Itch-Scratch-Itch...uncontrollable labia itch

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Viewing 401-444 comments:
I suspect pinched nerves may be the cause of mine. How did you come by that diagnosis?
It's now January 2014 and I've been itch free since September 2013. Please see my previous detailed post from September 2, 2013. I use simple ingredients anyone can buy, but the combination of them truly stopped the itch in it's tracks!
I hope someone tries it and reports back here. This thread has been going on way too long with way too much suffering!
Elomet cream from Amazon. Dr.'s never helped with all their creams. Tried all the different stuff people recommended on here. Spent sooo much money, tried all the different steps, and still suffered for 8 yrs. Order Elomet!!
Crazy suggestion but decided to try since I had all the stuff on hand.  WOW... It worked.  First night was scared the burn was going to be unbearable.  Yes, it did burn but was tolerable.  The most amazing thing followed.....I slept ALL night long.  That was a first for many years. Thanks for the post and your updates.
I am soooo glad this helped you! Thank you for posting back. I know we all have different issues, but I also know someone besides me would benefit from this! I hope you stay itch free forever!
Best,
Katie
I've been dealing with this issue for about 5 years. I believe the reason for me is hormonal. I find that a few days before my menstrual cycle starts I start to itch in the upper creases of the labia major at night only. never during the day. It then disappears of it's own accord a few days into my cycle.
When it first started for me the itching was so intense I'd make myself bleed from tearing the skin whilst scratching but now it's quite dull and becoming less frequent. I know that if the itching is more intense than usual then my period will also be heavier than normal.
I also have noticed that now that I am not cycling - pesky knee injury - it doesn't occur as frequently or intensely. So my belief that for me the following issues are problems and may be an issue for other women:
1. Hormones - it may be worth tracking the itch cycle, though if it's everyday and not linked to a menstraul cycle it obviously isn't the case
2. Clothing - my constant gym gear and tight clothing was a problem
3. Hygiene - constant sweat from exercise or improper showers when camping made it flare up
4. The labia themselves - mine are larger than normal and my pubic hair grows slightly inside the folds which is quite normal. I find the hair on the inside is quite irritating
5. Pressure - being on a bike saddle all day plus a job that had me seated places a lot of pressue on the labia and made it quite painful

Cleaning the area with oatmeal based soaps that aren't perfumed have worked wonders along with showering or birdbathing the area and keeping it very dry has worked wonders. If the itch becomes unbearable oatmeal baths are very soothing and provided I haven't broken the skin tea tree or eucalyptus creams keep the area disinfected and help soothe. Also ice packs work well and an anti-histamine also helps deaden the itch.

I cant offer a diagnosis but I hope that helps shed light on the issue.

Hi Katie, I just read your post and Im going to try it out. Thank you for posting it.
Im about to cry from suffering this itchiness,. its annoying and painful. :((
I ahve a question for you.. Do you wach with water after using all this method? or u just keep peroixide the lasy thing on?
Alson one more thing.. Have you searched this : Lichen sclerosus ?
Im thinking I have this thing but not sure. I really would like to know whats this so we can cure it.
I will use your method but should we do this forever? I want to be cured for good :(
Hi, I hope you find relief with this method too. When I do it before I shower, when I get in the shower I rinse with only water (no soap). If I do it when waking up or before bed, no, the last thing I leave is the peroxide, but try to dry yourself as best as possible afterwards.
I've read up on Lichen Sclerosis, but in my case at least, I don't think this is it. If it was, I couldn't cure it as easily as I have.
One thing I noticed, if I slack off and stop cleaning thoroughly, (once I didn't use the solution for more than a week) it started to itch again. Not like before, but enough to remind me. So I keep a small container in my bathroom and just keep making the solution when I run out. I've even taken it on vacation in a small travel bottle with flip top lid.
I do hope it helps you! Let us know what happens.
Best,
Katie
I read all of these articles. I found yours intriguing. I did try it last night, after wanting to scratch certain parts to death.
You are right it does burn, A LOT. I was on my way to the shower, when it let up. :)  I did it again, burn, relief. I did use two pads, ( a liner cut in two), took it to bed, Again, I knew it would burn, it did, but then relief. It is now morning, and I have applied it again, it did burn for seconds, but ALL IN ALL, I have had much relief.
Thank you so much
Sooooo happy this is helping some of you! Thanks for letting me know. :)
I tried this but the burn was unbearable after "sticking it out" for a few seconds only... But then I have scratched myself raw in places. But will give it a go again, if I can only stop scratching long enough to heal!!
Ok, plucked up the courage to try this again, but only after icing the area for 10 mins first :-)  Tolerable this time!  I will persevere though, as it has got to be better than this itch!!
It really works for me. I use it all the time, because I've tried stopping and it seems the itch does try to come back if I don't use it for awhile. I've never had anymore sleepless nights though, and I had insane itching for years! Mostly at night, I never slept at all.

And yes, if you've scratched yourself raw this will burn terribly, but you'll find as you keep cleaning like this, you won't feel any burn at all, just clean.

I've taken it as another step in my hygiene now, like brushing my teeth. I just don't go without it. It's incredibly cheap to mix up too.

Don't give up!
Katie, have been trying this for about 2 weeks.  it seems to work to contain the itching so I can sleep - what a relief!  What I want to know is - has the "toilet paper" residue gone away for you?  I still have this issue with occasional itching during the day.  Please let me know, and thanks so much!!
Oh, you have no idea how happy it makes me to hear that more and more of you have tried this and it's also working for you!
Yes, When I used to scratch a lot I had...hard to explain...but like shavings or little pieces of maybe residual paper. Is that what you mean? If so, I no longer have that. I also used to have a smell, not necessarily bad like with yeast infections, but more like a stale smell? That's gone too. :)
Hope this helps.
Best,
Katie
This cream is wonder.. Ive used it too. But guess what? once you stop using it.. wait a week or two max and the itchiness with come back. ;(
I had to go back to it again for 1 week use.. I stopped and the itchiness came back again.
The problem is you cant keep on using this cream for that skin more than 2weeks.
Thanks for posting this.  I have suffered on and off for 40 years.  Have been able to control it with Cortizone creams but then it recurs. I have to stop the Cortizone has it's prolonged use is causing other problems.  I'm curious as to where you came up with your formulation. What made you think of using vinegar, sea salt, and hydrogen peroxide together - and in those particular amounts?  Are you worried about the long-term effects of hydrogen peroxide on the delicate skin in the area?
I found this solution on another forum, I didn't invent it myself. I only know it works. I was a healthcare professional for over 25 years, and I've also consulted with colleagues, and I'm not concerned with any adverse effects of the peroxide. To the contrary, peroxide facilitates the restoration of normal vaginal bacterial flora and has been documented to treat recurrent bacterial vaginosis. It's quite harmless, and in fact, beneficial to us down there!
I've had insane vulvar itching for about 20 months.  I've seen numerous Doctors, spoken with pharmacists, and wasted plenty of money on things that don't work.  I've tried so many different creams.  Some offer temporary relief.  The itch (and sometimes burn) is most severe just prior to my period, and during.  My friend told me about the hydrogen peroxide idea, so I will try your recipe.  I hope it works.  Hugs to anyone dealing with this!
I found this thread out of looking desperately for an answer as I have suffered from this horrible itch for nearly two years. Same blah blah blah as I have read here. Dr. prescribe ointments they help a few days and then it seems worse seems worse at night. KATIE, I read your story and the solution, had all the ingredients, Tried it right away, in five hours my itching was back but it was nearing bedtime so I did it again. Slept through the night, (except for my cat waking me up) woke up with no itching. The area even feels less inflamed, calmer, OH MY Goodness, what a relief. I have imagined all sorts of horrible things were wrong with me because drs. appeared to be unable to help. So far after only 24 hours I feel SUCH RELIEF, and pray it is for good and continues. I will follow this routine as you suggested for as long as it takes and I already feel for the first time in over a year, not preoccupied with the discomfort. May God Bless you for sharing this with those of us suffering. I was a tiny bit skeptical but am a firm believer in home remedies like this as for example raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar has helped my arthritic gout. So Katie Bless you for sharing and helping. Also I had faith in your post as it was STRAIGHT ON, down to earth and even humorous, yes it did burn like a son of a b****, lol, but it didn't last long. I think the only reason mine was back in 5 hours after one treatment, is I have had it two years, irritated from scratching and I feel the ointments drs. suggested irritated it further. The second application made a huge difference. Will keep you posted about my progress but so far so good, Again, May God Bless you for your heartfelt understanding of how some of us have suffered and sharing. You are my Hero today!!!! Best I have felt in two years. xoxoxoxo
Oh, im sooooo glad!! Yes, keep at it, I suffered for more than a year. And sometimes I slack off and don't clean with it for a few days...I can feel a slight tinge of itch! I go right back to it! I don't know why it comes back, but it must have something to do with a certain bacteria, or outside yeast (I've never had internal itching) or something. But in the meantime, I can keep it away and that's all that matters to me! I've been itch free almost a whole year now! Just getting a full night's sleep is blissful!
Thank you so very much for posting your experience and for your kind words of thanks, :)
Best,
Katie
Well I'm off to mix some up, this has got to stop...not bothering with the Dr. at this point.  I've been experiencing this for 2 or 3 months now, I can't imagine some of you dealing with it for years!  I would really like it to stop so, among other things, I can have sex with my husband..couldn't even think about it with this stupid stuff going on.
Just tried it without the Garlic powder, yep it burns a bit but tolerable.  Headed for bed still itchy, will post in AM on first night results.
Katie,
It's been 5 years and I just can't stand it any more.  SO excited to see your recipe....will try and report back.
Fingers crossed.
Lydia
Just tried this  as I had all the ingredients on hand. I was pretty skeptical as nothing has worked thus far. Minor burning for 2 minutes, then ....nothing. Mind you it has only been 4 hours but this is the first relief I have had in over 2 years. OB GYN didn't help  but this sure has. I am only hoping it lasts! So for you skeptics I say give it a try! Katie, this is an older post but if you happen to see this  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
Wow! I still can't believe it's helping so many besides me! But you're welcome. I used to itch for years, 5 years I think! And nothing ever helped me. I still don't know what it is, but I know how to keep it away, so that's enough for me right now.
I hope you get restful nights and no more itching!
Okay, I've just been scratching myself raw fir a month now.   I've only experienced this wheni inadvertently get I involved with poison ivy,  and then get distracted...same insane itch.  It's still a little early for poison ivy,  but what else could it be?.....

I've tried cortisone cream, neosporin (for the raw patches), and eventually tried good old (and I do mean OLD!) Unguentine -the pain gone instantly, but the itch comes back.  I was reading up on benzocaine (and what topical to find it in) and somehow discovered this thread, thank goodness.

I might have lichen, I think I have a little eczema (from dry skin in winter only, disappears in spring.  I thought it might be fungal or viral, mostly from went awayresearch mentioning 'toilet paper bits', so even tried plain old yogurt.  And it seemed to go away.

but then, I started eating a couple servings of greek yogurt (flavored) after giving it up for awhile due to having binged enough, and now, the itch is back.  So now, im going to go mix up a batch of your magic, and will let you know how it goes.   Thanks so much!.  
OMG, you have saved my life.  Your mix of sea salt, white vinegar and peroxide made the itch stop after one day.  After 5 years of wanting to claw at myself in public....I have found relief.  

Thank you thank you thank you for posting!!!!
SCRATCH NO MORE....  This is a follow-up to my input of 3/1/2012.  I have now been itch-free and "normal" with NO relapses (not even a twinge) for 2  and 1/2 years now.

I wanted to see how many more were still suffering so came to the blog site again, and was horrified that there are still so many remaining suffers.  My itching was directly caused by candida.  I have been taking Candida Cleanse (by Rainbow Light; 2 tabs in the AM and 2 in the PM) daily (alternating with Probotic 10 - 25 billion every 30 days). This is a permanent solution without having to put on daily creams/ointments or having to avoid certain type of clothing.  If nothing else, what have you got to lose.  Neither the Candida Cleanse nor the probiotics have side effects.  But whatever you do, Do Your Own Research! The internet is a readily available and powerful tool.

Best of Luck to Everyone!
Reading all the post after trying to find a  answer My problem is not just itching in the area BUT also in the clitoris like it is tender .Cant wear anything tight  or have anything rub against it. Have tried all the creams seen 2 Drs been tested Nothing I cant do normal things Anyone else
Do you mean 1-1/2 cups of the 3oz cup or 12 0z of vintage. Same with the peroxide.
I meant the 3oz cups, but if you'd like to mix more, just use equal parts salt and peroxide and about double the amount of vinegar.
Just to respond to V2Resident's post,

I also tried Candida Cleanse, and probiotics. They actually increased my itching, but did nothing to stop it. I was disappointed because I thought it would work, also thinking it was due to Candida overgrowth. I tried it for more than 2 months when I abandoned that and in a desperate measure tried the home solution and it worked for me overnight. Not to mention a whole lot cheaper than buying all those expensive products, which, by the way, you'll have to keep taking, so it's not a permanent solution either.

Different methods will work for different women depending on our conditions, so I suggest trying both - you've got nothing to lose except the itch!
I'm trying this at 2:30 at night.  It seems the cheapest and easiest "cure" I've read of all these posts.  Who wouldn't want to use household products to make something cheap and reliable?  Am burning like crazy but was ready for that.  I've scratched myself bloody so many times for a couple of decades.  Very exhausting and depressing.  I will let you know if it works!  Thanks so much for posting and I do hope this trick works.  I will be a godsend!!
I have just found this forum...I am so glad I'm not alone in this nightmare.  I have scratched myself raw for well over ten years (both vagina and bottom), it has taken over my life. I can't have a relationship, I hate exercising because any moisture makes it 100 times worse, I hate my vagina because if has turned on me. I know this sounds dramatic but it feels like my itch has taken over everything...I'm so embarrassed, depressed and ashamed :-(
Hi Katie, I have also been suffering from this for about 15 years now. It's totally depressing and I can't remember the last time I had a good night sleep without having to wake up because of intense itch.

I will be trying your method and have a question to ask (or to anybody who has tried Katie's method).

Have you tried applying the solution while there are still wounds from scratching? Or do you wait for the wounds to heal first before applying it?
Hi Amanda,

Take care when applying it if you've recently scratched yourself sore. It depends on your tolerance, but if you do it will burn! I've done it without waiting but I couldn't stand it so I had to. And after using the solution, take a clean pad with only peroxide and this will sooth it.

Hope this helps!
Katie
I know your post may be old, but just wanted to put in my bit.  I have had such itching and burning for about 4 months. I am a mature woman 62 yrs old. I went through 4 tubes of Canesten cream cause the doctor though it was thrush, but it was only on the outside.  Then, my female doctor told me get apple cider vinegar, and put one capful into 4 cups of warm water.  She told me to just take my hand and flush myself with this apple cider vinegar water. It was amazing. At first it burned, but it totally cured my itching and burning. My doc said the apple cider vinegar stabilized the ph balance and the reason I had so much itching and burning in the first place was that I had too much acid in my body.  The apple cider vinegar wash on the outside was a saving grace.  So good and Soooo cheap.
Hi Katie

I have just ordered hydrogen peroxide and sea salt so I can try your solution...I so desperately hope it works for me.  I've read all the posts so I'm hopeful it will work as well on me, but i worry that this has become a psychosomatic itch - this is pretty much what my dr tells me it is. I even had my labia reduced in surgery in the hope that less "meat" down there would mean less itch...no such luck!

I don't understand why drs are so unaware of this condition, I have had zero understanding or help apart from ever-increasing strengths of steroid creams.

Thank you for offering a possibly solution xxx
Wow, that was a drastic measure to have surgery for this! I do not think this is psychosomatic at all though, no way!

I hope you get relief when you try the solution. If you find it's not working like you hoped, add some garlic (either powder or fresh crushed) to it, because garlic is a powerful anti-fungal.
Hi Katie,
I am at my whits end with all this itching. Doctors tell me its just dryness (kind of like eczema) but no cream has helped and it seems to be spreading worse. So I too am trying you mixture. I started it last night. I will update in a few weeks to let people know if it worked for me.
Thanks for giving us hope for a solution.
Thank you...I wish you the best!
I am not one that posts or replies to comments, I just read them, but this time I just had to thank you soooo much.  I am one that is always skeptic about home remedies, but out of desperation I tried this and it works!!! I finally found this site last week in the middle of the night after not being able to sleep because I had scratched myself raw. I started this three days ago and now I don't itch. Really. And this has been going on for years. It's always been that every time I touched the area at all, like when wiping or showering, it would scream "scratch me, scratch me." Anyone reading this thread, try it.
I need the recipe please
Can you repost the recipe please?
Ok, so here's exactly what I did - I'm not saying these amounts have to be exact, but this is what worked for me:

It's further up on this thread, but here it is again:

I took a small clean plastic container, a small bathroom cup, the 3 oz size. I bought distilled white vinegar, a big jug, (it's so cheap) a container of sea salt, hydrogen peroxide (also cheap) and some cotton pads, the oval kind, you can get them at CVS.

1. Fill about half that cup with the sea salt and pour into the container.
2. Fill about a cup and a half of distilled white vinegar in next. (Note: don't use apple cider vinegar. It's wonderful, and I take it regularly, but not for this, because it can actually ferment and cause yeast to grow.)
3. Fill about half to a full cup of hydrogen peroxide and add to the mix.
4. Take a clean spoon, I use a plastic one, and stir this all up well. Some of the salt may not all dissolve so quickly, but stir it up as best you can.
5. Like I said, the first time I made this solution, I thought I'd try the garlic, because it is a powerful yeast killer, and actually used about a quarter cupful of garlic powder into the solution. I don't always make it with the garlic, but do use it for the first few times you mix this up,

So all I did was soak a cotton pad in the solution (make sure your hands are clean) and gently cleaned and pressed it against my vulva, and anywhere I was itching. The first week, I'd use 2 pads soaked, because I'd go all around the outside, then also press the pad up into the clit area, and into the vagina a bit, and even do this around your anus (last!) if you have itching there too. I will warn you, the first few times I did this, it burned like a son of a *****!! But it wasn't unbearable, and it just reminded me it was killing whatever was itching me. I sat on the toilet when I did it, and just left the solution on for a minute or so. Then I took another pad, poured some peroxide on, and cleaned everything again. I went to bed, but first made sure I was totally dry. The easiest way was to lay back and have a fan blow on me (a trick I'd use when I was really itchy sometimes to get a minute of relief!)

The first time I did this, I remember it burning a bit in bed, but not for long. But I swear, and I'm telling you all, I would not say this if it wasn't true, I slept the whole night without a single itch! And I have been for over a year now.

Good luck! The only reason I keep subscribed to updates to this thread is to see if it helps others. :)

Best,
Katie
Awesome!! The only reason I stay subscribed to this thread is to see if it helps others like me! :)
So on Friday the 25th I picked up the ingredients went home and immediately made my first batch and have used it twice a day for the last 3 days....IT WORKS!!!! I have NOT had the urge to scratch at all!!!  For me, it did burn like a #$%# and has burned a little less each time, but like Katie said, it's bearable...I'd much rather have that feeling for a minute or two than to want to scratch my skin right off my body...and that's almost the point to where I was getting to. I've been having this issue for 6 months-1 year and the Dr. told me I had dry skin and to try Vaseline after cleansing and drying...didn't work, I have tried a multitude of the over the counter creams, etc....nothing worked, I thought I was doomed to just live with this awful THING! If you are experiencing a similar issue, please give this a try. Thank you Katie for posting this!
Yay! One less itching woman in the world! :)
Viewing 401-444 comments: