Increase in skin melanin and hormonal issues

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

A little more than 2 years back I got typhoid and that time my period was irregular and all of a sudden I got acne and increase in skin melanin of not just my face but my entire body. I used to have beautiful skin but ir all changed OVERNIGHT. As soon as I got my periods,thw skin darkening and acne disappeared.My skin got a healthy glow like before but after my periods got over the skun darkening and acne returned. Ever since then my skin has remained the same infact even worse. I look tired, tanned inspite of not going out in the sun and acne has reduced due to birth control pills that I had raken for 6 months. My skin used to glow only during my periods but since the last few months even that stopped. My skin has turned worse and it looks dull making me look sick along with dark circles. I did a liver function test,lh and fsh,thyroid,diabetes,addisons and adrenal problem,blood tests,hepatitis,androgens etc. I didn't test my estrogen though. My fsh was high and ultrasound showed pcos for which Im taking medications. Im not on bcp just some tablets called glycomet. Since the last 10 months I started getting fatigue, tiredness, chills and extreme drowsiness. Reports showed I got vitamin d3 deficiency and heavy iron deficiency. I also had low grade fever for 4 weeks. Im taking meds for iron and d3 but I still feel chills and tiredness. My eyes feel and look tired. My androsteridione and 17 hydroxypeogesterone are high. My endocrinologist says that I have no hormonal problem and its just pcos. My question is how does my skin radically change during my periods? my darkening vanishes. my skin turned dark all of a sudden which is not normal and spread to my entire body even unexposed. my health has deteriorated greatly. I feel depressed and low all the time. Please help me. It would be great if you all could even ask your doctors about this. It would be of great help to me :'(
Acne, irregular periods and depression can be due to PCOS for which you are already taking Glycomet. The tiredness and fatigue are due to iron and vitamin D deficiency. The change in facial skin can be attributed to the hormonal changes that occur during periods. Treatment for hyperpigmentation involves hydroquinone, azelaic acid, corticosteroids, tretinoin cream and laser treatment. Please discuss these options with your dermatologist before using them.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Make A Shake That Will Keep You Ful...
5 hrs ago by gymdandee
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
Dee1956 commented on photo
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals