IVF

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

IVF

Hello, I know I should be posting in the maternal and child forum but it is full, so maybe someone can help me here. I was wondering if anyone has gone through IVF, I have PCOS and possibly endo. Does anyone know approximently how much this costs and if OHIP funds the procedure at all (Iam from Canada). Also, has anyone ever looked into using A surraget, if so what is the procedure and what does it cost. I would like to keep my options open so any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading, Veronica
Hi, I have no idea about OHIP, but I can give you the pricelist from my clinic in California. I did IVF in feb 2004 (twins) and okt 2005 (it's gonna be a boy!). I only found the list from the first time, but I think it didn't really change.
Professional fees:
US 310$ (at least 5)
Retrieval of Oocytes 2200$
Ultrasound Guidance for Aspiration 250$
Transfer of Embryos 750$
Ultrasound limited to uterus (transfer) 250$
anesthesia 425$
lab fees:
Oocyte identification at retrieval 1160$
IVF cell culture (3-5 days) 1900$
Embryo transfer to tube 250$

If you need extra's, ICSI is 1680, Assisted hatching 600)...
Then, if you want freezing of embryos it is 1160$, and 1$/day for storage.

lab blood testing is also separate (estradiol, pregnancy, progesterone). In california you and your partner also need to do a HIV test (about 400$), I don't know about Canada.

And then of course there's the medication. It depends on how much you will need. They say 3000-6000$. It depends on how many vials you need/day. I started with 4/day, ended with 2/day, but it can go up as well (they average about 40/vial I would say).

I was lucky, my insurance covered everything except the freezing and I paid a maximum of 100$ per medication (so for me about 350 total). At first we had an insurance that covered 50% and we did a couple of IUI's, then we switched because the other one covered 100%, but only 3 attempts (regardless if it was a IUI or IVF), so check very careful what is covered and what not. Like, if we had used the one with 100% for the IUI's, we would have had to pay for the IVF procedure ourselves!

Also, check if they want to do stuff like a hysterosalpingogram (tubogram) or a hysteroscopy.

I never looked into surrogates, so I hope someone else can help you with that.
I hope you will find a way around the costs and pray you will have a successful cycle right away. Good luck!
Hi, thanks for the info and congrat's on your babies. Is there a length of time you have to be enrolled with a insurance company before the will cover such procedures. For example my old insurance company you had to be enrolled for a year before they covered dental. Also, do you know what the satistics IVF, how many women concieve (conceive) with it and what is the chance of having a multiple birth. Hope I didn't bombard you. Thanks veronica
Hi! No problem at all (I did a lot of research and am happy to share what I found out ;-)
Insurance: We didn't have to wait. I don't know that much about insurances/enrollment issues, but in my husband's company, you can change insurance somewhere in november and it's effective jan 1st the next year, so we waited for the new year to start. I also remember he checked if it wasn't a problem that this was a pre-existing condition, but it is a group-insurance, so they don't look at that. In theory, we could even change back if we have used the three attempts. (but I think 3 kids is more than enough!)
As for statistics, everything depends on your age and problem of course. We were "perfect candidates" because I was only 31, young for IVF apparently and because the problem wasn't with me (or rather, they didn't find anything, but in between the pregnancies I suddenly got an endometrioma?) and with IVF/ICSI you need only 1 sperm per egg, right ;-) So they gave me a 50/50 chance.
Multiples: we transfered 2 embryo's both times, with the known results. If you are older or embryo-quality isn't so good they may transfer more. Also, we had day 5 transfers which is a lot better than day 3. This also plays a role in the success-rates.
Here are the numbers for my clinic: http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/ART2003/clindata03.asp?Location=462
You can find many more on this web-site.
wow why dont you all come to australia here there is no real waiting list and the cost is only around $4000(AU)dollars my sil had it done in 2003 i now have a lovely nearly 3 year old neice i no others that have also done it why is it so expensive over there or is that a silly question.
Yeah, everything to do with healthcare is ridiculously expensive here. I'm actually from Belgium and over there they just made IVF reimbursable by the insurance (in Belgium insurance is really cheap, about 20$/three months and you only choose between catholic, liberal, socialistic or neutral healthcare although there is no difference in co-pays, it's just historically grown that way). So the government actually decides what you have to contribute and it's about 500 Euro per cycle. They limited it to 6 cycles I believe and also stipulated that under 35 only 1 embryo may be transfered (their idea is that if it works, it usually means twins and that costs more to the insurance).
Wow, thanks for all the info I better try to find good insurance.
No, OHIP doesn't cover IVF or any fertility treatments for that matter. If you go onto the websites of some of Toronto's major hospitals they can give your more info. Although OHIP doesn't cover the cost, a lot of insurance plans do. I know DH's covers IVF. Also, if you do end up having to pay for it, it is WAY LESS expensive than in the States.
HI TO ALL THIS IS MY FIRST TIME DOING SOMETHING LIKE THIS AND I WAS READING SOME OF THE THINGS THAT YOU LADIES WHERE CHATTING ABOUT AND I WANTED TO KNOW IF YOU CAN TELL ME SOME INS COMPANY THATS PAY FOR IVF. IM 25 BEEN MARIED FOR 8 YEARS (IN JULY) AND I HAVENT COME BEEN ABLE TO HAVE ANY KIDS I JUST STARTED TO DO IVF TREATMENTS IN T.J. MX CAUSE I CANT AFFORD IT HERE AS YOU KNOW ITS REALLY EXPENSIVE SO I WAS WONDERING IF MAYBE SOME ONE CAN HELP ME  THANK U
I really need to know about the surraget mothers. My husband and I are wanting a child and I can't carry one.
I am have been waiting 6 days after egg transfer and I have bad cramps. I even went in for egg transfer with slight cramps. I only had 1 fertilised but consultant said that is was a food quality egg, and was at stage 2 of fertilising. I fear my period is gonna come. Does this mean, I won't get pregnant??  What does bfp mean? Sorry new to this site xx