Irregular bleeding - Hysterectomy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Irregular bleeding - Hysterectomy?

I have had irregular bleeding, cramping and periods for the last several months. It started out as occasional spotting between periods and has progressed to feeling bloated, more frequent bleeding between periods, bleeding after intercourse every time, and cramping after intercourse. My periods are heavy and irregular - one month it will be 12 days in length, the next 2 days in length.

I've had 3 OB/GYN's who have suggested a partial hysterectomy (leaving the ovaries). They suspect fibroids as the cause because of an ultrasound I had. I am worried about uterine cancer as I have all the symptoms. If this was caused only from a fibroid would a hysterectomy be appropriate? Or could the bleeding stop eventually on its own if was just caused from a fibroid? I don't want to go through an unnecessary surgery, but I do want to know without a doubt if its cancer or not. Any thoughts are appreciated.
By the way, I should add I'm 38 years old and have been having normal periods since age 11. The pap smear I had about 5 months ago was normal.
Any thoughts? Would you go through with a partial hysterectomy for spotting all throughout the month or would you do a uterine biopsy first to rule out cancer then just deal with the bleeding and heavy periods?
For fibroids, Medications called gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) analogs (Lupron) are commonly used in the medical treatment of fibroids. Other than that surgical treatment myomectomy which is removal of the fibroid (by surgery, laparoscopic or hysteroscopic methods) may also be entertained. Last resort is hysterectomy.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Update from my original post: I ended up having a vaginal hysterectomy because of the bleeding. I was diagnosed with fibroids and some cysts. The hysterectomy has resolved all of my symptoms. They took my uterus, cervix, and fallopian tubes. They said with tube removal, there is growing evidence that it cuts hugely on the risk of ovarian cancer later in life. I am 38 years old, have had 5 children and was completely done having anymore since, so a hysterectomy was the right choice for me. I would strongly recommend it for those who are having issues and are for sure done having children. I love not having periods anymore and it has even balanced and regulated my hormone fluctuations so although I still have hormones/estrogen (I still have my ovaries), I am not having sore breasts or strong emotional changes during my cycle like I had before. I'm so grateful to have had the hysterectomy and not have to deal with anymore bleeding!