Irregular Period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Irregular Period

I'm 16 and have been having my period since I was 12. In the last 2 years I've really began to track my period and have noticed that it's extremely irregular in length. I'll get it for an average of 7 days but have 45-55 days between periods. I remember being told periods are irregular at first but I'm going into my fifth year having periods. Is this something I should be worried about?
Also I don't do any drugs, medical or not. I don't drink or have sex. I have very little stress and sleep well. My last period was January 28 to February 2.
At about your age, young ladies should start their visits to the doctor once a year to receive a pap-smear. You might already be doing this...and in the mean time you can continue logging your menses. I commend you for writing that information down.  If you don't already, make sure you include....
duration of periods
How light/heavy they are.
If there are any clots present in the discharge
If there is any pain and what type of pain you are having
If there is pain, what helps eliminate the pain (medicine, activity, etc)
Is there a correlation between symptoms of menses and diet.  For instance, do you get bloated if you eat a certain food during your period?
I suggest a visit to an OBGYN instead of a general practitioner for this annual pap-smear and give the OBGYN the information you have gathered for at least six months to give them a lead.  If they are not able to help, I suggest seeing a doctor from internal medicine or an endocrinologist.  BTW, this is often normal and if it is not...it doesn't sound like much to worry about.  Some women DO have different patterns of menses and there are no problems with their reproductive tract.  Question:  Are you on birth control?  If so, get off the BC.  Your body is too young to be adjusting with hormones and needs to have a chance to produce and adjust to your natural hormones first before adding BC.  BC should be added in the adult years if necessary.  I am not an advocate, nor do I believe in BC.  Modern day medicine, society, schools, colleges, etc. support BC. I suggest you perform research on what BC does to the young teens bodies if you are taking or considering BC.  Good luck.
Not a bad idea to speak to your doctor about possible birth control to get your cycle regular . Be aware of effects of weight change , anxiety etc that could effect your cycle