Irregular Bleeding With Depo Shot

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Irregular Bleeding With Depo Shot

I started taking Depo in March. After my first shot, in April, I started bleeding. It continued after my second shot. I did not take the third and it has been almost 2 months since I was supposed to. The bleeding has not stopped. How long can I expect to bleed? And is there anything i can do to help my body get back on track?
What you are having is side effect of the depo shots and since it has been months that you have been bleeding, it is best to get an evaluation done from a gynecologist as you need medicines like ethamsylate to stop the bleeding. Heavy bleeding can cause anemia. Hence get an urgent evaluation done.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you very much for the info. I did consult my doctor and her idea was to put me on another birth control right away. I didn't feel comfortable with that, but I will request a visit and ask her if there are any other options. I was kinda hoping it would just go away but it's looking like its time to take action. I will make an appointment asap and let you know how things turn out.
I saw my doctor and she put me on 2mg of Estradiol that's the generic. I've been taking it for two days but have not stopped bleeding. I have a 21 day supply so, I am hoping I will stop.
I had a baby boy in May 2012 and after I had him I got on the depo shot and my son will be 7 months old Dec.15th and I've been bleeding a lot of the 7 MONTHS that he has been born I bleed for 12 WEEKS after he was born and then stopped for a week and then bleed again for a fee weeks ... Now I had my 2nd shot in September I'm supposed to go tomorrow to get my 3rd shot but I've been spotting for 8 weeks straight colors range from pink red brown and black and I've having horrible cramps I mean geeze is this normal am I ever going to stop bleeding/spotting ? Any advice or help please. Thank you :)