Irritation & Puffiness after Yeast Infection treatment

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Last week I started a 3 day over the counter insert treatment for a yeast infection. I was not diagnosed by a doctor but I have experienced  them before so I knew what it felt like. It started to get better and by the third day I would say it was pretty good. Except a little irritation still here and there. Especially after me and my boyfriend tried to have sex again once the treatment was over, my vagina and became very irritated. It burned and became puffy. Does this mean my yeast infection did not go away yet? Or is it just the side effects of getting over one? Please help! I also just started to take the L.acidophilus pills to see if that will give me some stability, thanks.
The 3 day treatment doesn't clear it up in 3 days. It can take 7 days or more to completely go away. The 3 day, and even 1 day treatment packs are just more convenient. I would bet you still have it, and the irritation from sex just further aggravated it. Sometimes, the OTC treatments don't even work, and you have to get the RX strength, such as Terazol. I would retreat it, and abstain from intercourse for a week-10 days. Incidentally, you CAN pass a yeast infection to a male partner.