I need some womenly advice!

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I need some womenly advice!

I'm 17 and have been wondering what a pelvic exam and pap smear are? When should you go for them and what are they like? I'm also wondering what its like to get a mammogram and STD test done? Do they hurt and when should I get one? I've been sexually active since age 15 and have had no one to tell me about these types of things so any advice is helpful for me! Thanks
You should definitely go get a pap smear and pelvic exam annually, once you are sexually active. It's nothing to be afraid of. They kind of feel weird and sometimes a little uncomfortable but it doesn't hurt. Mammograms usually start later in your life when you're a bit older, but it's different for everyone. I'm not sure on the age that should start but every time I've gone in for my yearly visit, the gynecologist has also done a breast exam to check for abnormalities. Pretty sure that's all that's necessary at your age. STD tests are all done differently...Some of the tests require a urine sample and then other STDs are detected through a blood sample. You could let your doctor or gynecologist know you would like to be tested and the will do it for you.
Hope this helps. It's smart of you to get all of this information now. Good job =)
Thanks so much!
you should have one every year after you are sexually active. the pelvic exam is more uncomfortable than painful. the only thing i had after a pap smear was light cramps.not bad at all. a pelvic exam is where they just make sure everything is good in there lol. a pap smear is where they take this long q tip looking thing and swab your cervix to test for certain things, ie cervical cancer. std tests are also done with a swab & a blood test. since you say youve been sexually active for two years you might wanna go asap. hope this helped :)
I'm kind of scared now, I'm waiting for a doctor to take me on, we're on a shortage here. Can a doctor and gynecologist do the same things?
Yes, your family doctor can give you a pap smear, pelvic exam and check for STD's. It's not going to hurt so have no fear. It's just something that we must do, to keep ourselves healthy. HAVE NO FEAR, you'll be fine. It's a responsible thing to do at your age, and it shows your maturity.
This site may help walk you through the exams.
http://www.sexualityandu.ca/sexual-health/going-to-doctor/first-pelvic-exam
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
aiyanas_momma commented on photo
Sep 25
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals