Is there anything bad about skipping periods with birth control?

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Hi there. I am on NuvaRing, started around the beginning of March. I decided to skip my last period, which was great, and I decided if the insurance lets me get it every three weeks I might skip my periods all the time or at least pretty frequently. Then I started wondering, is there any downside to it at all? Like does anything build up in your uterus that needs to come out? Just curious, thanks.
My doctor told me that you should at maximum go three packs/rings in a row without having a period, because apparently there's a slight increase in cancer risk after that.  So four periods a year seems to be the lower limit that's considered safe, although I think that going 4 months every few years wouldn't hurt anything.  The bleeding you get on the pill is different from a normal period--it's withdrawal from the hormones.  You don't have to worry about building up a giant lining over the course of three months.
Well I have Endometriosis which is a medical condition and the only way to stop the pain is to suppress the period so I take the BCP continuously and have for the last 7 yrs. I have had no side effects however I had no choice but to do this and I am not sure what the long term side effects will be only time will tell.

Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals