Aa
A
A
Close
Iron Deficiency pills?
I was diagnosed with iron deficiency 3 months ago and was instructed to take one 300mg iron pill per day in addition to increasing the amount of iron I receive through diet, which I have been doing every single day for the 3 months.  My iron levels before the diagnosis and treatment was 8 ug/L (where normal is supposed to be 80ug/L to 300 ug/L).  

I was tested again after taking the pills every day for 3 months and my iron levels increased, but not by much. It's now 29ug/L.  My doctor says I need to aim for 200 ug/L range.  The doctor did not seem concerned by the fact that I only had a 21 point increase despite taking THAT much iron every day, but I am concerned.  Should I be concerned or is this normal progression?

Also, the doctor did not mention any concern over another area of my blood test results that seems problematic in my opinion, and would like your opinion. I noticed that since taking the pills, my Neutrophils level increased (they are now considered "High") and my Lymphocytes levels decreased (they are still within normal range but they decreased by 10pts since the original blood test).  Is this something I should worry about?

Thanks in advance!
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
134578 tn?1463413330
Try taking vitamin C with your iron.  It might help absorbtion.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Recent Activity
2020005 tn?1476662562
Blank
KTowne commented on photo
1 hr ago
4769306 tn?1451008167
Blank