Insomnia and birth control pills
I am 43 years old.  I have taken birth control pills in the past but had to quit due to insomnia.  I am at the perimenopause time in life.  I recently started on them again 8 days ago and the insomnia started the with the very first dose.  This is profound insomnia.  I cannot sleep without taking a medication.  I haven't slept for 8 days and will therefore have to stop taking the pill (ortho tri-cyclen lo).  I've had this same problem in the past with Nuva ring, Yasmin (the worst) and other low dose pills.  Has anyone had this problem and if so, what is causing it and how can I correct it?

Dear Reader,

I am a 23 year old Nursing student and I have been suffering from situational insomnia for 4 years. That is the amount of time that I have been on birth control so I am looking into hormonal testing to see if that is the problem. From what my doctor has told me, there is a strong correlation between birth control and insomnia in many women. It is due to excess hormones that consistently produce cortisol at high levels which may keep you awake. It's called the "tired and wired" syndrome from what I've heard. Whatever it is.. I hate it! I have tried every over the counter pill to sleep and remedy known to man and the only thing that puts me to sleep is strong anti-anxiety medicine which I don't want to take for the rest of my life!!!  I'm a worrier but not so much that I need to stay up 8 hrs tossing and turning. Any advice? Have you experienced similar situations?
Annellepe