IUD with pregnancy symptoms, but negative test....HELP???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I had an IUD put in last Jan after I had my son and every month I have a period(I call it "what's the point period") but this month it hasn't come and I have sore boobs and they feel so heavy now and i'm dischargeing clearish stuff and i'm also having mild cramps off and on. Acouple of days ago I was having ligament pulling down below my belly if I moved wrong or if I sneezed, like I did when I was pregnant with my son. I think my last period was at the beginning of Oct. Well i took a test this morning when my hubby got up for work at 5:30 and it came out negative, could it have been to soon??? Please let me know what you guys think.
Viewing 1-200 comments:
A friend on mine got pregnant when she had the copper IUD, but it ended up being a tubal pregnancy. When I had mine I did research and there are quite a few people that have gotten pregnant while it was still in. Have you checked the string to see if it's still in place?
You said that your last AF was the beging of Oct? How many days late are you? In most cases you can take the test the first day of missed Af. But the longer you wait the more chances of getting a correct answer. Take another test in a day or two and if you still don't get a + then go in and see your Dr. and ask for a blood test.
Another thing, what kind of IUD do you have? There is the copper one and the other one that lets out some kind of hormone (or something like that, I didn't have that one) the one that lets out a hormone alot of people don't get their AF with that one.

Good luck!
Seems like I have heard of more people getting pg with the copper one over Mirena, but in both cases it is still rare to get pg while it is in place.

If you are having symptoms there should be enough hcg to be picked up on a pg test in theory. Give it a few more days and test again, if the result is still negative and your period is still MIA, get into the doctor.

Andi
Thanks!! I have a Mirena. I will give it another try.....I wish my AF would just come already so I wouldn't have to worry about it.
You know that it isn't unheard of for your period to disappear completely with Mirena. Oftentimes it occurs during the first year and lasts until it is removed. This could also be the case. But it is always better to be cautious and run your concerns past your doctor.

Andi
I have had this IUD for 4 years now. It was painful to get implanted, since I did not have any kids yet. Those symptons went away after 2 weeks. I have not had a period for over 3 years. There has been some occasional spotting, but very minimal. My breast have been firm as well (a very nice side effect I might add) for this whole period. They are sometimes more sensitive, just like during a period. So what you might be experiencing could be normal. Hope that helps. S.
This is so weird. I am having the same exact problem that libbee23 is having right now. The same exact sypmtoms, no joke. I also got my Mirena IUD in January. I've always done more than spotting, but 4 weeks ago i started to spot, but when I put on a pantyliner i stopped spotting. The same thing happened a few days later. 2 weeks ago my boobs hurt so bad, but just like you the pregnancy test was negative. I haven't had a normal ( or what I would call normal) period since September 24th. I talked to a nurse and she said sometimes that's normal to miss one, but when I was at the doctor back in Sept. she told me not to worry if I miss a period as long as my boobs don't start to hurt or as long as I don't get any other symptoms of pregnancy. The nurse said I could wait a few weeks and if I didn't start I could come in a do a blood test. I still think it's freaky that we are having the same exact symptoms. Let me know what your doctor says if you go to see them. (If you don't mind) so maybe I'll know what's going on with me. Thanks!
I am 34 and have have a mirena iud for 2 1/2 years recently I had several of the same symptoms that have been posted. I have unexplained wieght gain, breast tenderness,sorness, missed period, cramping and severe mood swings on top of that unexplained dizzness, fatigue and energy spurts with on and off pain in my lower right side. This is crazy I took a preg test today with a neg result though the neg line was very faint. I have appointment at the being of next week with my doctor. My boyfriend wants me to take it out because he is so worried and on top of that I can't feel my strings! The stress is killing me. I am disappointed in the IUD due to the fact my body seems to be going through all of this and come on my son is now 16 years old. The thought of have anthor child at this age with a son that is 16 - I can't even explain my thoughts and fears.
i have been having all the symptoms of being pregnant even to the point where i feel the baby kicking in my ribs. i took a blood test and it came out negative, my doc said we will try in two more weeks. i made an appointment for an ultrasound to be safe. i wonder why we have to go through all this with the iud the reason i got it was so i wont have to worry about getting the depo, but i guess that worked for five years next time im sticking  with it. than i go on the babies online site to see how far along am i and in one week i dont remember which one it says the breast produces colostrum, so me being unpatient i go ahead for the squeeze.........surprise some fluid appears.....i cant wait for the ultrasound its in three days........wish me the best.........thank you for listening.....
why do the pregnancy test come out negative? especially the blood test ? what kind of test do we have to do? i think in our case is trust our instincts and get an ultrasound done asap!
Ok, Since I am experiencing similiar issues I am wondering what the results of your ultrasound were, if you don't mind sharing.  I feel like I am loosing my mind or imaging things given that I had my routine ob apt only about 45 days ago and the blood work was fine.  My strings from the IUD have never been found.  At the one month check up they did an ultrasound and found them it to be in place but with the strings above my cervix.  they did not repeat the utlra sound at the one year or the 2 year check up since I hadn't really been experiencing problems, actually I was so consumed with other stressful situations that I didn't start noticing some of these symptoms until recently.  I have only taken one test and it was negative, but after some of the things I have read I am getting concerned.  I haven't had a period for over a year and a half, but the sore breast, extreme fatigue and the feeling like there's movement are all there.  anyway I was just looking and came across your post and was wondering if you had an update.  thanks
Okay now I know I am not a basket case! I too have all of the same simptoms. My doc told me when I got the Mirena IUD put in (6weeks afters son was born) that I may not have a normal period until its out. I have had it for 21/2 years now without AF and just recently 3 months ago I started to feel flutters in my abdomen and tiredness. I took only one test and it was negative but now those movements are stronger and my energy level is ka-put. The strings are still in place but I notice they aren't as easy to grab as they were when it was first put in... my cervix is also extremely soft (hopefully that didn't gross anyone out). I'm moody, bloated, nauseated, having cravings, don't want sex, and can sleep all day literally. My appt is today so hopefully I will find something out. If any of you have had a sonograhm with these's symptoms your feedback is needed. Right now I think I am loosing my mind
I went to my gyno after my last post and he did the usual urine and blood test which of course were negative.  I told him about all the symptoms exept the felling movement since I still felt like an idiot even aying that outloud.  He offered to remove the IUD, but I opted to wait on that.  With no ultrasound I am hestiant about doing anything.  I am going to see my regular MD this week to find out what is going on.  My ob acted like none of my "sypmtoms" were related to the IUD and I couldn't be pregnanat since the IUD was still there (although the strings have been above my cervix since day one and I'm not real confident that it is in place - the lack of peiod has happened to me before aver getting off the depo shot, took over a year to return.) anyway, I still feel like I am loosing my mind......just wondering if anyones ultrasounds showed anything...
i have a iud and i am feeling the almost the same symptoms as everyone else. i had period last month and this month it came early but it was like spotting not really heavy for the past two weeks i have been feeling like a cow bloated and i havent even eatting lot i feel sick to my stomach off and on throught out the day and i have been very tired and very emotional.  i took a test but it came up negative i am going to try agian in the morning..  if anyone has found out why we all have similar symptons please let me know thanks
i have a mirena iud and have been having the same problem as all of you.  about 3-4 weeks ago i noticed my boobs were really sore, started feeling sick on and off (ended up getting sick a few times too), extremely tired, mood swings, bloated, cravings, cramping and ligament stretching like feeling in lower abdomen.  the weirdest part was that i am one of those people that never cries over anything and the other day my fiance said something just kidding around and i just started crying like a baby (and this has happened several times since).  today i put on a tank top i wear all the time and i noticed my boobs have gotten so big that the shirt is about 3inches shorter than it was and my stomach is sticking out like it was when i was preggo with my daughter.  i havent taken a test yet because i keep trying to convince myself im just crazy or delusional but after reading all this im going to get one tomorrow!
i have the same symptoms as everyone else does and i have a copper iud. my tests come out negitive too. i decided to have it removed. ill have to up date it. its too much stress for me and my hubby. please help me out if you get some answers
I have read hundreds of posts describing various sympoms experienced by mirena users, but the very recent post from arismommy03 describes me exactly.  Even my 7-year old asked me if my boobs were growing.

My mirena was exactly 5 years old this month; doc said I could keep it longer as long as I wasn't using it exclusively for b/c.  However, I went to see her last week because my stomach, which is normally flat, is bloated.  Not only do I look like I am pregnant, but I feel like I'm experiencing several pregnancy or severe PMS symptoms.  Doc said she'd replace it since I had success with it for most of the 5 years (esp. no periods), but she could find the strings. I knew I'd felt them just days earlier because I wondered if it had possibly come out.  I've not felt it for a week now.

I get the ultrasound Friday. I'm beginning to dread what they will find, but will post following the results for those you experiencing the same things.

Thanks to all for sharing.
i have had the iud for 5 weks and i have an eleven week old and i feel prgnant, but i have been bleeding the entire time
ive had alot of the same symtopms everyone here is having. mood swings and the part where it feels like a baby is moving. ive had my iud (mirena) in since feb. and ive hated it ever since. ill never recomend it to anyone! ive hurt so bad since ive had it put in. im saving up the $ to have it taken out since i have no medical coverage. my daughter is 7 months old and i really dont need to have anohter child right now but id much rather put up with being pregnant again than all the pain, moodswings, no period, stress etc etc...
KandyKane

Cannot wait to read what happens with you. I am comming on my 4th yr and often wonder about replacing it before my 5th yr.

I wonder how does the mirena comes out and we don't notice?  I sometimes don't feel the strings but my doctor told me that they become soft and can be hard to tell that they are there.
Have any of you gotten the results yet from ultrasounds?

I have had my Mirena about 3.5 years now  6 weeks after my daughter was born and have never had a period with it.  I checked it the other day and was able to feel the string and it felt in the right place. BUT as of lately I have been more hungry then usual, lower back on the right side has been sore/achy, feel like I never get enough sleep even though I sleep between 7 to 8 hours a night and just the past day or two my nipples in particular have been extremely tender.  I am currently going through a divorce so the last thing I need is to be pregnant as already raising my  little girl on my own.  I took a pregnancy test about 2 weeks ago that was negative and now seriously considering picking up another one tonight.  

Glad to know that I'm not the only one that has been feeling this way but would like to know the outcomes other people had that posted earlier.  
I have felt the same way....sounds like a normal side effect. I'm now 6days late and 2 hpt tests were negative, one looked like it had a very faint line. I think I'm paranoid, but at the same time I'm worried after having 2babies it scares me to have the same symptoms as I did with them. I'm going in to do a test at my ob office. My periods have always been on time right down to the time of day so I'm worried. My last period was very light for me and short. I guess we'll see....I am going to have the IUD (mirena) taken out though. I've read so many horror stories about the chances of losing the baby if you are prego or the risks involved. I wouldn't want to have to deal with that, I would definately want the baby and wouldn't gamble with it's life. My hubby and I aren't ready for baby number 3 but would except it happily.  As far as people feeling the baby...you would have to be pretty far along and by that time a test would definately come out positive. You usually don't feel the baby move until about 16wks and with only one missed period you would only be between 6-8wks. I am curious to see how everyone is doing and how many are actually pregnant. Looks like so far no one is.
I got the Paragard last month and had my period a few days after insertion.  I was taken of the birth control pill after almost 11 years due to high blood pressure and decided I never wanted to do hormones again.  The doctor warned me that having my period soon after insertion would be painful, but I was surprised that I had little to no cramping and not a heavy flow.  My period is now due next week and I am freaking out because I have pregnancy symptoms as well.  Nauseau, tired all of the time, can't stop burping, food cravings, a crazy sense of smell, etc.  I decided to hold off on taking a test until after I miss my period.  Like you all, I have this feeling that I am, but will have to wait to find out.
I'm SO glad I'm not the only one going through this. I had my Mirena IUD surgically removed with a D&C and hysteroscopy when my GYN removed the IUD after 5 years and 4 months on 12/11/2007.  It was surgically removed because my GYN couldn't find the string and a few days later developed an infection. I had light bleeding for a day and half after the removal. While on the IUD I had no weight gain and no periods, maybe an occasional cramp, NO PMS. So no complaints there...HOWEVER, since the removal and the 5 encounters with my husband (lol) I'm experiencing breast tenderness, bloating, and clothes don't fit, notice strange smells or worse my husband smells like something is sour in his stomach. I've taken 4 EPT test which all were Negative. I just had blood test today and waiting for the results.. I have no idea if I'm ovulating or when my cycle is or will be, so I can't gage if this is in my head, or if this is the real deal and I'm pregnant. It’s been Three weeks since the removal….If I am pregnant should I be having the symptoms this fast??????
i have had the mirena iud for a year now exactly and I have never had a period until a few weeks ago i had some spotting and not much. I have also been having major cramps , moody , crying for no reason, certain food i like just doesnt taste the same. I am young and i am afraid to have a third child le alone a complicated one. I took one test a week ago i am going to get one tonight. I am afraid amnd my husband wants it out. He also wants another one but i cant afford it . anyways i thought i would add that i feel like most of u all as well.
I have the Mirena and have loved it so far.  I have had it for almost a year and have not had any problems, or periods.  It has been great.  But for the past 4 days I have had SEVERE cramping, but no bleeding.  I took a pregnancy test and it came out negative, but am not sure what is going on.  I wish my period would come, but since it is so unpredictable I have no idea if I am late or not.  Anyone come up with a negative test just to find it positive a few days later?
I have had the iud for 3 1/2 years. And as i read everyones comments i am actually pleased to know that every one is having the same symptoms, (because it means that im not crazy)!! i cant wait for my hubby to come home so that i can show him all of your comments. my breasts are not sore or tender but i can still produce milk. which is odd because i did not breast feed any of my 3 children. i too have taken pregnancy tests that have turned out negative. i am going to set up an appt with my dr to insure that these are just common symptoms.
hi everyone, I've had paragard in since July 2007 and I've always been on time. I know i got my period at the end of august. we are now in oct. 10. I've been feeling all the symptoms did a pregnancy test and came out negative. The only things is that my breast don't feel different. When i was pregnant with my first child the soreness and crying was through the roof. but now I've had headaches everyday in the morning, dizzy, the smell has been incredible and hungry early in the morning. I've been spotting but it doesn't feel like a real period should i be worried because i am. Was anyone spotting eventhough they were pregnant? please Help!
Hi everyone, I have had my iud since my second daughter was born six years ago, i have never missed a period, and this month im late, i have mood swings, i get bad headaches, dizzyness, and i am exausted, I feel I have no energy Im always sleepy, I dont know if its stress but I have stressed before and never missed , and this week when I was supposed to get it, I just spotted like when you finish your period. I dont know what is wrong with me, should I do a pregnancy test? my sister got pregnant while she had the iud and all the test came out negative, should i wait it out and see if I get it? Im afraid just because of all the things they say about the iud that can harm a baby , and Its worked for 6 years so why now? please help
Hello, i am having the same problems. I  have had my iud for 3 and half years. and the last 2 weeks I have been feeling different,  i get bad headaches, dizzyness, and i am exausted, I feel I have no energy Im always sleepy,  I always have my flow right on time each month. but the last 2 months  it has came late and very light. and one day nothing and the other just light.. I have a apt. next week. but was wondering if anyone knows anything about this. or if anyone has found out they was prego?
I have the Mirena.
Well, I have been ecperiencing pregnancy symptoms without the exception of morning sickness which I experienced throughout my 1st trimester of my last pregnancy. I have been taking pregnancy tests since May and they have all come out negative but now I am freaking out because I am feeling movement in my stomach, sometimes kicks.  So I am seriously considering getting a blood test or a sonogram because the suspense is killing me.  I don't think that it is shocking that I have not had my period since before my daughter was born but it is scary not having a period for a ling time,although I can't say I miss it.  Well, everyone else let me know of their experiences, please.
Hi, everyone :)

Don't panic. I have had my IUD (mirena) in for 2 years now (almost to the day). My periods have virtually stopped, but I still have cramping, breast tenderness off and on, and some strange symptoms when I ovulate (more cramping, odd mood swings, etc.). The reason the bleeding stops is because the lining of the uterus thins out so much with mirena that there is almost nothing that needs to be expelled during the monthly AF. On the flip side, this is also what makes it extremely difficult to get pregnant...there is nothing for the egg to implant itself in.

While I would definitely consult with a doc if your symptoms are very odd, I would try and stay as calm as possible. The first few months that my period stopped, I was so paranoid, convinced I was pregnant, and had all kinds of "symptoms" that I honestly believe were in my head. It's amazing how pregnant you can feel once you think you might be! Mirena is really pretty effective...so I would not be too concerned.

Hope that helps :)
OMG, I'm feeling the same symptoms and I go for the Ultra sound in two weeks, I'm having all the Peg symptoms and the Peg tests came out neg, and blood and Urine are fine, but I'm having alot of spotting and a regular period
What about anyones nails getting hard?   They were always incredibly brittle but now they grow like weeds. I've been incredibly hungry lately which seems to be the norm with everyone here and my stomach is bloated outward so I've looked like a pregnant woman the past year.  I've had it in for a year with no real issues except that I've felt weird lately.  Last night I got really light headed, and ended with 20 minutes of the shakes.  I don't have money right now so I'm wondering if buying a test is worth my effort.  It appears as if nobody here was actually pregnant or there would be some sort of reply by now.  That's my two cents, wish me luck...
About a month ago I began ill with what seemed like the average flu - but it got worse, I started having severe chest pains and was referred to a cardiologist - I have mitral valve prolapse but it is not a problem.

Next I took a bunch of tests and it showed leukocytes, nitrite, and protein in my urine but they were not all together but positive for three different test samples. ex:  nitrite + but protein and leukocytes negative in that test and visa versa.

Next an ultra that showed kidney problems - one doc said i had pyelonephritis...then urine test showed, e coli bacteria in the urine 100,000 to 1ml , swab test showed streptococcus pneumonia bacteria...

I was put on antibiotics and still i had sharp chest pains - then they said gastritis - then my uterus began to contract for hours - this is when i went to the gyne.

I found out yesterday I have a two month old fetus inside, my copper IUD is in the exact spot.   The fetus died and today I have to have a D &C  I am scared because of the other diagnosis and the fact my pregnancy test was negative.

I don't know what to do....

I have sat read each and every comment on this page.  i thought that i was crazy with the symptoms that i have been having.  I've had the mirena for almost a year and loved every minute except for these last 3 weeks.  My husband has not been wrong about me being pregnant yet and i have 2 children and have had one miscarrage (miscarriage).  He's saying that i'm preggo now and i keep saying that i'm not, but is sure looks like it.  I'm glad that you all have posted your comments because you have helped me out a little.  The mood swings, sickness and being lazy i hope are all just in my head.  Good luck to you all!!

A'lleala
I just wanted to say that the D & C went well and I am feeling better for the first time in over a month.  I really thought the possibility of becoming pregnant with the IUD was very low, the fact that I have a heart shape uterus and polycystic ovaries and still got pregnant despite have the IUD says a lot.
Same story, had my mirena IUD 2 1/2 yrs. about 1 year into it, period disappeared.  Felt kicking, nausea, heightened sense of smell, bloated stomach, fatigue, crazy cravings, went to ob...results...Negative.  My doc. as well blew off my symptoms and told me twas nothing to worry with.  

Not until about the last two weeks, MY NEW Symptom, hard sore breast.  I did breast feed, and this reminded me of engorged lactating breast.  I also have had insatiable appetite. Don't want to go back to ob, all she will say is no worry's.  I also have gone through about 12 pregnancy test over the past 2 1/2 years, do to all these symptoms , repeating to myself "I'm not crazy, rather be safe than sorry" blah!  

ONE OTHER (what I think is) important thing, after I birthed my son I ripped (upwards) and and when I would urinate it was very severe pain.  When I was healing, I had a very rotten metallic acrid smell that the wound was permeating.  Don't think gross of me, I kept all parts really clean, but that smell was def. "rot" .  

When I went to my ob when I thought I was preg. (about 1 1/2 yr. ago) I had that same smell, as well she could feel the strings.  I have read that some woman's IUD's have displaced themselves, and ended up puncturing there uterus, also causing infection.  I believe that may be what is causing this odd smell.

Got an apt. set for wed. of this week.  Feeling slightly stupid again, hoping I am not just looking paranoid.  Hope we hear back from some of those woman that had the ultrasounds.  
I wanted to correct a typo!!!!

My OB could NOT feel my strings that 1 1/2 years ago that I had my "check-up".  
I have been having the nausea , fatigue , weird smells, weird taste, I am starving all the time and feel sick if i eat! I went to the doctor today and the urine test was negative! They did blood work ( and I am still waiting to hear back), and scheduled me for an ultra sound friday!

I have had my mirena 2 times now, I had a baby in October of 05, and had it placed at my 6 week check up, In Feb. 07 I had it removed as I thought it was causing my stomach pains, I had no period, and the day they removed it got my period like clock work every month ! I got prego in April of 07 on accident! I knew before i was even late for my period! Then in May 07 had a miscarriage and in July 07 had a mirena put back in. I did the whole bleeding non-stop thing for a few months, and then much to my happiness, stopped having a period all together, never any spotting, NOTHING.... well a few weeks ago (a month or month and a half ) I had one episode of spotting. I wiped and there it was a twinge of pink!! didn't think anything of it until I started to feel nauseated the past two weeks. I will check back after my blood test come back, and my ultra sound on friday! Keep your fingers crossed. I don't want to be prego, the whole point in having the IUD was to not be prego. I have a beautiful 3 yo and my boyfriend has a 8 and 7 yo.... we are in a too small apt. as it is and don't want anymore children. wish me luck!

Going Crazy in Maine!
well my blood test and all my other blood work came back negative....

BUT................................... last night in the shower i noticed my breast was leaky.....

I am dumb founded......

Friday I go for an Ultrasound.... if that is clear and not prego I go monday for a consult for tubal ligation.........

So I stummbled upon this site b/c I have ALL of the symptoms of pregnancy. I have taken 2 test.. NEG. Im light headed, craving chicken wings and sunflower seeds... leaky breasts... pregnancy symptoms. I have an apt on wed and I think Im going to ask for an ultrasound because this is just crazy. I havent missed aperiod since I had the Mirena put in a year ago... but Im almost 3 weeks late. Oh Lord...  
I too have been having the same symptoms i have been craving string cheese and a certain sandwich. I have alot of saliva like my mouth waters all the time..in december i was very nausious but i soon got the flu that lasted several weeks (the rest of my family caught it also not as long). Ive had mirena since october of 07 and had quite heavy periods up until this past november the last one was practicly nothing. I feel extremly bloated and feel flutters in my stomach. i dont have gas following the flutters. ive had three children and im not really ready for another...ive taken 3 hpt all came back neg...i dont have insurance at this time so im stuck being dumb founded...has any one recently become pregnant on the mirena iud? im really stressed about this...thanx for listening
What did the ultrasounds show?

I have had the Mirena since May. All of my periods have been normal up until this month. I got the strings checked about 3 weeks ago and they were fine. Well now my period is 2 weeks late. I feel strangely like I did when I was pregnant with my son. I am going to be freakin po'd if I am pg. If I am not pg, why would be period just stop all of the sudden?

I have the copper Iud coil fitted around 4 months ago, my periods were always on time literally to the day... Now i am over 10 days late, i have back ache, stomach pains, butterflies in my stomach, and headaches. All the signs of pregnancy as well as sore boobs.
I have taken 2 pregnancy test and both came out negative, went to the doctors and they checked to see if the coil is in place and it is. I am just not really sure what to do, and am pretty freaked out.
If anyone has any advice please help me!!!! thanks x x
Dear ladies....

I've had the Mirena for 2 years now with great success.  Please ladies, if you do not have an MD after your name- please call your doctor and DO NOT post things like this online.  If you're so much of a worrier that every month you worry about whether or not the IUD is preventing pregnancy- maybe you should consider a different type of birth control. All your 'symptoms' are normal PMS symtoms (symptoms) to which none of you would have given a second thought to had you not all had the IUD.  Please remember that you have a foreign object in your uterus... I highly doubt the human body will ignore that fact each month.  When you have cramps- guess what?  ITS NORMAL.  It's frustrating to read things like this... especially since I've worked in OB/GYN for the last 10 years.  Just because you've got food cravings and mood swings- does not mean you're pregnant.  Get a grip girls- please!
I think your post was a little insensitive, this is a site for people to chat with each other and vent worries, thoughts and feeings. This site and the things that people have posted have helped me greatly to understand that this is more common a problem than i had imagined. I myself am experiencing symptoms of pregnancy with an IUD and I can empathise and confirm that they are very different to what happens when you are simply pre menstrual. So posts telling people that their thoughts and feelings are invalid and adding comments such as 'get a grip' are not only insensitive but incredibly unproffessional.
If these posts infuriate you to such an extent then feel free not to read them.
I just wanted to say i completely agree with everything gem23fox posted. Also you need to realize that even going to you Dr is pointless when they have an attitude such as yours. Gives no peace of mind. I feel sorry for you, you don't seem very nice, go be frustrated elsewhere, please.

To all my fellow concerned ladies...

I have experienced that and of course got a second opinion, and that dr was appalled with the other Dr practices (probably also due to that fact she is his employee) The first Dr looked on my file saw mirena and refused to do a pg test, pee or blood but did test me for brain tumor and thyroid problems, (they're all clear, yay!) I also asked her if it is stress related, as the only symptom i had was lactation, and what is there to do about that. She told me to meditate. Meditate! When? I have 2 children, 7 and 2, a husband (we all know how demanding they can be, god love him) I work and study and run a business with my hubby, have no family to help out, hubby's help but that is sporadic as they have lives too. Anyway the second Dr has organised pregnancy and hormone blood tests, plus ultrasounds of my pelvis and breasts. My symptoms now have escalated to, including lactation ( achy boobs, get the letdown feeling,) nausea in morning and evening, mild cramping and backache, no AF (5 days late,) and as of yesterday very pronounced Montgomery's tubercles (usually cant see them at all on me) oh and constipation grrr. I have the ultrasounds this avo, so i guess I'll know for sure soon enough.

Good luck girls xo
i have had mirena for a lil less than a year. i have been feeling sick(and getting sick) after i eat dinner at night for the past couple of days, i havent had a peroid in almost 2 months, i have dizziness, mood swings, not feeling up 2 my normal standards headaches like what i had when i was pregnant. i have a 13 month old daughter. i am only 17 and i got mirena cause, ithought that i would keep me from gettin preganat. i took 2 pregancy test at the beging of this week one didnt work and the other said negative. im ging to go see a dr. next week! if you have any advice plz give it 2 me! my email is courtney.***@****
THANK GOD you all are here!  My husband thinks I'm insane but I have the same issues.  Bloating, cravings (for sour patch kids which I NEVER eat), stomach pains, headaches.  I have had Mirena for 2yrs now this has just started in the last two weeks or so.  thought I had a stomach bug at first now to many "odd" things.  My stomach is protruding and even my close friends are asking the question as I'm eating stuff I never eat.  I went for blood work today hope to know tomorrow.  I took a home test yesterday it was Negative.  No on has updated...were ANY of you pregnant or is this a symptom of Mirena?
?pos/neg preg test?

My IUD Marina was placed after my daughter was born in 2001(replaced it in 2006). I have always had a normal but light, 5-7 day AF around the middle of the month for the past 8 years I had the IUD,  in FEB my period stopped on day 2. no spotting, nothing. clear discharge
This is more then just pre mens sxs. I get so dizzy and nauses I have to sit down. cant stand the smell of usual things like the smell of my car or kids to a point I will gag and almost vomit. emotions unstable. nipples are sensitive, dont want to have sex or be touched. back pain, fast heart beat with activity, very sleepy all the time.
the first preg test I took was positive. stunded, sense I have the IUD, I  had a friend confirm. I took another test the next morning it was neg. I had a blood test done today i will let you guys know the results. Im not one to worry and I believe in facts but this has me so confused.
"JUST WANT TO FEEL BETTER AND HAVE AN ANSWER!"
thanks for listening,

This is crazy!  I am going through the exact same thing.  Nausea, heartburn, sore breasts, all the preggo symptoms.  My doctor wanted to blow it off too because I have Mirena.  She did order blood tests.  Get the results in April 30th.  I will absolutely post back because this is ridiculous!
Well I just got my results back.  Nothing wrong at all.  Not pregnant!  I hope you other girls post some of your results back too.
I too felt like the comment that  GYNyoda made was a little insensitive, who cares what your profession is, this is a forum, a place where you come to vent and no one knows who you are.
To All the IUD Ladies:

I have had my Mirena for 4 years in July, my children left for a week over Spring Break and you know what they sya, when the kids are away the parents will play! Well, this week I started having symptoms just like yours ( BUT GYNyoda, I have NEVER had these before in the past 4 years, so no, it's not NORMAL!)  Anywho, I have taken 4 pregnancy tests, the first one came back with a faint positive but all the others since have come back neg. ( but it was a different, cheaper brand). I think it is way to early to tell as my husband and I only had our little vacation April 6-10, but these symptoms came on just in time from what I read on WedMD, you feel these symptoms as early as the 2nd week. I have an appt. this week. GYNyoda could be right to a point, it just might be a flook but her comment of telling you all to get a grip and saying it is normal was uncalled for!
Good luck ladies !!
ok, so an ex of mine is freaking out about being pregnant. She has the iud that disperses hormones and all of her tests are inconclusive or negative. But she is feeling symptoms and even says she felt baby kicks. (shes been pregnant before so hse knows what it feels like.) She has to wait another couple of weeks before she gets into the doc. Im kind of stressed and want to know what i should think.
hello ladies. I have had my IUD in since feb this year. my period has been so heavy and everything seems to be okay till last night. throwing up, dizziness, bad taste in mouth and extremely weak. i just had a baby in dec 2008 and i am so scared to even take a pregnancy test but after reading everyones post i might just wait and see cos honestly i CANNOT afford to have any more kids right now maybe another 4 years or so
I would recommend waiting to see what the doc says before you start really stressing. There are a lot of side effects from the mirena iud, and many of them are not on their side effect list. There is always a chance that she could be pregnant, but there are also a lot of women posting on here that are in similar situations. Most of the women who post never post updates on their situations, so it is hard to tell if they are symptoms of the iud or if they actually were pregnant. I have an iud, and what I did not know when I got it was that you do not stop ovulating, but the mirena is supposed to stop the sperm from fertalizing the egg by blocking the tubes, and if the egg does get fertilazed, the mirena is supposed to make the uterus lining minimal so that the egg cannot attach. Many doctors will not give the mirena because they feel that it is like having an abortion every month. Many women do stop ovulating after having the iud for a year, but some women ovulate the entire time they have the mirena. Some women do get pregnant in-utero with the mirena, and many have miscarrages when the doctors remove it. However, some doctors decide not to remove the mirena and women have had prefectly healthy babies.

I do not know your ex, but I would make sure to see the doctors test that confirms pregnancy (if she is), so that you know that she is telling the truth and not just trying to get you back. It can happen, but if she is, she will be high risk and may lose the baby beause of the mirena. Good luck! Hope this post helps.

Also, I have heard that the mirena can make pregnancy tests come back negative or inconclusive when they should be positive because of the hormone that the iud gives off. However, if she gets a positive she should go to the er or call the doc right away because they need to check and make sure that it is not tubal.
I'm so glad I found this thread and that I'm not completely insane.

To gynyoda:
Please keep in mind that most of women who are posting *have* been pregnant, we know the difference between PMS and pregnancy.  My own personal experience has been this...

I've had Mirena for 4 years, basically no problems whatsoever, continued to have a light and easy period the entire time, that is until recently.  In the last 6 months I've started to have really irregular cycles and strange discharge and cramping.  I've been to the obgyn several times, I've been told time and time again that it is "probably" due to cysts and not the IUD.

Now I'm on month two of no period at all.  In the past three weeks I've experienced a tremendous amount of weight gain, bloating, cravings, weakness.  About a week ago I passed out-this has only happened *one* other time in my life- when i was pregnant with my son.  And now I have horrible nausea and queeziness on a daily basis.  I've been negative on two tests.  Have no idea what the heck is going on.  And I too am nervous about going back to obgyn because he seems to think i'm exaggerating.  But REALLY REALLY this is abnormal, certainly abnormal for ME.  

I don't understand why any of this would start 4 yrs into the Mirena, you'd think it would have started earlier.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone... I think I may go ahead and have it removed, it doesn't seem like its worth it.
Ok, so I have read all of the comments by everyone and only a few have actually confirmed anything. I am on the mirena & having pregnancy symptoms too, and my breasts are leaking. If these really are symptoms of having the mirena, they should really do more research and warn women before they decide to have it inserted because this is ridiculous. I have twin 21 month olds and a 4 month old..trust me I have not forgotten what it feels like to be pregnant, and this is it! I'm thinking about trying to get in touch with the research and development department or something because I have read several different posts about this, and they all have one thing in common. No one was fully informed about what exactly mirena does to your body, and I'm sorry, "I don't know" is not a good enough answer! The doctors make it seem like it's no big deal, and all roses and sunshine, and that is just BS!  I really don't think they did enough research before just giving this birth control to anyone. The only requirement is you have to have a child. Past that, they didn't even ask any questions! He just said, ok let's do it. I'm not getting my hair cut here, this is my body and my health, and anything that can mess with it like this shouldn't be taken lightly.
i to have had my mirena in for 4 years. i just within the past few months have dealt with weight gain, tiredness, nesting issues, swollen breasts, ect...i honestly think if you feel you may be pregnant call and make an appt as soon as you can. if the doctor dismisses what you feel, which any good doctor shouldn't, as for an ultrasound. if you are concerned enough about your health the doctor will do it. as far as discharge from your breast. if your significant other ***** on them long enough you may start to lactate. but like i said...if you seriously think you are, may be pregnant...ask your doctor for an appointment. and i do agree with other posts...because not many are updating what happened when they had the ultrasounds, it's very hard to determine what the outcome is. and bear in mind ladies...there is always the potential to get pregnant while being on any birth control and only a few out of millions of users of IUD's post here. So while we all may or may not be having issues with the IUD's we may be in the minority of IUD users who may not have any of these symptoms.
I am 21, and i have had my iud for about 1 yr now. I loved it all up until this last month. Well actually a few months ago i had cramps so bad they felt almost like contractions, or a misscarriage. (i have 2 children already)- a 4 1/2yr old and a 18 mo old. But for a few weeks now i haven't been able to feel the strings and neither has my partner (which he usually can). I went to the doc this past wk n well she couldn't find my strings..... :( She said it was probably due to my cervix n everything being swollen because my body was trying to start my period. (which i still havent started this month) i was supposed to start around the 16th and didn't. I had a really messed up whacky period last month. Well now my doc wants to do a sonogram to find out if my iud is still in there n where it is if it is. She said if its not there then it came out of me..... wouldn't i have felt it? or seen it? anyways- i have been cramping so bad its making me cry. i can't sit in a weird position, stand for a long time, even when i just walk sometimes it hurts, also when i lean up against my dresser to do my hair with my arms up that hurts really bad i start to cramp. I told my ob that and she said the reason i am cramping is probably because it has moved.... where did it move to? i thought i was pregnant b4 i went to the doctor last week. all i could think about was my iud came out and im pregnant. Well they gave me a p test last wk n it was neg so... im not then right? But i have had a major loss of appetite alot of things i did with my other children when i was preg w/ them, i am doing now. But, the test said no! now i have to wait to see the doc because i don't have insurance and can't afford all these things my ob is wanting to do because of a birth control that she put it. and actually when she put it in i had it for about a month, if even that, i went in b/c the strings were horribly poking me and my partner so she went in and cut the strings and when she did she accidentally pulled it out so she had to put another 1 in. Gosh i had just went through the pain of getting that sucker in (which wasnt fun), but i really thought it would be worth it. i'm down to the point that if they find it when i go back in i want it OUT! and i am gonna research a little on the birth control- implant that goes in your arm.
i am haveing the same symtoms (symptoms) as everyone else but the only differents is that i haven't had my period in 2 1/2 months and i am having very bad pains in my uteris and overies even ehat i have sex,... god i hope the doc can fix me b/c i have a 10months old son...
So, I got my Mirena IUD April 14th, 2009.  Its only been 2 months and just this past month its CRAZY!  I did call hubby to bring home a home preg. test because I'm freaking out.  

For about 2 weeks, my LOWER BACK KILLS ME, my breasts are SO tender and sore, I'm bloated, cramping, tired and my mood swings are BAD!  

We get these things put in us to prevent these things and here we all are, wondering if we're pregnant.  

I have a 4 year old, twin 2 year old girls and a 4 month old...I don't need another ANYTIME soon!!  

I haven't read through all these posts, but I haven't read one where someone came back saying they are knocked up.  

I'll get back on to let you know how my test came out!
I am having the same problems as everyone else and I am going in to the E.R tomorrow to figure out whats wrong with me, I have had the IUD mirena for 2 years and my period has always been regular even with the IUD my symptoms now are
* one month late (never been late before)
* vaginal whiteish clear discharge
* My breast are sore and hurt
* I feel fatigue but just my belly
* weird movement in my belly
* When I try to feel my string I dont feel it like normal I feel something different.
Same basic thing as everyone has said but with one difference.  I do still get my period (after having it for over 2 years) and it is lighter than normal.  I got my period on time and had all the normal Premenstrual signs that WENT AWAY when my period ended about a week later they are back as well as others.  My boobs hurt, I am nauseous, tired, cramping and my gums bled for the first time brushing my teeth since when I was pregnant with my daughter.  

I am just so frustrated as to what is happening to my own body.  I took a HPT and it was negative and I called my OB and talked to the nurse who said she talked to the Dr.  Her answer wa contradictory, first she said they are side effects from the IUD and then she turns around and saus "well the Mirena shouldn't be causing those problems".  It sounds like they don't even know.

I am to go in for a blood test for a couple hours that I am sure will be negative (doing it for peace of mind) but I am contemplating having mine out if it is going to do these things to my body.
Alright my blood test came back negative thank goodness but now to figure out what is causing all of these symptoms and what is wrong with me!
Hello everyone. I am happy to hear that you are all having the same exact symptoms as I am, because I feel like I have been going crazy, lol. I know it ***** and I feel bad for anyone who is feeling the ways I am, but at least I know I am not alone. I have had the Mirana IUD in for about a year and a half, after I had a miscaraige. I have two amazing little girls and after going through an awful tragitiy of loosing my baby and almost my own life I wanted a quick fix of not getting prego again. Lately I have been feeling extremely fatigue, headaches, lower back and abdominal pain, sore breast and so on. I haven't ever been able to feel the strings, and when I had an ultrasound about six months ago it showed the IUD still being there. Only no one ever contacted me back to let me know if the missing strings were a problem or not. I don't know but this things is driving me nuts! I hope everthing works out for all of you. I plan on getting this thing taken out as soon as I can though.
Thanks for you time and postings!
I would advise everyone to google and do some research on many sites as well as the company from which the IUD came from.  Many of your symptoms are characteristic of PMS and Pregnancy.  In addition, they can be symptoms of other issues as well.  Talking to your doctor is best advise since they I would assume know your history.  This comes from a girl with child, and have had my period every other week lasting 10-15 days at a time since Jan 08.  Periods and foreign objects operate different with each body. And stressing out....WON'T HELP!!! :) Relax, eat a good diet, mental health....extremely important and the guidance of an educated doctor....equals success for an IUD.  
As for those that were insulted by Gyn's comment, I don't think it was to upset anyone, just getting you to focus and relax...these are common issues and as any and MY doctor says, you are all unique!!  I had a cyst return 4 times and my doctor's practice together have only seen it return once from another patient.  We are all different and your body reacts to YOU!!!!  Relax and enjoy life stresslessly :)
Um. i don't know if this will help but.. I had the paragaurd for about 3 years from 2005-2008. I got it taken out in 2008 because it was so painful and almost piercing my cervix. The ob said it's bc I didn't have any children and my body was trying to expel it. So after I got it taken out I was on the pill, religiously, then about two months later I found out I was almost two month pregnant. I have had my son since, he's about six months now and I got another paragaurd in about two months ago. I am having all of the pregnancy symptoms but I am sure that I'm not, we'll see how it goes anyway. I am anemic because of intense periods, which aren't really painful at all, just immense bleeding and exhaustion. I might have to get it taken out in a month or so if my body doesn't regulate itself. :[ I'm breastfeeding and tried the pill after the baby was born but it really affected my milk supply. I love spending 'quality time' with my hubb and don't want to have to damper that with a condom, gross.! and i experienced an allergic reaction with the nuva ring! what are my options??
However, one of my very close friends got the Mirena, had it for about six months and got it removed because she was having all of the s/s that are described in the majority of the posts and when it was removed, she wasn't pregnant. She took umteen tests which all came back negative as well as a couple blood tests. She lost about 5 pounds within a week just from water weight apparently. The breast tenderness and back pain went away with the vertigo, she is now on the pill again. Hope it helped....
i have had the mirena now for 3 1/2 yrs. i havent had any problems with it til now. for the past 2 weeks i have had extremely sore and tender breasts and nipples, and slight cramping in the bottom part of my stomach. i have always had irregular periods and so i wasnt surprised when i didnt have one back in july. i had one for june skipped july and last month in august on the 14th i woke up, went to pee ( like always) and i was bleedin but not like normal it was very light and i had no crampin like my regular periods. well by the end of the day i had stopped bleedin. and now im havin tightness and swellin in my breasts and lower part of my stomach, and im nervous but i seriously think i might be pregnant. im going to the doc. on the 18th. and if i am i will definitely let you all know.
I truly believe we need to have a class action lawsuit against Mirena for not listing all these adverse effects.  Who knows what other long-term effects it might have.  The doctors are useless too.  We can't go after the doctors together but we can go after Mirena as a group.  Just from this post alone, there are 71 replies, and this is only one posting.  There are many more just like it on other sites.  If you ladies know any medical lawyers or is one please look in to this.  I'll be happy to tell my story in court.      
I've had the same symptoms as most of you in the last two weeks.  I've had the Mirena in for about 15 months.  I have had regular cycles during this 15 month period till I missed a period two weeks ago.  I've had dizziness, fatigue, increase in appetite and VERY sensitive breast.  I have two children 7 and 9 so I know what being prego feels like.  It doesn't not feel like PMS.  I have not felt like this for the last 15 months, therefore don't believe it could all of the sudden be PMS symptoms.  I have taken a pregnancy test which came out negative and will take another tonight.  Reading this blog has been very helpful but also very bothersome.  Some women have actually been pregnant with negative home and blood test.  This scares me for many reason, how does the IUD affect the unborn child? how does it affect the pregnant mother?  The stress of not knowing whether your pregnant or not while on birth control is mentally stressful enough, seeing that we are all birth control for a reason.  I just got remarried about a month ago and would love to have child with this wonderful man I married... but don't want to be prego with an IUD in me.  It can't be safe for anyone, mother or baby.  I'm having mine removed whether I'm prego or not.  I feel irresponsible for not reading blogs like this before having my IUD put in.  
Also, I have heard that the "kicking" / "bubbles" some of you are feeling in your stomach could be gas related.  TMI - I know!!!  I just thought I would share that bit of info.  
Good Luck to everyone.. I know I will need it as well !!  
I have had the mirena for about 4 months. I read up a lot on the mirena because I do get all of the symptoms of pregnancy. I just took a hpg today, negative. But I also read something interesting. I read that the mirena is there to fool your body that you are preggo. Every month you'll get pregnancy symptoms but will go away. Now, the only thing I am wondering, is why my stomach has been bulging out as if I was 4 months preggo already? I am confused to a point, because I know pregnancy can not be this common with the mirena, but I just like to know why this is happening and why no one seems to get the answer they are looking for. Maybe the mirena is too new, and we are the experiment for the doctors.
Have we all heard of hormones????? I mean they are 9/10 times the cause of ALL of your complaints.
as 2 people that are in the medical field,we advise you to get educated before you insert an object into you. MOST of these symptoms that everyone is talking about is advised in the pamphlet oh and the commercial.
you dont take a pill without reading the directions, side affects or the dosage right? why have this inserted without fully understanding the common side affects?

I never saw any mention of symptoms like pregnancy in the information I was given about Mirena.  PMS symptoms are one thing and pregnancy symptoms are quite another.  You obviously don't have any children or you would be able to tell the difference.  The mild breast soreness mentioned in the information was nothing compared to the DO NOT TOUCH MY BOOBS I was feeling.  All my hormone tests came back normal by the way.  NOTHING was elevated or below what it should be.  So how do you explain that?  Call my obgyn when you figure it our because she couldn't!  We are all here to support each other not make each other feel stupid.  Didn't you ever learn that if you don't have anything nice to say you shouldn't say anything at all!!!  
hey girls i've had my Mirena for about 15 months and I like everyone else have been having pregnancy symptoms! I always get my period the same time every month and it always lasts the same amount of time, but last month my period was super light and didn't last long at all and not to mention was at the wrong time of month! I just took a hpt last week and mine also came back negative.  I've been super tired, boobs are hurting, back aches, eating alot, weight gain! i'm freaking out......i have a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old. I was hoping reading this would help me but its kind of freaking me out even more! I just want to know how all those ultrasounds came back......was anybody actually pregnant???
Wow, I agree this is a forum for people to talk and hear others experiences or whatever it may be; so please calm down...
My experience...
I got the IUD 6 weeks after my daughter in 2006; I've loved every part of it and haven't had any problems except for the normal PMS stuff (cramping, moodyness, cravings, etc.) My period has been very light (which i love)ever since i got the IUD but for the last 3 months its been late, and in november i didn't even get it.. Now all the sudden my boobs are really sore, which i never had before? Do you guys think its normal to all sudden get new symtoms (symptoms) of PMS if i never had them before? Last month i took a test after i didnt get my period and it was negative? Idk, maybe ill take another or maybe this is just all common? Uhh...
I AM GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING AS EVERYONE ELSE. I AM TWO WEEKS LATE AND I FEEL LIKE I AM PREGNANT FOR THE LAST 3 WEEKS. I HAVE A 16 MONTH AT HOME. WHAT HAS BEEN THE FINDINGS WHEN YOU WENT TO THE DOCTORS? WAS ANYONE PREGNANT. I CALLED MY DOCTOR TODAY, BUT THE TWO TEST I TOOK WERE NEGATIVE.
im super surprised that so many people r having the exact same symptoms, it gives me hope to some extent that i am not pregnant, but people i promise you that i am making a mental note as i write to come back and give a detailed explanation of my ultrasound because so far i have yet to read the results of an ultrasound and in the future if someone is as stressed out as i am right now, i know they would like the results of it. im telling myself that everyone else was so releived that they were not pregnant that they forgot about the website rather than they are so upset about it that they dont even want to share the pain.
well here is my story i have an 18 month old and a 6 month old so you know im not looking for another baby. i had the mirena inserted about about 4 months ago and ive had nausea several times a month.everytime i call to make an appointment the nurse says its just the side effect of the iud. of course that does not really make me feel comfortable but i accept it. lately ive been feeling what feels like the flutters of a baby just before the kicking stages and no nurse is goin to talk me out of getting a full check up. i did four home pregnancy test (all negative) and they did one at the clinic- it to was neg. but i guess the doctor saw that i was not leaving untill i got results that she gave me a referral to see an obgyn. my appt is monday. the iud is still in place but at least if i feel that way again i wont get panic attacks and at the same time readers can know its a common side effect of the iud. i sure wish some of those ppl who felt the flutters and took the ultrasound had come back with the ultrasound results. it sure would have calmed me down some. lol
I have the mirena iud and i have just recently started lactating.... is there anyone else that has had this same symptom???
I also have been having that pregnancy feeling and most of the symptoms described on this page but nobodys mentioned lactating as one of their symptoms. I have not had a baby so I dont see why I would be lactating unless I was pregnant.
Once again I will say that all my tests came back negative that the doctor proved I was NOT pregnant.  Another word of caution however, after my symptoms I got the IUD removed immediately!  My period since have gone crazy, totally irregular.  Now that we are trying for another baby, its not happening.  I am not sure if I am ovulating or not.  My cycles are crazy and my pms is the worst I have ever had it.  I am 26 btw.  Occasioanlly I am still having pregnancy symptoms with my pms.  So once again I am a pregnancy test buyer.  I totally encourage all you ladies to get your IUDs taken out NOW and get on some other birth control.  It was horrible on the IUD thinking I was pregnant and now it is horrible trying to get pregnant!  Lets all keep our spirits up and be thankful that we all have each other to compare our experiences.  Good luck to all!  By the way thrm I never lactated!  I really do think you should see your doctor!
Hey ladies:

Here is my story, im 21 and i have a one year old.I had my IUD (mirena) put in 4 months ago, and no i have not had a period at all. some light spotting for a day or so each month  usually nothing i can really see. Well a few weeks ago i had read that this lady puller her iud out so when i went to check mine i pulled to see how long my strings were and to see how in the world that lady did it.! well i didnt pull hard at all. to afraid it would come out. It has been 2 weeks like i said and this past week oh my gosh.(mind you i have not had any symptoms at all of pregnancy) and now my breast are super tender my nipples are killing me. my once size G bra that i wore just last week now my breast are spilling over like crazy! ive been tired  a little bit more then normal. and sick after eating. i know i know everyone has these symptoms.  but being as i did pull on my iud strings slightly im wondering if i might have pulled it a little harder then what i was going for. im not really that worred persay. being my fiance  and i were getting it out this wend. for baby planning i will repost wend. best of luck ladies=)
hey everyone, its me coming back with my report just as i said i would. so i went to an OBGYN today and at first i got the feeling that he to was trying to blow me off but i had to remind him that he was only going to get paid if i recieved an ultrasound. he did one and told me that the only thing in my uterus was the iud and its in place. hooray! anyway afterwards he told me that the IUD kinda tricks the body into not releasing an egg, hence the body give those symptoms as a response. he didnt have an answer for the flutters but the nausea, tender breast, tiredness ect he said was definitely the iud. also he said that home pregnancy tests are very effective and i did not have to take 4. so this blog is coming from someone who went through your same dilema, dont get me wrong, by all means go get checked out but while you wait this is just to calm and comfort you somewhat.  
i am having the same problems as everyone but i was also on the hcg diet whe i might have gotten prego. i guess my biggest worry is i have a frine at school who had one baby while she had her IUD and is now prego with another and the more i research the more i worry about what dr.s are having us put into our bodies i would really like to know how many of you have actually had pos. results my friend had 4-5 neg. home test 1 neg blood test went in for her oultrasound and found out she as 4 months prego... so now i really don't know what to do i have no ins and can't afford to go have a bunch of test run please le me know what you have found out and how you got your answers.
I had my mirena placed in Oct 2007 after i gave birth to my daughter. My periods have been regular for about a year now and i have not gotten my period yet this month. Now i am leaking clear fluid out of my breast i did not breast feed with her so my breast have been dried up for the last 2 years is this a normal side effect?
I am having all the smae symtoms (symptoms) and i got 2 negitives in one week. I got one more cause but this time I was about 2 weeks late. I have the copper IUD and I took the 3rd test and thought it was also negitive but left it on the back of the toilet and came back a few hours later and lo and behold There was a faint possitive line. Hmm.. So I took another test in the morn (so the hcg is higher) And again I got a faint (slightly darker) possitive line. I go to the doctor on thurs, I'll let you guyz know!
I have had the Mirena x 11 months with a period every 28days til a couple months ago.  My period was unusually light in sept n I never got one in oct...now its november and I have been craving soup, sleeping constantly, weird discharge n cramping.  I had breast implants 3 month ago n the Dr. cant understand why Im still having pain. Im an ultrasound tech but, unfortunately, not working right now.  I have no insurance and cant afford to go to OB.  I feel so much better after reading all this that most people are having the same symptoms.  I hope that this is just the IUD playing tricks on us!
I FEEL ALL SYMPTOMS AND MY DOC TELL ME I HAVE TO WAIT MY PERIOD CAME LAST MONTH AND THE NEXT MONTH I WAS SPOTTING THIS FOR 5 DAYS ONLY VERY LITE AND I AM WORRY CAUSE I HAVE A 7YEAR OLD AND 3YEARS OLD AND 1YEARS OLD PLEASE HELP ME GIRL  
I am glad to know I am not alone.  
Every since my daughter was born 13 yrs ago I have had either the Depo Pravar shot or the Mirena IUD.  My 1st Mirena was placed in 2001 and then replaced in 2006 with another.  I no longer have a peiord at all.  The past 2 wks I have felt pregant, tender breasts, lower back pain, dark hair line up my belly, my stomach at times is hard and I general just think I am pregant.  I even asked my husband if he thought there were black and blue marks on my Areola when I got out of the shower this morning and he said "yes, maybe you are pregant" I just laughed about it and say yeah right with two teenagers 15 & 13...but the truth is I am begining to believe it and kind of actually want it to be true.  
So after 13 yrs (8 on Mirena IUD) my hormones are just going crazy?  These feelings have not happen before
Dear ladies.
A few months ago I read up on this post because I was going thrue alot of the symptoms you all was having.
I am responding now to the insensitive so called DR that responded to this post about "reading the pamplet or nt knowing the difference between PMS and being pregnant.. and here is all I have to say.

If you were so good at your job you wouldnt need to waist your time popping on to this post and making us frustrated moms feel even more worthless, or crazy in the head then we already feel about all this.
Because if your statements where so right... we wouldnt be posting.
I am a mother of 2 and had the I.U.D for a year until i started to notice ALL the prego signs aswell and EVERY test came up negative and doctors constantly told me to relax and all was normal till I mamnaged to get one to perform an ultra sound on me ... BAMN!! low and behold... I WAS PREGNANT.
So ladies your instincts is their for a reason and all i can say is fight for your right and what you believe in... the only thing 100% when it comes to birth control is n sex at all, so there is a possibility in everything.
I wish you all luck, and for all the Negative posts, take your anger out somewhere else, not on a sight where people look to for answers or a little hope!!
i have mirena since nov. 2008..at beginning my period would come normally now its not...i felt pregnant in april, weight gain weird food cravings...now my last lmp was nov. 26, sex dec4, and ovulation 7-12...since in abdomen discomfort, white discharge, craving chicken and turkey, extremely tired, hard time sleeping at nite, frequent bathroom breaks even at nite, back pain, yest. it felt like something was kicking me/moving, i did have darkening and bigger areolas, negative test..what do you think
I have had my IUD since Feb 07 and have never really worried about pregnancy until this month. I have an 8 year old son and remember my moo swings with him.....they're back!  I'm not a crier...been sobbing like a baby. My boyfriend had an incident last week in which I found myself bleeding during intercourse. I haven't had a normal cycle in two months and am starting to get nervous. Not just about pregnancy but worried that ther may besomething wrong. Last month before I cycled, my right breast hurt so bad and I've gained 5 pounds. I think I should make an appointment with my ob/gyn and get it checked out even though I was thre for my annual about three months ago and everything was A okay. I'm freaking out about all of this crap and I have enough to worry about and feel for all you ladies experiencing all these symptoms..... wish me luck and take care ladies....
Worried Momma
I am 33 and experiencing many of these same symptoms. I've had the mirena in for 3 years and have not had a period in over 2 years. I am worried that I could be pregnant, as I have gained weight and my abdomen looks as though I am about 4 months pregnant. I am also experiencing fatigue, nausea, frequent urination, sore breasts and what feels like movement in my stomach. I already have three children, so I know what to expect from pregnancy, and it all points to being pregnant. I have taken home pregnancy tests and had them come back negative, but I also had issues with my hormone levels not being what they should be during my last pregnancy, so I am wondering if this could be a factor this time. Anyone have any suggestions?
I agree with everyone that has said that this is a place to post vents and concerns, not to judge others for being a little worried. I have had two beautiful girls and have had the Mirana twice (once for a year and again for almost two years). I am having the same symptoms that I had when pregnant and I know that it is not normal. I have taken two tests with faint positive lines, so I know I am not crazy! So if you are here to call us all paranoid or to tell us that this is "normal" then get off this post because this is not the place for you. The women on this post are among friends and if you are going to judge, then judge somewhere else!!!

And to all the women that ARE NOT crazy, the best of luck to all of you and I will post my Dr. results as soon as I get them.
I am 29 years old I have one little girl that is almost 4. I have had the IUD (merinia) since Aug 2007, since the first month after having it put in I had no period. I also have never had it checked (lost my insurance and haven't been able to get any since then) I noticed in early 2008 my strings disaperared, heard this was normal and tried to not worry about it. since October 2009 I have gone up 3 pant sizes and have felt movement in my stomach. When I got pregant with my daughter I had my AF for the first 4 months I was almost 5 months along before I new I was prego. I am having the same symptoms I had while prego in the very begining with her. but I have no AF to go by it has been several years since I had one. My breast have been sore since I had my daughter and I have had weight gain, don't want certian foods that I used to eat all the time. SO I called my doctor and wanted to get my IUD checked and the nurse I was speaking to when I told her I feel like I am prego even though I know it sounds crazy laughed and said yes but getting prego with the IUD does happen. which scarred me even more. My husband was an IUD baby his mother had had the IUD for several years when she found out she was prego with him. I got to the doctor tommorrow (Jan 13th 2010) morning and when I get back home I will let everyone know what my doctor says...wish me luck....
Up until a half hour ago I was almost having a panic attack at the thought of being pregnant. I have all the symptoms; sore breasts, dizziness, bloating, skipped period etc... and a negative pregnancy test. My mirena was placed last August.
After reading all your posts, i'm starting to believe maybe none of us is actually pregnant, and maybe these are just symptoms of the fabulous mirena.
Honestly, we all couldnt have had negative preg tests and blood tests, it just wouldnt happen.

Not only is it 99.7% effective, my boyfriend NEVER ejaculates inside of me, as i'm so paranoid about pregnancy. So i'm having a hard time understanding what is happening to my body.

I'm also much younger than everyone else on this board, so a pregnancy would be the end of the world to me.

Is the removal of the mirena painful? This is too much stress for me..
Okay so I went to my doctor and I am NOT pregnant. They couldn't find my IUD and had to do an internal ultrasound, they found it in place where it should be the whole string had just gone up inside. The hormone build up over the years and it is realeasing more hormones than it should is what caused me to have the symptoms I was having.  I am going to have the IUD removed and go back to the BC pill. Good luck to everyone else here.
I have had the Paraguard IUD for nearly a year and I chose Paraguard because I was instructed by my doctor that it has far fewer side effects than the hormonal Mirena IUD.  The added hormones in Mirena can lead to weight gain, swollen breasts, missed periods, etc.  I love Paraguard.  My only symptoms are slightly heavier, crampier periods than before.  Hope you can get it all worked out!  Switch to Paraguard. The periods are kindof a pain (literally) but the non-hormonal option is a nice alternative.
Hi Ladies... I am having thee same exact symptoms as most of you. ive had my mirena in for 2 years and the symtoms (symptoms) are killing me! I have tried about 6 tests and theyve all come up negative. i have a doctors appt in feb the quickest date i could find. i feel like im going insane. and to top the cake my sister in law had the copper iud and just found out she is 6 weeks pregnant with TWINS! and the iud was in its right place. This is ridiculous, I think its making me feel even worse about having it myself. I cant wait to go to the doctor im taking it OUT preggo or NOT. somebody should sue... 99.9% effective my a**
Well this posting has made me feel a little better. I too am having all the same symptoms. I had the IUD for a year after my son was born and had it removed to get pregnant with my daughter. I got the IUD back about 3 months ago, I have always had some form of period on the IUD and I haven't had anything for 2 1/2 months, I just called my doctor to see what the heck is going on cause this is driving me insane and they are sending me for a blood test today. I too am going to get the IUD removed pregnant or not cause this is stupid. Thanks for posting ladies it is nice to know I am not the ONLY woman in the world experiencing these symptoms.
I'm so nervous. I mean, they call me fertile mertile. But my period is not here and I have the paraguard in. I can feel the string and everything. Sometimes when I go to the bathroom there is a light pinkish stain but nothing more. My breasts are killing me and my husbands thinks I'm crazy. Well he didn't say that but I think I'm crazy. I took a pregnancy test and it was negative.
So all you ladies who took pregnancy tests that were negative, but you were in fact pregnant, what did your doctor say about the tests being negative?
I have to say, this is just terrible.  After I had my first daughter I got an IUD put in place.  It hurt like hell and then I bled everyday for months.  When the bleeding stopped I of course freaked because prego symptoms started up.  I wasnt scared of being prego just getting prego with an IUD and having an eptopic pregnancy.  Well I wasnt, but I decided this wasnt for me so I got the thing removed and went back to the pill.  The pill makes me feel like I have more control over the situation and if an accident does happen at least its not life threatening.  Now my sister is going through the same thing and I found this site for her.  I think this is an awful form of BC and I am so sorry so many of you are going though this.  Yes listen to your body, and if it causes you too much stress then get it out . . . it's just not worth it.  The point of BC is to not spend each month worrying about getting prego.  I know the pill is a pain, but at least its consistent.  It makes me glad to know that it wasnt just me who experienced this but it upsets me that this is so common and Dr's just dismiss it.  
I am 20 years old.  About 8 months ago, after being on the Nuvaring for three years I found out that I was 2 months pregnant.  Unfortunately I also found out I had a blood clot from my ankle to my mid-thigh in one leg and that I had a blood-clotting condition and that I would have to abort.  I went off of birth control completely and remained abstinent for a few months while I healed.

About six months ago I decided to go on the Mirena IUD because I have always had problems with heavy periods and severe cramping and PMS.  The insertion was so incredibly painful that I just sat on my couch doubled over in pain for over a week.  After that I began to feel "normal."  About three months ago I awoke screaming in pain and went immediately to my Gyno.  After two ultrasounds (and a negative pregnancy test)  they determined I had a hemorrhagic ovarian cyst that ruptured into my fallopian tube.  The pain was from my tube being extremely full of blood and it was about four times the size it should have been.  After that things seemed to get better and my cycle normalized.

Unfortunately I have now not had my period since the beginning of December, and I am now starting to experience all of the symptoms I had the last time I was pregnant and insisted that "there is no way I can be pregnant I'm on birth control".  Not only do I not want a child right now, but pregnancy can be dangerous for someone like me who develops blood clots randomly.  I have had extreme morning sickness (but everyone who has it knows you feel sick all the time!), my breasts have gotten bigger, and very firm, weight gain I get hot flashes, and migraines so intense I can feel my heartbeat in my head.  I even had someone told me I was "glowing," not what I wanted to hear.

I know loosing your period on Mirena is not unusual, but all of the info that I read says after a year and I am only approaching six months!  I am so nervous like the rest of you that I made an appointment to go to the doctor tomorrow.  I am going to get to the bottom of the problem be it pregnancy, the IUD, the progesterone, or something else.  I will let you know how it goes!

Just got back from the doctor.  She was really thorough.  First I had a pregnancy test it was negative.  Second, I had a pelvic exam - normal.  Then I had a pelvic ultrasound.  Because of a cyst I had on my ovary (caused by the progesterone) she thinks my one fallopian tube is still very full of blood from a couple months ago and may need to be removed.  I go back to get a thorough ultrasound tomorrow morning.

The cramps and pains I have felt in my lower abdomen are explained by that.

Unfortunately all of the other symptoms are from the progesterone, apparently my mother had a similar reaction to it when she was younger.  Some people are just more sensitive to it than others.  My doctor suggested that I get it removed right then but since my only other alternatives are the copper IUD or my boyfriend getting a visectemy, I've decided to leave it in for the time being.

Good luck to you all.  Remember to follow your instincts and press on your doctor until you get to the source of the problem.

Gee. Thanks for the replies! NOT! No support in this group.
I have had the copper IUD Since july 09. The insertion of the IUD wasnst as pain full but my period was out of control and so were the cramps. the copper IUD is great. it doesnt mess with your hormones and it doesnt cause me more migrains than i need. My period went back to normal after 2 months.  BUT my period is about a week late and my last period was VERY LIGHT. I took a test and it was - . i guess its too soon to tell. my boobs are sore but they arent any bigger.
I've had Mirena for about 2 years now. I swear every three months or so, I get all of the symptoms of being pregnant. Its really frustrating because I know my husband gets sick of me saying that I feel weird, but this damn thing does it to me! I think I'm going to get it removed, but I wonder if it's all in my head. I think that the idea of tubual pregnancy scares me so if anything feels weird with my tummy my mind races to the first thought which is always pregnancy. My aunt got pregnant with an IUD in place, and didn't find out until she was three months pregnant. She went into the doctors to tell them that she thought the thing had moved  because her stomach hurt, and she discovered she was pregnant. I guess it's good to go with your instincts, but at the same time ask yourself why you jump to the conclusion as well.
I'm sorry I can't be of more help. My girlfriend and I are still trying to figure out her symptoms too. I also made a lengthy comment about the lack of re-postings or results from 99.9% of these women. It was deleted I guess because one of these women took offense and reported it as "not on topic". (Whoever you were, you're a jerk!!) I know I'm a guy, and I can't identify with any of these things that you or any of these other women are feeling. I don't pretend to. In fact, I think my problem is worse in some ways because I have NO symptoms or feelings to go on other than what she tells me she feels. I haven't noticed any weight gain on her, nor her breasts being any larger. But it is HER body and as much as I like to think that I'm pretty familiar with it by now, she knows it better than I do. We, or more correctly, she... has taken 3 OTC urine pregnancy tests now and, of course, all were negative. I have a VERY hard time believing that she's pregnant because in addition to the IUD that she has, I have also had a vasectomy. I already have 2 kids, and she has 1 so regardless of what you may have been thinking earlier when I said "girlfriend", I am not just some punk kid worried about himself instead of his possibly pregnant girlfriend. Additionally, the thought of an ectopic pregnancy scares the Hell out of me! I don't know how I could function if I lost her that way, (guess I ought to "pop the question" already , huh?).
So... ..TO ANYONE WHO HAS ACTUALLY BECOME PREGNANT...........
Please let usamom79 and I know what your Dr. said about the neg (-) pregnancy tests, and how/when you got confirmation. Or... IF YOU WEREN'T PREGNANT....please remember that this is NOT a support group for touchy/feely sappy femine stuff only, it is also supposed to be about INFORMATION.
KUDDOS to "goingnuts856" Only you and maybe 1 more actually followed through with your promise to let us know.
I am trying to be reassuring and stable for "my girl". I want to actually DO something, anything, everything I can to find out FOR SURE what is going on with her. Let's face it, I'm a guy just talking about it WON'T help me (like it does a female), I need to DO something. Both she and I are full time students, I'm living off GI Bill... so I don't have med. insurance and can't go around just throwing money at this thing... I am limited but will do whatever is necessary to find out even if it the only way is an ultrasound. But is that it? Somebody please tell me so I can do the right thing for her within my limited financial ability. This situation really makes me regret ever leaving the military! But then I wouldn't have met her, so...... Here's to praying that was enough "ON TOPIC" for all of you out there and praying again that someone will come back with more real information.
ok so my first post wasnt very clear sorry about that

i have the paragard IUD ( copper)

My last period was very light( 3 days) My period was supposed to come around the 22nd of january but it was comming. i took a home pregnancy test tat was negative so i decided to wait a few more days and went ahead and made an appointment at a free health clinic called New Generation just in case my period still had not come. I never missed a period before so of course i was worried. I went to the clinic on febuary 5th and took a pregnancy test there and the results were POSITIVE!!! the nurses were surprised with the results because this can cause miscarriage etc.  I was sent to general hospital right away to get the IUD taken out. If the IUD is in place while pregnant theres higher risk for miscarriage. The doctors first did an ultra sound to make sure the baby was not outside of the uterus, and also that it was safe to remove the iud without terminating the pregnancy.

sometimes depending on how far along you are the hormones may not be enough for the home pregnancy tests to detect. I am now 5 weeks along and hoping that there is no harm.
I also had the mierna put in late october & I have not had a period ever since! I took a pregnancy test because I feel so pregnant the fatigue, frequent urination, cravings, dizziness it's all there not to mention the wierd feeling inside. But how can the test be negative if it is positive? I have not been able to find the stings & I am very worried!!! I am only 20 with a 5 month daughter! I have had alot of discharge like in my previous pregnancy, swollen tender breast. Not to mention I too just realized that I am producing milk!!! Help me out please I am so lost!!!
A few weeks ago i thought i was crazy!! My merina coil has been in place for 2 yrs this month. I have suffererd all the above symptoms & ignored them as 'just me being silly'. It was only when i thought i could feel slight movement - butterfly like that i did a test (digital) - suprise suprise negative!!! I then forgot about it (as best as i could). The butterfly movement soon turned in to more of a 'wriggle' - not quite kicks & i also noted a dark line appearing at the bottom of my tummy which is quite swollen!! so did another 2 tests standard + or - results i received a very very very faint positive on both. Went to my Dr's he only did a 'tummy' exam & low & behold - PREGNANT he estimates 4-5 month. How did i not notice this i have had 2 pregnancies & 2 children - comp dumbfounded with myself. Dr has not seen this before & is as much clueless as i am - he is making a refferal for further investigations - what they will be is any body's guess!!
I will say to everyone this;
1/ you know your own body
2/don't dismiss your feeling's a silly,
3/ don't let any medical member dismiss your feelings.
Thanks for your stories. I know I can't discount my girlfriend's feelings. Lately she has kinda started to mention the feelings less but I think that may be just the peace of mind she has FINALLY attained from my continued insistance that I believe her and, of course, that I'm not going anywhere regardless of the results. We (she) also have an appointment with a new Ob/Gyn (her last one has retired) set for a couple of weeks from now and a pregnancy test for tomorrow morning (urine not blood but that's all they'll do until the M.D. order's a blood serum test). The long wait was the best they could do for her since she's on medicade. I guess for now that's good enough. Earlier this week she was complaining of pain from her lower left abdomen (not appendix, that's on the right). I think it was probably a cyst on her overy, and could have actually been associated with a menstrual cycle and ovulation because it only lasted about 3 or 4 days (which also rules out ectopic pregnancy). That's the latest from us. Oh, and her string is still in place, cause I could feel it the last time we were together. I still believe that she's not prego, but I also still acknowledge the possibility. I appreciate your updates and stories so far. Please continue to keep us up to date. I will certainly do the same. Here's hoping for good news sometime soon after the test tomorrow. Hope everyone can find some amount of peace during their time of stress.
ive had my iud since march 2008 and i recently have had all the same symptoms not to mention in almost two years my period just stopped coming on this month!!! i took 3 pregnancy tests but i am so scared!! i dont kno wat to do
omg!!! so i could b pregnant?? i have all tham symtoms (symptoms). the butterfly feeling i just had not even to secs ago i took test the 20$ test all neg. but im gettin fat mood swings like crazy eating like i did when i was pregnant with my son and them feelings. i dont know what to do now thats really scary!! i need some help with this if anyone can talk to me and tell me what exactly are the symptoms your having
Well SNAFU.... Billing problems so they wouldnt give my GF a test at all. As time passes though, we are thinking less and less that she is pregnant. Some of the "feelings" still exxist, and we're still planning to go to the M.D. when we get the billing thing figured out. (She refuses to just let me pay, wish I could figure out why!) But at a minimum we are letting some time pass, now about 6 weeks maybe 8 since she had the worse of the symptoms, and that should be long enough for the OTC urine tests to start being very dependable. I gues we'll do another round of those sometime this week. That's our update. This whole thing is probably nothing, especially since in addition to her IUD, I'm "fixed". But her feelings have been Very strong at times, and the possibility Does Exist it is just Extreamily remote. I will continue to make updates periodicly till we actually have a definate answer. The first thing I would tell any of you is to simply relax, because let's be honest... if you are pregnant there isnt much you can do about it. If you're SURE, well... be honest about that too, you're not really sure you just have some "signs" which are suspect at best. Take some time to relax and then make a medical appointment. But if this is a re-occuring problem for you then you may need to make another appointment to get a deffrent form of birthcontrol. The whole idea is to NOT have to worry about it. I'll post again soon. Till then best of luck to everyone< and remember worrying about it isnt gonna do anything but give you an even more upset stomache. Just make an appointment.
I have the copper IUD because I don't like the hormones in BC and Mirena but I have regular periods, I mark them down and now I am three days late. I have had a negative test but I have been tired, sore breasts etc. I have a daughter I know the difference between prego and pms symptoms. I can't believe how many women, just on this page are having problems with the IUD's. I think instead of DR and Gyn's being annoyed or telling women to do the research, THEY should do more research and discuss more things with their patients maybe actually care whats going into people. That includes medications etc. The lack of empathy in the health care system is sad. I have heard only of a hand full of Dr's that are great and take the time. When I go in I feel like it's just so sterile, no conversation just what's your problem here's a prescription for it.... which  9 times out of 10 never get filled. I am going to the doctor and going to push for an ultra sound even if I get another negative. The longer you wait the worse the situation especially if you have an IUD because it can mean tubal pregnancy. Even if it's just hormones or what ever, better safe than sorry and you can say that to your doctor..thats what they get payed $100,000 or more a year for!!!
Hi all!

I've had the Mirena for close to 2 years now. My periods have been erratic at best. Early on after I had my daughter I was adamant that I was pregnant despite a negative urine and blood test. I was certain I could feel the baby moving and it really freaked me out considering how young my baby was. Finally, I demanded an ultrasound to either confirm my suspicions or have the picture of an empty uterus to help me ignore all the symptoms. Ultrasound showed an empty uterus and properly placed Mirena.

However, within the past few weeks I've once again been getting those bizarre pregnancy symptoms that can also be anything else apparently. My biggest concerns are bigger breasts, nausea, and I HATE ketchup and suddenly eat it all the time. With my daughter I suddenly started wanting potato salad which I also used to hate.

I'm trying to be logical about this. Took a hpt last week that was negative, but so hard to tell when the period can be almost nonexistent one month and full blown the next. Also, with my daughter my period didn't stop until I was in my 4th month of pregnancy so I don't really buy missing the period as verification of being or not being pregnant.

oh, one last thing, I have PCOS and got pregnant w/ my daughter while on the Nuvaring. *sighs* I certainly understand the frustration and worry. Since it can happen, it's a valid concern no matter how rare. =)
Hi, I am happy to have come across this site and just decided to repost this on here, instead of retyping it all. I was reading all the way from the beginning, then skipped lots in between..just too much women all with the same issues. I have had my Nova-T copper IUD(canadian kind, but only good for 3-5 years) in for 1 1/2 years now. I have had abnormal periods in the past, but since I had this IUD inserted, I have had a very heavy 7 day period at least every 4 if not 6 weeks when it was late.....but always very very heavy from the IUD. Now concerns have risen, since my last period was in the end of December. I have been waiting patiently, just thinking it will be a little late, but will come shortly. So, in the beginning of this month I had no cramps, but very light spotting for four days and also some dark brown blood at times...very little though. After that it just never came. so I was unsure if to consider that a period or not. Definately not the heavy period I am use to since the time I had the IUD inserted. I have two young boys, 2yrs and 5yrs, so I know spotting can happen when u are pregnant. I have been having sore breasts and eating lots, so just too confused. ON the 18th of this month I went in for my 6 month pap(6 month follow up after having a leep procedure done in August/cutting off bad cervical cells) I told my doctor my conerns, so they just did a urine test and she said it is very odd chances of getting pregnant, almost none. She said to have missed or no periods are normal, but then I told her my IUD was not a Mirena with hormones as I knew she thought mine was. She said the strings I had on this IUD, look like a mirena IUD, so that is why she probably said that..knowing the hormones in the Mirena may cause no periods. I told her( I am in states now by the way), that in Canada the copper IUD is not the same as the one here. She just said the urine test was negative and not to worry. I asked her if I could come in a month. She looked at me annoyed and said if I feel like I want to, but the strings are still there and there is no chances of pregnancy. I am paronoid, esp. in 2003, I had an ectopic pregnancy, but had no IUD at that time. I am so confused and sleepless at nights. I am worried and not sure if I should take her word, or start going out and buying my own pg tests and do every few weeks to make sure till a period returns. It is just too strange. I was thinking, maybe it was just too early and I will for sure rebook an appointment with her in a month to make sure, and ask her to do another pregnancy test or even better, a blood test. I can tell she does not appreciate me telling her what to do, but I feel she just does not take me seriously enough and see the chances are there even if I have an IUD and really thinks I am over board. Has anyone else had a copper IUD, missed a period like me and showed up negative on the urine test? Do you think it may just be too ealry? I will pray, and either way me and my husband will have to deal with it.
I have similar symptoms to when I was pregnant with my daughter six and a half years ago. Many are the same as yours.  I feel a little better with the fact that others are experiencing pretty close to the same thing. Do to the fact that the results of not being safe are horrible (dead fetus, tubals, etc.) I commend everyone for being safe no matter what that other lady earlier says. Wether you're paranoid or not, be safe. This belief has had my husband and I going through a pregnancy test about two to three times a year (we don't really freak so much about it anymore, just get them to be safe.). My IUD is past due for removal, but I still feel the strings and I honestly just haven't had the finances to get it out, yet. There are some concerning differences with this one than the others. I had a spotting day in Jan. (17) and no more. I didn't see anything up with this at first because of my usual abnormalities w/ my period w/ my iud. Then I missed Feb.. I took two tests, both negative. My period still hasn't shown itself, which is odd considering all other times it was just the IUD and a day or two later my paranoia would be made obvious  when my flow came through (next period it would go back to the usual 17). Another difference is the strange shape my stomache is taking on  which is not the same as with my girl but pointing the same direction anyways. The third is the definitive one.... My blood pressure. I have had fluctuating hypertention since 17 (no none knows why) that remained deathly high without medication after the birthing dilemna with my daughter. The only time my blood pressure is normal is on meds or in the first few months of pregnancy. I have not recently been on my meds actually for a couple months due to a move that we were unprepared for and obvious economical issues these days. It has dropped from my last er trip in dec. when it was 236/152 (deadly) to just two points above normal last time I had it checked (not the first reading that got me thinking). I will be getting it checked out by the doc in the next week. I WILL let you know. From my experience I will be honest... I DO NOT recommend any IUD for anyone who does  not have bp problems or others preventing other forms of bc from being effective or safe. Wether or not I'm pregnant this time I will be gettting it removed.  It's not that great at all. I just have it for the obvious reasons listed in the long testimony, which I hope will help you and actually makes me feel a little better myself lolz. God bless. Oh yeah, I still think Jan.'s was from the iud. I'd prolly only be four or five weeks.
The class action law suit is a great idea.   I have had my IUD for over 4 years and I actually think it has been messing with my overall makeup as a woman.  I had morning sickness yesterday and I feel pregnant for probably the 15th time since I have had this thing.   I was "sold" this IUD by a Dr. who was a rep. for  Planned Parenthood NW (and I TRUSTED him unfortunately).  I do not believe people should hide info like some of these people do.  Education is so important on a subject that deals with a woman's body chemistry.  I didn't trust my body before but I do now.  The Mirena is an unhealthy birth control choice for the natural intuitive women in this society.   You can get pregnant.  You just don't stay pregnant.  When I had mine inserted I felt prego a couple of times and shrugged it off.   I had lost 2 beautiful baby girls at the decision making point for this form of birth control.   I'm tired of salesman in the medical industry and also pharmaceuticals.  I am ready to fight back against the people who believe they can play with our minds and hearts.  And if they are so detached they don't realize that is what they are doing.  Then they deserve to be removed from our medical system.
I am having the same symptoms minus the lactating. I always get my period, sometimes it is light and somtimes heavy. I have had two spots of blood in the last two months. I am having craving, movement, pretty much everything. I also had a dream that I found out I was pregnant and had the baby a week later, so that hasme worried. my dreams always come true in one way or another. I don't know what to do, the dr i have is an a**, so I know he wont help. I should try to find another dr and see what is going on.
Hello all,

I have read the comments and I too have had times where I feel PG to the point of testing. I also have tender breast that have a letdown feeling. (Weird.). But what Im most curious about is,  pelvic pain that radiates to ur groin area that increases when walking? I get this every 3 - 4 months. I have gone in and been checked and all is fine. Is this just an unfortunate side effect? do any of you have this?
Hi everyone! Well im having almost all of these symptoms too! have the copper IUD also, This is not the first time i've been suspisious of being pg. I have been feeling sick, Have had really weird craving, And very, very moody, Also lots of cramping in my abdomen, back and pelvis. Help! Any advise? I'm going crazy. I go for a ulra sound tommorow. At a time like this i need someone to talk to. Thanks!
Ive had the copper IUD since march 07 after my second son was born. The IUD sounded to good to be true. Up until this time i have had no problem with it. My period had stayed flawless on time 7 days normal bleeding. Last month when it came around i spotted for like four days. The last time my fiance and i had intercourse which was about a week ago i bleed. I havent had my period this month. Ive been sick throughout the day, been very angry(which is very unlike me)horrible headaches and the pain in my stomach gets so unbearable sometimes that it brings me to tears. After reading all of these post its just makes me more worried. Ive taken a HPT too and it came up negative s well. Im going to try to schedule an appointment for an ultrasound.
and on another note my strings as well  have seem to gone missing.
it also sound like PMDD or polycystic ovarian syndrome or even both i have both of these and it can cause serious problems a stronger birth control can help even everything out again and help get u back to normal so ask your doctor the solution can be very very simple. hope this helps =)
holy man ive went in twice now to find out if i am pregnant or not i have had my IUD the mirena in for about 2 yrs now i do feel some of the symptoms and like the rest ive ignored them because both pregnancy tests came back negative even told the doc that i feel (weird) in my stomache  he ordered an ultrasound  maybe that will determined if im pregnant or not or if its a more serious situation  now ill looks more closely at my body..i had my daughter and my son and both times i knew right away at 4weeks pregnant but maybe this time i relyed on the IUD thinking i cant get pg thanks for your story made me look threw awhole new perspective  
I have been sick for about two weeks.  I have had extreme nausea, some vomiting, soft stool.  I have had my copper iud for many years and never had these symptoms before.  My lower abdomen is cramping (but not like period cramps) and my lower back is killing me.  I am exhausted.  I got my last period in March 2010 and it was normal for me, nothing was out of the ordinary.  Could I be pregnant?  They say those pregnancy tests can't detect the hormone until after a missed period.  I don't want to take one yet, because it hasn't quite been time.  What should I do?  Anyone else experience this?
I just had a mirena put in in Jan 2010, everything was going great until last week. I had a miscarriage before I had it put in. Last week in the middle of the week I had serious pain in the abdominal area with some light brownish discharge. It only lasted 2 days and only when I used the bathroom. This is the same feeling I had had when I learned I was pregnant before my miscarriage. I now have serious nausea in the morning and occasionally vomit, I have headaches, moodiness,back pain, change in appetite,and still some weird pains in my abdomen. I also have diarrhea which was present in my first pregnancy too. I have taken home pregnancy tests and they are neg. Is it
possible that mirena can affect your test results? I really want to have children and kind of hope that I could be pregnant, what's meant to be will be. Could anyone give me some advice . Thanks!!! I should also mention that I have had no bleeding or period since me iud was put in.  
I have the copper IUD for about a year-no extra hormones. This is not the first time since I had it in that I have had pregnancy symptoms. The other times my period came on time but I know my body and think that with the copper in my uterus, the embryo just can't survive. I had my regular period last month, then nothing for about a week. Then I started having a thick mucus discharge with light blood streaks-this lasted for 3 days(implanting?)-then nothing. Now my boobs ache and feel heavy/full, I fall asleep like a narcoleptic (which I only do when pregnant), strong smells bother me, I feel bloated and hungry, and I have to pee all the time(again-normal for me in early preg). I do not doubt that I am carrying a very early stage pregnancy but I also think it will turn out like the other times and that my period will start on time. I do not claim to know anything besides me but maybe early pregnancy loss is what is happening in SOME of these cases as well. I should know by the start of May and will bookmark this site so I can be sure to come back. I will also take a preg test this week. Good luck to all of you and I wish the best outcome for each of you.
I have the copper IUD for about a year-no extra hormones. This is not the first time since I had it in that I have had pregnancy symptoms. The other times my period came on time but I know my body and think that with the copper in my uterus, the embryo just can't survive. I had my regular period last month, then nothing for about a week. Then I started having a thick mucus discharge with light blood streaks-this lasted for 3 days(implanting?)-then nothing. Now my boobs ache and feel heavy/full, I fall asleep like a narcoleptic (which I only do when pregnant), strong smells bother me, I feel bloated and hungry, and I have to pee all the time(again-normal for me in early preg). I do not doubt that I am carrying a very early stage pregnancy but I also think it will turn out like the other times and that my period will start on time. I do not claim to know anything besides me but maybe early pregnancy loss is what is happening in SOME of these cases as well. I should know by the start of May and will bookmark this site so I can be sure to come back. I will also take a preg test this week. Good luck to all of you and I wish the best outcome for each of you.(sorry if this reposts)
I have a copper IUD and I have had it for about a year and a half now. My period is always like clockwork. But my last period was supposed to start six days ago. I have the EXACT symptoms of mamacita..the blood tinged discharge and everything. I did take a test that came back POSITIVE. But I know they say you cannot have a false positive but I am not convinced since I also had two negatives. I went had a blood test this morning and I will know the results tomorrow. I will let you all know.
I know a friend that has the Mirena IUD and she said she had a recent pregnancy scare. She has had it for almost the full 5 years now. She said she took 6 at home tests and they all came back positive. She had blood work done which showed she was NOT pregnant. So I guess there can also be a lot of false positives as well.
I have had my Mirana for almost seven months now. I got a regular period for the first three months skiped one spotted for tendays, lightly enought to need nothing more than a panty liner. Now I havent had one since. On top of that I now have the mood swings, tender boobs, feeling of vomiting, weird cravings, tenderness in my lower abs, as well as pressure and the frequent urination. Oddly enough I have taken 4 pregnancy test and they all say negative. I also feel the fluttering like i did with both my sons. I made an appointment on May 7th to talk to my doctor. Am I crazy, could I be pregnany or is it my hormones???
UPDATE
Well after a home pregnancy test that came back positive...I took a blood test and it was negative. My period is approximately ten days late. This is just not normal for me and since the paragaurd is hormone free, this is not to be expected. I am confused and frustrated. My neighbor has been urging me to go back to the doctor because she was never able to have children due to a ectopic pregnancy that went undetected by blood tests. I feel like to doctor will think I am crazy if I call her back. I guess if I don't have a period by next week, I better go back in.
I am having some of the same problems like the other women. My breast are firming up, sleepy all the time, feel weird movements in my stomach, and my black line showed up. I have my period last month but its was different and it cramped so bad and I have it again twice in a month and it still cramped and only spotted. I am scared because my hubby and I already have 2kids and I am in school and he just started a new business. We can not afford another baby right now, this Mirena is killing I know nothing is 100% but you really depend on birth control and I don't believe in abortions because I feel people need to take responsibility for their actions. When I had my 1st child I had my period on and off during the beginning parts of the pregnancy my body id weird. I don't have insurance because its so hi we have it for our kids though. I guess I might have to go to a clinic.  
I hope this helps. I had a mirena for almost 4 years. I had it put in post-partum at 6 weeks after having twins. I had the spotty bleeding after insertion also for about 3 weeks (which is normal)and it did stop. It was heavier at first than before the mirena but it did stop.

After that I also had many of the symptoms listed above...the feeling pregnant symptoms and the moving around feeling in the tummy...I thought I was NUTS...my MD did an ultrasound and I had re-occuring cysts...these are not harmful but they do hurt. My MD told me it is actually normal for this to happen several months after insertion and in most cases the cysts stop. I think that the issue should be pushed at the md's office for an ultrasound. Only you know your body and it sounds to me like they are checking for pregnancy...but are they checking for cysts which can cause similar symptoms with an IUD???

I have not had much trouble with the mirena after that....the cysts stopped and I have had no period for 4 years. I also did not have any side effects other than normal cycle stuff and I stopped worrying about getting PG so mirena was a good choice for me.

My husband and I now want to TTC so we went for counseling and my MD told me that I needed to wait at least 2 normal periods before we TTC. It does say in the drug literature that you can start TTC right way but he said that (in his experience) the pregnancies that happen right after removal have an increased chance of miscarriage or have more issues with bleeding in the first trimester.  (which is not mentioned in the drug literature.) it is probable that the sample size of the study was not large enough and that the women may not have been followed long enough after removal and may not have been followed AFTER they tested positive) I definately think that more information would have been helpful. I am sorry to see so many posts from women that are anxious...and I am sure it comes from lack of information which I think the manufacturer fell short on.

So, I had it removed on 4/7 with just a little spotting and cramping and I am now waiting to get AF. He started me on BC pills a month before removal. Now I am at the inactive pills and just spotted one day. I am disappointed I did not get AF!..never thought that would happen.

It is hard waiting, but my MD told me that it can take several months for my cycle to return to normal. I had hoped I would have 2 normal periods before July so that we can start TTC then, but I think it will just take time for things to get to back to nature again. I too wish there had more information available from the manufacturer and that I would have been warned that it could take many months to get PG after removal. At the time it would probably not have changed my decision because after having twins (at that time) I did not think we would have anymore.

I am sorry to hear that so many MDs may not be very informed or may not providing the information to their patients. I feel like I have had a good experience because my MD has kept me informed and reassured me that all the things I experienced and wrote about above were/is normal. I do not think the information the manufacturer provides is nearly detailed enough...especially considering that women are the consumers of their product.

Hope this will help...it helped me to share my story and reading all of the others on this board has helped to ease my anxiety!

I'm having stomach aches and no appetite and I'm bloated. I have the copper iud. I've had it for almost 3 years now. I've had  a clearish discharge too. I had my period and its been normal... but my boyfriend is now saying that he can feel it... I've been worried any advice? It scares me that so many people are getting pregnant from the copper iud...:/
I am wondering if it is possible that we are having these symptoms (yes, I am experiencing many of the symptoms that have been discussed as well) because each month we are truly becoming pregnant, but the fertilized egg just doesn't implant.  I have noticed the trend that the nausea occurs or is worse just before menstruation.  Does anyone know if pregnancy symptoms can occur so soon?  Has anyone heard of such a thing before?

Another weird thing is the fact that it is usually significantly after the IUD was inserted (like years) that the symptoms begin.
I've seen enough. I am gaining weight, having food aversions *typical for my pregnancies,* nausea, fatigue, mood swings, etc.

This is the second time I've had a mirena IUD. Last time no period - but no pregnancy symptoms either. This time I'm bleeding, and having all the signs. I am wondering if they lowered the amount of progesterin *or however you spell it* in the birth control - and now I'm getting pregnant, and losing it.

I have three possible options. 1. I am pregnant. 2. There is something seriously wrong with my body. *just based on the number of you who have also had these same symptoms, I'm ruling this out. It's not a coincidence. 3. This is due to the IUD itself. This third one seems unlikely, as I had mentioned previously, I had this before in 2005 and got it removed again in 2007, and this was NOT typical.

If it is the first the IUD has to come out, and I'm not using it again. If it's the third option I'm getting the IUD out because I'm not willing to go through even the fear of losing another baby. If it's the second option I will leave it in... though I doubt this is the case.

Either way I'm not risking it. I'm going to the Pregnancy Resource Center here, and seeing if they will do an ultrasound. If not I'll find someone who will. I absolutely detest the fact that so many of your doctors are telling you not to trust your bodies, and your intuition. They're wrong, and you need to get checked. My pregnancy test was negative, I will let you know.
Alright so Im 20 and I just had my first son Jan 1st 2010.  I had the Mirena put in sometime on Feb 2010. Ive bleed litely everday since.  2 weeks ago I started to get light headed, dizzy, nausious, cramping and fatigue. And to top it off my bleeding has turned into a deep red. I took a pregnancy test and it was negative. I cant really go off of my breasts cause Im breastfeeding my 4 month old son. IDK if anyone has any suggestions plz help! Thanks
Hey
So i have had the mirena about 2 years and my period have been coming on the same day every month till a few months ago. Then it started to come later and lighter every month. and this month i havent had it. I am so scared and nervous. I was just wondering if that is what yours did. And did you go to the doc about it?
Status update

I went to the pregnancy resource center on Friday - they wouldn't help me unless a pregnancy test came up positive. I went to planned parenthood - the insisted on a test but then recommended that I go to a doctor to get the referral for the ultrasound.

I called my doctor at 9 this morning. At 4:30 I got a call back from the nurse saying to come in tomorrow at 11:00 a.m. They want to do two blood tests to make sure I'm pregnant before they'll recommend an ultrasound. I'm going in, no insurance, to work out a payment plan and to see if I can get the doctor to call for an ultrasound.

Wish me luck?
Wouldnt u think they would just give in an give u the ultrasound I mean seriously...it would be so much easier and faster and they are being very rediculious! I hate doctors and Im hoping my symptoms go away so I dont have to deal with them for a while...Give me a status update cause I have the same symptoms...so just let me knw and good luck! ~  RiLeYtAyLoR2010
I first had the minera inside me almost 5 years ago and yes it is about time to remove it. Now i am abit concern about getting pregnant. For the past 4 years i did not have any period or tender/swollen breasts before. 2 weeks ago, my breasts and nipples are swollen and very sensitive and i feel a bit strange.I had unprotected sex with my bf in end April and he cummed inside me. My body feels warm for the past two days and this morning i took the pregnancy test kit and it turns out negative. Do you think i am pregnant.....?
Ok ladies, I have had the Paraguard Copper (non-hormonal) IUD for a little over 2 years, and never had issues until this past month. They came on suddenly, and SEVERELY, lasting over 2 weeks. I've had extreme nausea (especially in the mornings and after eating), severe uterine cramps, and bad lower backpain (and I'm 33 and never had PMS before). These symptoms have lessened over the past few days (but not dissapeared), but my breasts are enlarging and feeling sore, and fatigue is increasing. I'm also a few days late on my period.I have had two kids, so know pregnancy symptoms. I have not yet taken a test or gone to the doc, but think I will tomorrow. Sounds like the story of so many others on this forum, but this is not my main point of this post.

My main point is that chances are, we are all likely conceiving on a REGULAR BASIS with these IUDs in place. With the cooper IUD in particular, they are not designed to prevent conception, only implantation. My educated guess (I'm a biologist, so I hope that carries a little more weight than just having a blind guess) is that so many of us are experiencing pregnancy symptoms because conception has taken place, thus triggering our bodies to release pregnancy hormones. But in most cases, once the fertilized egg reaches the uterus, it either fails to implant or implants but aborts soon after due to the IUD (in the case of mine due to copper toxicity). But in a few rare cases, the implantation remains successful, and ultrasounds reveal pregnancy.

One thing I noticed as a trend in the posts here is that those few women that turned out to have confirmed pregnacies all had their IUDs in place for at least 2 years, and most were copper IUDs. This would make sense, since the copper levels in the IUD would be greatly decreased by then, increasing the risk of the IUD failing to prevent/terminate implantation. Supposedly, the Paraguard can be left in for 10 years....but perhaps that is the error of the company, and it should no longer be considered reliable after 2 years?

Anyway, let me know your thoughts, and I will let you all know how my results turn out :-)
Well well well. I'm not alone after all. I thought for sure I was going crazy. I have had my Mirena IUD in since Sept 09. I have had HORRIBLE mood swings for the passed couple of weeks. I feel depressed and alone. I can't stop crying. I have had ligament pain, fluttering, missed period, swollen (though NOT tender) boobs. I had a dream that I was lactating before I even had the thought of being possibly pregnant but when I woke up I didn't have any wetness. This is what started it all. My boobs were noticably bigger the next day and before I even said something to my BF he pointed it out his self. He keeps saying that I'm pregnant but I keep blowing it off as impossible. From the looks of things only about 2% of the woman who posted on here had a true pregnancy. I'll take a home test although since many of you have already done this and got a negative I believe mine will be too. I'm going to set up an appointment with my Dr tomorrow not only to check and see if I'm preggo but to also schedule an appointment to take this stupid thing out. I'm thinking about going on the Depo shots. What are everyone's feelings about Depo? And please for the love of George Clooney someone please post their ultrasound results! haha.
Hello All,

I am on my second  IUD. I just had it placed in Feb and I have been having soooooo many symptoms as you all have been having the "pregnancy symptons" and problems with this second one.

the first one I had placed in 2005 and had no problems at all! This one has been giving me so many problems and symptoms as if I were pregnant, mind you I have an 11 yr old and a 8 yr old and newly married just purchased a home and planning my "real wedding" for this sept . so a baby wouldnt hurt but as you can see I am a very busy person.

to make a long story short I have been having the problems so I decided to go to the ER last night and I have an ovarion cyst. I did some research and ovarion cysts and pregnancy symptoms go hand and hand, check out this website http://www.ovariancystsinformation.com/ovarian-cyst-signs-symptoms/ some of you may have the same thing and it needs to be identified immediately! I had an ovarion cyst before that ruptured and
I ended up having emergency surgery after that surgery they told me that I could never have children again. please get checked out ladies!

Thank you all.

I've been having the same symptoms for the first time in 2 years while on the Mirena and I've been looking online all day to find some answers.

The first site I visited scared me half to death, as all of the posts were from women who did indeed get pregnant with the Mirena. This site has calmed me down a bit... knowing that, while it may be possible, for every lady who said they got pregnant with it on the last site there have been multiple on this site who have have not confirmed a pregnancy.

I think it is good to know that we are not crazy... and that these symptoms can occur whether or not we are pregnant.

As for me, I'm going to go pee on a stick... maybe a couple. If they are negative, I will wait for other symptoms. If they are positive I will follow up. This is all I can do. It's not planned (obviously) but I think staying calm, cool, and collected is the best thing I can do until I know for sure.

Again thank you ladies!
Just wanted to comment to the biologist- I just turned 40-and have two kids-17 and 15 almost done with them!  and had a copper iud from 1997-2009-  NO problems- no pregnancies. I finally went in last summer to replace the IUD with a new copper one-

Research shows: When using the copper IUD, about 6 per 1,000 women become pregnant in the first year. Over 10 years of use, about 20 to 30 women out of 1,000 become pregnant.  

Last month, my period didn't show up- and now I'm worried I'm pregnant... feeling same syptoms (symptoms) that I had with my son-
Whether I'm one of 20-30 or 1  of 6 per 1000 women- I'm wondering if my lotto number just came up- we shall see.   guess who is going to go and get a test soon?
ACK!!  
to the ladies who went to get tests and ultrasounds...PLZ post the results so the rest of us can decide whether or not we should go to the doc too. So plz post them if u can...Thanks
This is likely my final post. I went in to the doctor and was told that they couldn't see me because of insurance!! I left and they called and said they could schedule an ultrasound.

The ultrasound tech scared me. He'd started by saying that I was likely not pregnant. When he was done he said "Has she done a blood test?"

The doctor called almost three days later and said that I have a ruptured ovarian cyst, but am not pregnant. She then asked after my symptoms and I told her. She said the likely causes are a hormone imbalance, thyroid or I'm in the early stages of pregnancy... so when I get insurance or money to come back in for a blood test.

I got painful cramps, and started my period. My symptoms are gone. I'm still going to get the IUD out.
I just found out that i am pregnant and i've had a iud in since april 16, i'm going for a ultrasounds with in the next couple days.  They told me that i could leave the IUD in and go on with the pregnancy or if they take it out i could lose the baby.  I did a test because i had sore boobs,  terrible cramps, and mood swings.  I have 3 children already so i know when i'm pregnant, but this time it was so confusing.  We had some wine one night and it make me sick, so i did 3 tests they all came back negitive.  The other day i was in the store, and my little girl (who's 17 months old) made a loud ear piercing cry and it made my boobs leak.  So i thought oh crap i'm preggers grabbed and test went to the bathroom and sure enough both tests came out positive.  I've also had blood test aswell and it showed up.   I'm going crazy not knowing where i'm at with this baby i just wish this IUD could of worked out and that i don't have to sit here losing my mind.   I'm still waiting on ultrasounds, where i live it takes months to get in so it's suppose to be a rush ultrasounds but still waiting.
I have had my Mirena in place since Feb 07. I have never had a period with it and never been able to find the strings to see if they are in place. My OB/GYN said this is normal but I should be able to feel the strings. She said last year it was where it is supposed to be, but I still can't feel them. Anyways about 2 months ago I noticed some weight gain and bloating sensation along with nausea and heart burn and sensitive breasts.....negative home preg results....so here I am 2 months later a little more heavy, bloated belly, once in a while a flutter inside and cramp like sensations, boobs a little bigger, ect....all the signs of pregnacy, took a test 2 days ago and negative results.....so am I just going crazy and getting fat or could I be pregnant?? This is so frustrating! with the sudden weight gain I would almost rather find out I was pregnant, but on the other hand, we are in no situation for another child with me in my last semesters of nursing school and my husband laid off of work.....uggh!!
So, I have been having the exact same symptoms...the sore breasts, the cramps, nausea, dissyness, bloated belly (look like im prego), moody, eating a lot more, but every time I want to eat I feel sick...definitely the tiredness.  I went to the doc in April and she said that she could feel my IUD in place.   I have never tried to feel for it.  I already have an 18 month old, and these are the same symptoms I had when I first got pregnant with her.   I've had my IUD (mirena) for a little over a year, and these are the first signs of pregnancy I've had.  I'm going to get a test tonight, but if it's just going to come back negative I don't want ot see it...then I'm not going to know for sure if I'm prego or not....ugh, what to do!
Hey, I'm 20 years old, I've been using Mirena over a year already, and for the first time I haven't get my period, 4 weeks and I still waiting. I haven't feel any pregnancy symptom, but my belly feels bloated and it kinda hurts; I feel tired, but since I work a lot I try to not think is that I'm pregnant..

I've been stressed out this past month, maybe is that.. or not. I dont know!!! :S Can someone tell me what to do, besides of course taking a test, that I dont want to take. ????
I have had the copper IUD for almost 8 years..recently i am having symptoms of pregnancy..headaches, my boobs are so heavy and not so much sore anymore I had my period a week ago but for 2 days and it was heavy but i always bleed for 7 days like clockwork...haven't taken a test kind of afraid that if it's positive i'm afraid to have it removed or keep it in just because of possibly hurting the baby  anyone relate to this?
I have had the Mirena IUD in Since May 2009. I have noticed weight gain, moodiness, nausea, tiredness, not sleeping well and for the past 2 months my breasts have been enlarged and tender, plus bloating, and being really emotional. I went to the Dr he did a urine pregnancy test. It was negative. Then he sent me for a blood test. Negative also but what he did find was an increase in the hormone Prolactin which is the hormone that "brings your milk in". So I am guessing that everyone with sore enlarged breasts have increased Prolactin levels. I have 2 children, 7 and 5 and I was certain that I was pregnant because all the symptoms were there but after 3 pregnancy tests all are negative. He even did 2 tests on prolactin to check that the first test result wasn't a fake. I only got the results of the second prolactin test back today and thought I would research the Mirena side effects and stumbled on this page. Now i have to decie whether to have the Mirena IUD removed so I can lose weight and get back to normal.
I am 22 yrs old and have three wonderful children, after my second child @ 17 I tried to get my tubs tied and they said I was to young so they put me on birth control, I got pregnant with my third little miracle @ 19 I was scheduled for a c-sections so I asked for my tubs to be tied at that time so I wouldn't have to have any other surgery, They said I was to young for you tubs to be tied still. So they did an IUD, I have had the IUD for a little over 2 years and have not had a period for over a year and a half. And now I feel like I am pregnant, weight gain, my Brest are leaking, I am moody, I feel like I am going to vomit, and I have taking a test but it is negative!  If I am pregnant I would love to keep the baby! Does any one know if the IUD will harm the child? Also if I am not pregnant does any one know what the heck might be going on? My doc. are sending me for blood test, to the Brest cancer center, to every doctor and their mother but can't seam to find an answer to my problem, this has been happing for about three weeks. They want me to go back to the Brest Cancer center to get my Brest injected with dye witch I have heard is very painful. I would love to avoid this at all cost!
If you have any info please let me know!
I have had my iud since Dec of 2008 and recently I have started have pregnancy symptoms. I've never had a "normal" period so when I had Mirena inserted my cycle completely stopped! I never had any problems with this except for now. I took a hpt today and it was a negative. I have a 2 n a 4yr old and honestly another baby is NOT in my future plans. I'm so worried that I might be PG and with some of the research I've done it doesn't go so well. Plz someone if you have any advice I would appreciate it and let me know how your dealing with this
I have read each and every post, and i feel the same way. I have had my mirena in since Aug 09 and have had normal periods since then except this month. when it ended on June 15 that weekend i had some light spotting 1 day then it went away...then a week later happened again.I now have not gotten my period this month at all...no spotting nothing. I have taken 3 tests all neg. went to the drs she said my mirena was in place but the strings were really short. I have had all the preggo symptoms. ( i know they are different from PMS i have 3 kids) And i have not had anything like this since i got the mirena. My best friend also had mirena took 4 preg tests all neg. It finally fell out she went to the drs and she was 8 weeks preg. I was just wondering has anyone gotten a neg blood test or maybe it was to early to have it done? and also when and if your period does not come and your not preg is it gradually or has it just dissappeared.? Whether or not i am this thing is coming out on monday...i will repost back with my findings
I have had Mirena for 2 years now, I started about 3 months ago feeling very sick, EVERY TYPE of Pregnancy symtpom out there I had, could not figure out what was wrong. At first the doctor thought that maybe my cancer had returned (cervical). But when i was able to finally get into his office last week (due to insurance) I found out that my IUD had become infected which had cause my uterus to swell and give me the symptoms. It was poisoning my system which is why I have been so sick, the Dr. has started me on some EXTREMELY strong antibotics. I go in tomorrow to have the IUD removed if it has not attached to my uterus. I also have felt the fluttering in my uterus as well, but it was explained as the infection in my system causing spasms. I will keep everyone posted if I find out anything different. Good Luck to everyone!

But I would never get this IUD again, this was something that was never explained to me that could happen. I would definetly recommend seeing your doctor and asking if its possible that it could be an infection of the IUD?.
I have had my iud for about 11 months now maybe longer. when i had it put it i bleed a little but it stopped the same day; After that i got my period maybe every 2 months now i don't get my period at all.. sometimes i'll feel very pregnant with my tummy getting bigger too. but i take a pregnancy test every month they always come up negative and my stomache goes down
I have had the Copper IUD for 7 yrs. and have had a 5 day long period all the time, never missed a period, never had symptoms of any sort all was normal.  I am now a week late, but have been spotting, sometimes light, sometimes heavy.  Could I really be pregnant, just like that?
I have had the Mirena for 4 years now.  This whole time I've had very light spotting or no period at all.  This week I started my period and it's been heavy and for 7 days!!!  I'm not sure what is going on...maybe the Mirena is running out of hormones?!?  Was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing!!
I have had the mirena in since my 6 week check after having my daughter(born June 23) I just started having all the pregnancy symptoms for the past 2 weeks. I have not had my period since I had the mirena put in. I am scard because I had to have an emergency c-section with her and I don't want to do that again. I am also not ready for another baby I have a 4 1/2 year old and a 13 month old. I dont know what to do, I dont want to go to the doctor and sound stupid....Please help. I have also taken two test both negative.
I had the copper IUD put in when my husband was in Iraq and was told since i never had a child it could come out. I never had any of the signs posted and my period stayed regular....ever 26 days to the day. well hubby came home and suprise suprise 3 months later i am pregnant....i was really confised because i could feel the string and it never moved. They said it must have been installed wrong. So after my daughter was born i did the pill...,.,Well i am one of those women that gains weight and cant lose it on the pill. my hubby wanted another baby and i had our 2nd daughter April 06 2010. the OB said if i did the plastic iud with a little hormone i would have an issue losing weight and it should fall out since i have had two kids. I will say this time it was so painfull to get it in and it jump started the first period i have had since having my daughter. well now my period is 4 days late and for the past 2 weeks i have been light headed and dizzy, throwing up, mood swings, I am breast feeding so my breast feel the same, i am so tired i cant sleep enough and cant eat something without wanting to throw up. Samething happened with both my daughters. I just call the OB that put it in and the said well you pregnany test was neg sooooo umm i dont know what to leave a message with the nurse. I call my normal doc and they are worried. I dont like that no one post what happens....so i will. I researched this and none of these things are listed as a side effect and if i am not pregnant and this is a side effect i will just force my hubby to wear condoms, Of couse my hubby has been asking me for two weeks if i am pregnant and wants it so...me not so much i just had a baby almost 4 months ago. I promise i will let you know what i find out.....because if these are side effects that is bull because it should be listed.  I still feel the string just like last time but i was pregnant last time.

ProudTankerWife
If it helps i had a neg pregnancy test when i got pregnant with the copper one for the fist 3 and a half months. It took and altsound to find out i was....I was told then that when you get pregnant with and IUD in and after you take it out that a lot of women dont have a positive test until 3 or 4 months pregnant
I has my firt Mirena put in March of 2005. The entire 5 years went great!! No problems and not periods what so ever! I had it replaced March 2010 and everything was going good. About 1-1/2 months ago, I have been soooo sick! Cramps, nausea, back pains, tender breast, the works. The only reason that I am questioning anything is because 1. I haven't had this problem in almost 6 years. and 2. When I became pregnant in 2004, I didn't have any smyptoms so i didn't know I was preggo until I was already 3 months. I took some tests and they were negative. But I am really in pain! I have an appointment on the 4th for my issues and also to have this removed for good. I would rather have a period than to live like this any more. I will post my results to those who are curious.
P.S.
***To the RUDE-KNOW-IT-ALL DOCS that posted their stupid opinions, yes, there is information the "handouts" that they give you. But women bodies are different. No one would need question if they were pregnant if IUDs were 100% effiective. However, people DO GET PREGNANT with the IUD. Which is also stated in the "handout". Maybe you guys should have read that before posting your comments. Next time, keep your comments to yourselves. Act like you are a professional and understand that people have the right to worry a form of birth control that is not 100% effective.***
Honestly I've had the mirena for not yet a yr I've had all the pregnancy symptoms u can amagine and I got a test one negative then one positive I'm 23 yrs old with 3 kids and just the thought of being pregnant is so confussing I've been feeling these syptoms (symptoms) for a while now and I don't want to end up on didn't know I was prego show lol but I'm so tired of the syptoms (symptoms) that I wish I was prego just so I wud know I'm pregnant unstead of on this birth control that just makes me feel prego I hope somebody figures it out before its too late for me
im going through the same thing..i have a 3 yr old and have had the mirena in for the same time. i just got married july 3rd. about 2 weeks ago, i started feeling very nauseaed, hungry, tired, tender breasts and mood swings too. my mom told me im pregnant and id be fine if i was. but since i first got the IUD i havnt had any periods. so i dont know how long i should wait to take a pregnancy test. i kinda feel like i am pregnant (women's intuition)
This is the most dredfull but also the most amazing site for me to fall upon..I to the T am having all of the same symptoms. I dont know what is wrong with me.. I have a son that is 3 years old and a daughter that is 16 mos old. I had the IUD placed to not have any worries about having another baby until planned, and now im more worried then ever!!!  PLEASE some one get back to me if they have any test results that may help me.  I have has very bad pains in my lower stomach and back, thick discharge that will come out like im peeing me pants (sorry) very sick to my stomach, and my breasts feel like they did when i was nursing and my milk would let down...someone please help me..    If private email works best please get back to me  ***@****  THANKS!
Hey ya'll, here's my update! I had mine removed yesterday 8/2/10! Yeayaya woooohooo! The removal ( mine had no strings and was too far up, so I had to have a procedure to get it out) wasnt too bad! It was only a 10 minute thing once they actually set me up. I had an IV and they gave me a sedative in the IV that didnt totally knock me out but I felt no pain. they inserted some sort of extra small camera (I didnt know this, it's just what they told me, I was close to knocked out) and went in vaginally and removed it. She showed it to me and I waited for about 15 minutes before they stuff wore down a bit before I left. It didnt hurt, I cramped and was a little sore and still a little sore now but nothing major. Lite bleeding right now and the nurse said I could do a 7 day cleanse to help clear out any toxins. I got yasmin birth control pill and I feel fine. I take the GNC multivitamin along with fish oil to keep my mind clear and B-12 (1500 strength) for energy. I feel grrreeeaaattt and I already lost 1 pound, prob water weight. I'll keep posted!
Update: i am pregnant with my iud and suprise I asked for the mirena iud they billed my insurance for it and told me it was the one they put in and my records should it. suprise suprise when they took it out it was a COPPER one. the first 15 mins of my ob appt the ob tried to convince me that i was depressed and having ppd since i just had my daughter. I was so anger i just told him take the damn thing out of me if i want mental advise i will go to a shrink. After reading all the comments i knew the ob would think i was crazy when my pregnancy test came up negative. he took it out and did his exam and i said this is taking a long time what are you doing. he got the ultera sound machine and Suprise he had to eat crow when there on the screen showed not one baby but TWO.....i told him I know my body and i give a darn what your urin test say. They took blood and no suprise that test said im not pregnant...but an ultera sound doesnt lie. he then said it is because you will abort because of the iud...havent yet. You can imagin how anger i was and still am...Still work on warming up to the idea of having more babies after having my 2nd daughter in April

I am shocked about all of this and looked up the FDA and found something everyone has to read
http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm219837.htm

The fda has found 5 states and still find more that have put in unapproved IUDs!!!!! say they dont work!! Please read because i took this into my ob and after saying I would call a lawyer if they didnt tell me where they bought their IUDS from found out my ob bought their iuds from this company and had no idea the fda was looking into it.

So i dont know if the FDA wont admit the iuds dont work or they this company is really to blame but PLEASE read it and ask the person that put yours in to make sure you dont have one from this company and get pregnant like i did...mine was in right and i only had it 3 months and had sex one time and got pregnant.
I have had my Mirena since Oct 2008 and have had a period EVERY month since then. I am now three days late and have really sore nipples, i feel bloated, extremely tired and nauseous. I took a pregnancy test yesterday evening after my husband got home but it came up negative. I feel the exact same way I did with both of my daughters (now 4 and 2).  At my last check up about a year ago my strings were gone and they had to do an ultrasound to make sure it was in place and it was. I am just freaking out because I know the chances of having an ectopic pregnancy. I am going to take another at home test in the next day or so in the morning but if it comes out negative again and i still don't have my AF, im going to have to go the doctor
Hi Ladies & Gentlemen (I know there are BF/Husbands out there too...)
   Well, I've had my Mirena in for just over 3 1/2 years now... but this is the first time I've actuall had these "symptoms." I don't know what to make of it. B/C doesn't work on me because I'm Epileptic and the meds that I need to take happen to process the hormones much quicker in my body rendering them very ineffective. So, basically it's just the shape of the mirena doing it's supposed job.
   I'm a 28 yr. old woman and I've never been pregnant, but I've also never felt symptoms like these before. Only about a month ago, I started to have symptoms of bloating, sore breasts, headache that presist constantly, I have super sonic hearing and smelling to the point of extreme irritation, I cry about nearly everything, and I get nauseous in the morning (afternoons and evenings seem fine). I've taken a slew of Preg-test. About 3 weeks ago, I took 4 tests, and they came up positive and negative, evenly. So, I went in for a blood test, which came back negative. I felt relieved, a little sad too, cause I wouldn't have minded a baby :)
   Well, now it being nearly a month later and these symptoms persisting, I took a few more home tests. 6 to be exact. Nearly the same variance in outcomes, 2 negative and 4 positive. I'm setting up doctor's appointment all this week to get it figured out.
   At this point, I fear if I'm pregnant, I will loose the baby and my boyfriend in the process over all the stress and raw emotion of the last month. I also fear my seizures will begin again soon because of the same fact.
   I will do my best to post any results I may receive from my doctors :)
Good Luck and best wishes to all!

(my appologies if this posts again... I had to join the site)
I have had mirena for 2 years and 2 months. First of all I want to say that the we have ALL had the same symptoms so they are pretty common. I am a very fertile woman...got pregnant with my 2 year old daughter while I was on the birth control pill, so I do kinda worry too when I have symptoms that are usually related to pregnancy. But I don't try to freak out about it because I know that (1) mirena can make your body feel "weird" things and (2) the most doctors do kinda blow you off when you go to talk to them about your worries. I hate that! But I also want to say that even though mirena is suppose to be like THE most effective BC (so I was told)...it IS still possible to get pregnant while you have it inside of you. The mirena is suppose to make the lining of your uterus very thin so the egg won't attach but if one does happen to it usually comes off soon and you miscarry before you even realize that you're pregnant or you can have a tubal pregnancy which is very dangerous. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one with the symptoms listed above. I was worrying because I don't really know anyone else (personally) that has mirena. My 6-9 months of having mirena I had pretty regular periods then it reduced to spotting then I would not have a period at all. Since Sept 2009 I would usually cramp once, spot once, and that was my period or I would not have a period at all. The past couple of months I have the 1 cramp spot once thing. I did get pregnant while having mirena but I lost the baby within a few weeks...I didn't even realize I was pregnant until I had the miscarriage...you will know when you have one because they are very painful & bloody & in my case the bleeding lasted for a few weeks. I am currently a little concerned because I have not had my "period" this month and I am now 20 says late and have "pregancy" symptoms but its normal to not have a period so all I (and all of you) can do is take a home test or talk to your doctor...even though most of them are *****. I wish you all the best and I hope this helped.
I'm in the same boat with everyone else that has Mirena! I have had it for 2 yrs and this week I have had what feels like air bubbles in my stomach (same as I had with my other two children ages 6 and 2), cramping at times and throbbing at times. My boobs are not sore but my nipples are tender, my right ovary hurts off and on (hx of ovarian cyst) and I have been urinating about every hour.  I wake up with a headache every morning and mood swings like crazy.  This has been solid symptoms onset 1 week.  I have taken 2 pg tests, both in which were negative.  I have an appt to see my midwife this Thursday at 10:00.  I haven't had a period in about 4 or 5 months now.  But who knows whats going on, maybe I have a bladder infection, but I don't know how those feel bc i've never had one! I just hate how the Mirena makes you feel oblivous all the time, you never know if you're gonna have a period or not!  I'll try to let ya know what my midwife says!
I've had the Mirena since the end of last year and i missed my first this month. I thought it was a little strange so i called the triage center at my gyno and the women said it was normal. She also said it was normal that i've spotted everyday this month. My breast are swollen and sore. I don't know if i should consider pregnancy as an option i just wanted to rant about the birth control because i don't like it. I haven't had any children but they put me on this medicine because i have epilepsy and i smoke (my seizure medication lowers the effectiveness of birth control) I'm curious if you guys think i should go to my doctor and receive a pregnancy test. I'm honestly a little worried, but the chances of pregnancy is slim. What do you girls think?
I am 37 yrs old and have had the Mirena in for about 1 1/2 yrs now. I have loved every minute of it until recently. For the first 10 months after insertion I had regular mp, but were very light. After that I did not have a mp at all. Now after all of this time the last three weeks I have been getting all of the symptom that you all have listed. (i.e. tender boobs, exteme tiredness, food cravings and nausea that only come at certin times of the day.Usually early afternoons until late in the evenings.) I have taken several OTC tests and all have come back neg. Is this normal after having the IUD for such a long period of time?
I have mirena and no periods and my dr said that it is normal for me not to have a period with mirena since that is one of the conditions of it or whatever. But yes I do get lots of side effects and I am in question of getting it removed. I would rather deal with AF rather than all these side effects and at least then I would know if i was preggers or not! The pill is what I will be getting on!
I have had the Mirena IUD for just over a year now. I don't have periods, only the rare spotting and normal discharge.  Generally I like this birthcontrol, BUT in the last two monthe I have gained eight pounds (not normal for me, fast metabolism) and recently I have had mood swings like non-other (broke down bawling becuase there was no milk for my Minni-wheat cereal) I have gone up a cup size and peole keep asking if I am prego. I feel like I am going crazy. Now I am throwing up and feeling nausous all the time. NONE of this happend in the previous year.

Crazy in Clearfield
I have had the mirena for 4 yrs and wow big surprise I'm having the symptoms of being pregnant too. It is very frustrating and wondering what is up. For the last year my periods have always been 2-3 days early, and fluctuate from being what I call heavy and extremely light. Occasionally I have months where I have prego symptoms, but get my af. This month it was 4 days late and of course I was worried. Took a test and its neg. Got my af but it is unusually light and still having all the symptoms and very dischargy also. I too am probably freaking over nothing, but I have 3 kids and don't need another soon. I smoke (I know, shame on me) and they never make me sick unless I'm pregnant and now out of the blue this month I cant smoke cause they make me sick. I know I have cysts but my ovaries hurt almost all the time lately. Really considering having it out cause I'm getting tired of the symptoms lately, but have loved having mirena. Its the only birth control I have been able to safely take so I'm extremely worried about using the rhythm method. I do want more kids so a tubal is out of the question. I don't want to anything bad about mirena cause I like it and I do believe it effects us all differently. I've recommended it to other friends, but they have had it since removed. I would get it again after next yr, but these strange new symptoms have me annoyed. Especially the nauseousness. I don't really know, but glad I'm not alone in all of this. You all make me feel better. And as for you mr keep your word, I think you are awesome to do all that for your girlfriend to help her through this!!!!
You may want to have the doc check it out.  I had my mirena for 3 years and never had any pregnancy symptoms until i had it removed.  My friend got pregnant with hers in though due to the way it was placed.  So if i were you i might call your doc just to make sure...
Hi I have had the mirena in since april 09. I have had spotting on and off since when ever my period would supposed to come I didn't get it my boobs hurt I have pains in my left side right above my cervix I recently started spotting again after two months free on sept 6 I went to the doc on the 9 she checked my strings and said that everything was gud and that the spotting was me having my period I took the urine test and it was negative but faint lines. Since the doc visit on the 9 I've still been spotting what kind of period is this. I'm afraid I may be pregnant and I will harm my baby I don't have health insurance at the momment and I don't know what to do I look at my belly and I look pregnant but I'm just not sure
I too, have been having off the wall symptoms making me think I'm crazy. I've had the Mirena for 3 1/2 years. I've been very fatigued and tired for quite a while. Approximately 1-2 months ago I started feeling extremely dizzy and weak, to the point of almost passing out. I have been having flu-like symptoms , headaches, nausea, cravings, feeling over- moody and over-emotional for 3-6 weeks. I also have not had my period in over a year. I took a pregnancy test today and it came out negative - which, from what I am reading isn't uncommon. I have an appointment with my gyno to run blood tests and do an ultrasound. I will keep everyone posted - as it does not seem like most come back to update all of us newcomers on this scary thing we are going through.
It's sad to say that reading all these comments makes me feel better, but it does. I've only had Mirena in for a little over 8 months, and for the past week I've been feeling bloated and feel little tickles in my stomach. I've had spotting for about a day or two periodically when my periods used to be, a little spotting in between but everything seemed fine until I started feeling those tickles (which are driving me crazy). My husband and I aren't ready for another baby, seeing as I had the IUD put in after our daughter was born, and she's only 9 months old. We'd welcome another one, obviously, but it's stressing me out. Oh also, I was never able to feel my strings, neither did the hubby. I tried, but couldn't feel anything. I'll be getting a pregnancy test tomorrow even though I'm scared of the result, and I'll be going to the gyno in two weeks. Wish me luck. :\
My OBGYN Told me that the mirana is suppose to stop you periods with in the first year. Generally, when a girl stops having periods they show signs of pregnancy because your body THINKS you are pregnant although it in reality you arent. The mirana has hormones that prevents your body from ovaulating. When eggs arent realeased the body produces the signs of sore stiff boobs, cramping (normal), food cravings, Irritable mood swings and so on. So as long as you are using other method of protection like condoms, or spermicide then you should be completely fine.

With that being said- I am a mother of 2 kids and have the copper IUD, with ABSOLUTELY  no hormones in it, and regular heavy periods. I have always had problems with this IUD but do to health issues cant be put on any form of hormone birth control. So to show these symptoms I am worried. I wasnt able to have kids supposibly and then my husband and I ended up with three back to back pregnancies. Losing our first, having the next two with in 14 months of each other, and now with my youngest being 8 months, I have had weight gain in the stomach only. I look 4 months pregnant.  I am moody-tired-weak-no energy-nauseated-sore boobs-swollen feet-water gain-craving ice chunks. All of what i went through with the last two pregnancies. My OB checks the strings but wont do any furthur test except tell me to remove it and risk getting pregnant. I have normal heavy periods but with in the last three months symptoms have gotten more frequent. How do I find out?
Hey Ladies,
     I'm hoping that I can clear a few things up for all of you.  I've had my Mirena in for a total of 3 yrs, 3 mos.  First, let me point out what has already been said by some-it is still possible to get pregnant on ANY form of BC.  Second, the symptoms that many of you are experiencing are completely normal.  I researched this IUD thoroughly and talked with people who had alreday had it inserted.  You will experience symtpoms or pregnancy, i.e., weight gain-anywhere between 8-10 lbs, sore breasts/nipples, cramping from time to time but above all, it is completely common and normal to MISS YOUR PERIOD.  Why, you ask?  It is because the device is designed to "trick" your body into thinking it is pregnant.  Because the body thinks its pregnant, it will not release eggs, or if it does, very few through the duration of your implantaion.  This is also why you experience many of the symptoms as if you were pregnant.  I have not had my period since the second month of having mine implanted and I have had many of the symptoms you all describe.  So again, normal.
     I do have a few suggestions...first, if you are finding yourself bawling continuously over small things or feeling paranoid easily, this device is not for you.  Its causing too much of a hormonal imbalance in your system and really, isn't sanity better...I suggest a switch to a different hormonal BC or another method of BC.  Second, for those of you considering a switch to Depo Provera...don't do it!  That shot has been proven to lower bone density with just one injection.  Lower bone density means brittle bones.  Brittle bones means an easier time of breaking them as well as an more likely circumstances of developing osteoporosis...an incredibly debilitating ailment as you get over.  Hope this helped and feel free to ask questions!  Best of luck all:)
Thank you soccertomato.. Grea info.

This is my second time having the mirena iud.  The first was great no issues.  I am now less than 1 year on the 2nd time around and having all the symptoms listed above (prego)  minus leaking breast.  That one seems odd.  I have taken 2 tests and they came out negative.  No inurance so no Dr. visits for me.  

What I would really like to know is, has anyone kept the iud in after having these symptoms and did symptoms ever get better over time?  Or does this preg feeling stay throughout the entire time having the iud?  So far this is the best birth control ever and im 39 so I know.  So im thinking it would be worth it for me to keep it.

A word on depo.  nightmare stuff.  Got fat, zero sex drive, felt sick all the time.

Thank you, Please reply if you know.
OMG.. This is so crazy. I've had the Mirena now for 3 years. I have a 3 year old daughter. Now im experiencing all kinds of symptoms you will have if you were prego. I have the headaches, cramps, backpain, fatigue, moody, guess wat else a stomach too. I even feel like i am. I took 2 test and both came bk negative...
The way you can find out like everyone else is to make them give you an ultrasound. Thats the only way to know for sure. Then let me know. Im going through the same. i look like im bout 3to4 months. i have an appointment Friday. ill post and give my results
So I finally went to see my doctor.  I am not pregnant but Having severe reactions to the progesterone.  My symptoms are:  swollen breasts, headaches, hungry, mood swings, tired, no period, boated stomach etc.  I swore that I was pregnant.  

I still have the iud and today I searched for an herbal remedy to help my symptoms.  I found something very interesting and I am going to the health food store today to try it.  **** Quai!  As I understand it, this should help reduce some of the symptoms by naturally reducing the progesterone.  Do not take if you are or want to be pregnant.  I also found to my shock that there are herbal abortions.  

Please, please do your own research.  I have no knowledge on this subject.  I am just desperate and want to help my self.  Of course your Dr. will never advise you on this.  So take your health into your own hands.  I want to post my results as I found it very disappointing that so many did not at at time when I needed help.

Hopefully this was helpful.
Viewing 1-200 comments: