I have a large tailbone, have any info?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I have a large tailbone, have any info?

I wasn't really sure which topic area this would be under... I have a oversized tailbone that sticks out. I'm 18 now and I've had this problem my life.. it bothers me a lot. It doesn't hurt or anything but it is very irritating. I tried to look this up on the internet but couldn't find anyone with the same problem. It seems like I'm the only one that has it. Can someone give me some information about it or tell me if there's anything I can do about it? It's very noticable and I always have to wear a long shirt or a long hoodie to cover it up. Your help would be appreciated :) Thanx
Hi Have you consulted with your doctor about this problem?You could all so see a orthopedic doctor,about the problem.First consult with your family doctor.Does it cause pain or any problems for you at all?This will be the first thing the doctors will ask be honest if it does or doesn't.You should never have any kind of surgery on your body unless it is nessesary.Take care TNT406.
Does it have extra flesh or fat like a false tail or just very bony and sticks out?

If it its the latter and not causing you symptoms I wouldn't worry about it too much but would get an x-ray just in case to rule out any type of growth. (This would be very very rare and I wouldn't lose to much sleep over it unless it is causing you pain or discomfort).

Just discuss it with a doctor and see what he thinks. Odds are you notice it more then anyone else.
Hi Linsey,
Can I ask you, what do you mean by your tailbone "sticks out"? Do you mean that your behind is very curvey when you look at it from the side? Like a J-Lo butt? Well, I can give you the skeleton makeup reason for it.  If you don't have a growth on the tailbone or in the soft tissue area around the tailbone, if you don't have a birth defect, and if you've never broken the tailbone which could malform it, then this is probably what you're seeing. Maybe you already know this, but I'll tell you what I know.
I'm a radiology technologist. In lay term, I'm an x-ray tech. This is something I never knew or never thought about until I took a couple of anatomy classes in college. Everyone's tailbone, or the sacrum and coccyx in medical terms, is curved. Some more that others. And some tailbones are bigger that others. Usually women's tailbones are curvier than men's. That's why a lot of female butts are more shapely than males. Especially from the side view. So when you see a person, male or female, who have a "flat" butt, it's just because his or her tailbone is not as curved as someone with a J-Lo butt. See what I mean?
Pretty simple right?!
So, the soft tissue (fat and muscle) of the behind, the pelvis, and the hips have to do with how big the behind is, from the front view and the side view. And the tailbone has to do with how curvey (from the side view) the behind is.
But please Linsey, if you think there could be a problem, like a growth or something, get it checked out by your doctor.
And remember, most women would love to have a J-Lo butt!!
Good luck,
Kelly

I also have an irregular tailbone. It doesn't cause pain but is and always has been a cosmetic issue. My tailbone doesn't stick out as much as it curves to the left. It creates an almost crooked butt crack effect. Does anyone know whether that can be fixed through some kind of surgery?
Hi Davidsgirl,
It almost sounds like you have some scoliosis of the tailbone. Do you know what that is? In case you don't, scoliosis is a curve in one's spine, side to side. If a person had a curve in the spine forward, it would be called kyphosis (hunch back). Scoliosis is an s-curve. And since the tailbone is part of the spine, I don't see why a person can't have scoliosis down there. I can see where that would cause a "crooked butt crack look". Maybe that's what Linsey was trying to say, and I missed it.
My daughter and my brother has scoliosis.  Their spines have a pretty good s-shape to them. One part of the s is in the upper back between the shoulder blades, and the other part of the s is in the lower part of the back, the lumbar back. You know, the small of the back. So the front of their ribs stick out more on one side than the other. And one hip is higher than the other. My daughter always hated that when she was in school. Now it doesn't bother her as much (she's 20 now). I've heard it can happen with the tailbone too.
If I were you, I'd go to an orthopedic doctor and see what he or she had to say. He can tell you if anything can be done.
Good luck!!
Kelly
If indeed it is scoliosis, there are many exercises that can be done to help. Chiropractic can also help. Scoliosis, from what I have read can eventually lead to some health issues later in life. Definitely get it checked out.
Thanx for all your help, I don't think it's anything to worry about since there's no growth or anything, i'll just have to live with it
i have the same issue and i have been searching for 10 years  it sounds funny to those who dont know but i want to see if it can be sawn off or somethng as i cant sit straight on it or ona  hard surface, i was military and couldnt do a sit up  , it casues me paid and gets cut and sore, pleas ehelp... if you have found anything please reply
I have this problem, too. But I never noticed it much until I got pregnant. Then it really became painful to sit on anything even remotely firm. It's not been so bad since I had the baby, but it still hurts pretty good from time to time, especially if I sit on something hard. And MINE, I don't know about the other girls, but mine is definitely not J-LO. This is above my butt, at the base of my spine. There is a knot that sticks out. It just feels like bone. Does anyone know how to tell if there is a growth or if it's abnormal?
i have the same thing. i am 16 and it just feels like a bone but it doesn't cause me pain or anything either. it bothers me that i cant do a sit up and things like that too and i never could find any info on it, and i wasnt sure if i should tell my doctor since its not a problem but its deff great to know im not the only one with this.
i am a 35 yr old who KNOWS exactly what you are talking about!!!! believe me i have been there done that!!! the embarrassment of taking public showers in gym class, hidding your back side for fear of someone noticing, avoiding bending over because it sticks out too much etc. i have been researching this for nearly 30 years with the help of some family in the early years. i was once asked if i wanted it removed, but as a child was too afraid. now i am searching desprately to find a doc who can do the needed sugery here in arizona.

if you want to talk to someone who knows what you are talking about, please email me anytime.  ms.***@****
Hi glad i found some other people with the same problem.  I have jus recently lost about 4 stone in weight and have discovered a very uncomfortable and protruding 'bailbone'.  I find it awkward to sit down to lay down flat in bed and i can always feel it, its horrible and i hate it and cannot imagine having to rearrange my butt cheeks every time for the rest of my life.  Going to visit a doctor to see if anything cn be done or help it as i dont want to develop any pain in it.  Failing that might have to put on a few pounds to give a bit more 'cushion'!!!  Sarah, Essex, UK.
Kudos for u Lindsey for posting this! I never had the guts to post about this problem... and I am sooo relived to have read this post w/ everyone's comments!!

Yes, I too suffer from a protruding tailbone. I've tried to research it, but there is not much info. I don't really want to see a doctor coz its kinda embarrassing. It doesn't hurt, so I guess there would not be much of a point in having it surgically removed. Its annoyed in the past few years as I've grown up and become more body conscious. I hate going to the beach (it definitely shows in a bikini), wearing tights or tight clothing. I'm always paranoid that someone can see a 'bump' near the area and think, "What's that?!"
Lately, I'm conscious about everything I buy -- making sure it will be OK to wear because of my tailbone...

But i guess its something that we've all learnt to deal with. I think it would be great if we could all meet each other & show our tailbones & stories.... it would probably help w/ our insecurities of our tailbones!!!

Hi, there and everyone.
I have the same problem and maybe more...
I have 2 dot bones sit next to one another (One is a little bit bigger and lower) at the end of my spine(between my crack), I also have pelvic bones stick on my lower back. Trust me I have try everything e.g. put on weight, gym training. I only get gigger or fat all over my body and face but nothing will ever cover those dot bones up. The pelvic bone on my lower is less visible as I stand up but when I sit down or lay on my side there are sticking out! my tail bones never hide away, it's very visible especially when I bend over! it doesn't cause me any pain but it's such a shame that I don't want to have a boyfriend and so embrassing!! I feel as if i'm ab-normal( like a dog without tail) I really want to get rid of it.
I have send over my photo to some doctors. one of them said if I have butt implants it will cover up but I really don't like the idea of having silicone bags in my body. while the other doctor said that I should have it remove if it doesn't cause pain... the other doctor said after see my e-ray that he can't any wrong with my bone from the e-ray but he can see it with his eyes so he suggess that I may have bone tumour desease that could turn out to be cancer cell!!!!
What!?!...what can I do about it?
   I just want to be normal and have self confident.
I haven't heard anyone mention having two bones that stick out. Mine are side by side at the base of my spine and very noticible. I am fairly thin, but even during pregnancy when I had extra weight, they stuck out. Sit ups are almost impossible to do without severe pain, but I don't have general pain from them.

I'm curious of anyone else has two almost knob-like prominent little bones there.
ok that helped... I just think I have a J'Lo butt...
Hi there. I have what I thought was a crooked tailbone, (making a crooked butt crack) until I read your post. It was surreal to read your description and that is EXACTLY how mine is to the "T" - no pun intended

There is some minor pain and discomfort associated when I sit on any hard/firm surfaces for a long period of time, it starts to heart (sitting cross-legged on a hard floor is the worst) and the area by the tailbone and a few inches up goes numb.

With regards to the "options" the doctors recommended, I would not want butt implants either. So what are you thinking of doing? Getting it removed to elevate your confidence, and as a bonus, getting rid of the area 1 of the doctor's thought could turn our cancerous?

I am very eager to hear what you decide to do, and I am hoping it will give me motivation to finally go see a doctor about it.

Good luck and take care!
Hey, I also have a hard bone sticking right about my butt crack. I didn't notice it until I got really sick and lost about 15 lbs. I've gained 5 lbs back and still can notice it and it hurts when sitting on anything hard or doing sit ups on hard surfaces as well. It is embarrassing, especially when laying down because it is very noticable.

I did ask my family doctor about this. He said its just from being skinny, although I feel that there may still be a better explanation then that considering this is the first time I have ever felt it.

If any of you get a different answer, please let us know!

Im so relieved to find people with the same problem. It never used to bother me growing up and its virtually pain free except when sitting for too long. Its basically just an extra large bone at the end of my spine it sticks out a little, however recently it has come to my attention quite a bit I am noticing it more now and I think thats only because it has started to bother me I think this is mainly due to the cosmetic side of things. Also it can be very embarrising when you get intimate with someone and I always try my best to hide it! =/
It is so nice to know that there are other girls out there with the same insecurities I have. I also have a large non painful tailbone, and it is so embarrassing! My dad and brother also have it, I think 2 of my uncles on my dads side have it too. Does it run in anyone else's family? I know its hard to bring up in conversation, but it might be good to know.
I was also born with a large tailbone! I am 42 and have known about it all of my life, My mother taught me how to fall so I wouldn't fall on it directly, the Dr.s told her it could paralyze me from the neck down or instantly kill me by breaking my neck!! Needless to say not a fun childhood!!
But I have made it to this ripe old age with it still intact. I cannot sit straight up or do sit ups and long drives kill me and causes excruciating pain.
I also cannot find anything on the internet about my "tail"

Grumpy
Hello all,

Both of your feelings and descriptions fit me to a T. I wish there was a website that descriped this problem theres no telling have many other people out there are suffering from this and don't even have anything to relate it 2.
The worst part is, I feel like I could never commit to becoming intimate with someone because of my problem. At one point in the relationship I would have to tell him that I have this 'bump' of a protruding tailbone. How on earth could I muster up the courage to do that!? I try to imagine what it would be like if you had no idea that this deformity existed, and then your girlfriend shows you it.... would he be freaked out? How would he take it? And then, of course from that moment on, every time he sees me in underwear or a bikini will he always look at my tailbone?

Uh, how annoying. I always think, "Why me?". Why couldn't my brother have it (no offense)?. I mean, cosmetically, it would probably bother him less than it does to me.
Men's clothing would hide it. Not like women's clothing.

Has anyone told a spouse/bf/gf  etc of this problem? If so, how did they react?
P.S.: Sorry kal353, I meant to reply... umm, I have never actually asked my parents if they know anyone in the family with this issue. My mum has told me in conversation that feet deformities run in her family (no pun intended) e.g. extra toes, webbed toes.
I have wondered if maybe that 'deformity' gene manifested into a protruding tailbone? I wouldn't ever ask a doctor though.

Also, I know this may sound crazy, but would anyone be willing to share pics of their tailbone? No obligation, just wondering that's all. It may help to compare each others and see similarities & differences...?
I finally went to my doctor about this problem. I am now almost 22, so it's been five years since my original post. She felt it and told me that the bones are all just enlarged down there... That didn't really help me though, since i already knew that! I am going back to see her soon because I think the enlarged bones might be a symptom to a syndrome I could have. I'll keep you posted if I find out anything else about this.

I have noticed that if I keep my butt in shape it is less visible. I do squats and lunges all the time and it firms it up. It still sticks out, but keeping my butt in shape makes me feel a bit better about it. I still have to watch how i bend over to pick something up (because it sticks out a lot!). I can't do sit-ups or sit down too long on hard surfaces. It's too bad that doctors don't really know anything about this! I don't think there is a common surgical procedure.. When I feel around there are 4 bumps that stick out close together.. they are supposed to be there, they are just enlarged...

If anyone has any more info, please let us know!

ps: no one in my family has this problem.
I am so glad I found this.  I have a twenty month old who's thinned out over the past month and discovered his sticks out.  I have been worried and not able to sleep with a doctor appt. a week away.  I'm just glad he's not alone :)
I am soooo glad that I found this forum, yet I have to say it is a little discouraging. I am relieved I am not alone, for I too have a large bone sticking out above my butt. After numerous research, I've come to learn it's actually our sacrum bone that is sticking out and not actually our tail bone. At least that is for those of us feeling the two bumps side by side right above our buttcracks. I have yet to talk to a doctor on the issue, because I am scared there will be nothing they can do. So if any of you have been given options by doctors as to what to do to help this problem, or if any of you have actually been able to get rid of the problem all together, please PLEASE SPEAK UP. I need someone to help me muster the courage to see a doctor. I have tried everything from working out to gaining weight and just nothing has helped. I am afraid of getting intimate and push men away before a real relationship can even happen. I have a great body other than this stupid bone and yet I shy away from wearing a bathing suit in public. Someone please come forward and let us know what you did or were told you could do to help.
I have the same problem! I have two bumps that stick out at the end of my tailbone, but one sticks out a lot more than the other. It forms a sort of V shape so instead of having a normal butt crack it's like i have a V, which looks really awful.
My mom has this same thing but I really thought we were the only ones! It has bothered me for years now and I am SO embarrassed about it. I am 19 and I don't want to have a boyfriend because of it or get intimate with anyone. I feel like a guy would be really weirded out by it and it would just be humiliating.
My mom says not to worry about it and it's not a big deal, but it is to me. If I could get it fixed, my self confidence would be so much higher. I really want to go to the doctor and see if there a surgery that can be done. Does anyone knows of any successful surgeries for this problem?
I finally made an appointment to see an orthopedic surgeon in a few weeks. I have this awful feeling in my gut that he will just look at it and say "oh that's weird" and that there is nothing that can be done. I was laying in a tanning bed the other day and it hurt SO bad because when I'm on my back i literally am just laying on bone...no butt...just bone. So anyway, hopefully I'll have the courage to go to my appointment. It's probably gonna cost me a pretty penny..but at least I'll know for sure now.  If he doesn't help me I don't know what I am going to do...
I know, that's what I'm nervous about too! But I feel like there is something that can be done, though it would likely be pretty expensive.
Ouch, that sounds painful:( I know the feeling though.
You should let me know what he says...Good luck!!!
Well...I went to the orthopedic surgeon today. Apparently my sacrum is curved out much more than it is for most people. He said there isn't much that can be done about it, I'll just have to live with it.  He said they removing it could cause so many problems in the future that it just wouldn't be worth it, and it would be hard to find a doctor willing to do that.  I asked him if the bone could just be shaved a little so it doesn't stick out, but he said that would weaken the bone too much.  He tried to tell me that it wasn't as noticeable as I think, which is true but it still bothers me emotionally as well as physically.  But whatever, guess I will just have to try to work my butt up thru exercise and hope for the best.  Real bummer though...had to pay so much money just to be let down =/
Thanks for letting me know...I can't believe there is nothing that can be done without it having too much affect.. I still am trying to keep hope that there is though!! I know exactly how you feel though and am going through the same thing. It *****. I will try the butt thing too though, haha, and hope for the best.
http://catherinebeary.tumblr.com/post/2310922877

that picture isn't me...but that is exactly what mine looks like..anyone else the same?
I am 29, and I also have a protruding tailbone. I went to many doctors about it and all they have told me is that my coccyx is slightly compressed in shape. Our Coccyx (tailbone) is sup posed to be shaped like a half moon from a side view, and upon x-raying my spine, we came to find out that mine is not shaped like that, but actually shaped more like an angle, and due to that the extended area of my tailbone that protrudes would normally be inside my body where it can't be seen, but instead, it shows cause of the way the shape of it is laid within my body. Unfortunately, nothing can be done because there are so many nerves near the edge of the coccyx. I actually had searched for this many times online, and found nothing... it's nice to know that I'm not actually the only one. When I went to these doctors, they told me they had never seen anything like this before. Kind of weird to feel like you're the only one that doesn't have a normal plumbers crack.
Hey Kal353,

I have had this tailbone protrusion my whole life and no one in my family has ever had or seen anything like this.. so I don't believe it's a genetic thing.
I have had this thing for 29 years, and I have also had intimate relationships. I find that I feel more comfortable once people know about it. I call it my "nubbin" cause it's not a tail, and not extra flesh, it's just a little nubby looking thing. I sometimes wait until I'm in an intimate moment with a guy, sometimes I tell them after they notice it, and sometimes before. I try not to make a big deal about it, cause it doesn't define me.. it's just a part of me. So my suggestion to all of you who may feel very insecure about it, just know that there are many others out in the world who have the same thing as you, who feel the same way you do, and that we can't hide behind those things cause they make us uncomfortable just because we are different. We are beautiful in our own way, and if a guy can't respect that about you, then he definitely doesn't deserve you! I have had many boyfriends who actually thought it was cute, and it never bothered them. Don't let fear control who you are. :)
The picture you posted is of a normal backside, dimples are normal. In that picture there is no abnormality and no protrusion.
I posted a pic of my tailbone on my profile
my problem is not my coccyx, my issue is with my sacrum. it is located right above the crack and is curved outward. however i, as well as many other girls on this forum, have a sacrum that is curved more than usual and therefore, sticks out. in the picture i posted, the back dimples are indeed normal. however it looks like her sacrum (right in between the dimples) is sticking out slightly. it might not be, but to me that is how it looks. and that is exactly how mine looks as well. if i didn't have SUCH a small backside to begin with i don't think it would even stick out. or wouldn't be as noticeable.
oh and thanks for the words of advice. it is very reassuring =)
Hi everyone! It is so good to see that many others have found this thread & are responding :-)  Natalia, I saw your picture of your abnormal tailbone.... but mine is very different to that. I have a feeling that some of us might have what you have ..... but the rest of us might be referring to something more like a "hard bone" protusion (which is what i have), as opposed to what yours looks like. I might post a pic of mine.... (depending on how brave I feel...haha), and especially taken from the angle of slightly bending over .... because that's when you can see it most. w105rav, i sort of get what you mean with the picture you showed.... and i agree i would say mine looks like that in that position--just sticking out alot more. The shadow in that picture makes her tailbone resemble mine slightly :-) But, like I said, mine is more of a large hard bone curving outward, as though if it continued, it would be a big base bone for an imaginary large "tail".

I don't know if I will visit a doctor to get it checked out (maybe in the future). It still bothers me though, especially in terms of getting intimate with someone (thank you for yor advice though Natalia_7). I know I would be way more self confident if I didn't have it.

Anyway,  it is very good & extremely supportive to discuss this with so many other people & share our experiencs :-)
SilkyBling,
     it really wouldn't hurt to see an orthopedic surgeon. i don't have the greatest insurance, so it was pricey, but it wasn't nearly as embarrassing as i had imagined. and even though there is nothing that can be done in my case, it was well worth the appointment. my sacrum is totally normal in size, it just is curved outward much more than the average person's. it sounds like yours might be sticking out even more so than mine, so if your bone really is bigger than average they might actually be able to trim it down. they can't for me since mine is normal size; he said it would weaken the bone too much. i don't know, i honestly would rather risk a weaker bone than leave it as is and accidentally fall on it wrong and paralyze myself...but oh well. like i said my next step is to see a plastic surgeon if i can't fix the problem myself with weight lifting. it's funny, if i wear tights that lift my butt up you can't even see the bone sticking out, even when i bend over. so it gives me a bit of hope that maybe working out can actually help. but who knows. have you noticed this also with yours? anyways, good luck to you and everyone else. and please i really think you should still see an orthopedic surgeon. it really wasn't embarrassing at all. which was surprising because i had the cutest doctor ever! haha.
I went ahead and posted a picture of mine as well. If anyone's tailbone sticks out like mine please let me know!
I'm 18 and I have this problem. Mine curves to the right. And right above it, in my spine, if i put pressure on it, it is very painful. It feels as if it's been bruised. My Uncle has the same thing as me, and he still is in pain from it. I haven't went to the Doctor yet, but I plan on it. I'm literally up all night because of the pain it puts me in at night. I toss and turn to try to get in a comfortable position for my back. If any of you know something that will help with the pain at all let me know!
I will assume you have already had this problem sorted but.
Basically an overlarged tail bone isn't that uncommon, it can be removed if you so wish it but consult your GP before making up your mind as sometimes spinal procedures out-weigh benefits with risk
My wife had this same thing for the first three years of our marriage. First of all, I want you to know it is not that big of a deal. We were both perfectly comfortable being intimate, I promise it is not going to shake the world to have your partner find out one more thing that makes you unique, so do not worry about it too much.

Getting to the point that you may be more interested in... it has pretty well gone away after she began doing functional exercises targeted to help her with spinal stability. She has been seeing a trainer who is a CHEK Exercise Coach, you may want to try to find one as well. She also visits a chiropractor frequently to keep it in place. Between the two she stays mostly pain free and has covered the bone with muscle that keeps it positioned properly and cushions it.

Best wishes ladies.
finally someone with some real advice! thank you so much for your help and encouragement...I think we all needed it.
thank you so much! now I feel a lot better about the situation :) I hope it works!
Thank you Linsey for asking this question. And thank you Natalia_7 for posting that picture. Mine looks exactly like yours actually. I never noticed my protruding tail bone until i injured it in 7th grade. I fell onto a chair and it was one of the most painful things i've experienced. After that I noticed my tailbone protrudes or it seems kind of enlarged. It's not a real life impediment, but it does get to be annoying when i try to do sit ups or some yoga poses. I always have to shift to one butt cheek. I've always thought I was along in this problem until I came to this forum. What a relief. Thank you all for bravely sharing your stories. I, too, have shared the fear of what I should do if I ever became intimate with somebody. I've dreamed of getting my tailbone removed or somehow shaving the bone, but I cannot afford an orthopedic surgeon. Watching Shallow Hal traumatized me when they showed Jason Alexander with the tail. However, I really do feel like a burden has been lifted some what in knowing that I am not alone with this problem. I guess i need to start doing some more butt exercises to provide my cushion and make this tailbone less of a nuisance.
I have the same problem, i think mine is my sacrum sticks out too far, dont know if its scoliosis or what. also mine doesnt usually bother me pain wise unless i am laying on my back or doing sit ups and what not. I dont know if it was caused by bad posture or i was born that way.. it also seems to have more "cushion" on it. but i dont know if that is because i sticks out so the fat/flesh push out as well makiing it seem like more cushion. if you figure out what the dr says let me know or know any techniques or excersizes that help please let me know. i will be bringing it up to the doctor after my pregnancy since there is nothing to do about it now and he might assume its cus of my prenancy when it was there before hand.
i have the same problem  i am now  almost  31 years old  i have had  all my spine fused because of my scoliosis  due to  a   defect  called klippel fel syndrome   even so  i have a very large back side and my  back  dips in greratly i am only 4 ft  10   i have recently toned mybody  up but i still look big im now in size 12  clothed but  my  bum is like 5 inches behind the rest  of me    yet im 12 12 which makes  me morbidly obese in te doctors eyes that is also annoying  but  i cant see  me getting to the 6 stone 7 pounds the doctors want me to  be ccause  of my height but it makes me feel  big  cause every one makes  me  feel massive but if im morbidly obese then how can i fit in  size 12 clothes i dont get it?
mine is the same way! i say an orthopedic surgeon who took xrays. he said my sacrum is curved out more than normal. it also has cushion, like extra fat but RIGHT on top of the bone sticking out and not around it, so it makes it look even bigger...
I'm about to go into the doctor tomorrow to get mine checked out.  I have one hard lump right at the base of my spine, but it is crooked.  It actually curves off to one side and causes me a lot of pain and numbness when sitting.
im a gay man 15 and my tail bone sticks out too (which totally terrifies me to get intimate with anyone since i am gay) and i heard that it may be due to lumbar hyperlordosis. This is a increased curve inward toward your stomach and if you lay on ur back on the floor and are able to stick ur hand all the way under your spine you might have it. Hyperlordosis can be fixed by strengthening ur core muscles but i havent found anything that specifically says lumbar hyperlordosis makes ur tailbone stick out. Im just glad other ppl have it and im not alone.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/images/ency/fullsize/9583.jpg
in this pic u can tell the tailbone is farther down and outward
im so glad to find this site havent checked the dates though so hope these are recent posts.
I have a very unusual tail bone and my partner is always on at me to get it checked out but im just too embarresed to look like a fool really cos i think am i worrying for nothing but then is it normal??

my spine is normal until it gets to the top of my bottom then there is a big bone a space then a big bone thats on the right and then a larger one that bends back to the left which is i dont know what to use to say how big it is but its got to be say bigger than two small bouncy balls mayb not far off a golf ball size and it feels sharp at the top and sort of slopes like a hill where my bottom begins.
Its very noticeable and both my boys have got them, my 1 year old u can see where its developing.

It is painful and i cannot sit for long periods at a time. is it something to worry about or is my spine just normal seeing as my children have the same lump?

thanks ceri x
i have to. for 10 years i have been wondering what it is and why i have it. i have learned to live with it but have decided to go to the doctor just in case.
I've read a lot of these posts on this site about our protruding coccyges. I always felt like my extra long coccyx makes me one level closer to a super human.  Almost as if I'm extra human! I've noticed that you are all female, and haven't seen a post by a male yet.  I'm a 29 year old man with the same issue.  Just wondering if it's less common in men?
Hi There,
I am only 13 and ride horses so I have fallen A LOT on my protruding tail bone. It doesn't look like much of a tail but I also have what you could say a 'bubble butt'. I have fallen on ice recently and now I can't sit against a hard chair because the back rest hits it and causes it to hurt. I have brutally bruised it once and it hurt for 2 months. I asked a family doctor and he said that the only thing they could do is surgery to shave it down but that is only if you are feeling REALLY insecure about it or in a lot of pain regarding it.
Hope it helped.
i am soo happy to find that other people have this problem, the top of my arsecrack looks like a v instead of a straight line, and when i feel it its like two littl knobbly things with a big one underneath. this has bothered me for years, it gets me really down, especially now iv had my daughter and shes got one too :( i feel like iv ruined her life, every time i change her nappy and see it, the guilt makes me feel sick. i dont know if i feel better or worse after reading this, i just want rid of both of ours! i promise my baby girl every day that itl be gone by the time shes old enough to know shes got it, not looking possible though :'(
I just found out tonight that my tailbone is over sized. Mine does cause pain from sitting and has caused problems with the skin from it pushing on it and gets red and inflammed. They want me to see an orthopedic specialist and have my tailbone cut down or removed. I am very nervous, but am so glad I am not the only one with this problem. I can grab mine and it feel like a puppy dog tail but you can't see it by looking at my fanny lol.
I too have the same problem and have lost 30 lbs making it more noticeable. It is painful to sit and hard to do sit ups. I do feel better after reading these that I am not alone and am in fact lucky that the bone is not visible although I am worried about that if I lose more weight. For now, I will do lunges and try to build up my butt muscles.
Hello All, My 12 yr, daughter was just diagnosed yesterday that her tailbone has 5 segments. Most peoples tailbone's have anywhere btw 2,3,and 4 segments. The large tailbone gives her pain when she sits in school or anywhere because of the pressure. The Ortho Specialist she saw at Childrens Hospital of Michigan told me not to let anyone operate on her. Remember your tailbone is part of your spine. I was reading today on a website called coccyx.org about people that have had the surgery for other tailbone conditions, and I have read some horrible and very graphic stories. Scares the crap out of me. For now they make special pilliows or cushions for people with this type of condition. But I would love to hear some feed back from some people who have or had 5 segment tailbones. Their progress and how this affected their lives? When I read articles on the internet about this condition the medical article and forums are very vauge almost like this is overlooked in the medical world. I need research that has been done about how this occured? Is this more common in women or men ? Is this inherited;? and if so from the male or female parent? I would even want to x-ray mine vs my daughters father maybe we both have 4 segment tailbones which gave my child 5. Who knows but I need answers. Im willing to go the end of the earth to get answers. So if you want to follow me in my journey or respond, share, suggest or help with your expiriences lets colloborate. You can follow me on twitter @**** This is a real condition and shouldn't be overlooked by the medical community.

Sincerely,
Certified Concerned Mom
my daughter has unfortunately inherited it from me, i dont think my parents have one though. im not sure how many segments mine has. i described it in my earlier post, does it sound like your daughters? the top of my bumcrack looks like a Y  instead of just I, and the V part is a knobbly bony bit...if that makes sense :/ it gets me down everyday, i feel sick every time i think about it which is alot..it bothers me alot more now i have my daughter, because its all my fault that shes got it and i just know shes gonna hate me for it when shes older.hope your daughter gets answers, every time i see my doctor about it they just say its because im skinny...none of my other skinny friends have this problem though!
hi everyone
                   i to have this problem, and my bum crack looks very simular to the photo of natalia_7's except i think mine is a fraction bigger. i have had mine since birth, i have one brother and one sister and neither of them have this problem neither does my mother although my father had the same thing, he was very skinny and i am also at 50kg's.i dont beleive it is from being skinny though.
i dont get pain when sitting on cushioned surfaces or sitting upwards on the floor but i get pain when i lay flat on hard surfaces even carpeted floor, i cant do sit up's or anything like that and when laying down on a hard surface i usually have to lean on one bum cheek so it doesnt hurt. also if i have to lay down on a hard surface like a tanning bed i have to put my knee's up to take the pressure off it.
i also have had a baby girl and her bum crack is abnormal also, she is 10 months, but when she was born no doctors or nurses said anything about it. i have never been to the doctors about it but might take my daughter.
i do get embaressed about this but i just think to myself 'its me' and if males dont like it then they dont have to look at it as far as im concerned and if im dating someone i dont say anything unless they ask and when they do i just say i have a back problem and it actually causes pain on occassion's ect. they are usually understanding.
as for my daughter when she is old enough and asks question's im just going to tell her she is beautiful and that she is normal in everyway, im not going to be overly concerned or tell her to be embaressed and she is deformed, if i do she will only result in low self esteem about it and i dont want that for her like i had.
also if anyone else has been to doctors and gotten reults i would love to hear about it.

thank you so much for this forum
i have the same problem and i really want to remove this one,i haven't find the way to do it yet, we are in the same boat.
Hi every,
This bump above the butt, is not part of the normal curve.  Most of you probably feel numb in the spot and notice that the bump is slightly above the butt cheeks/crack; this is caused by improper posture from an early age.  The most common cause is that you sat on your "tailbone" (so instead of the straight up posture when sitting, you slumped back in your chair, or leaned back so your weight shifted onto the upper part of your butt/near the bump instead of directly on the flat plane part adjacent to your thighs).  In that case, you will need to get chiropractor help, or massages on the bump to try to remold the bone or at least decrease the degree of protrusion. While it is aesthetically unwanted, it can also cause back pains later on in life.
I'm a 14 old boy and I hurt my tailbone when I was 9-10 years old. I had pain until 11 years when I couldn't understand these things very well. I went to check a doctor (which is a friend of my parents and has helped them cure nearly everything) and the doctor and he just said that it was normal because I was skinny. But I don't think it's normal, I couldn't believe it when my doctor told that to me, I mean he saw the deformed and large tailbone with his eyes. Even if I was fat, the tailbone would hurt hurt and would be visible, maybe a little bit less visible than in the current form. My parents now won't take me to a doctor because they claim if I eat too much the tailbone will be gone but THAT'S IN NO WAY POSSIBLE. They can't understand this and I think my life now is screwed. I play basketball and do fitness but I have quitted a long time ago because I can't do situps and many other things. I can't do a lot of things in basketball ex: side running because the tailbone hurts and I don't feel comfortable, I'm afraid of hurting my tailbone again (I once did and couldn't walk or run like a normal person). My friend keep blaming me sometimes because I'm slow but sometimes I play very very great expect I can't do a boxout from my tailbone. The tailbone limits me to do anything, and people without deformed large problem can't understand this. I'm glad a group of people here understand perfectly in what situation I am. I'm seeking for help in the internet. I am glad I found this one. I'm already doing squats and other exercises. I guess the only thing left to do is to make my butt bigger so the tailbone doesn't hurt anymore. But I don't want to be like a girl, so I hope a cure that will get your tailbone smaller or whatever just to not be visible and to not give problems.. that'd be great. Sorry if I'm fantasizing but that's it. Sorry for grammatical errors.
I want a better cure than doing squats and you all want the same cure so don't stay in that PC chair, go seek for help. Thanks for understanding.
So I have a question to .. I feel that my tailbone is to big. I dont have a tail or anything but it does stick out. I try to do some exercises where I lift my legs up this leaves me rocking on my rear.. It hurts to do this, I want to exercise but not if it causes pain. Now I have a small sore where I was rocking that I didnt notice until this morning, it caused me to freak out. I have known that I have an unusual tail bone but this is the first time I have noticed how much it hurt ?
Wow I'm so glad I'm not alone I've bin looking for someone that has the same problem as me! Mine is also like a little bump at the top of my butt crack. It hurts when I do sit ups or lay in an smears place. Other than that I don't have a problem with it, its really just embarrassing to me...I'm ALWAYS afraid my friends who see me dress or partners will make fun of it. I so have scoliocis (I don't know how to spell that) and I hate that too although its not as noticeable as my crack...I've bin looking if anyone has got a surgery for it also, I really just want it gone or shaved down like a bunyan on a foot
I have this as well!  I always thought I was the only one with this weird deformity.  I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one.  Mine isn't painful unless I push hard on it or if I'm sitting on a hard surface or trying to do sit-ups.  

Mine is a protruding bump, then an indention, and then my butt crack.  It doesn't look like it protrudes very much, but it's very prominent when felt.  I really wish there was something I could do about it as it makes me insecure.  

Photos on my profile.
i two have the two nots pratruding on my tail bone its almost like my tail bone is backwards. i have been in pain scence i had my daughter 8 months ago but my butt bone was like that scence i was born
I have a protruding tail bone too. I am a 38 year old lady. It has got worse after pregnancy. I also struggle to sit on hard surfaces if I slouch. It almost looks like my buttocks start too low down my back. Anyway, I just wanted to say to the people that feel embarrassed, I have been married for 16 years to a man that loves my bottom, in fact it is his favourite place of me (well, that and my legs). He used to be a model, looks a lot like a Johnny Depp/Antonio Banderas mix. My aim is not to be egotistical. It is just to say that I do not even notice that I have a protruding coccyx most of the time due to him making me feel so beautiful in how he compliments me etc. There is hope, when you meet someone whose opinion counts. And yes, one of my exes did draw my attention to my weird bottom. So have experienced that too.
I also have a "large tailbone" one thing I noticed is that if I do butt exercises then it makes the musscles look more round and "normal" but if I don't you can really tell that my tailbone sticks out a lot and looks odd. Hope this helps.
Hi All,

I'm 27 and I've had this problem for years.  My sister also has it but we've also both broken our coccyx so I'm not sure whether genes play a role or not.  I now work in an office and the pain has become quite unbearable. Looking at diagrams of the spine, I think it's the sacrum rather than the tail bone sticking out (at least for me).  Mine is about 10cm across and sits at the base of my back, above my crack. Surgery isn't an option due to the risk of it being ineffective or making it worse (don't believe surgeons if they tell you otherwise). My best solution for sitting has been to use a half back lumber support cushion and cut the middle out so that there's no pressure on the area.  I also sit on my side with my legs curled up next to met, making sure I spend an equal amount of time on both sides (although my physio says to keep this to a minimum). I've trialed kneeling chairs too, and they are brilliant. If I could use one at work I'd do that.  Regarding the cosmetic issue, I've learnt to accept that this is part of my body.  This is something that can't really be changed so I continuing to dwell on it won't help. I focus in the things I do like about my body (easier said than done).  Hope this helps!
i hv a tail bone since 2 months. i v some mild pain while sitting.hv lost 16 kgs since 1 yr .is that a possible reason?  wht is this new prob i hv now?wt must i do bout it
Hello Lady Tail,
i liked what you had to say on
your outlook to your lets say your  physical trait, you learn to live with like a way of life through your youth and adolescent life.
May i ask does any of your family members share this trait !

Rock on Lady Tail
.
P.S. are you as good looking as your husband!!!
All the best to you both.
Tamerlame.
Hello again
how did your mother teach you to fall without breaking your backbone then neck if you accidentally did fall on your Achilles heal if you understand what i am saying.
A genuine question friend and thank you for sharing this to all involved .
Wish my mother told me, worked it out for myself though even though did not realize how fatal a negative fall could be resulting in being paralyzed.
Look forward to hearing from you sometime soon i hope.
All the best Mr Grumpy!
Tamerlame...
I have the same thing as you and the pain is getting worse day by day. it is so hard to sit and the bones feel like it cuts my skin. It gets very sore irritated and at times gives me scores. They stick out so far and I have dimples on each side of them and it does look like it is a small stub like a dogs tail. it does not matter if I was over weight or thin, I have tried both nothing works to get the pain to go away..... it is just getting worse!
Just want to share my experience here. I'm a 21 year young guy living with a protruding tailbone ever since I was 13. It is still unknown why I did not have this problem at all before I was 13. It might be that I fell on my tailbone a couple of times when I was young and somehow did not notice that it became deformed/dislocated/etc.

What started as a protruding coccyx (little bit red and itchy at the skin in the buttocks) I went to several doctors/orthopedic surgeons/etc. but nobody would take my problem serious and just told me to live with it. So I did, and while sitting was really uncomfortable, I still continued for years to get used to it and sit on it anyway which put a lot of pressure on the coccyx/sacrum.

After a couple of years sitting on it, I noticed that the protruding coccyx (which was visible back then) started to slowly get pushed INWARDS. And even though it became less and less visible with the eye, even to the point that it the protrusion isn't visible at all anymore now, and people who look at at would see nothing anymore.. The more my tailbone gets pushed inwards due to sitting, the more problems I get with my back (stiffness), and my posture is significantly getting worse. While I could sit up straight 8 years ago, I am losing my balance with sitting straight now. My lower back became more stiff over time, after that I started to get problems with a chronic stiff neck. Even after visiting chiropractors/physiotherapists for years, the help would only be temporary, and right now 1 hour after treatment my neck is stiff again, and they cannot "loosen" the stiffness in my back anymore as it became too stiff now.

During these years I've tried consulting numerous doctors, even flew to visit a coccyx specialist Dr. Maigne in Paris, who made sitting/standing x-rays, but refused to provide me with surgery and simply assumed that it would get better if I gained more weight (which is absolutely false, I went from 48 kg to 63 kg and it has nothing to do with the tailbone problems).

As if the stiff back and neck problems weren't enough, it doesn't stop getting worse, and I am getting more problems every few months. At the moment, I have lost even more balance at my pelvis while setting, which causes my legs to get numb after sitting for a while. While sleeping, I have to switch positions over 20-30 times every night, as each position will cause numbness in either my legs or arms/shoulder. Lying on my stomach with a pillow under it feels most comfortable, but will cause numbness as well and is really bad for my neck.

And many more symptoms that words can't easily explain to somebody who never experienced the same problem.

Recently I've even visited many different hospitals and doctors in China, and even they would not take my problem serious simply because the coccyx itself doesn't hurt. Nobody believes me when I tell them all the stiffness/nerve problems are related to my coccyx (due to increasing bad posture).

Even though doctors assure me this won't happen, I am still afraid to end up in a wheel chair or having severe back issues such as hernia. It is just a matter of time. My back problems started since 5 years, and getting worse as time goes by, I don't even want to imagine how bad it will be when I turn 30, or 40, or 50, etc. (Currently studying business and will probably get a office job, which would make things even worse).

The most frustrating part of this is that even now, with all the symptoms that I am suffering with, when people look at me from the outside, they think that I am perfectly healthy just like them. (But if I didn't have this coccyx problem at all, I would look even triple as healthy).

Sometimes I really feel depressed about it, especially at times when I feel that my posture has drastically changed and completely feel immobile for a few days until you body adapts to getting used to it again. This problem has taken away my hobbies from me, and I find it unfair that I cannot do many of the exercises like everybody else while hitting the Gym. But I learnt that the most important thing is to STAY motivated in everything you do, and even if it gets really hard, try to keep a positive mind and think about the fact that there are millions of other people in the world who have it MUCH worse than you. (Even though this problem bothers me every single minute of the day, I would still prefer this 100 times over life threatening diseases such as cancer/aids). And seeing that some people who are paralyzed from their feet up till their chest, and still motivated to enjoy life, I continue thinking that I should not whine that much at all.

Still hope one day to miraculously bump into a surgeon who agrees to remove this bone for me, and I wish you all the best.
have the same problem a large knot the seems larger over the past four years and bends like a perfect L into my body. It took four hours of pushing to deliver my first child and his skull was nearly crushed. My dad used to kick me with steel toed cowboy boots there and hit me with boards but the bone is so thick it broke them in half. Maybe god prepared some people for a fall he looked forward and seen in our lifee.
I'm in my late 50s, I've had the 2 knobs sticking out above my butt crack as long as I can remember.  I just figured it was from falling out of a tree, or falling off my bike, or falling down the stairs... I was an active kid.  I've never noticed it much, except when doing situps on a hard surface.  So I put a pad under my tail then, otherwise I'll rub the skin off.  I did hundreds of situps a night as a teenager, I never let this slow me down.  I never felt self-conscious about it.  Recently a new partner was giving me a massage and asked me if I knew I had a big cyst above my butt, and I had no idea what she was talking about.  I had her take pictures of it to show me, and I laughed when I saw it.  I just told her, "That's part of my spine, it sticks out."  Nothing to be self-conscious about for me.  That's how I'm built, as much as the scars from my active life and everything else.  I sure as heck wouldn't worry about what somebody thinks about it, if they do then that's their problem.  If I was the vain type I might do a tattoo to highlight it in some way, but I just continue to ignore it as I always have.  
i am a 51 year old female, heavier than i used to be...my fat has somewhat obscured the two bony lumps that are right over my but crack,,i can bend over now without them showing through my clothes.  i can still see them and feel them but not as much as when i was skinny...i have always been self conscious about my bony lumps and my ex husband literally tormented me about my bony lumps. this forum is the first time i have ever heard of anyone having the same problem.  i intend to stay a little overweight because of the extra padding around my bony lumps . it makes them not noticeable in my clothes. I have been teased about them in the past, and i was humiliated. i was never comfortable being intimate except with one partner that i spent 5 years with. he passed away last year and i will always miss him......i have never come to terms with this deformity