Iron Deficiency Anemia and generalized itching

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Would iron deficiency anemia cause a generalized itch? If so besides iron supplement is there anything that could help to relieve this while trying to revive the iron stores?

My reason for asking because I had abnormal uterine bleeding for a good 5 months and around the time I started to get light headed from the obvious blood loss and lack of iron in my system I started to develop an itch. A lot of the time it even keeps me up at night. Benedryl doesn't help it and its not pretty much stopped helping me sleep at night as well.

I have seen my family practitioner, was diagnosed as IDA and have also seen my CNM  as well as been put on an iron supplement, as well as multivitamin with iron. My levels haven't gone up that very much either but its only been 6weeks since the initial start of treatment. The bleeding has stopped though and my CNM is happy about this, but is "sad" as she put it by the iron levels not having come up very much. I believe I was at a 7.9 and I am currently at 8.9 I think she said.

I am to go back to my family practitioner to look for other causes of my iron levels being still low but in the mean time is there anything what so ever that could help calm this so I can at least sleep at night? I have tried the whole oatmeal bath, moisturizers, lotions, milder soaps. So many things and nothing seems to help at all. I feel like I'm losing my mind at times because of how bad it itches.
have you been tested for a yeast or bacterial infection?  I am assuming the itchiness is in the vaginal area?  If not, I would certainly check into that.  There's also over the counter meds for yeast.  Perhaps try that and if you still feel discomfort, try to get in to see your Doc again.
Go to a healthfood store and buy primadolphilus (must be kept cold).  This helps to balance your good/bad bacteria levels.  I experienced this, as well, after about 9 months bleeding.  It stems from the mix-up of hormones, and the imbalance of the bacteria.  It could be related to yeast, but if you take about 3 of these a day, it should clear up.  Over the counter products, like monistat made it worse.  My gyno said to take this, and then gave me boric acid capsules to insert, which also helped greatly.  

Good luck.