Is it normal for your first period to smell bad?

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I got my first period about 6 days ago. I noticed the color turned from red to a rusty brown, and it smells absolutely terrible! I've looked it up online and asked different people about it, and they all say it's pretty normal, but I can't help but worry! This is my first time ever and I'm worried I might have an infection. What should I do?
No, this is normal. I've had my period for over 2 years and at the end it always goes rusty and brown. It's just the blood drying up since there isn't much left in your womb. The smell is also the dried up blood, that's why there are scented sanitary pads. This is totally normal though, don't worry.
The color is normal but not an odor. The smell could be that you aren't changing your tampon or pad enough. Make sure you do that because you'll end up with an infection otherwise. If you change your tampon or pad often you won't have odor. Change your pad before it gets saturated. A tampon should be changed about every 4 hours dependingon how heavy your flow is. It's recommended to use padsfor your first few periods but I hated pads so I never used them. I hear bad things about scented products soi wouldn't recommend them. Hope that helps :)
Thank you so much for your help!
KTowne commented on photo
1 hr ago
gymdandee commented on Gun Disarm Technique...
1 hr ago
Paxiled commented on Gun Disarm Technique...
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals