I want to get pregnant but...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I want to get pregnant but...

My husband and I are both wanting to start a family. The problem is that when I was in High School I had really heavy and irregular periods up until college when I had a period that lasted over 3 months. I went to the doctor, and he put me on birth control pills. I was on the pill for several years and this January we decided to finally go off and hope to start a family. We both know that it can take several months for my system to work itself out before I might be able to get pregnant. At first my periods were really light and and some months almost nonexsistent. Now, however, it seems like my body is going back to they way it was in college. My periods have gotten heavier, and now it seems like it wont stop. How am I suppose to get pregnant when I won't stop bleeding? Also, it seems like every time things settle down enough where we think, 'maybe this is the month' I start bleeding/having my period shortly after sex. Has anyone ever gone through anything like this or know someone who did? What worked for you/them?