I missed my period, but test is negative..what do I do?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I just realized that there are alot of other people going through what I am going through right now. My last period started on Dec 22 and ended on the 27th. My cycle is pretty normal..every 23-28 days, but there was one time where it came in 32 days. Well, I still haven't started yet...I have taken a HPT one evening and it was negative. I have been cramping and every now and then I get tender chested, and these mood swings, right along with wondering if I'm pregnant or not, are driving me insane. I would be laughing one minute, then totally depressed the next. Normally when I get depressed or stressed out, it causes me to start, but after going through all these emotions and still not starting, it's making me wonder what is going on. Can someone please give me some advice on what to do? I don't know how much more of this I can take. My boyfriend and I have unprotected sex and he uses the pull out method. We had sex on Jan.7th and Jan 28th...is it possible I could be pregnant after only doing it twice in a month? After my last cycle ended we had sex 11 days later...is it possible I was ovulating at that time? Please help me..I need some advice.

Thanks so much!
57chevy
Anytime you have sex there's a chance to get pregnant.  Worrying about being preggo can make ur period late, so can change in diet, exercise & stress.  If you arent ready to have a baby get on some form of birth control. Pull out method is the best way to get preggo.  If still no period test in a week or see ur doctor.
Thanks for your input...normally when I stress, it causes me to start, even start early. I guess if I don't start by the 14th I will get a clinic test....it just sucks waiting.  Thanks again for your input on this.

57chevy
This is an update. I went to the clinic today and the test came up negative so, I'm not pregnant.
If your last period started on Dec. 22 then you are pretty darned late. Not sure when you took the test you mentioned but I know you said you took it in the evening. Maybe you could take another one but this time use your first morning urine since it is more concentrated. Or you could just go straight in to the doc for a blood test which will give you a difinitive answer. If you are pregnant, then it is best to find out as soon as possible so that you can begin prenatal care. AS for the dates you mentioned, yeah you could have been ovulating. Women are all different and can ovulate at any time. And I also wanted to mention that the "Pull Out Method" is not a method at all. From what I hear, that's how my Dad got here.  So if you aren't and don't want to be in the future, you should find an actual method of prevention.
Good luck, I hope you get the results you are hoping for.
--J
Thanks for that input...as far as the test I took, I took it the evening of Feb. 3rd...I also had alot of fluids that day too, which could have also affected the result.
Any latest news if your pregnant or not? I also in the same situation but different date, I had my last period Jan 29 and until now (feb 8) is still dont have my period though im experiencing symptoms before having period. On this case I also worried if i am pregnant of not.
I used to record my period on a calendar.  It seems to me my period is quite accurate.  But I have lost my record since Dec 2005 till Feb 2006. I have no clue where I kept the record.  I don't want to get pregnant.  Four days ago, I went to the drugstore to buy those kit to test my urine and the result turned out to be a 'no'.  And yesterday I went to my family doctor to have a blood test done.  The nurse told me they have got a negative from my test. They told me I've got a '2' and if people get points more than 5, they are pregnant.  Can you explain a little bit about those number.  I really want to know.  Thanks so much!
I was two weeks late,I had taken a pregnancy test and it showed up negitive,a couple of weeks later I took another one and it still showed up negitive,I want to the doctor where they to had done a pregnancy,it to showed up negitive so they did an ultrasound to see if they could see anything,they found a set of twins.My nice also was pregnant but her pregnancy test also would show her that seh to was not pregnant when she would be,that happened to her twice.
hi i had my lat period on the 29th of augest and i had it for 5 days i had sex with my partenr after that date i am conviced i am pregnent but my test was negative i dont no what to do i keep being sick n have had period like pains a few days a go but no period nomally i get pains and come on straight away can anybody help me teasha x
Wait a few more days and then take another test. Test with the first morning urine.
If the result is still negative and you still have not gotten your period, you can go to the doctor but it is likely that your not pregnant if you are getting negative results.
I have takin 5 test, all neg. went to the hosital and got lab work and it said neg. i had my last normal period the week of may 15 and then in june had it for one day and nothing in july!!! My doc thinks its my birthcontrol so i quit takin it then i called my obgyn and they said it was my meds the doc had me on so i quit takin those and STILL NO period. So today i called my obgyn and said, " look something has to be wrong i dont have any signs of being pg other then i look two months pg and im so freakin tired i could cry at work and just leave to sleep, how do i start my period??" So she said she will call me in something that will make me start! It doesnt sound safe, she hasnt even seen me so what if i am and then something happens to my baby??? any thought? please help.

Step mom of 3
hay guys i have bin lookin up 4 any info on this.. i had my last period on the 11th - 17th of dec 08 it is now 28th of jan 09 nad have not had my period..? i woundedr weather i am preg i have done 2 home tests but they have came back negitive.! my feb period is due the 4th.. wounder weather i will come on or not.. i just dont under stand y the tests r comin back negitive if i have not had a period 4 so long.. i do not have any symtoms (symptoms) of pregnancy what so ever.. any advise..? xx
Im 29 yrs old and now im in the boat of wondering if i am or not. I have a 7yr old and i knew the day of my missed period I was preg with him. Now im 2 days late and has 1 positive hpt and 2 neg. i dont know what to think or do...
today marks day 40 for me..yup started my last period jan 26 2010. have an appt to see my gyno wed. thank goodness. taken one HPT first thing in the morning two days ago and it's neg. my cycle is usually like clock work every 28-32 days faithfully. the only time I was late was in october shortly after my grandfather died which was an extremely emotional time for me so one week late wasn't a big surprise considering I cried everyday for 17 days. this month has been like any other. no change in diet or exercise really no unusual stress. my husband and i have been trying to conceive for nearly three years and haven't been all that careful for 11. this is all very strange. i've been thinking the worse like cervical or ovarian cancers or unusually early menopause (i'm 31) feeling some what moody swingy slight breast tenderness tends to come and go. maybe a little more tired than usual but nothing note worthy. not any more nauseated than usual...just getting a little scared I supose...
well looks like I am in the same boat as many others
last period 16-20 January.... period before that 2-6 January ????
I thought it was no big deal because I was traveling and a little stressed I have now been without my period 45days (not missing it lol) no real prego symptoms except about 5 extra lbs that kinda just showed up...... i took 4 pee tests from home and 1 doctors pee test and they were all negative..... doc tried to put me on provera/cycrin to have a period.... didn't work and found out they are supposed to give you a blood test because it can cause birth defects and i did not get said blood test..... I have never missed my period this long..... I am kinda hoping that once I get this lovely military doc to answer the phone that I can take a blood test..... if that shows up negative who knows maybe I will be like the lady above where only the sonogram showed the truth has anyone else had a negative blood test with a positive sonogram?....I have been off BC for about 9mos. and this is my first missed period after trying all 9mos.
Well I have the same problem. I had my last period on Feb.18 and have not gotten my period yet. My periods are pretty normal and I haven't been excersicing, not really stressed and no change in my diet. I already had 2 pregnancy test and they were both negative. I've been feeling sick to my stomach a lot and I'll feel really light headed. I've been pregnant 2 before.. The 1st time I had a miscarriage and then with my beautiful daughter whos now 2 yrs old. I'm calling my obgyn 2morrow to get some blood work done because this whole not knowing thing is driving me crazy.
i had my last period may 19th and was due again june 16 but still no period ive had 1 negative preg test but still no period am i pregnant? i have 3 kids already and i have been trying for a 4th child but im unsure what is going on now i really want one more baby i hope im pregnant... my period is never late and all the others have shown up positive straight away..
Anyone pls write answer for all question,or person who has commented pls write follow ups so that one can understand finally wt happned and what reader can conclude for herself.. Thanks
WellI am a 25 yr old married woman,and always having safe sex with my husband. I am suffereing from same, my period was on 30th may, n today is 10 july,i took 2-3 pills to delay period in may 28- 29-30 but then also my period were started at that time. and noe its not coming.Usually its almost regular cycle of 26 days.I tested HPT and it says negative.I donnt understand wt to do.. somebody pls help me..
Well Im in the same boat as some of you. I have missed my period and I have took pregancy test. And well they all show up neggetive. I have went to the doctors and they told me that it was neggative too. I have all the signs of being pregant too. Idc to be pregant but I just want to know. What else should I do.. I have gained weight.. Eat all the time. crave weird things.. Sore boobs.. and ect.. Most of the normal stuff.. always tired even if I just get up..
Dose anyone have any advise on what I should do??!!
Thank You
Oh and for the girl who uses the pull out method.. If you have sex after you get done with your period that is the most time that women are ovualting. So it would be easier to get pregant. And even though he pulls out there might be that chance that he pulled out a little to late.. So dont take the chances if you dont want to get pregant just make sure you use protection.
hello im 31 yrs old and mother of three beautiful kids.  My LMP was on June 24th and it is now July 27th 2010, my period is like clock work every 30 days.  I have NEVER been late, so I am really worried, and I am having early pregnancy symptoms, such as REALLY sore breasts, so sore that I cant wear a bra, mild cramping, some nausea, food cravings, especially for sour stuff and really fatigued.  I took a pregnancy test today, and came up negative.  (but did not use morning urine) which i should of done.  On another note, i also have a tubal ligation, but have read many cases where women have gotten pregnant with a tubal ligation with no problems.  Pls someone help!
Lucy Lu
im fourty seven years old  had my tubes tyed for 22 years im two months late but test are saying negitive... dont have insurance to just go to the doctor could any help with advice???
My last period was January 25 I had 2 periods in one month but when February came I didn't have a period, tomorrow is the last day until march and I haven't had a period this whole month! Today I took a pregnancy test and it came out negative, but I'm going to the clinic tomorrow and I'm pretty sure its gonna come out negative! But if it does would I be able to get an ultrasound to see what's going on..? Would a clinic do that? If u missed ur period for a month and test came out negative!
is any1 finding out why we are late, not preggo??? they told me it could be ovarion cysts but after ultra sounds they saw i didnt have it...im still confused Doctor cant even explain why!!!! ive been tested for everything!!! however im 26 and desperetly want a baby could i be doin this to myself somehow???
greetings everyone, i supposed to have my period on da 5th of April, n today is 12th April, still... im waiting for AF to come, it's been a week..fyi, 2 days before my period is due, i had sore boobs, which i suppose to have it 2 weeks b4 my period ,so i took a upt 4 days ago n found out it was negative.. but i just feel that im pregnant, i have this weird cramps, sore boobs, light nausea, bloated n i feel really tired...what is wrong with me? i rili hope dat im pregnant, so should i wait for another couple of days n take da test again? or go n see a doctor a.s.a.p n do a blood test?pls help
i am 2 weeks late for my period and i am not on any birth control. I took a test last week using a morning sample and at first it was negative i came back 15 minutes later and it was positive. So i went to the family planning clinic and did a test again there, using an evening sample this time it came up negative. The lady said that my urine could of been too dilated to pick up the pregnancy hormones. The following morning i took another test and left it, when i came back it was a very faint positive. I didnt understand whether i was or not so i retested the following morning and it came up negative. Can anyone offer me some support, im just so confused as to whether i am or not. I'm developing cravings,got tender breasts, im tired, and have been feeling hot flushes, bloated and even for the past few nights reached to be sick. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I always have my period in the beginning of the month & my period always come normally, & I never missed it. Now it's June 15, which is really late because I never have my period in the middle month. I took 1 pregnancy test at home & it's neg. I went to a free clinic & it's still negative, so they told me to come back a week after this date because it might be too early.

* If you have
- sore boobs
- tired more then usual/ take long naps
- pee alot
- poops harden/ chunks
- gaining weight
- eat alot/ or craves
- nausea/ morning sickness
you are definitely prego even if it's says neg

I've been tired lately but not yet having morning sickness & sore boobs.
I have a 2 year old son & he gives me all of the above after a month of my pregnancy, so after I check in with my doctor to get a blood test & ultra sound, I will let you guys know. :)
I haven't started in four mnths, test negative but i'm still trying?? what is WRONG WITH ME!!!
I'm going through the same thing...My last period was around Dec. 2nd and i was supposed to get it in Jan. 1st and im already a week late. I previously took the at home tests and both were negative as well. Should I go too a doctor to find out????
hi i was last on 13 march havent come on yet and the test just keeps saying am not pregnant i have 3 children and this as never happened before do you think am pregnant.
The last time I had a period was febuary 27th.so that means I havent had one all march nd now itz april...i took like 5testes they all cam out negative...nd I even went to my doctors nd it was still negative....my doctor told me itz to early to tell..so he took blood work is it possible I might be pregnant but itz to early to tell....
i have been on hormone pil from feb month coz the doc said i dont ovulate i the first month i had a cycle off 14 days the next month 16 then 26 days then 28 and then i left the hormone pil and the next cycle was 32 days but normaly im only 5 days but the cycle off 32 days i was 8 days on my period....... if im on a 28 day cycle i was sepouse to be on my period yesterday and i did not have my period but if im on a 32 day cycle my period will be on monday...... CAN I BE PREGNANT ??? i have taken test but all negative !!!!! please help me ???? me and my husbant want a baby verry bad.....but i dont think i ovulate coz we have sex 3-5 times a week so i dont know what to do anymore......
Hey everyone I need help my period came on last month Oct 25-30 but it was suppose to came on the 21 but my doctor said I could of had a chemical pregnancy am a regular 28 cycle but last month it was a 32 cycle....Now it the month of Nov and my cycle was pose to come on on the 21 or 22 this month and I didn see it yet I had cramps like my cycle coming on but still nothing, I took a pt yesterday and it was positive I took 1 this morning and it negative....yes we are trying to conceive we had sex the 3-11 and ovulation was the 8 of Nov or the or the 12 if its counting the 32 cycle....could I be pregnant or should I wait til next week to take another test??
I am 6 days late and I have been sick to my stomach and getting sleeper. And I took like 4 test and all say no.and me and my husband have been trying for years. What should i do.
Hey I'm 18 years old and I missed my period this month.I just got some brown pink discharge no period I took n test and it said negative! I'm swolen,my breast are sort of tender and I have a lot of moodswings! I've got a lot of simtims what's wrong? Am I pregnant
I took so many test and came out negative I had unprotected sex last month. I had sex the 24th and 25 th of December and those were my fertile days. My last period was December 9 and it's the 11th now I'm 5-6 says late now i went to the clinic and told me I was negative. I'm feeling symptoms I never had before. Headaches,bloating, neseaus here and there. Mood swings, burping,gassy. Idk what to do
Take a test after 1 week. I had this problem, My periods was delayed for 3 MONTHS. I was then new to this place and doctor told me that it may be because of the change of place and climate. After 2 months they took a thyroid and blood test for me. After 3 months I got my periods. Your symptoms says you might be pregnant but worrying about pregnancy may also cause these symptoms. Stress and thyroid can also cause delay in periods. what I would do is, wait for another week and get a test done. If that is negative better consult your GP. My mother is a GP in India, if you have any questions I can ask her and tell you..
so i was suppose to get my period on the 24th and it has almost been 7 days after i took 2 test and all negative and i dont know if i could be pregnant or not i been cramping but i dont know if thats my period coming or something i havent been stressing at all i called my doctor and he told me to wait another month and do the test all over again and see cause it still will not be accurate if i barely missed 7 days
Um on april 16 I had sex with my hubby.  And on may 6-9 I had my period. May I didn't have sex the whole month and june comes and I don't se my period for the whole month but around the 20th of june i did had sex with my hubby. I never skip a month or day , Weeks. My period is alway on point. I took 3 HPT and all came out negative. Going crazy here. Help please......  
Ok well I had sex September 7th then I got my period on the 18th of the same month. I missed my period for October until now still waiting. No I haven't have sex after my last period in September.i had sex on the 3rd of this month. So what that mean? I don't feel anything. I fell twice last week that I am getting my period but I didn't not.

Pls tell me what to do...

Knish