Inner Labia ingrown hair?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Inner Labia ingrown hair?

I'm writing because I'm kind of concerned about something but don't have insurance or the money to get it checked out by a doctor.

To begin with, I haven't had a new sexual partner in 4 - 5 years and I have never had this happen before. I don't know if STDs can be dormant that long, but I figure it's good to give as much history as possible. I'm in my early 20s and I shave my pubic hair pretty frequently.

The other day I looked down to my surprise and saw a pretty big red bump on the outside of my inner labia! I don't even shave there and I didn't even knew I grew hair there! But it mostly just looks like an ingrown hair. There was a little bit of puss, white. And then a little bit of blood. It isn't painful, just a little uncomfortable. It doesn't burn or itch either.

I've had a cold sore on my mouth before (herpes) and know what those kinds of sores look like. This doesn't look like that at all. It's just one red bump, not multiples, not cauliflower-esque.

It's sort of in a weird spot so I can't really see if there's a hair trapped or not! It does look like an ingrown, I'm just not sure and it's kind of in a weird spot.

Does anyone know what this could be?
It could be an ingrown hair like you're thinking, but I do have to say since you do have a new sexual partner, at some point you should get tested for STDs, and with this incidence, it might be wiser to play it safe as there are other STDs oout there other than heroes and genital warts, such as syphilys. What I can suggest, if it is an ingrown hair, is to try to coax the hair out by applying moist wet soaks to the area, such as a warm washcloth. After this you can try gently exfoliating the area, getting as much dried/dead skin off as possible. You can use the washcloth or apply a scrub with your fingers. Next try to see if infact a hair does come up. You can do this by using a cotton swab and sweep in one direction to see if a hair pops out. If one does, use tweezers to pull the hair out, then apply hydrogen peroxide followed by some kind of Neosporin to kill, and ward off infection. I tell you this, but I do want to say, that again, STD testing is very important. Syphilis can appear as one soar in the genital region, and initially have no other symptoms other than that. If this is something like syphilis, you certainly do not want to ignore it. Since this is related to reproductive health, you can always go to a local Planned Parenthood for a free exam and STD testing there. If you find that embarassing, most counties have a county clinic and other free or low-income clinics that you can find by doing some research on line. I'm sure you know that in the long run it's a much better idea to get medical insurance, as you never know when you'll need it. There's CMS, Medi-Cal/Medicaid, and other programs for low-income people that you could always apply for. You can contact your local social services department or do some research online to see if you qualify and start applying, as the process often takes several months. Whatever this sore turns out to be, I hope you get checked out by a doctor either way, just to be safe and for peace of mind. I wish you best of luck in healing and am sending my best wishes your way! Take care,

Sara RN :)

Sara RN :)