Irregular periods at the age of 18 !!

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Irregular periods at the age of 18 !!

Hi.My cousin is 18 years of age.She had her 1st period when she was 15.After that her periods come at the gap of 4-5 months which last for 6-7 days, heavy and smelly periods.Once she didn't get till 9 months.She also has a thick hairline under belly button and few thick hair on her chin and around nipples.Her body built is average.Is it some serious issue ? What could be the reason ? suggest some solution pls.

And,her height is 5'3".. Can she still increase her height if she wants to ?
My best friend sometimes only got periods once a year. There could be a lot of reasons. For my friend, she found out that she had a thyroid problem..but don't get all worried, as I said, there can be all kinds of reasons. Has your cousin been to the gyno yet, since she is 18? She should talk with her doctor about it at least.

It might not be serious, but it should probably be checked out by a doctor. And the height? She might grow a little more, but since she is 18, it seems unlikely.
Avatar n tn
Well thanks a lot dear. But what are these excess hair all about ? And does thyroid affect pregnancy later ? If thats the reason of irregular periods ? Can it be cured ? I hope its not something very serious.
Avatar n tn
hey, one of my friends just found out she has pcos and i looked it up and those are some of the symptoms that a women with pcos [polycystic ovarian syndrome] could have
Avatar n tn
What is pcos actually ? Is it curable or something serious ?
KTowne, and Belle313 commented on Belle313's status
KTowne 5 more sleeps!!! :):) Comment
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals