I just started birth control for first time and now my period wont stop...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I just started birth control for first time and now my period wont stop

I just started birth control about 2-3 weeks ago but now my period won
Regarding the brown discharge, yes sometimes at the end of your period you can have brown, it's old blood, so it's just the last of what was in there coming out. I was on the pill, and I had some spotting mid way through cycle when I was on it. I think that's what they call breakthrough bleeding and IS one of the side effects listed on most birth control pills. If it continues for much longer or gets heavy again check with the nurse at your doctor's office and if need be make an appt. to go in. God bless and let us know what happens!
I had breakthrough bleeding when I turned 18 on bcp.  I had tried 3 other types of pills and I still had bb.  I went to a specialist and she said each bcp type has a different strength of progesterone and estrogen.  If I remember right, if the level of progesterone isn't strong enough for your body, you won't stop bleeding (or maybe it's estrogen....).  Anyway, go to the gyn. and have them play around with the different kids of bcp until they get it right.  It may take a couple of tries, but you'll eventually find the right one.  Good Luck!