible for sperm to travel through clothing and result in pregnancy or any kind of STD transmission, so I don't understand what's going on.
I have no clue how you got Trichomoniasis, although condoms aren't 100% effective at preventing anything from passing. So it's possible the condom failed? However, if that was 2 years ago- that partner doesn't seem like the person who gave it to you. As I understand it a women would typically feel the symptoms you're feeling a few weeks after transmission. However, it's one of the most easily treated STDs and can go away by itself.

As far as the pelvic exam goes, honestly them and pap smears are always painful and uncomfortable for me. I never had any problem because of that or have had any abnormal exams or results. So I think it can be normal if you're a little tender, that may just be the way you are. Either way, nothing to worry about -especially because the pain could easily be from the infection.
This is just a shot in the dark, but is there any way that this type of infection could be transmitted in a non-sexual way? I'm not sure if you'd specifically know this, so this is open to anyone that may see this post as well. Honestly, like I said, the last time I had any kind of sexual contact (other than just kissing) was in December, and even then my boyfriend only fingered me. The only other time I've had anything going on in that area would be when I was checked for a possible cyst on January 11th -- I had a transvaginal and transabdominal ultrasound, and the tech thought I had a burst cyst on my right ovary due to a small fluid accumulation. According to the report from the radiologist, I had a 1cm cyst on each ovary that was likely physiologic. I noticed these symptoms about a week or so after this exam.

Like I said, that mode of infection is probably impossible, but I'm literally grasping at anything here because I really don't understand how I could have gotten this.
Well I know most STD's don't spread without some sort of genital contact because they don't survive very long. However these are bacteria and virus- trichomoniasis is a parasite.  Perhaps it's possible that that it can be transmitted through other means because it can live longer outside the body? This is just a wild guess mind you.

I know men can not show symptoms at all, ever. Or sometimes they feel a burning sensation when they pee. If your boyfriend feels this, then maybe he should get treated for it? Otherwise just smile and nod I suppose?