Itch-Scratch-Itch...uncontrollable labia itch

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Viewing 401-469 comments:
I've been dealing with this issue for about 5 years. I believe the reason for me is hormonal. I find that a few days before my menstrual cycle starts I start to itch in the upper creases of the labia major at night only. never during the day. It then disappears of it's own accord a few days into my cycle.
When it first started for me the itching was so intense I'd make myself bleed from tearing the skin whilst scratching but now it's quite dull and becoming less frequent. I know that if the itching is more intense than usual then my period will also be heavier than normal.
I also have noticed that now that I am not cycling - pesky knee injury - it doesn't occur as frequently or intensely. So my belief that for me the following issues are problems and may be an issue for other women:
1. Hormones - it may be worth tracking the itch cycle, though if it's everyday and not linked to a menstraul cycle it obviously isn't the case
2. Clothing - my constant gym gear and tight clothing was a problem
3. Hygiene - constant sweat from exercise or improper showers when camping made it flare up
4. The labia themselves - mine are larger than normal and my pubic hair grows slightly inside the folds which is quite normal. I find the hair on the inside is quite irritating
5. Pressure - being on a bike saddle all day plus a job that had me seated places a lot of pressue on the labia and made it quite painful

Cleaning the area with oatmeal based soaps that aren't perfumed have worked wonders along with showering or birdbathing the area and keeping it very dry has worked wonders. If the itch becomes unbearable oatmeal baths are very soothing and provided I haven't broken the skin tea tree or eucalyptus creams keep the area disinfected and help soothe. Also ice packs work well and an anti-histamine also helps deaden the itch.

I cant offer a diagnosis but I hope that helps shed light on the issue.
Hi Katie, I just read your post and Im going to try it out. Thank you for posting it.
Im about to cry from suffering this itchiness,. its annoying and painful. :((
I ahve a question for you.. Do you wach with water after using all this method? or u just keep peroixide the lasy thing on?
Alson one more thing.. Have you searched this : Lichen sclerosus ?
Im thinking I have this thing but not sure. I really would like to know whats this so we can cure it.
I will use your method but should we do this forever? I want to be cured for good :(
Hi, I hope you find relief with this method too. When I do it before I shower, when I get in the shower I rinse with only water (no soap). If I do it when waking up or before bed, no, the last thing I leave is the peroxide, but try to dry yourself as best as possible afterwards.
I've read up on Lichen Sclerosis, but in my case at least, I don't think this is it. If it was, I couldn't cure it as easily as I have.
One thing I noticed, if I slack off and stop cleaning thoroughly, (once I didn't use the solution for more than a week) it started to itch again. Not like before, but enough to remind me. So I keep a small container in my bathroom and just keep making the solution when I run out. I've even taken it on vacation in a small travel bottle with flip top lid.
I do hope it helps you! Let us know what happens.
Best,
Katie
I read all of these articles. I found yours intriguing. I did try it last night, after wanting to scratch certain parts to death.
You are right it does burn, A LOT. I was on my way to the shower, when it let up. :)  I did it again, burn, relief. I did use two pads, ( a liner cut in two), took it to bed, Again, I knew it would burn, it did, but then relief. It is now morning, and I have applied it again, it did burn for seconds, but ALL IN ALL, I have had much relief.
Thank you so much
Sooooo happy this is helping some of you! Thanks for letting me know. :)
I tried this but the burn was unbearable after "sticking it out" for a few seconds only... But then I have scratched myself raw in places. But will give it a go again, if I can only stop scratching long enough to heal!!
Ok, plucked up the courage to try this again, but only after icing the area for 10 mins first :-)  Tolerable this time!  I will persevere though, as it has got to be better than this itch!!
It really works for me. I use it all the time, because I've tried stopping and it seems the itch does try to come back if I don't use it for awhile. I've never had anymore sleepless nights though, and I had insane itching for years! Mostly at night, I never slept at all.

And yes, if you've scratched yourself raw this will burn terribly, but you'll find as you keep cleaning like this, you won't feel any burn at all, just clean.

I've taken it as another step in my hygiene now, like brushing my teeth. I just don't go without it. It's incredibly cheap to mix up too.

Don't give up!
Katie, have been trying this for about 2 weeks.  it seems to work to contain the itching so I can sleep - what a relief!  What I want to know is - has the "toilet paper" residue gone away for you?  I still have this issue with occasional itching during the day.  Please let me know, and thanks so much!!
Oh, you have no idea how happy it makes me to hear that more and more of you have tried this and it's also working for you!
Yes, When I used to scratch a lot I had...hard to explain...but like shavings or little pieces of maybe residual paper. Is that what you mean? If so, I no longer have that. I also used to have a smell, not necessarily bad like with yeast infections, but more like a stale smell? That's gone too. :)
Hope this helps.
Best,
Katie
This cream is wonder.. Ive used it too. But guess what? once you stop using it.. wait a week or two max and the itchiness with come back. ;(
I had to go back to it again for 1 week use.. I stopped and the itchiness came back again.
The problem is you cant keep on using this cream for that skin more than 2weeks.
Thanks for posting this.  I have suffered on and off for 40 years.  Have been able to control it with Cortizone creams but then it recurs. I have to stop the Cortizone has it's prolonged use is causing other problems.  I'm curious as to where you came up with your formulation. What made you think of using vinegar, sea salt, and hydrogen peroxide together - and in those particular amounts?  Are you worried about the long-term effects of hydrogen peroxide on the delicate skin in the area?
I found this solution on another forum, I didn't invent it myself. I only know it works. I was a healthcare professional for over 25 years, and I've also consulted with colleagues, and I'm not concerned with any adverse effects of the peroxide. To the contrary, peroxide facilitates the restoration of normal vaginal bacterial flora and has been documented to treat recurrent bacterial vaginosis. It's quite harmless, and in fact, beneficial to us down there!
I've had insane vulvar itching for about 20 months.  I've seen numerous Doctors, spoken with pharmacists, and wasted plenty of money on things that don't work.  I've tried so many different creams.  Some offer temporary relief.  The itch (and sometimes burn) is most severe just prior to my period, and during.  My friend told me about the hydrogen peroxide idea, so I will try your recipe.  I hope it works.  Hugs to anyone dealing with this!
I found this thread out of looking desperately for an answer as I have suffered from this horrible itch for nearly two years. Same blah blah blah as I have read here. Dr. prescribe ointments they help a few days and then it seems worse seems worse at night. KATIE, I read your story and the solution, had all the ingredients, Tried it right away, in five hours my itching was back but it was nearing bedtime so I did it again. Slept through the night, (except for my cat waking me up) woke up with no itching. The area even feels less inflamed, calmer, OH MY Goodness, what a relief. I have imagined all sorts of horrible things were wrong with me because drs. appeared to be unable to help. So far after only 24 hours I feel SUCH RELIEF, and pray it is for good and continues. I will follow this routine as you suggested for as long as it takes and I already feel for the first time in over a year, not preoccupied with the discomfort. May God Bless you for sharing this with those of us suffering. I was a tiny bit skeptical but am a firm believer in home remedies like this as for example raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar has helped my arthritic gout. So Katie Bless you for sharing and helping. Also I had faith in your post as it was STRAIGHT ON, down to earth and even humorous, yes it did burn like a son of a b****, lol, but it didn't last long. I think the only reason mine was back in 5 hours after one treatment, is I have had it two years, irritated from scratching and I feel the ointments drs. suggested irritated it further. The second application made a huge difference. Will keep you posted about my progress but so far so good, Again, May God Bless you for your heartfelt understanding of how some of us have suffered and sharing. You are my Hero today!!!! Best I have felt in two years. xoxoxoxo
Oh, im sooooo glad!! Yes, keep at it, I suffered for more than a year. And sometimes I slack off and don't clean with it for a few days...I can feel a slight tinge of itch! I go right back to it! I don't know why it comes back, but it must have something to do with a certain bacteria, or outside yeast (I've never had internal itching) or something. But in the meantime, I can keep it away and that's all that matters to me! I've been itch free almost a whole year now! Just getting a full night's sleep is blissful!
Thank you so very much for posting your experience and for your kind words of thanks, :)
Best,
Katie
Well I'm off to mix some up, this has got to stop...not bothering with the Dr. at this point.  I've been experiencing this for 2 or 3 months now, I can't imagine some of you dealing with it for years!  I would really like it to stop so, among other things, I can have sex with my husband..couldn't even think about it with this stupid stuff going on.
Just tried it without the Garlic powder, yep it burns a bit but tolerable.  Headed for bed still itchy, will post in AM on first night results.
Katie,
It's been 5 years and I just can't stand it any more.  SO excited to see your recipe....will try and report back.
Fingers crossed.
Lydia
Just tried this  as I had all the ingredients on hand. I was pretty skeptical as nothing has worked thus far. Minor burning for 2 minutes, then ....nothing. Mind you it has only been 4 hours but this is the first relief I have had in over 2 years. OB GYN didn't help  but this sure has. I am only hoping it lasts! So for you skeptics I say give it a try! Katie, this is an older post but if you happen to see this  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
Wow! I still can't believe it's helping so many besides me! But you're welcome. I used to itch for years, 5 years I think! And nothing ever helped me. I still don't know what it is, but I know how to keep it away, so that's enough for me right now.
I hope you get restful nights and no more itching!
Okay, I've just been scratching myself raw fir a month now.   I've only experienced this wheni inadvertently get I involved with poison ivy,  and then get distracted...same insane itch.  It's still a little early for poison ivy,  but what else could it be?.....

I've tried cortisone cream, neosporin (for the raw patches), and eventually tried good old (and I do mean OLD!) Unguentine -the pain gone instantly, but the itch comes back.  I was reading up on benzocaine (and what topical to find it in) and somehow discovered this thread, thank goodness.

I might have lichen, I think I have a little eczema (from dry skin in winter only, disappears in spring.  I thought it might be fungal or viral, mostly from went awayresearch mentioning 'toilet paper bits', so even tried plain old yogurt.  And it seemed to go away.

but then, I started eating a couple servings of greek yogurt (flavored) after giving it up for awhile due to having binged enough, and now, the itch is back.  So now, im going to go mix up a batch of your magic, and will let you know how it goes.   Thanks so much!.  
OMG, you have saved my life.  Your mix of sea salt, white vinegar and peroxide made the itch stop after one day.  After 5 years of wanting to claw at myself in public....I have found relief.  

Thank you thank you thank you for posting!!!!
SCRATCH NO MORE....  This is a follow-up to my input of 3/1/2012.  I have now been itch-free and "normal" with NO relapses (not even a twinge) for 2  and 1/2 years now.

I wanted to see how many more were still suffering so came to the blog site again, and was horrified that there are still so many remaining suffers.  My itching was directly caused by candida.  I have been taking Candida Cleanse (by Rainbow Light; 2 tabs in the AM and 2 in the PM) daily (alternating with Probotic 10 - 25 billion every 30 days). This is a permanent solution without having to put on daily creams/ointments or having to avoid certain type of clothing.  If nothing else, what have you got to lose.  Neither the Candida Cleanse nor the probiotics have side effects.  But whatever you do, Do Your Own Research! The internet is a readily available and powerful tool.

Best of Luck to Everyone!
Reading all the post after trying to find a  answer My problem is not just itching in the area BUT also in the clitoris like it is tender .Cant wear anything tight  or have anything rub against it. Have tried all the creams seen 2 Drs been tested Nothing I cant do normal things Anyone else
Do you mean 1-1/2 cups of the 3oz cup or 12 0z of vintage. Same with the peroxide.
I meant the 3oz cups, but if you'd like to mix more, just use equal parts salt and peroxide and about double the amount of vinegar.
Just to respond to V2Resident's post,

I also tried Candida Cleanse, and probiotics. They actually increased my itching, but did nothing to stop it. I was disappointed because I thought it would work, also thinking it was due to Candida overgrowth. I tried it for more than 2 months when I abandoned that and in a desperate measure tried the home solution and it worked for me overnight. Not to mention a whole lot cheaper than buying all those expensive products, which, by the way, you'll have to keep taking, so it's not a permanent solution either.

Different methods will work for different women depending on our conditions, so I suggest trying both - you've got nothing to lose except the itch!
I'm trying this at 2:30 at night.  It seems the cheapest and easiest "cure" I've read of all these posts.  Who wouldn't want to use household products to make something cheap and reliable?  Am burning like crazy but was ready for that.  I've scratched myself bloody so many times for a couple of decades.  Very exhausting and depressing.  I will let you know if it works!  Thanks so much for posting and I do hope this trick works.  I will be a godsend!!
I have just found this forum...I am so glad I'm not alone in this nightmare.  I have scratched myself raw for well over ten years (both vagina and bottom), it has taken over my life. I can't have a relationship, I hate exercising because any moisture makes it 100 times worse, I hate my vagina because if has turned on me. I know this sounds dramatic but it feels like my itch has taken over everything...I'm so embarrassed, depressed and ashamed :-(
Hi Katie, I have also been suffering from this for about 15 years now. It's totally depressing and I can't remember the last time I had a good night sleep without having to wake up because of intense itch.

I will be trying your method and have a question to ask (or to anybody who has tried Katie's method).

Have you tried applying the solution while there are still wounds from scratching? Or do you wait for the wounds to heal first before applying it?
Hi Amanda,

Take care when applying it if you've recently scratched yourself sore. It depends on your tolerance, but if you do it will burn! I've done it without waiting but I couldn't stand it so I had to. And after using the solution, take a clean pad with only peroxide and this will sooth it.

Hope this helps!
Katie
I know your post may be old, but just wanted to put in my bit.  I have had such itching and burning for about 4 months. I am a mature woman 62 yrs old. I went through 4 tubes of Canesten cream cause the doctor though it was thrush, but it was only on the outside.  Then, my female doctor told me get apple cider vinegar, and put one capful into 4 cups of warm water.  She told me to just take my hand and flush myself with this apple cider vinegar water. It was amazing. At first it burned, but it totally cured my itching and burning. My doc said the apple cider vinegar stabilized the ph balance and the reason I had so much itching and burning in the first place was that I had too much acid in my body.  The apple cider vinegar wash on the outside was a saving grace.  So good and Soooo cheap.
Hi Katie

I have just ordered hydrogen peroxide and sea salt so I can try your solution...I so desperately hope it works for me.  I've read all the posts so I'm hopeful it will work as well on me, but i worry that this has become a psychosomatic itch - this is pretty much what my dr tells me it is. I even had my labia reduced in surgery in the hope that less "meat" down there would mean less itch...no such luck!

I don't understand why drs are so unaware of this condition, I have had zero understanding or help apart from ever-increasing strengths of steroid creams.

Thank you for offering a possibly solution xxx
Wow, that was a drastic measure to have surgery for this! I do not think this is psychosomatic at all though, no way!

I hope you get relief when you try the solution. If you find it's not working like you hoped, add some garlic (either powder or fresh crushed) to it, because garlic is a powerful anti-fungal.
Hi Katie,
I am at my whits end with all this itching. Doctors tell me its just dryness (kind of like eczema) but no cream has helped and it seems to be spreading worse. So I too am trying you mixture. I started it last night. I will update in a few weeks to let people know if it worked for me.
Thanks for giving us hope for a solution.
Thank you...I wish you the best!
I am not one that posts or replies to comments, I just read them, but this time I just had to thank you soooo much.  I am one that is always skeptic about home remedies, but out of desperation I tried this and it works!!! I finally found this site last week in the middle of the night after not being able to sleep because I had scratched myself raw. I started this three days ago and now I don't itch. Really. And this has been going on for years. It's always been that every time I touched the area at all, like when wiping or showering, it would scream "scratch me, scratch me." Anyone reading this thread, try it.
I need the recipe please
Can you repost the recipe please?
Ok, so here's exactly what I did - I'm not saying these amounts have to be exact, but this is what worked for me:

It's further up on this thread, but here it is again:

I took a small clean plastic container, a small bathroom cup, the 3 oz size. I bought distilled white vinegar, a big jug, (it's so cheap) a container of sea salt, hydrogen peroxide (also cheap) and some cotton pads, the oval kind, you can get them at CVS.

1. Fill about half that cup with the sea salt and pour into the container.
2. Fill about a cup and a half of distilled white vinegar in next. (Note: don't use apple cider vinegar. It's wonderful, and I take it regularly, but not for this, because it can actually ferment and cause yeast to grow.)
3. Fill about half to a full cup of hydrogen peroxide and add to the mix.
4. Take a clean spoon, I use a plastic one, and stir this all up well. Some of the salt may not all dissolve so quickly, but stir it up as best you can.
5. Like I said, the first time I made this solution, I thought I'd try the garlic, because it is a powerful yeast killer, and actually used about a quarter cupful of garlic powder into the solution. I don't always make it with the garlic, but do use it for the first few times you mix this up,

So all I did was soak a cotton pad in the solution (make sure your hands are clean) and gently cleaned and pressed it against my vulva, and anywhere I was itching. The first week, I'd use 2 pads soaked, because I'd go all around the outside, then also press the pad up into the clit area, and into the vagina a bit, and even do this around your anus (last!) if you have itching there too. I will warn you, the first few times I did this, it burned like a son of a *****!! But it wasn't unbearable, and it just reminded me it was killing whatever was itching me. I sat on the toilet when I did it, and just left the solution on for a minute or so. Then I took another pad, poured some peroxide on, and cleaned everything again. I went to bed, but first made sure I was totally dry. The easiest way was to lay back and have a fan blow on me (a trick I'd use when I was really itchy sometimes to get a minute of relief!)

The first time I did this, I remember it burning a bit in bed, but not for long. But I swear, and I'm telling you all, I would not say this if it wasn't true, I slept the whole night without a single itch! And I have been for over a year now.

Good luck! The only reason I keep subscribed to updates to this thread is to see if it helps others. :)

Best,
Katie
Awesome!! The only reason I stay subscribed to this thread is to see if it helps others like me! :)
So on Friday the 25th I picked up the ingredients went home and immediately made my first batch and have used it twice a day for the last 3 days....IT WORKS!!!! I have NOT had the urge to scratch at all!!!  For me, it did burn like a #$%# and has burned a little less each time, but like Katie said, it's bearable...I'd much rather have that feeling for a minute or two than to want to scratch my skin right off my body...and that's almost the point to where I was getting to. I've been having this issue for 6 months-1 year and the Dr. told me I had dry skin and to try Vaseline after cleansing and drying...didn't work, I have tried a multitude of the over the counter creams, etc....nothing worked, I thought I was doomed to just live with this awful THING! If you are experiencing a similar issue, please give this a try. Thank you Katie for posting this!
Yay! One less itching woman in the world! :)
I honesty have had this problem for over 2 decades now.  Have tried cream after cream and all that was left in the end was the frustration.  To say that I've bloodied myself in my sleep is the understatement of the century.  I've been doing this vinegar/sea salt/peroxide regimen for about a month now and although it's not entirely gone...boy is it better!  Before, there was what I always called "frosted flakes" on my labia as the skin would peel off...SO painful and oh so itchy!  My worst health problem ever and I feel better!  Yes it burns.  Yes it's worth it.  Like I said, I've had it for a long long time so this is no small case.  It's been HORRIBLE.  Thank you Kate, whoever you are.  Simple cheap ingredients and loads of help.  I do this twice a day and when I wake up itching so I can go back to sleep.
Oh! My word.  Had this problem for the last 7 years.  However my Dr said it never goes away, but prescribed persivate ointment,  it hels, but you need to always keep it close.  My life got better since persivate, and dove soap.
Katie,
I have had a terrible itching problem for 10+ years,  have been told I have chronic yeast and recently eczema.  I have been using a prescription cortisone creams for a couple of years and would still continue to itch every day.  I just tried your mix yesterday and am feeling much better already, I have felt the itch twice today.  Thank you so much for sharing this with us.  Obviously from all the posts you are changing ladies lives!
LisaG
Thanks LisaG!

I'm happy to hear it's starting to help you! I'm amazed it's helped so many! I do think it's a chronic issue, and I'm fairly sure it involves yeast. I know this because if I stop for awhile, the itch will start to come back. I'm hoping it will continue to work and the yeast won't get used to it and then become immune to it. In the meantime, I'm researching other things, like Candida cleanses and probiotics, among other things. I'll update if I find anything else that's useful for all of us.

It's mind blowing how many women have posted here thanking me! It makes me feel wonderful though! :) I hope we all continue to have relief and restful sleep! For me, although I'd itch during the day at times, for the most part it was always during the night.

Best,
Katie
I am so pleased I have found this thread. I've been dealing with this on and off for over 10 years. It's always in the same place and the place of itch, shall we say, is the size of a pin-head. I sometimes itch so much it produces a slight white discharge and everyone screams thrush, except it's not thrush as most of us know. In addition, I also get that paper thing you mentioned Katie... I always think it looks like the after effects of someone who has used an eraser/rubber to vigorously erase a pencil drawing. You know you get those bits from the eraser? And yes, the slight smell it's not bad or anything but it is distinct. And I love that someone called it a 'twinge' that what I refer to it as. It always start off with a twinge, I say to the many drs gyanos etc who just look at me like I'm mad! When it gets really bad I sometimes fantasise about the cutting the area out! I can wait to try your method, Katie. Thank you.
Emmmie please let me know if it gives you relief! I hope it does.

Best,
Katie
Hi, please help me!!

Is cooking white vinegar able to replace white distilled vinegar?
normal cooking salt able to replace sea salt?
peroxide is it baking soda?

Please help.. I'm really desperate and the itch is killing me for over 2 years now. Found no solutions and I'm too poor to visit the doctor. :(
I have been doing some reason and am thinking the problem you describe is psoriasis based. Pretty sure that is what I have been dealing with and from what everyone else describes, the symptoms are similar. I tried showing it to the GYN but thought that it was something "no big deal", I'd like to see them go cross eyed from this "no big deal".

I am working on losing 13 pounds and think that plus reduced stress will be the first thing. Mom had psoriasis that went away after she lost weight. Here's hoping.
White cooking vinegar is much more acidic than distilled white vinegar. I think it would be too harsh on your skin. Distilled white vinegar is very cheap and should be available in any local supermarket. I can get mine for $1 a gallon, and it lasts me a long time.
You can substitute table salt if you don't have sea salt. I just find the sea salt works faster.
Peroxide is not the same as baking soda, no. You need liquid peroxide found in any supermarket or drug store. It's labeled as hydrogen peroxide 3%.
Hope this helps,
Katie
Hello, I have this condition for few months, all my previous tests came back negative for stds. On 8/13/14 my GYN did a biopsy, and also blood work the results will be ready on 8/18/14.very scared !!!!!!!
i was told it could be seborrheic keratosis, or fungus from contact or from sex, I have the same partner for years never had this issue before since we both are free of stds.
I read all the post from all the girls that have the same issue, and the solution that you mentioned it looks that have worked for the majority of them. Can you please  tell me the exact solution the ingredients and the amount to be used.
Thank you

5. Like I said, the first time I made this solution, I thought I'd try the garlic, because it is a powerful yeast killer, and actually used about a quarter cupful of garlic powder into the solution. I don't always make it with the garlic, but do use it for the first few times you mix this up.

Best,
Katie
Guessing that the Hydrogen Perox. Salt and Vinegar work so well is that
considering  hydrogen peroxide one of the best household remedies available, second probably only to apple cider vinegar. Because it is made of just two natural elements, it safely and effectively treats health concerns. Much like ozone, H2O2 actually treats diseases and invasive organisms by oxidation.

When hydrogen peroxide is applied or taken as a remedy, it reacts with organic material and the substance breaks down into its elemental form – separate water and oxygen. This added oxygen in the system creates an environment in which most diseases cannot thrive or even live. This process of oxidation serves a fundamental purpose in restoring wellness and relieving illness.

I too have been on this itch fest , first my anus now my vulva- for over 10 years. Nobody has an answer so I have a trip to the store tomorrow- dont care about the temp discomfort. I need the itch to stop. WIll update as well.
Yes, you're correct on all counts. Also, salt in large quantities, is known, (even in baking - think bread) to kill yeast. The garlic is also a powerful fungus killer. So the combination just works well for me, and as I see, lots of others.
I wish you the best.
Katie
Excited to have found this post!! I am 31 and cannot remember a time in my life where I did not itch. It started when I was young. I can remember my mother helping me in the bath and she would snarl at me to leave alone my vagina.  I would always tell her, "but mom its itchy." She blaimed it on bubble bath and soaps. Maybe thats why I love a good bubble bath today, because I didn't have them as a kid. Growing up, mom always washed my clothes seperate and bought me "special" soap because she said I had "sensitive" skin. As a kid, I can only remember it bothering me at night and maybe if I kept a wet bathing suit on too long after a swim.
Today, it affects me 24/7. I want to scratch every opportunity I get. I scratch in my sleep, so bad that my husband has to wake me to get me to stop. The itch interfers in all my daily activities. I hate venturing where I know there isn't a bathroom. My coworkers must think I have a bladder issue, little do they know...!  I can be driving in my car and BOOM, there it is. Sometimes its a constant, dull itch, other times its like something is biting me and I could rip my labia off.  
I have not found anything that works, only temporary symptom relief, no more then a few hours. I did research into Ph balance and made some dietary changes, took antioxidants and probiotics but that didn't work. I finally admitted to myself that it's a serious issue and I need to swallow the embarrassment and tell my Doc. He wants to do a biopsy and I've been putting it off. He thinks it must involve the pores or hair follicles to have it develop in childhood. I am a nurse and it is so frustrating not knowing what this is and how to "treat" it. For so many women to suffer, you would think SOMEONE would know the answer.
From my experience, here's everything I know:
-It involves the outer and inner aspects of the labia majora, most severe along the edge, near the line of hair growth. Keeping the area trimmed/waxed is a must.
-Itching has extended toward the perineum as far as the anus, but is random and mild.
-Itching is most severe at night and early morning.
-Showering at least once a day is essential. Can be tricky to go camping.
-I've tried every type of toilet paper, underwear, soap and laundry detergent. It doesn't matter, whatever this is, it goes beyond environmental/chemical sensitivities.
-I use baby wipes whenever I use the bathroom, change underwear mid day and sleep naked. This helps with daytime itching only.
-Itching is affected by dryness or excess moisture. It's bad during and right after my period (I use tampons), and also after exercise (sweating) or sex (bodily fluids). I can't stand ejaculate and have to clean up right after sex or I'll never make it!!
-Xylocaine topical jelly is a girls best friend. Takes the burn/sting away from cuts, abrasions and raw skin.
-Its gotten worse as I've aged and has developed an odor. Vagisil wash helps the odor, but I still have to change my underwear mid day.
-It's a visous cycle > itching skin leads to scratching leads to skin abrasion leads to healing tissue leads to more itching skin and it goes on and on.

I don't think the problem is related to the vagina itself. With my nursing background, I don't understand how something in the vagina could cause a reaction to the labia majora without affecting the vulva, urethra, labia minora or clitorris. It doesn't make sense to involve a bacteria either, as an antibiotic could treat that. Other than scratch related sores, I have never had flakey, cracked, dry, or reddened skin in that area. I've grown up to realise I do NOT have sensitive skin and have never reacted to any products as an adult. I'm convinced its related something in the skin itself, and has nothing to do with eczema, psoriasis, or a dermatitis.
I'm curious if anyone has had a biopsy and what results did they recieve? This has become such a normal part of my life and I'm tired of fighting with the symptoms. I want to know whats causing it and fix the problem for good.
Have seen on some sites that hydrogen peroxide is discouraged as it can turn the skin white ? Wondering what your opinion is Kate
I've been using this solution for a year now, on an almost daily basis, and I have no changes in skin texture or color.
Hope this helps,
Katie
I've suffered from itchy labia for years.  My condition is not related to Candida.  I know that because I tested negative for candida, and also tried a candida treatment, to no avail.  I recently tried Tea Tree oil, and it worked like a charm.  At first I used it once or twice a day, now I use it a couple of times a week.  So far, so good.  I plan on trying the recipe from Katie to see how that goes (salt, vinegar and hydrogen peroxide solution), but wanted to let you ladies know about the success I had with Tea Tree oil.  
Wow, I can't believe some of you women have suffered the intense itchiness for so long!  I am only 22, so I guess I've got a lifetime of dealing with this ahead of me...  I have the intense itchiness I believe because of all the acid in my digestive system, like another woman said in a post earlier on.  I have an acidic stomach that has caused me issues in the past before I started taking Prilosec to reduce the acid, and I have extremely acidic saliva that burned cavities in almost all of my teeth over the course of only one year in Japan, where they do not have fluoride in their toothpaste or water.  So, naturally, if the rest of my system is acidic, so must my lady parts be acidic...  What I use is a feminine wash by the brand Summer's Eve (the one for sensitive skin because it doesn't have any perfumes that might irritate your skin - like it needs any more irritation!).  It takes a few washes to totally get rid of the itch, but it does work!  Even after the first wash, the itch starts to die down.  It neutralizes the ph balance, so it takes away both the itch and the kind of funky smell (it wasn't that horrible or anything for me, just a little off).  The good thing about it is that:  I've actually temporarily stopped using it because I just moved to Japan (my first time here was just study abroad, and now I have a job here teaching English) and I couldn't fit it in my suitcase, and it's taken me a good month and a half for it to start itching down there again.  I stupidly forgot in all the craziness of the move to Japan to order some to my apartment here in Japan, so now of course I'm intensely itchy again.  But it really does work!  For me, being in a foreign country, especially where I'm not super great at the language (I studied it in college, but I'm certainly not fluent and still have a lot more studying to go), it's kind of difficult to get ahold of the products I'm used to having easy access to.  So getting stuff like peroxide and specifically "sea" salt and "white" vinegar is difficult...  So for anyone who wants a bit of a simpler fix (i.e. one product that you can just order online or pop over to the store to buy), I highly recommend the Summer's Eve feminine wash.  Plus, there's no burning like with the salt and whatnot.  And once the itch goes away, I only use it every other day in the shower to wash in place of regular soap, so it's super easy to manage.  Just thought this might help some people.  :)
Hi everyone,

Sorry I took so long in replying. I had the same issue for almost 3 years, and I tried everything!!!! Well all the suggested (e.g. vinegar) lol So I went into my doctors & told her that if she did not figure this out I would be showing up regularly and/or ripping myself apart!!!! She did suggest at one time that I use an over the counter steroid cream  0.05% I think. I tried this ....it calmed the itch for about an hour then it would come back with a vengeance. I would wake up tearing myself apart. With all the reading/research I've done I finally suggested to her that she needs to treat me for eczema??? She gave me a prescription for Taro-Mometasone (Cream) 0.1% GM I was to apply morning & night for 1 week.....then once a day until the itch stopped. :))))))))))))))))))) Took about a week for the itch to disappear. :))))))))) After suffering with this for almost 3 years I can't believe it is finally over. Please save yourselves........ :) Good luck to all
prescription for Taro-Mometasone (Cream) 0.1% GM
Thankyou
Hey i am 20 and unmarried and suffering from itch in the outside area now for about a month.BUT i have been suffering from alot of this sort of problems.First i had severe burning during urination .but that i got over with.Then i had vaginal burning and doc said it is harmonal.And now this itch but only in the outside area on skin part only.I clean with water so dont know what to do just tired too go to doc.should i try ur method ???But i am scared never used stuff like that.(And i am unmarried).Moreover I dont think it is fungal cuz i used oil and vaseline like stuff even simple powder but didint work.And also there is more itch during morning and night and not during day time .HELP what to do??
For almost a year I dealt with intense recurrent labia itching, especially in the crease above my clitoris. I was tested for every std, bacteria, HIV, HSV, and yeast. All were negative. A few months later I went to my doctor and got tested for everything again and It turned out to be HSV 2 (genital herpes). It was devastating to hear this news. I've never had a break out, just intense itching and rash. I've been dealing with this for over a year now. I'm not trying to scare anyone but I just wanted to share my experience. Consider ruling herpes out.
OMG  thank you! thank you!  I have been suffering from this for the past few months and I've tried many things....But your recipe works!!!!  It burned like hell but it doesn't last long.  It was such a relief to find something that works in just one application. I slept really good last night :-)  I hope other women will find relief as I did.  thank you Katie! be blessed.
Viewing 401-469 comments: